Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Want to tour

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Want to tour

Old 05-04-19, 07:38 AM
tinsley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Want to tour

I am 63 (woman) and I want to bike tour. Have never done that before and have never really done long rides. I plan to start doing long rides this spring, if it ever stops raining here in NH. I am going on a weekend bike trip at the end of the month, van supported. I am not all that interested at the moment with camping but would like to do trips that are either van supported or credit card trips. Question - my bike is a Giant, I suppose you could call it a fitness hybrid. It is very light weight and very comfortable. Would this bike be sufficient for multi day trips? Second question - if I do a ride that involves camping, how difficult is it to haul a trailer? I am a little intimidated by riding a loading up bike with gear. but I suppose as I get to be a more experienced rider, my comfort level will increase with that. Thanks for your advice.
Old 05-04-19, 08:21 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Although I prefer a drop bar bike for touring, my wife and a few friends successfully tour on hybrids and like the more upright position. I would use what you have if you like it as you can always change later if you find your preferences changing.
Old 05-04-19, 08:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Sure ride what is most comfortable .. staff on the support company can offer some suggestions..

a cargo bike trailer is one option Once its on the bike other than the weight bike handles the same

single wheel extra wheel trailer uses a 2nd front wheel like on your bike *, it has pannier racks on it.

I have adopted what came out of Europe , (where as I gather Hybrids are the most common style )

figure 8 bend Trekking bars an easy swap because all the levers and cables stay..

you gain hand position options side, near and far.

* same spare tube for all .. popular BoB trailer is using a 16" wheel .... 1 big bag ..

Old 05-04-19, 08:43 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
Touring means different things to different people. If you are essentially going on a series of rides, carrying only water and a few essentials I have no doubt your present bike will do fine. In any event, you have nothing to lose by trying it. After a couple of trips you may decide to upgrade or to tackle a slightly different style of touring. You will have identified your needs a lot better than those of us on the internet.

I think you are going about it correctly. My advice is to set modest goals at first and just enjoy the ride!
Old 05-04-19, 08:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Adventure cycling association (was Bikecentennial, founded in 1976) is a useful resource,
and organization to join & support ..

CGOAB is a site collecting other people's bike tour stories and pictures...

Old 05-04-19, 09:15 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
from my experience, doing supported trips are a wonderful introduction to touring, simply for all the reasons that are apparent--they take care of the route, lodgings, food, carrying your gear, tech support if you have a problem, pickup support if you cant make the assigned route--its a win win for everyone.

it gets folks out who would be hesitant or intimidated on doing it on their own, you get real world experience riding day after day which can help with making sure that your bike fits you well and your body works well on it day after day (hands, bum, feet, you name it) and you will gain confidence from the whole experience.

Ive done personally planned trips going back 30 years, but my wife was never keen on it, so for years we did week long supported trips and for all the reasons mentioned, it was perfect for her. She has improved as a rider immensely over the years, and finally last year we did a solo trip, and it went well, partly because of the years of doing those supported trips.

An important factor with signing up on a supported trip is that its a really good kick in the keester for you to get out there and prepare yourself, ride more and gradually do longer rides--and this is key, gradually increase, and more importantly, regularly ride, and this is great for getter fitter and more comfortable on your bike for longer periods.

A shout out to the Montreal based "Velo Quebec" supported trips called "Le Grand Tour", week long, very well organized, diff distances planned out per day--a really great organization. This is the one we have done 7 or 8 times, and it seems that more andmore Americans come and do it each year.

easy to look up and find the english version of their web pages.

while yes there are lots of fit roadies (fast) folks who do it, there has always been a fair number of regular folks, of all ages, on regular hybrids or whatever, and there are always folks in their 60, 70s, heck even one or two in their 80s, who do it every year.

a nice atmosphere, not competitive, and a great support system.

so, plug for that over.

the main thing of wanting to do touring on your own is to be comfortable with riding, comfortable with route following, etc etc, so if you arent there yet on your own, do more supported trips, they are a really fun way of getting out there, but nto having to worry about the logistics.

