Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is the Tern Verge S8i any good? Worth getting for $2,100? Also S8i or Brompton for

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Is the Tern Verge S8i any good? Worth getting for $2,100? Also S8i or Brompton for

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-16, 11:55 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
My Brompton and my Swift probably weigh very close to 30 if not more. The Brompton has fenders, both have bags and dual SPD pedals, leather saddles, ergo grips and short bar ends. I also have a tool roll with pump, cut down 15 mm wrench, tire irons some allen wrenches etc. All this stuff adds weight, but also reliability and comfort. I guess my point is a naked bike with plastic pedals, foam grips and an overstuffed saddle may weigh less but for me, anyway, isn't a pleasant ride.
Old 10-30-16, 12:06 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Load her down 12boy...

Originally Posted by 12boy
My Brompton and my Swift probably weigh very close to 30 if not more. The Brompton has fenders, both have bags and dual SPD pedals, leather saddles, ergo grips and short bar ends. I also have a tool roll with pump, cut down 15 mm wrench, tire irons some allen wrenches etc. All this stuff adds weight, but also reliability and comfort. I guess my point is a naked bike with plastic pedals, foam grips and an overstuffed saddle may weigh less but for me, anyway, isn't a pleasant ride.
My Swift started at 26. This lady is not you or me. If she does not know how to use tools it makes no sense to have them.---Call Uber instead---.

Starting with a 31.5 pound bike and adding to it along with at least one bag of work gear? Most ladies I know would have a tough time with a 20 pound bag of gear including her purse and a 31.5 pound bike up and down subway stairs in a bimodal commute.

Loading up a folding bike with bags, racks and tools is not a problem, if you are not folding it and taking it onto mass transit every day.
Old 10-30-16, 12:08 PM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy
Any Bimodal transportation in Casper? Grin...
Old 10-31-16, 05:38 PM
TheChosenOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
I tend to agree with Joe.

For starters I would look at the best selling Dahon---the Mariner--.

Nice wide gearing---Fenders, Rack.
Very close to the same folding as the Tern.
I would Never buy a generator front hub. LED lights with just 3 AAA batteries will last most people a full winter season of riding and cost just a few dollars. The drag of the generator hub and the added complexity of wires running all over your bike for the lights---bahhh.

By definition your bike as a daily folded commuter will get beat around. Snag one of the wires on your generator lights? Ugg.

The modern folders rarely have issues with the chain coming off.

These are the priorities in your purchase from my point of view.

Fenders ---yes
Rack---yes/no--I would really try to just take enough stuff with me that fits in my Messenger bag and not use a rack if possible--simple and light as possible
Easy Fold --yes
As light as reasonable---yes
Rides well---yes

Mariner 26 pounds --S8i 31.5 pounds---that is a big jump

Buying a Mariner is a great test of your theory of biking/ dual mode commuting. It will do anything your S8i will do, is lighter, faster, and much simpler. Any bike shop can work on it cheaply. Don't be afraid of your local bike shop, they are most likely very easy going knowledgeable guys. If you have a problem with your S8i IGH there are not many bike shops that work on them.

If you don't like the Mariner after trying it you can easily sell the Mariner for $400. A $180 loss from your purchase.

If the S8i doesn't work you will be lucky to sell it for 1k---Expensive folders are hard to resell without a significant loss. Bromptons will lose less in a short term resell $1400 down to $1k.

There are a couple of Stocking Brompton shops---like nyce---that you can go try the bike you are interested in and take it home with you.

The gearing on the Mariner and the S8i is far superior to the gearing on the Brompton. My opinion.

I have an IGH Dahon and a Swift.

I hope this helps. Folding bikes can add a lot of fun to your life. Always tossing it in the trunk of your car when traveling is a huge plus.

Good luck

All of my bikes weigh less than 30 pounds, even my full suspension mountain bikes---31.5 is a very heavy folder.

