Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

aerospoke front wheels...why?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-07, 05:06 PM
eddiec33
Cement sea swashbuckler

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Super Record conversion SS, 2003 Bianchi Pista Street, 2007 Mercier Kilo TT complete custom fab. to smoke your beech*****

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shaved my pubes to go faster?
Old 08-23-07, 05:23 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eddiec33
I shaved my pubes to go faster?
this is a serious ? so no battering since i always wanted to know
why shave anyway (ex: armpits, pubes, legs)? it must be there for a reason right? other than a comfort/aestestics thing, is there any other reason to do it?
Old 08-23-07, 05:28 PM
ryanlovesyou
veggieburglar

Bikes: 60s Peugeot conversion, 2002 Santa Cruz Heckler, 2007 Bianchi "Everyone has one" Pista, Beat up Beach Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyeswho
this is a serious ? so no battering since i always wanted to know
why shave anyway (ex: armpits, pubes, legs)? it must be there for a reason right? other than a comfort/aestestics thing, is there any other reason to do it?
It helps with road rash. Also, I've heard that pro racers do it because it makes it much easier to get their post-race massage.
Old 08-23-07, 05:31 PM
deathhare
:jarckass:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cooler body temp?
Old 08-23-07, 05:34 PM
aussie_SS
convict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tudor
Anyone notice the puncture repair kit under her saddle?
That's a Power Tap read-out from the cranks.
Old 08-23-07, 05:40 PM
mykrrrr
o harro buttercup

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Sting Ray Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
now that's just absurd.

especially considering that there will be plenty of smoke resulting from burnin' suckas with the flamethrower.

rockets are still stuck in R&D.

GOLDENSKELETRONZ! sales from the BrickOSpoke(NJS) will fund R&D of the PHAROAHSPOKE. not to mention toe OREOSPOKE and the AEROSPOKE-SPECIFIC EDIBLE SPOKEYDOKE:

...trust me man. ray smuckles gives unfallible business guidance.
What if I need to get away from someone trying to co-opt my already co-opted existance??? I'd definitely need a smokescreen for that. Flamethrower is for targets in front of me not behind.

A wheel made completely out of a donut??? Now that's thinking outside the box!!!!
Old 08-23-07, 05:59 PM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kol.klink, Aerospokes aren't cheap. $300 could get you a handbuilt Deep V wheelset pretty easy, and you wouldn't be hauling nearly as much weight.
Old 07-20-10, 09:51 AM
Tone_8

Bikes: Surly "Big Dummy" long-tail cargo bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I WAS a messenger and DID use Aerospokes for practical reasons

I realize this thread is a few years old, but I just came across it and it annoys me a great deal that a number of people are calling some messengers "hipsters" because they "say" they like to use Aerospokes for practical reasons.
Let me clarify something first... I do not ride track bikes, but I know plenty of professional full-time long-term messengers, who do ride track bikes. I actually ride a long-tail cargo bike, and did so for many years when I worked as a messenger in New York City... and I used Aerospoke brand front & back wheels on my cargo bike.
I used Aerospokes not so much for supposed aerodynamic reasons, but because they were bomb-proof. I have carried so much stuff on my bike and they never failed me. People on this thread seem to be forgetting something about Aerospokes... you do not have to true them! Imagine if you had to pay your rent and feed yourself by working at a totally commission-based job, which you completely depended on your bike for. You would want your bike to NOT fail on you! You would want it as low-maintenance as possible to take on all types of weather and heavy NYC traffic on a daily basis. Fixed bikes are as low maintenance as possible, but in my own case with my cargo bike even I kept my bike down to two or three gears up-front for less maintenance issues in the rear wheel.
Apart from never having to true an Aerospoke wheel... the benefits in locking through an Aerospoke wheel are TOTALLY accurate. Anyone, who argues against that point, has never had to lock and unlock a bike 50-100 times in a day. In New York City especially, most messengers use 3' long Kryptonite chains for extra security reasons compared to U-locks. A chain is that much harder to run through a conventional wire-spoke wheel than an Aerospoke, and a chain causes a lot more damage over time (more truing necessary), especially if you are in a super rush and you end up pulling the chain through fast. Also, if you are out in freezing conditions, the less cold and possibly wet metal you have to physically manipulate a chain through with your fingers is almost worth it on its own.
Most messengers will lock up their front wheel and frame with a lock. If you are riding a track bike, this allows you to keep a quick-release wheel up front for easier flat fixes. With a track bike, you can not really run a quick-release rear wheel for various reasons, so bolts are necessary. Most thieves-of-opportunity will not want to bother with stealing only a rear wheel if it needs specific tools to remove.

