Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Time Trial - Best Hardware to Buy?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 05:42 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts

I'm going to be competing in a 10 mile time trial this August. Since I almost always train by myself, I was thinking about things to buy to improve my aerodynamics anyway.

I'm assuming that clip-on aerobars are the considered the best 'bang for the buck' - am I correct? What would the 'top-ten list' of best bang for the buck items be?

Aero Bars?
Aero Rim in front?
Bladed spokes in front?
Aero/Bladed spokes in rear?

Other than appropriate seat placement (and the obligatory stem flip), what "free" items am I missing?

FYI, baseline is American Classic 350 rims, round spokes, no aero-bar.

Edit: This course, like all roads here in SE Michigan, is very flat; weight is almost irrelevant.

Thanks!

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 04-17-06 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-17-06, 05:51 PM
Snicklefritz

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a great thread and I'm looking forward to hearing what responses people have. Regarding wheels, I've seen a lot of people using disk wheels in TT's but those are generally very expensive. Has anyone tried wheelcovers such as the ones from wheelbuilders.com? I imagine that crosswinds can be problematic for disk wheels but at what point is it better to go with a normal back wheel? Can you look at the wind speed and make some judgement there?
Old 04-17-06, 05:58 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'd say aerobars are the biggest bang-for-the-buck item.

I've read some recent articles (was it in Pez?), that claim that an aero helmet was windtunnel tested to be more effective at improving speed than switching from non-aero to aero wheels. I'll see if I can hunt down that article. It would certainly be cheaper.
Old 04-17-06, 05:59 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Aerobars

HRM, and figure out where your LT is

Aero rim with bladed spokes in front - an older wheel like a Mavic Cosmic Pro can be found on ebay for like 40 bucks if you're willing to be patient. Its a few hundred grams heavier than a newer wheel, but it'll probably make up for it with its high rim profile and low count aero spokes.

Aero Helmet - I scored one on ebay for half price and it's in perfect shape
Skinsuit - if you're on a team or in a club, they should have one. Otherwise I'm not sure where to buy them

A closely spaced cogset, like an 11-21T helps, as when you change gears it'll throw off your rhythm if you make too big a jump. Check ebay for this.

Rear Disc- RENN is the cheapest but I'm told is of great quality, or you can scour ebay for an older cheap high profile rear wheel, like a Mavic Cosmic Pro

This is a great thread and I'm looking forward to hearing what responses people have. Regarding wheels, I've seen a lot of people using disk wheels in TT's but those are generally very expensive. Has anyone tried wheelcovers such as the ones from wheelbuilders.com? I imagine that crosswinds can be problematic for disk wheels but at what point is it better to go with a normal back wheel? Can you look at the wind speed and make some judgement there?
I'm pretty sure wheel covers are illegal now...bummed me out when I read that!
Old 04-17-06, 06:01 PM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm only doing two or three tt's this year, so aero bars are the only thing i'd get. don't forget to add a skinsuit and tt helmet to your list.

Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
Can you look at the wind speed and make some judgement there?
you'd find out from riding the course on the disk and making a gametime decision.
Old 04-17-06, 06:05 PM
Jakey
Feed me your soul!

Bikes: Torelli 20th Anniversary, Trek 2000, Kona NuNu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm gonna try a couple TT's this year... but I'm not buying anything. I figure as a beginner, its not going to make that much difference (10 mile course), and plus...it'll be nice to beat some jackasses with all the gear, on a $1200 bike and normal apparel
Old 04-17-06, 06:05 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah, here's the article: https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/defaul...lstory&id=3574

Look about 2/3 down the page in the section "2. Equipment"
Old 04-17-06, 06:26 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
I imagine that crosswinds can be problematic for disk wheels but at what point is it better to go with a normal back wheel? Can you look at the wind speed and make some judgement there?
Yes it will make a big difference, but it also depends on the rider's size and strength. When I was 15 years old, 120 lb, at a State Championship time trial in Lancaster CA (they say the annual wind festival is Jan 1- Dec 31) I decided not to risk getting blown over sideways and put my lightweight criterium wheel on the rear, but kept the Shamal up front. I heard stories about the 1s and 2s having a hard time maintaining a line once the course turned sideways to the wind for about hald the course. But it depends on your gut feeling. I would warm up on the disc and see how I feel, but have the alternative pumped and ready.
Old 04-17-06, 06:32 PM
Snicklefritz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure wheel covers are illegal now...bummed me out when I read that![/QUOTE]

I hadn't heard that. I thought that if disks are allowed for a TT than the wheel covers would be also since they are both trying to accomplish the same thing. Where did you get the info??? I'd like to read more on this before bothering to dump the $$.
Old 04-17-06, 06:49 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I personally think this would be the best hardware to buy...

https://www.personal-precision-progra...memachine.html

I mean, come on--It's only $14000...

DrPete
Old 04-17-06, 07:14 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Actually, now that I'm looking I can't find anything in the USCF rulebook that says wheel covers are illegal, but the UCI regulation 1.3.024 states "Any device, added or blended into the structure, that is destined to decrease, or which has the effect of decreasing, resistance to air penetration or artificially to accelerate propulsion, such as protective screen, fuselage form of fairing or the like, shall be prohibited. A protective screen shall be defined as fixed component that serves as a windscreen or windbreak designed to protect another fixed element of the bicycle in order to reduce its wind resistance." So I guess that means that unless you have a UCI license and are racing internationally, you'll be fine riding with a wheel cover.
Old 04-17-06, 07:30 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think uscf allows wheelcovers till Jan 1, 2007. I read it somewhere.