Thanks a lot, this helped. I heard Dahon bikes are low quality bikes so I avoided them. If I get any bike, I'm sticking with it for years. Reason why I like S8I compared to other bikes is I want a belt drive with IGH that has support from multiple local shops. Brompton is nice and all but don't have belt drive or IGH. Folding size is important but not that important. Bike Friday's bikes are over my budget. I'm just going to test ride some bikes and go from there
Old 10-31-16, 06:01 PM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You are very welcome Chosen one..

I like to write and share my opinions---thoughts...

The Tern and the Dahon are built in the same factories. Father started and owns Dahon, son owns Tern---I guess not really sure how it works.

Enjoy your new folding bike adventure.
Old 10-31-16, 09:51 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
You are very welcome Chosen one..

I like to write and share my opinions---thoughts...

The Tern and the Dahon are built in the same factories. Father started and owns Dahon, son owns Tern---I guess not really sure how it works.

Enjoy your new folding bike adventure.
Fairly certain the two brands have few if any overlapping factories. I know the majority of Tern are made in Vietnam and pretty sure that most Dahon are made in China.

OP, strongly suggest you to go visit Bay Area Bikes in the east bay. They not only carry both Tern and Brompton, but are fans of both bikes as they serve very different purposes and appeal to different riders. The staff are great and nothing will help your decision more than seeing and riding the bikes.
Old 11-01-16, 06:13 AM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightdiver
Fairly certain the two brands have few if any overlapping factories. I know the majority of Tern are made in Vietnam and pretty sure that most Dahon are made in China.

OP, strongly suggest you to go visit Bay Area Bikes in the east bay. They not only carry both Tern and Brompton, but are fans of both bikes as they serve very different purposes and appeal to different riders. The staff are great and nothing will help your decision more than seeing and riding the bikes.
Thannks Nightdiver,
I've asked and knew the companies were related, I did not know they used different factories.
Old 11-01-16, 09:24 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
If you are near SF then go to Warm Planet Bikes in the City and check out what he has. Good shop. Also, there are Bike Fridays on CL in the Bay Area all the time (3 right now). +1 Brompton if fold is primary but you should test ride one. Bromptons don't have different sizes, just different handlebars and seatposts so it may or may not fit you comfortably. I have no issues taking my Bike Friday on Bart and it fits on the bus racks (20" wheel) on AC transit and Muni. Can't say anything about the Tern except their frame track record scares me. If you want to test ride a Brompton, check out Blue Heron bikes in Berkeley. After you test ride, if the Bike Friday feels the best to you ( it may or may not) then I suggest saving up for their belt drive. Over the life of the bike, the extra cost is nothing and they hold value well for resale. I've reached the point where getting exactly what you want makes sense, otherwise you are always wanting something else. They have deals on their pre-loved bikes right now and also usually a discount around the holidays. https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...-56-cm-302461/ or a belt drive tikit https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...ve-55cm-33037/

Last edited by linberl; 11-01-16 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-02-16, 02:50 AM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by linberl
If you are near SF then go to Warm Planet Bikes in the City and check out what he has. Good shop. Also, there are Bike Fridays on CL in the Bay Area all the time (3 right now). +1 Brompton if fold is primary but you should test ride one. Bromptons don't have different sizes, just different handlebars and seatposts so it may or may not fit you comfortably. I have no issues taking my Bike Friday on Bart and it fits on the bus racks (20" wheel) on AC transit and Muni. Can't say anything about the Tern except their frame track record scares me. If you want to test ride a Brompton, check out Blue Heron bikes in Berkeley. After you test ride, if the Bike Friday feels the best to you ( it may or may not) then I suggest saving up for their belt drive. Over the life of the bike, the extra cost is nothing and they hold value well for resale. I've reached the point where getting exactly what you want makes sense, otherwise you are always wanting something else. They have deals on their pre-loved bikes right now and also usually a discount around the holidays. https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...-56-cm-302461/ or a belt drive tikit https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...ve-55cm-33037/

