Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Barcelona B&B and luggage storage

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-14-19, 06:22 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

has anyone perused this place? Bed and Bike Barcelona

We are looking for a place that would bring us from the airport to their place so we could build our bikes, spend a night night and leave our bike boxes there until we return for from our bike trip, disassemble our bikes, spend at least one night and bring us back to the airport...

I am considering contacting them once our flight tickets are purchased.
Old 01-14-19, 11:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
You are motivated to do so , I assume..

never been to Catalonia , read Orwell's book?
Old 01-15-19, 01:14 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

Catalonia, first visited Barcelona when I was at school and Franco was still Spain's ruler. Read Homage to Catalonia ? Of course, first when I was at school. Shall be in Catalonia, in the hills above B where my friend has lived for many years, in May with the bicycle.

Some great cycling in Spain if you know where to find it.

John.

N.B place in the link looks grim...you have no imagination if you stayed there.
Old 01-15-19, 06:09 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Nope. Never read 1984 or other books he wrote so...this went right over my head. 🙂

Originally Posted by fietsbob

Old 01-15-19, 06:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
They certainly offer luggage storage. $10 says ground transportation is not a regular service it provides, but they may be able to steer you to someone. For example, a guy I know runs a cycling "camp" in Italy. He has a friend who is a cab driver. Large vehicle that can take 4 or 5 people and their bike boxes. He steers customers to the guy for transportation between the Venice airport and the camp.

BTW...I don't think the place looks grim at all. Looks very European hostel-ish. Reminds me of the HI Hostel in Seattle back in the late 90s, before it moved. I've stayed in worse looking motels in the U.S. while on tour.

Last edited by indyfabz; 01-15-19 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-15-19, 07:11 AM
PedalingWalrus

I concur - I also don't think the place looks grim at all and the rooftop terrace is a nice cherry on top for me. But there are people who like new england style bed and breakfasts with creaky staircases, carpets and stuffed animals as decorations ... and I hate that so we all have our own preferences. FWIW I could probably get more creative but my need is more utilitarian - I need the nerves of arriving and assembling bikes and luggage concerns to be resolved, I want to stay somewhere where it is a 'norm' and not an exception and so far this seems to fill the niche.

Indy - our itinerary is somewhat morphing to go up from Barcelona instead of down. Follow the coast of the Spanish and French riviera and then avoid Marseille to bike through Provence and then go back to the coast to Nice, Monaco and then towards Savona where we plan on boarding a ferry that would take us back to Barcelona.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
They certainly offer luggage storage. $10 says ground transportation is not a regular service it provides, but they may be able to steer you to someone. For example, a guy I know runs a cycling "camp" in Italy. He has a friend who is a cab driver. Large vehicle that can take 4 or 5 people and their bike boxes. He steers customers to the guy for transportation between the Venice airport and the camp.

BTW...I don't think the place looks grim at all. Looks very European hostel-ish. Reminds me of the HI Hostel in Seattle back in the late 90s, before it moved. I've stayed in worse looking motels in the U.S. while on tour.
Old 01-15-19, 09:22 AM
indyfabz

I hear you. I used the Seattle HI Hostel as a starting point for two long tours. All I needed was something utilitarian. There was amble space to assemble the bike and secure bike storage in the basement. Since I was going one way both times I didn't need storage space, but it was there had I needed it. Two nights the first time and one night the second. Dorm style accommodations are not my favorite (snoring drives me crazy), but it was not the end of the world. Not even close.

I'd rather have utilitarian rather than toilet paper cozies, especially if I am setting out on a multi-week trip where I am going to be camping almost every night anyway.

BTW...The place is centrally located. The Segrada Familia is about a 10 mi. walk away.
Old 01-15-19, 01:30 PM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

...The Segrada Familia is about a 10 mi. walk away.
You guys have little imagination - on your bucket list is it ?

John.
Old 01-15-19, 02:06 PM
PedalingWalrus

Please explain yourself Yoda

Originally Posted by hobbs1951

John.
Old 01-15-19, 02:57 PM
indyfabz

John.
No. I saw the Segrada Familia back in the 80s.

Now please retreat back under whatever bridge it is you crawled out from under.
Old 01-15-19, 07:51 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Looks like a hostel with a bike hire service to me. Worth a try, but I doubt they cater to actual bike tourists, more visitors to town that want an easy way to get around.
Old 01-16-19, 03:00 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

No. I saw the Segrada Familia back in the 80s.
I saw it back in the 1970s, and the comment is valid, the Sagrada Familia (note spelling) has been spoilt largely because of the huge number of tourists with their smart phones etc...they're clearly just ticking off an item on their bucket list.

Spain has the second highest number of World Heritage sites (one less than Italy), visitors should use their imagination and visit one of the less popular but no less stunning - be more discriminating..e.g the Roman Aqueduct at Tarragona (I have walked across it), or Tarragona's Roman Ampitheatre - both stunning.

John.
Old 01-16-19, 08:33 AM
indyfabz

Spain has the second highest number of World Heritage sites (one less than Italy), visitors should use their imagination and visit one of the less popular but no less stunning - be more discriminating..e.g the Roman Aqueduct at Tarragona (I have walked across it), or Tarragona's Roman Ampitheatre - both stunning.

John.
I once spent 7 weeks touring mostly back roads of Andalucía.

Come back when you have something useful to contribute to the OP's question.