Here's a way to save a few bucks too. Just use masking tape to smooth out the vents in your helmet. Since like others said, a TT helmet makes as much or more impact than an aero wheelset. A roll of tape (which you'll probably have laying around somewhere) and you can easily fill out those non-aero vents.

Also heres some free time, work on your position. You want to minimize frontal area. Ride with your arms as close as possible, keep your legs as close to the top tube as well. And try to keep your upper body/head still. The more you look down and change positions, the more you disrupt the air and add time.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-17-06, 07:34 PM
Snicklefritz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nitropowered
I think uscf allows wheelcovers till Jan 1, 2007. I read it somewhere.

Here's a way to save a few bucks too. Just use masking tape to smooth out the vents in your helmet. Since like others said, a TT helmet makes as much or more impact than an aero wheelset. A roll of tape (which you'll probably have laying around somewhere) and you can easily fill out those non-aero vents.

Also heres some free time, work on your position. You want to minimize frontal area. Ride with your arms as close as possible, keep your legs as close to the top tube as well. And try to keep your upper body/head still. The more you look down and change positions, the more you disrupt the air and add time.

Hope that helps.
+1 about using the tape to cover the vents. You can't get more economical than that!

do you have some thoughts as to why the USCF will eventually disallow wheel covers? If disc wheels are ok for TT's why would they complain about the other? I don't see any real difference other than the fact that they are a lot less expensive than a disc.
Old 04-17-06, 09:05 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 about using the tape to cover the vents. You can't get more economical than that!

do you have some thoughts as to why the USCF will eventually disallow wheel covers? If disc wheels are ok for TT's why would they complain about the other? I don't see any real difference other than the fact that they are a lot less expensive than a disc.
Even the big guns do it. Most notably at the Track worlds.
Old 04-17-06, 09:12 PM
pedex
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
motor
aerobars
good position on bike
deep dish wheels:bladed spokes:OR disk wheels
aero helmet
skinsuit
shoe covers

in that order of effectiveness
Old 04-17-06, 10:27 PM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pedex
motor
aerobars
good position on bike
deep dish wheels:bladed spokes:OR disk wheels
aero helmet
skinsuit
shoe covers

in that order of effectiveness
+1 except I would switch the order a bit:
Motor
Good position
Aerobars
Aero helmet
Deep dish (or trispoke) wheels
Skinsuit
Shoe covers

The best bang-for-buck is the bars followed by the helmet (each can get you 1-3mph avg). Do an internet search and you can come up with aero time savings for various equipment. I can't think of the site right now.
Old 04-17-06, 10:30 PM
Snicklefritz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell
+1 except I would switch the order a bit:
Motor
Good position
Aerobars
Aero helmet
Deep dish (or trispoke) wheels
Skinsuit
Shoe covers

The best bang-for-buck is the bars followed by the helmet (each can get you 1-3mph avg). Do an internet search and you can come up with aero time savings for various equipment. I can't think of the site right now.
Regarding the helmet, some are relatively simple, and others have a plastic thing that comes down by the sideburn area. How much diffence would it make which one you use?
Old 04-18-06, 06:16 AM
james57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. position, position, position... aero but most importantly allowing full output & breathing properly
2. aerobar
3. stick some mylar on your std helmet if allowed
4. rear disk ...
5. suit ..

fyi.. I only got to no.2
etc
Old 04-18-06, 09:00 AM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Regarding the helmet, some are relatively simple, and others have a plastic thing that comes down by the sideburn area. How much diffence would it make which one you use?
I think you are speaking of the Limar helmets? It depends on your position. If you get low enough where someone looking at you from the front on the level sees that your ears line up in front of your shoulders (the wind passing your ears hits your torso), then the ear flaps are good. If your TT position leaves the level of your ears higher than your back (the wind passing your ears hits no other part of your body), they likely slow you slightly. Having said that, they are likely to be only a few grams of resistance either way (which comes out to a few watts saved but not much more).
Old 04-18-06, 10:26 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
Yeah, here's the article: https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/defaul...lstory&id=3574

Look about 2/3 down the page in the section "2. Equipment"

Thanks! So this is saying helmet, then aerobars...
Old 04-18-06, 10:28 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell
The best bang-for-buck is the bars followed by the helmet (each can get you 1-3mph avg).
Wow! I didn't expect to see anything resembling 2 mph out of one thing.
Old 04-18-06, 10:32 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Not that I'm planning on buying these, but where do the brakes/shifters go?
Old 04-18-06, 10:32 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts

because starting in 2007, UCI equipment regs will be enforced in USCF events, so see the UCI rule above.
Old 04-18-06, 10:34 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio

Not that I'm planning on buying these, but where do the brakes/shifters go?
brakes on the ends of the bullhorns, bar con shifters at the end of the aero bars
Old 04-18-06, 10:39 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Originally Posted by DrPete
I personally think this would be the best hardware to buy...

https://www.personal-precision-progra...memachine.html

I mean, come on--It's only $14000...

DrPete
I assume you'll lend me the money, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.