What does CL mean? I am in the Bay Area and went to Warm Planet Bike's website before but they don't list all specs and price and I got turned off by that. I don't know anything about bikes and if I go to their store, I am not sure if they overcharge their bikes and I'm not sure what their BF configuration is to see if it's worth the price. Blue Heron is a good place too? Do they sell Bike Fridays?
Old 11-02-16, 02:56 AM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah that is the place I was going to go if I were to buy a bike. Do you know what they will ask from me in order to take a bike out for a test ride? Like giving them my drivers license, credit card, etc.? Or will they just let me test ride without giving them anything as collateral?
Old 11-02-16, 03:24 AM
GTizzy

Bikes: Miyata 621 Touring, Dahon Smooth Hound (Demountable)

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you looking to steal a bike???
Old 11-02-16, 05:06 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
What does CL mean? I am in the Bay Area and went to Warm Planet Bike's website before but they don't list all specs and price and I got turned off by that. I don't know anything about bikes and if I go to their store, I am not sure if they overcharge their bikes and I'm not sure what their BF configuration is to see if it's worth the price. Blue Heron is a good place too? Do they sell Bike Fridays?
CL means Craigslist.

Also you don't have to know anything about bikes to go and look at bikes that is what salespeople are for. Go and have a conversation about folding bikes and you will learn a lot from the people that sell them. Not everyone is going to try to sell you something you don't need. Just tell the shop you are researching folding bikes and go from there. Most shops are competitive and they are trying to compete against online, so prices in general are going to be good.

Also some/most Bromptons have a IGH which in internal geared hub. Their three speed and six speed are IGH, the two and single are not.

Yes, a drivers license and credit card are usually needed to test drive a bike. The store does have to protect itself.
Old 11-02-16, 07:38 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing ... when you testride... take the extra time ..
first let the salesman show you how to fold the bike ... pay attention to the handlebar and that the magnets engage...
Than ride the bike
After that .. stop 100 feet away from the store. Take your time. Fold the bike. Carry it the last 100 feet, through the door , up a step or two . etc etc

Thor
Old 11-02-16, 08:16 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I didn't realize at first that you're in the Bay Area. There's always a good selection of folders on CL here, I would recommend picking up a used Dahon for a few hundred bucks and riding that for a while. Most people who buy a folder end up buying a more expensive one later after they've learned what they like.
Old 11-02-16, 09:33 AM
linberl

CL=craigslist. Warm Planet's website is minimal. Go there to test ride but before you buy anything post here and get some feedback on the model and pricing. They are a good shop; they won't hard sell you. They will have Bike Fridays and Dahons you can try. Blue Heron only sells one model of folder, the Brompton. But they will also let you test ride and they are right on the Ohlone Greenway so you can ride without traffic.

Find a model that feels right to you and gives you the fold ability you want, then come back here for more info. If Warm Planet happens to have a Tikit in stock then try it. Because that model has been replaced by the new Pakit, they are more expensive now but there are some good deals on the Bike Friday pre-loved page (these are fully reconditioned bikes with the same warranty as new).

But I can't encourage you enough to RIDE several models and brands before you make a decision. Your comfort level on the bike will determine how much and how often you ride it. So go have some fun and test ride. Make note of what you like and what you don't like, and come back with a report. That will give the folks here on the forum much better info to advise you.
Old 11-02-16, 05:15 PM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys, I read every response and they were helpful. I have narrowed my choices to a 2017 6 speed Brompton and a Bike Friday (Tikit or Pakit, would like opinions on pros and cons of each) that's within my budget, even if it means having no belt drive. I just need to do some more research of those bikes as well as how to do my own maintenance like cleaning, lubing, etc. on the bikes before I feel comfortable and confident in buying a bike. Are these bikes rust proof except for chain? And are these bikes okay to ride in rain? And can I wash the bikes by spraying water with a hose? Also any tips on maintenance would be great. Also do Bike Friday bikes add something new every year bike most bike companies do or it's so customizable that it wouldn't matter if a BF bike was made today or 1+ years ago?