Buh-bye.
Old 01-16-19, 09:05 AM
jefnvk

I saw it back in the 1970s, and the comment is valid, the Sagrada Familia (note spelling) has been spoilt largely because of the huge number of tourists with their smart phones etc...they're clearly just ticking off an item on their bucket list.
Opposed to families with dad carting around a five pound SLR around his neck and toting a two foot long VHS video camera, like I used to see at tourist spots as a child before cell phones? Were they less "just ticking off an item on their bucket list" than people with smartphones?

I do love this nostalgic view of travel some people have. Things like the Sagrada Familia have always been nothing but people ticking off a bucket list, for the overwhelming bulk of travelers. The only difference now is more people have the means and opportunity to travel, which is a great thing.
Old 01-16-19, 10:27 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Opposed to families with dad carting around a five pound SLR around his neck and toting a two foot long VHS video camera, like I used to see at tourist spots as a child before cell phones? Were they less "just ticking off an item on their bucket list" than people with smartphones?

I do love this nostalgic view of travel some people have. Things like the Sagrada Familia have always been nothing but people ticking off a bucket list, for the overwhelming bulk of travelers. The only difference now is more people have the means and opportunity to travel, which is a great thing.
Whist not unsympathetic to your view, Dad with his VHS cameras did annoy me, and there are so many fantastic places in Spain (Avila for example - Orson Welles filmed Chimes at Midnight there. I am also well qualified to talk about Catalonia/Barcelona; I organise bicycle tours in May and September for touring cyclists (small groups) interested in culture.

By the way, I'm not some people.

More people have the means and opportunity to travel - not always a good thing (some Spaniards would - and do - agree with that).

I could go on, but won't.

John.

Last edited by hobbs1951; 01-16-19 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-16-19, 10:55 AM
PedalingWalrus

I don't get the logic behind this. I'm trying to think of a good example to convey my thinking. Ok. Here goes. Let's say you are a big fan of Leonardo da Vinci and you have the opportunity to fly to Paris and go to the Louvre. Are You going to skip seeing the Mona Lisa and instead only go to see The Virgin On The Rocks because there are too many tourists with cell phones around the Mona Lisa?

Also when You went to see Sagrada Familia and got annoyed by tourists with VHS recorders ... why did you even go there? Why didn't you use your imagination and go see the Roman Aqueduct at Tarragona instead?

I get amused by people who have seen certain tourist attraction themselves and then proceed to tell others: Don't go there. It's too touristy.

John.

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 01-16-19 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-17-19, 12:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
And this.. https://eroica.cc/caffe-barcelona
Old 01-17-19, 01:49 PM
jefnvk

Whist not unsympathetic to your view, Dad with his VHS cameras did annoy me, and there are so many fantastic places in Spain (Avila for example - Orson Welles filmed Chimes at Midnight there. I am also well qualified to talk about Catalonia/Barcelona; I organise bicycle tours in May and September for touring cyclists (small groups) interested in culture.
Fair enough on the tourists. I get your point on the smaller sights, there are loads to see, but I've never been dismissive of the popular stuff as many travelers I know. Personally, I travel for culture anyhow, I like seeing the sights, but I get far more sitting in a local bar talking to someone who lives down the street, or going to a local festival. At the end of the day, I can look at pictures of any of these sights at home, and while not the same as looking at them in person, there is no way to really experience chatting to the random cafe owner and him sharing a bottle of some random local specialty from home
Old 01-18-19, 05:18 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Folk are taking my points a little too personally, the Sagrada is bucket list destination made popular in recent years for the masses, my reference to Avila (it is not a smaller sight it is a World Heritage Site as are those in Tarragona, Poblet and the Templar site (the finest in the western world) that my tours visit.

How many visitors to B visit the architecture of Gaudi and Montaner ?

John.

N.B question for jefnvk, where in Spain have you chatted with a random cafe owner ?
Old 01-18-19, 05:36 AM
PedalingWalrus

FWIW I don't even know what the Sagrada is. I have seen photos of what are tourist attractions and I have seen some video clips of Barcelona. I may seek them out if I have the time but I am there for the journey and view the city merely as a starting point...one of many along the journey

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 01-18-19 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-18-19, 06:10 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
a slight aside...looks like i'll be in the onda area (se of barcelona, slightly ne of valencia and approx 20 miles from the coast) during the 2019 vuelta. besides watching the stage,
any rides to definitely recommend in the area? scoped it out a little and prefer mountains or coast vs foothills/needless flats. seems like there's plenty of everything there. as much as i would
like to head north to the pyrenees, south to the sierra nevada or ne to the south of france, doesn't look like that'll be happening. i'll be extremely fortunate to get a puddle jumper flight to
mallorca or the canary islands for 2-3 days as that's in the "maybe" but probably not plans. the whole onda area seems like it's off the radar which is probably a good thing.
seems like there are quite a few lower mountain roads to the se-nothing above 1,300 m/4,000 ft tho so elevation is (unfortunately) not a concern-in the region. anyone rolled through there
and any specific recommendations/no-no's for rides?

Last edited by diphthong; 01-18-19 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-18-19, 08:25 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
FWIW I don't even know what the Sagrada is.
If you have time, it's worth a look see, popular with tourists or not:

Old 01-18-19, 10:00 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Quite happily send route maps to anyone interested, I'll not post them on the forum.

Onda;there are plenty of interesting rides .

J.
Old 01-19-19, 04:59 PM
PedalingWalrus

Aah I see. I know this church. It is not finished yet but they are getting close, so I've heard from my wife a few weeks ago. 🙂
If you have time, it's worth a look see, popular with tourists or not: