Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What did you do for your Hybrid today

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

What did you do for your Hybrid today

Old 10-27-18, 02:41 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Worked on my Roam a little bit today. I installed a brand new Shimano BB-UN55 68x107 sq. taper bottom bracket and an older Deore crankset with just the 44t chainring in order for it to be a 1x**. I had hopes that using a narrower BB would help with chain alignment, but honestly it didn't do much compared to the 68x113 BB.

Also, I greased and reassembled an MTB wheelset for a friend of mine. That makes 7 wheelsets I've overhauled in about the last month.

** I am really enjoying the whole 1x thing. I've never cared for the quirks of front derailleurs. I live in Indianapolis, which is very flat and have no need for extreme gearing. Next year I'm going to convert another hybrid over to 1x, so 3 of my 5 bikes will be 1x.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 10-27-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 02:51 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
As on the coast, 1X’s make sense but I still have high hopes of taking my Volare up to the foothills and riding some of my old trail haunts.

I have taken a real liking to these fastback Schwinn models from a few years back. The compact geometry just fits me so well!
Old 10-30-18, 02:30 PM
3speedslow

Getting closer to putting the hybrid back together. Final sanding and clear coat to go. New colour a pretty good match for the dark panels on the tubes.
Old 11-01-18, 05:43 PM
3speedslow

Finished clear coating the fork.

Changed my my mind about the Tarmac Specialized bar. Decided to go all for the Specialized Hover bar for it. More wait time...

added a Jagwire Mickey cable adjuster to the top pull FD stop.
Old 11-02-18, 11:12 AM
3speedslow

Rode to the bike shop and ordered the Hover alloy expert. They asked if I wanted the carbon version and we all had a good laugh! “I will ride carbon in Heaven “ I said. At 275 bucks, out of my league...

This version has a 15mm upsweep from the clamp area, sized 42 which is comfortable to me, 75mm reach with 123mm shallow drop. Should be in next week which will give my finished paint job a little more time to cure.
Old 11-02-18, 09:41 PM
humansoul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been on the forums for a while, but life got in the way! Anyways, some updates as the winter season is just around the corner here in Toronto. I've never ventured outside on my bike during winter, but I decided to take the plunge and maybe go on some snowy days on the trails.instead of being stuck on the trainer.

Installed some Schwalbe Marathon Winters and also replaced my clipless to Crank Brother Stamp 3 to be able to catch myself in case of slippery situations.

Old 11-03-18, 07:28 AM
3speedslow

You look ready to give it a try! Ice though, will not be so readily tamed.

Enjoy the winter trail riding.
Old 11-03-18, 08:35 PM
3speedslow

Sun in the day and heat lamps for a few hours at night will hopefully cure the fork before the Volare is put back together.
Old 11-04-18, 03:12 PM
lhill 

Bikes: ‘90ish Peugeot Triathlon and Specialized Alibi Hybrid

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

I added a pair of grippy Rock Bros pedals. Love ‘em.
Old 11-06-18, 03:33 PM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by humansoul
Been on the forums for a while, but life got in the way! Anyways, some updates as the winter season is just around the corner here in Toronto. I've never ventured outside on my bike during winter, but I decided to take the plunge and maybe go on some snowy days on the trails.instead of being stuck on the trainer.

Installed some Schwalbe Marathon Winters and also replaced my clipless to Crank Brother Stamp 3 to be able to catch myself in case of slippery situations.

Beautiful bike!
Old 11-06-18, 03:49 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Gotta love the saddle bag color match
Old 11-06-18, 03:49 PM
andrei_r

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lhill

I added a pair of grippy Rock Bros pedals. Love ‘em.
Show the whole bike, please!
Old 11-07-18, 10:15 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Where did you pick up the tires? I am looking for some locally as well.
Old 11-08-18, 02:53 PM
humansoul

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by finch204
Beautiful bike!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by andrei_r
Gotta love the saddle bag color match
I'm sometimes OCD when it comes to accessorizing my bike, but I actually had the saddle bag before the bike and so be it, it worked out to match!

Originally Posted by crazyravr
Where did you pick up the tires? I am looking for some locally as well.
I bought them on Amazon Canada...I managed to pick them up for $50/tire CDN, which I thought was a good deal. Mind you, I bought them during off-season, June of this year, as I was looking for Schwalbe Marathon Supremes and found for $30/tire!
Old 11-17-18, 09:28 PM
3speedslow

Finally was able to get the Hover bars for the Schwinn fastback. Did not have much time to work on the Volare but did get the bars installed and things put in their place.

The new fork is also mounted. The paint match is pretty darn close. Tomorrow I will tighten everything down, fit test and adjust until I am satisfied then wrap the bars in red.

Better pics tomorrow.
Old 11-21-18, 02:36 PM
3speedslow

Finished taping the bars. Using second hand tape as that is what I have for now. Red should be enough colour to catch drivers attention, that and my lights.