Last edited by TheChosenOne; 11-02-16 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-02-16, 05:53 PM
linberl

Thanks guys, I read every response and they were helpful. I have narrowed my choices to a 2017 6 speed Brompton and a Bike Friday (Tikit or Pakit, would like opinions on pros and cons of each) that's within my budget, even if it means having no belt drive. I just need to do some more research of those bikes as well as how to do my own maintenance like cleaning, lubing, etc. on the bikes before I feel comfortable and confident in buying a bike. Are these bikes rust proof except for chain? And are these bikes okay to ride in rain? And can I wash the bikes by spraying water with a hose? Also any tips on maintenance would be great. Also do Bike Friday bikes add something new every year bike most bike companies do or it's so customizable that it wouldn't matter if a BF bike was made today or 1+ years ago?
I've had no rust on my Bike Friday in the Bay Area, but I do keep it indoors. If you keep your chain lubed you won't get rust there, either. There are a ton of online sources for maintenance as well as books if that's your thing. Water is fine but you need to be careful not to get it in certain places. I clean my bike using Clorox disinfecting wipes (no bleach, that's important in any wipe) and rinse using my water bottle so I can control the water discharge easily. Sometimes if I'm lazy I use a drip off the hose. No hard spray. Bike Friday frames are the same as they were years ago pretty much (they fold on the other side now). A used Bike Friday can be a great deal; I bought used a 2003 and it was in great shape. The components change but if you order new you can specify what you want. If you buy used, you can take your time and upgrade bit by bit if you want (that's what I've done).
As for riding in the rain, I've had no problem with my Bike Friday. I do have Kool Stop pads on the brakes and I think they are the very best especially in wet weather. Some people prefer disc brakes, which you can get on newer Bike Friday models. Bike Fridays use regular bike parts but I believe Brompton requires a fair amount of proprietary gear.
Just my two cents - don't decide without riding. If you can't find a shop with the Bike Friday model you want, call them in Eugene and they will hook you up with someone local to let you ride theirs.

If I had the money, I'd get that pre-loved alfine belt drive tikit on the Bike Friday site (linked to it earlier).
Old 11-02-16, 07:13 PM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by linberl
I've had no rust on my Bike Friday in the Bay Area, but I do keep it indoors. If you keep your chain lubed you won't get rust there, either. There are a ton of online sources for maintenance as well as books if that's your thing. Water is fine but you need to be careful not to get it in certain places. I clean my bike using Clorox disinfecting wipes (no bleach, that's important in any wipe) and rinse using my water bottle so I can control the water discharge easily. Sometimes if I'm lazy I use a drip off the hose. No hard spray. Bike Friday frames are the same as they were years ago pretty much (they fold on the other side now). A used Bike Friday can be a great deal; I bought used a 2003 and it was in great shape. The components change but if you order new you can specify what you want. If you buy used, you can take your time and upgrade bit by bit if you want (that's what I've done).
As for riding in the rain, I've had no problem with my Bike Friday. I do have Kool Stop pads on the brakes and I think they are the very best especially in wet weather. Some people prefer disc brakes, which you can get on newer Bike Friday models. Bike Fridays use regular bike parts but I believe Brompton requires a fair amount of proprietary gear.
Just my two cents - don't decide without riding. If you can't find a shop with the Bike Friday model you want, call them in Eugene and they will hook you up with someone local to let you ride theirs.

If I had the money, I'd get that pre-loved alfine belt drive tikit on the Bike Friday site (linked to it earlier).

Where should water not make contact on a bike? If I needed to clean the bike I was going to spray water everywhere on the bike. Seems like that is easiest way to clean a bike
Old 11-02-16, 07:38 PM
linberl

Where should water not make contact on a bike? If I needed to clean the bike I was going to spray water everywhere on the bike. Seems like that is easiest way to clean a bike
How to Wash Your Bike | Bicycling
Old 11-03-16, 11:24 PM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So all bike stores will have a test ride bike and and bikes that they'll sell that are barely touched/ridden? Also lets say I buy a bike online from a different state, what happens if the bike needs to be worked on and am able to use warranty? We send it back and don't have to pay shipping? Once warranty expired we just go to a local place to get it looked at when we need to?

