Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Announcement

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 08:37 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by dahoneezz
So what happened to the announcement?
Uh, got announced?

127 photos on Dahon Folding Bikes Facebook. 14" (?), 16", 20" & 24" (?) models. Interesting & novel twist pedal fold. Various SS & IGH treatments. From afar: improved & simplified DiBlasi-type fold for compact storage. Looks like Dr. Hon had fun.

NuWaves.jpg

Last edited by tcs; 04-11-18 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 09:22 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Ok, thanks for the photo link. The bike folds big. So perhaps it will not be allowed in trains, buses etc., unless in storage compartment.
Old 04-11-18, 09:26 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I hope they get some orders. They should have a chance in communities that do not want scattered bikes around. In my area there are some apartment houses that offer loan bikes to their residents. Otherwise it is hard to compete against dockless shares.
Old 04-11-18, 11:58 PM
WCycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is atrocious.
Old 04-12-18, 12:39 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I think Dahon really oversold these models. Don't seem game changers at all, just a novelty frame design and some storage lockers. They mainly showed the bikes being demonstrated by small Chinese women with the exception of the mountain bike. Are these products mainly designed for the Chinese market? Crimped dropouts, small Chinese women and small overall dimensions of the bikes seems more China focused.

I don't think Dahon stand much chance in China because of their prices. Often their bikes are getting on 10x that of domestic bikes and are often no better built or equipped. If by chance the Dahon frame design is successful surely every other Chinese bike manufacturer will bring out copycat versions almost immediately which Dahon won't even get close to competing with price wise.

Not only that but you get blatant copies of Dahon bikes or even Dahon branded bikes that have nothing to do with Dahon on various Chinese retail sites. Some of them just look like generic Chinese bikes with the Dahon brand slapped on and a big price hike.

Yet they don't seem viable for western markets like Europe or the US. Maybe it will become clear what their plans are for these models.

https://s.taobao.com/search?q=%E6%8A...180410&ie=utf8
Old 04-12-18, 01:54 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
So where is the elusive 'Leslie' now?
Old 04-12-18, 06:52 AM
tcs
Palmer

The bike folds big. So perhaps it will not be allowed in trains, buses etc.
I dunno. Seems like a pretty small transit footprint to me, e.g. Strida.

transit footprint.jpg

transit.jpg
Old 04-12-18, 07:48 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Kinda weird,...I actually like weird. And standing upright, it would be possible to use for my commute.
Old 04-12-18, 04:42 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Very nice professional video here;

Still don't get why chose these over more conventional folding bikes. No gears, don't fit under desks, harder to bag up. Fun looking bikes though but the folding seat and handlebar stems look much more complicated than conventional folding bikes and likely to be less strong even if the frame itself is stronger without a hinge. Just seems to have moved the problem elsewhere rather than solve any engineering issues.

It does look like in a way they are revisiting their original Dahon design and updating it. I can see many parallels. A design they abandoned really and went on to designing conventional folding bikes but now it looks like they are revisiting it in many ways.

Old 04-12-18, 05:50 PM
dahoneezz

Originally Posted by tcs

Attachment 606912

Attachment 606913
Somehow, I imagine that trains would have some three dimensional box, like at the airport where if it can fit inside this box, you can bring it on our trains. Also unlike Strida, the wheels are in your face, or if you're standing, at chest area. And since the bike is tall, you would have to hold it all the time in the train, else it will fall over. One hand hold bike, another hand grab railing overhead (when you're standing), no hand to scratch itch.

Ok so maybe you could bring it on a train.
Old 04-12-18, 05:57 PM
dahoneezz

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
So where is the elusive 'Leslie' now?
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
... (snip)... They mainly showed the bikes being demonstrated by small Chinese women .... (snip) ...
Perhaps dahonleslie is one of the small chinese woman in the video ...

Unless dahonleslie is a man.
Old 04-12-18, 06:05 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Seeing my rather intensive use of a Dahon and my posting images thereof, 'Leslie' PMed me a couple of months ago to ask whether I was interested in being a Dahon influencer. Since then 'Leslie' has been rather scarce. I've now toured in China on a Dahon. Taiwan is China, right? (wink, wink)

Perhaps dahonleslie is one of the small chinese woman in the video ...

Unless dahonleslie is a man.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 04-12-18 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-12-18, 06:51 PM
dahoneezz

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Seeing my rather intensive use of a Dahon and my posting images thereof, 'Leslie' PMed me a couple of months ago to ask whether I was interested in being a Dahon influencer. Since then 'Leslie' has been rather scarce. I've now toured in China on a Dahon. Taiwan is China, right? (wink, wink)
Are you imputing that a tandem bike ride was done with dahonleslie when you were in "China"?

Leslie ... Leslie ...

Last edited by dahoneezz; 04-12-18 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-12-18, 08:24 PM
WCycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, we already have enough of a problem growing an inclusive folding bike community. Do we need to make it hostile to women too?
Old 04-12-18, 08:33 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by bonzo banana
no gears...
dahon nuwave 16.jpg
Old 04-12-18, 09:05 PM
GTizzy

Bikes: Miyata 621 Touring, Dahon Smooth Hound (Demountable)

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you imputing that a tandem bike ride was done with dahonleslie when you were in "China"?