I do not know why some people are saying Aeropsokes are cheap. The name-brand quality 5-spoke carbon-fiber Aerospokes are definitely NOT cheap, so I do not know what people are talking about. Any thief in his or her right mind would try to steal one, even if it was bolted on instead of quick-release. That is yet another reason why messengers would not bother with one in the rear, since they lock up their front wheel and frame.
Another reason for not having the rear wheel, which some people have stated, is because Aerospokes can not really stand up to fixed-gear usage. They might be fine on the track, but imagine having to brake constantly in traffic with just your rear fixed-wheel as your brake. The carbon-fiber simply will not stand up over the daily constant and harsh usage, which a messenger would put it through.

So... sure an Aerospoke looks cool, but if you are calling hard working full-time professional messengers "trendy"... you have no idea what you are talking about. By the way, for the record I am no longer a messenger since I have moved to Pennsylvania, but I still ride my cargo bike with my Aerospokes. I only changed them once when I upgraded to disc brake models, but other than that I have had the same ones for over several years and lots of usage... and without ever having to true them! If that kind of usage on a cargo bike does not stand up to the argument for the practicality of Aeropsokes rather than just cool looks, then you can look at my current sweet ride here:
https://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/DLG-LitOnPorch.jpg
or my older set up here:
https://www.cranksgiving.net/xs/lunarload-angle.jpg
If you do not think that proves genuine Aerospokes are bomb-proof, then try that same load on a typical spoked wheel.

Ride safe,
_TONE_
Old 08-24-10, 12:24 PM
BATMANs

Bikes: Softride (Classic & RockeTT), Griffen Vulcan, Litech Magnesium rigid bike, Raleigh FS MTB, Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my Aerospoke:

Old 08-24-10, 12:39 PM
discoattheprom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That bike looks like a banana.
Old 08-24-10, 07:56 PM
rustybrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by discoattheprom
That bike looks like a banana.
That bike looks wicked fast.
Old 08-25-10, 01:03 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rustybrown
That bike looks wicked fast.
too bad the handle bar is almost level with the saddle
Old 08-25-10, 01:23 AM
rustybrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Set up for comfort in the drops. Always aero.
Old 08-25-10, 11:13 AM
BATMANs

Bikes: Softride (Classic & RockeTT), Griffen Vulcan, Litech Magnesium rigid bike, Raleigh FS MTB, Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustybrown
Set up for comfort in the drops. Always aero.
You are correct.

My back injury limits the my movement where I'm not as limber for the more aggressive position
Old 08-25-10, 12:37 PM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a random double thread resurrection.
Old 08-25-10, 07:58 PM
conbon

Bikes: trek 560, specialized langster, specialized stumpjumper, felt bmx, GT pro series

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are rotating mass, or as I like to call it rotating momentum. Same theory 29'rs make better single speeds that 26'rs, the extra rotating mass keeps up your momentum. Makes running tarck gearing on the streetz easier.

They're cheap and look cool...

-Connor
Old 08-25-10, 08:29 PM
seejohnbike
Disgruntled Grad Student

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cross Pro, Cross Comp, TK2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sort of...

heavier (rotating) mass will make it easier to maintain speed, however it will make acceleration and deceleration harder.

they're also heavy, flexy, not particularly aerodynamic, and untruable.

function > form. If you happen to already have them, rock them till they can't be rocked no more. If you can pick them up for a deal scrod would be proud of, a wheel's a wheel. Otherwise, there are better options out there...