Last edited by TheChosenOne; 11-04-16 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-03-16, 11:42 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Yes, a drivers license and credit card are usually needed to test drive a bike. The store does have to protect itself.
Usually true. But I recently took Brompton up on their 'one day test ride' offer. After going through the features and fold/unfold procedure the salesman handed me the bike, told me where to return it on the following day, and sent me on my way without having shown any ID or collateral. The store where I returned it was similarly unconcerned and didn't even ask my name.
Old 11-04-16, 08:08 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also lets say I buy a bike online from a different state, what happens if the bike needs to be worked on and am able to use warranty? We send it back and don't have to pay shipping? Once warranty expired we just go to a local place to get it looked at when we need to?
----------------------

The Tern has mostly regular parts, minus the folding handle post for example, EVERY bike store can work on it. Warranty is really only for broken stuff, any dealer can handle that with a simple phone call to Tern. If I have a warranty than I usually pay for the shipping back and forth ... Or I send a part to install yourself ( or dealer ) ...
There are not many Tern Internet authorized dealers out there. All three of them will take care of you, that's why they are authorized dealers. Or at least thats the idea. Anyhow I never had a problem solving Tern or Dahon warranty cases
Old 11-04-16, 09:30 AM
linberl

So all bike stores will have a test ride bike and and bikes that they'll sell that are barely touched/ridden? Also lets say I buy a bike online from a different state, what happens if the bike needs to be worked on and am able to use warranty? We send it back and don't have to pay shipping? Once warranty expired we just go to a local place to get it looked at when we need to?
Thor is right about the warranty, and the same is true for Bike Friday. If you have a warranty issue (usually a frame problem) then you can either go to a local dealer and they'll get the parts (Warm Planet in S.F.) or send it in. If a warranty issue with Bike Friday is "their fault" they will return ship at no cost to you and probably cover original shipping.

For servicing, which is not the same as the warranty, you find a local mechanic you like or do it yourself. I know some shops give one year or even two years of free tuneups with their bikes, so that is something you would want to offset in cost if you buy online. Wear and tear is not warrantied; that's pretty much only for stuff that actually breaks like the frame or a rim or a part that fails before it should.

If it helps to give you an idea of costs, I recently had my Bike Friday given an overhaul (completely stripped down to bare frame then fully cleaned and reassembled and fully tuned) and I also had it painted while it was down to the bare frame. Bike Friday charged me $408 for all of it. I had a friend driving north who dropped it and picked it up so I did not have shipping fees. For what they did, that was very reasonable. I bought the bike used so I felt this was a normal expense on a 13 year old bike (looks and rides like a new one now).
A tuneup, not including any needed parts, at Warm Planet is $60. It is $80 at most other Bay Area places unless you get a winter special (Mike's Bikes goes down to $60).

You should at least learn how to do the basics, adjust brakes, shifting cables and derailleur, patch a tire, change brake pads. If you keep up on that stuff during the year, a once a year tuneup should keep your bike in great shape.
Old 11-04-16, 08:09 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
From Tern's recall notice, they had factories in China (2014) and Taiwan (2016). I think they are like Apple, global company with no factories, HQ in Taiwan, design engineer in Finland, production who knows where. They subcontract their builds. In that sense, I kinda like Brompton. They are old school, using fiddly twisty clamps, gas pipes, only one frame design and they own their factory (main fabrication works). Keep it simple and stupid. All that is true until the electric bike comes out .
Old 11-05-16, 12:26 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dahoneezz
From Tern's recall notice, they had factories in China (2014) and Taiwan (2016). I think they are like Apple, global company with no factories, HQ in Taiwan, design engineer in Finland, production who knows where. They subcontract their builds. In that sense, I kinda like Brompton. They are old school, using fiddly twisty clamps, gas pipes, only one frame design and they own their factory (main fabrication works). Keep it simple and stupid. All that is true until the electric bike comes out .
The dates you mention are only referring to the date duration that the bikes were sold at retail level. The production dates were grouped in 2011/2012. Since that time most Tern have shifted production to Vietnam. As Dahon owns their own factory in China, it's a pretty safe bet that the few Tern made in China are not sharing production with Dahon. As for subcontracting their builds, you're right there. In that sense they are like the vast majority of bike manufacturers out there.