Leslie ... Leslie ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-4IxVeRTCA4
Here's how I imagine Dahon Leslie reacting right now:

Last edited by GTizzy; 04-12-18 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-12-18, 09:31 PM
dahoneezz

Ow sheesh ... was I hostile to woman? I hope dahonleslie has a sense of humor. A bit of teasing thats all ... For all we know, dahonleslie could be a man ... then the joke is on me.
Old 04-12-18, 09:32 PM
dahoneezz

Originally Posted by GTizzy
Here's how I imagine Dahon Leslie reacting right now:

Ha ha ... how apt.
Old 04-13-18, 01:53 AM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by tcs
I thought that was the e-bike version.

However certainly not saying it isn't possible but what they have presented so far looks to be single speed but they can certainly get a a Shimano or SA geared hub in there I'm sure it just doesn't seem a design based around a cheaper derailleur setup. Also if the frame design has cost savings to manufacture then to blow it with additional costs on a geared hub seems counter-productive. Again though Dahon pricing to me seems non-competitive in the UK for example but in China their pricing is extremely un-competitive. Even the better quality Giant folding bikes seem to retail for much less than Dahon over there.

Some of the official models there seem like junk too. Like this one with low end suspension, unknown brand derailleur and generally super cheap components that seems to be heavily discounted in China but still retails 3x many similar bikes. The folding mechanism clamp looks horrible secured by a rotating plastic catch.

Old 04-13-18, 07:42 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Also unlike Strida, the wheels are in your face, or if you're standing, at chest area. And since the bike is tall, you would have to hold it all the time in the train, else it will fall over. (...)
Ok so maybe you could bring it on a train.
Yes, if you like to get dirty and footprints of the tires in your face and on your clothes.
Old 04-15-18, 12:53 AM
bike.gang.uk

Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
So what happened to the announcement? Maybe dahonleslie can post pics of the new bikes revealed at Beijing Bird's Nest stadium.
News report
Attached Images

Last edited by bike.gang.uk; 04-15-18 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-15-18, 07:24 PM
dahonleslie

Bikes: Dahon Mariner, Dahon Speed,Giant XTC

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys, sorry for the late response, I am super busy recently.

Good jokes!! But I am a man, work in Dahon Shenzhen, Actually the video you are watching of the Nuwave bike was made by me

Really like to listen to your real opinions about our bikes. Thanks!
Old 04-15-18, 11:24 PM
dahoneezz

Originally Posted by dahonleslie
Hi Guys, sorry for the late response, I am super busy recently.

Good jokes!! But I am a man, work in Dahon Shenzhen, .... (snip) ....
Old 04-16-18, 03:03 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ow sheesh ... was I hostile to woman? I hope dahonleslie has a sense of humor. A bit of teasing thats all ... For all we know, dahonleslie could be a man ... then the joke is on me.
I did not see any hostility in that comment but maybe it is too early in the day so my brain is a bit slow.. I would say it is more about the kind of jokes you find on this forum.

What I do find insulting is when crappy videos presenting folding bikes makes us (folding bike lovers) or our bikes look stupid: What you often find is they picked the prettyest girl they could find (make sure you pick one who has never touched a folding bike before) and give her exactely 30 seconds for you to explain what she should do, make sure the seatpost is at least 15 cm too short and then film her wobbeling along with a big smile (read stiff grin) on her face to convince us of how great this bike is and how good you would look on it. I find it insulting to the costumers, the bikes and to the model trying to do a job.

Sometimes the model is a guy. Remember a guy do not have to be pretty if he is "important" in some way, has got money or at least a nice suit. Watch the guy pull the bike out of the trunk, manage to unfold it (or this part is edited out) and then wobble down the road with the same super short seatpost. THAT is insulting. How stupid do they think we are? What sort of costumers are they looking for?

Last edited by badmother; 04-20-18 at 01:26 AM. Reason: zPeLliNg
Old 04-16-18, 12:25 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
What I do find insulting is when crappy videos presenting folding bikes makes us (folding bike lovers) or our bikes look stupid: What you often find is they picked the prettyest girl they could find (make sure you pick one who has never touched a folding bike before) and gove her exactely 30 seconds to explain what to do, make sure the seatpost is at least 15 cm too short and then film her wobbeling along with a big smile (read stiff grin) on her face to convince us of how great this bike is and how good you would look on it. I find it insulting to the costumers, the bikes and to the model trying to do a job.
I would not be this harsh. The share bikes need to be simple and rugged. Folding bikes are ubiquitous in China and practically everybody has used them at one point or another. However, for most they rarely get folded and like other bikes they are treated as a commodity with little interest from an average consumer, irrespectively of gender, in details of how they work. For the show the seatposts get adjusted to work in the show such as to have models rest against them. At these kind of events these might not even be the models, but employees, people from PR or wanna-be-model children of management.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.