If I was allowed to ride these days, I would be putting some serious miles on this rocket! Couple more weeks they say...
Old 12-09-18, 06:17 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Finally finished working on my buddy's urbanized KHS MTB. I let him cinch down the bottom bracket the other day as he's always giving me grief over how tight I bolt things down - farmer tight. So today I put on the cranks, installed the chain (with old fashioned pin) and put the wheels on that I had serviced several weeks back. Not only have the hubs been serviced, but it got a pretty decent cleanup too.

I did have to re-tension the rear hub as the bearings were just a skosh too loose, but that only took a couple of minutes. Also, his rubber dust seal on the rear Deore hub had a big tear in it so I did the only thing I could do. I fixed it with heath shrink. Yep, I trimmed a couple of pieces of 1" heat shrink and applied them to the outside of the rubber dust cap so it's once again fully functional.

Next I plan to finish up another friend's road bike. I'm doing a top to bottom full Monty job on that one - steerer tube bearings, bottom bracket (non-cartridge) bearings, hubs, brakes, downtube shifters, all new cables, all new housings, new brake pads, new chain, cleaned sprockets & cranks, cleaned cassette, new tubes and newer tires. It was in pretty sad shape, but it's going to ride like a brand new bike off the 1989 showroom floor when I'm finished.
Old 12-10-18, 06:39 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Next I plan to finish up another friend's road bike. I'm doing a top to bottom full Monty job on that one - steerer tube bearings, bottom bracket (non-cartridge) bearings, hubs, brakes, downtube shifters, all new cables, all new housings, new brake pads, new chain, cleaned sprockets & cranks, cleaned cassette, new tubes and newer tires. It was in pretty sad shape, but it's going to ride like a brand new bike off the 1989 showroom floor when I'm finished.
Few things in life give me as much pleasure as taking something that could be set out on the trash pile under different circumstances and restoring it to like-new condition. Getting a bike back on the road and giving it its dignity back is tremendously satisfying!
Old 12-11-18, 12:18 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Few things in life give me as much pleasure as taking something that could be set out on the trash pile under different circumstances and restoring it to like-new condition. Getting a bike back on the road and giving it its dignity back is tremendously satisfying!
There's definitely something about it that's very therapeutic, even though it can be frustrating at times. My biggest hangup is adjusting the F & R derailleurs. Fortunately, my friend's bike has friction shifters so it shouldn't be too much of a headache.
Old 12-22-18, 08:28 AM
andrei_r

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
My trusty 10-year-old Giant FCR 3 has got some changes over the past two months. As of today, I think I'm done messing with it for a while.

First, new tires. Schwalbe Smart Sam 44-622 front, 42-622 rear mounted tubelessly with Skinny Strippers. The front one runs true to the 44-622 size when measured knob-to-knob on 16mm internal width rim. The rear one runs true to the 700x40C marking when measured the same way. I didn't use my newer 19mm internal width rims because, well, first there's not enough clearance. I got a bit too optimistic here. And also the 35mm tubeless schrader valves weren't long enough for the slightly more aero profile. So I kept that wheelset for the city tires.

With the valve cap on it doesn't look like there's enough length to the valve:

But in fact it's just adequate:

Slightly fatter on the front. I had to grind of some of the welds on the bottom of the fork crown and to play a bit with the front wheel dish for it to fit. Many would call it unacceptable, there's barely 1 or 2 mm clearance in the narrowest points. Some pea-sized stones sometimes get stuck between the knobs and make noise as they make contact with the fork, but that doesn't happen often enough to drive me crazy. Hasn't sent me over the bars yet. When it happens, I'll be looking for a new fork .

Next, Shimano PD-T8000 pedals proudly displaying their first battle scars:

And my baptized calf:

Topeak Sidekick Wedge Pack - Medium. When I was ordering it, I though I was buying the STW model, which has two compartments. I got a bit disappointed when it arrived, plus it sits kinds crooked:

Old 12-22-18, 08:34 AM
andrei_r

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Finally drilled and tapped the fork legs to properly mount two additional bottle cages. Moved the bottle cages around too. The black ones didn't look right on the fork legs. The aluminum ones are more discreet.

Redshift ShockStop stem and a new 64cm carbon flat-bar:

Old 12-26-18, 04:53 PM
3speedslow

^^ That looks ready for some serious trekking!

As for my machine(Volare), I released the brakes to clean, clear the brake pads of some debri that had embedded into them. Lots of rain lately got the poor things grinding on the rims. All better now.

second item was pulling the Deore LX FD from the Bianchi so I could clean it and a matching RD. These will replace the mish mash drs I have been running on the Volare. Future change might be a switch to STI levers. Undecided as I really like the Suntour barcons.
Old 01-11-19, 03:10 PM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts

added bar ends with the tune up. So far I really like the extra hand position! Longer rides should be even more enjoyable.
Old 01-12-19, 10:44 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Install new replacement pedals on my wife's recently upgraded hybrid
Old 01-13-19, 12:33 PM
Bigbandito
Circus bear

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute 2.3

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Platforms and Bar Ends

Replaced my Wellgos with Crank Brothers Stamp 2 last weekend. Much better. Added RavX Fatty Bar ends this morning. Cazn’t wait to try ‘em out. Before:

After:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.