[/picking nits]
Old 08-25-10, 09:18 PM
WoundedKnee
Antarctica awaits

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought they weren't actually carbon fiber? Sorry to bust your bubble. I'm more interested in your Xtracycle at this point.
Old 08-25-10, 09:46 PM
seejohnbike
Disgruntled Grad Student

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cross Pro, Cross Comp, TK2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they're not. (at least, I don't believe so)

they're billed as a carbon composite wheel (so says their website), but nowhere does it say carbon fiber. If it was true carbon fiber, it would certainly be described as such, as it's a definite selling point. technically, I think carbon fiber is indeed a carbon composite, but not all carbon composites are carbon fiber. Kind of like a square is a rectangle, a rectangle isn't necessarily a square.

furthermore, nowhere on their website is an actual tech page describing any technology developed for use in their wheels. (although it does describe the charcoal colored wheels as "carbon fiber colored". emphasis mine.) their biggest selling point seems to be testimonials about their wheels, which is fine on its own, but not so much when testimonials become the only real selling point...
Old 08-25-10, 10:49 PM
Tomo_Ishi
Riding Engineer

Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seejohnbike
sort of...

heavier (rotating) mass will make it easier to maintain speed, however it will make acceleration and deceleration harder.

they're also heavy, flexy, not particularly aerodynamic, and untruable.

function > form. If you happen to already have them, rock them till they can't be rocked no more. If you can pick them up for a deal scrod would be proud of, a wheel's a wheel. Otherwise, there are better options out there...
Geez, I didn't know that. But it's good for me. I've nearly perfected my lacing and truing skillz. Me and my spoke key now haz an intimate relationship. Always a finger tip away and all. Heehee.
Old 08-26-10, 06:39 PM
conbon

Bikes: trek 560, specialized langster, specialized stumpjumper, felt bmx, GT pro series

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe they are carbon composite. Think of carbon fiber as a 2x4 with all the strands running the same direction, being light, stiff, and expensive. Now think of carbon composite like a sheet of plywood made from all the left over scraps mixed with glue and made into a shape, heavy, flimsy, cheap as dirt. This is the same reason that specialized trispokes (carbon composite) go for a couple hundred dollars used, while HED3's (carbon fiber) still go for probably $400 or more used, even though the wheels themselves are identical.

I think the aerospoke would have been a lot more popular wheel if it was made with true carbon fiber, definitly would have been a lot lighter and stronger, but I'd be scared to see how much they'd want for one then (probably more than a HED3).

-Connor
Old 08-26-10, 07:37 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HED3 = Specialized Tri Spoke.
Old 08-26-10, 07:43 PM
cZa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by conbon
Think of carbon fiber as a 2x4 with all the strands running the same direction, being light, stiff, and expensive. Now think of carbon composite like a sheet of plywood made from all the left over scraps mixed with glue and made into a shape, heavy, flimsy, cheap as dirt.
-Connor
I belive your thinking of partical board, The cross stranding of plywood Is what gives it it's strength in certain applications. And strength to weight plywood is up their in the lumbar family.
Old 08-26-10, 07:50 PM
conbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vixtor
HED3 = Specialized Tri Spoke.
Same design, but they are not the same wheel. Specialized originally made them out of carbon composite, then when HED bought the patent they started making them out of carbon fiber, which is why they are more expensive then trispokes.

-Connor
Old 12-26-10, 06:10 AM
happycheapskate
Banned.

Bikes: Jamis Dakar XC bike 26", GMC walmart 10speed with touring stem and Power Grips, various low-buck treking and fishing bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know but I think its FUGLY.

They want way too much for one wheel, also. Maybe its some kind of silly fashion to only have the mag front wheel.

Hi there
Can anyone tell me why messengers run aerospoke front wheels only?
Thanks
T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.