Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Panaracer VS Grand Bois

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Panaracer VS Grand Bois

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 10:39 AM
SoreFeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Panaracer VS Grand Bois

I'm running the Pana Racer Pasalea tour guard tire. I've been told by a reputable shop that Grand Bois is the same casing as the Pasalea but with a different trend. Why are we getting screwed on prices of the tires?

Can't Pana Racer get the Grand Bois into the mainstream acceptance? One thing that irks me about Pana Racer tire is that the sidewalls are cracking. I mean they are really starting to show breaking down.

I wonder if these tires should be treated with liquid latex when they are brand new. I would hate to pay over 50$ for a tire and have a sidewall show wear prematurely.

I don't think I'd buy a Pana Racer tire again based on the sidewall wear.
Old 07-29-09, 11:19 AM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
What ever are you griping about. Pana's cost like $15 a piece and last just fine.

If you think $50 is stupid money for a bike tire, then don't buy the GB's. I don't, why should you.

Sidewalls aren't intended to wear. Keep them away from curbs and brake parts. If you do ride through stuff that makes insults to the sidewall inevitable then shop tires accordingly. Just don't blame the tire for what you are doing to it.
Old 07-29-09, 11:43 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 6,684 Times in 2,609 Posts
I ride Panaracer Paselas and Grand Bois Cypres tires on various bikes in my fleet, and I have to say there's no comparison. I like Paselas a lot, particularly for their remarkably low price, but the Grand Bois tires are a whole different ballgame. They have a much more flexible sidewall, and a much more cushy but fast ride. And, of course, cost four times as much. I do have to say that Pasela TGs are far more durable than the Grand Bois tires I've owned, but you give up a fair amount of riding pleasure for that durability. My commuting and hauling bikes have Paselas. And so do most of my dedicated road-riding bikes, but a few are outfitted with Grand Bois tires. I'm sure to bring spare tubes when riding with those.

Neal