but yes, you still have to get your keester out on your bike and ride, fitness and endurance doesnt come with any magic button.
Old 05-04-19, 09:16 AM
djb

and yes, if your bike is comfortable, then it is fine for any touring, supported or not. Of course easier if you do motels, less stuff to carry, a lot easier.
Old 05-04-19, 09:16 AM
tinsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks everyone! I really do like my bike. I have to use the flat bars because I have spinal stenosis and can't ride with drop bars. I have been looking at those Jones handlebars and may change to them. I do belong to Adventure Cycling. That is who I am going on the trip with. I would eventually like to graduate to doing trips solo when I retire.
Old 05-04-19, 10:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Ergon grips ate an improvement over round grips in flat bars , I have some on my folding bike..

Old 05-04-19, 10:18 AM
djb

given that your bike has flat bars, I highly recommend "ergo" grips, that have a nicely shaped, contoured and wider palm area.
These make a real difference in hand comfort, and the ones that have the bar ends included, make a real diff to body comfort because you can change up your hand positions from the palm position, to a rotated "like a handshake" wrist position when using the bar ends.

regular and often hand position changes are crucial to hand, neck and back comfort.

Ive used the ergon company ones with cork surface and bar ends for many years, as well as cheaper ergo style ones with similar wider palm shape.

the ergo ones are more expensive, but the shape contour is better and they are extremely well made.

worth it imo

if you have regular tube shaped grips, I cannot emphasize how ergo grips make a real real difference.

here aer some examples of Ergo products. The most important thing is to get grips that have the locking feature, meaning a small allen key is used to lock them at the angle you like. Cheap grips dont have this, and invariably they move downwards. Not worth getting non locking ones, really.

here is the link to one of thier products, about 60 yankee bucks

https://www.jensonusa.com/Ergon-GP3-...BoCzT8QAvD_BwE

and ones with a longer bar end. I have these ones, got them on a bike I bought used. They are more pricey, 80 clams

https://www.jensonusa.com/Ergon-GP5-...formance-Grips
Old 05-04-19, 10:21 AM
djb

ha, fiets and I had exactly the same thoughts, at the same time!

what I can say, when I went to ergo shaped grips after regular ones, it changed my commuter bike comfort. Going to the more expensive Ergo brand ones improved it even more just because of the more researched contoured shape of them (you wont notice this in photos, all grips look the same).

this company is known for their top quality grips, and in life, its often worth spending more on a quality product.

thats my take on outdoor activity stuff. Worth it for comfort and longevity, especially for our body comfort, especially when we arent 20 anymore and dont give a second thought to stuff like that, because we are invincible and get over everything easily ;-)

ps the cork versions are better over time to not get "tacky" as rubber does over time. The Ergo rubber is probably a lot better than cheaper grips, my cheapones clearly got "tacky" after a bunch of years, more annoying without bike gloves on, so this is why the cork ones are nice, they have a nice feel to them, surface wise.
Old 05-04-19, 11:11 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Your hands and butt are most important.

I did some serious hand damage using drop bars on long trips in my 20's.

Switched to hybrid in my 30's for a more upright position and never looked back.

I have also used aero bars (just the elbow pads mostly) to further give my hands a break once in awhile.

I've meet two women in their 60's in Montana that had a sign on their bike that said "Portland to Portland Girls".
They were going from Portland Oregon to Portland Maine.
If they can do it anyone can.
Old 05-04-19, 11:29 AM
djb

re hand comfort, and therefore connecting to wrist, neck and back comfort, changing hand positions wiht slight body angle positions is THE key to long term riding comfort, combined of course with seat to bar distance, and bar height--all depending on a myriad of factors, body type, age, flexibility, fintess, you name it, exiting medical and body issues.....yada yada

for me, properly positioned dropbars are more comfortable, and I have done multi month long trips, no hand issues day after day

but thats not the case here, your hybrid fits you and you ride it well, so the grip changes with bar ends means you can change your hand position , and from personal experience from riding flat bars a lot, the simple use of bar ends to change up your hand position, and a slight back angle, therefore neck angle, etc, helps immensely.
Old 05-04-19, 01:28 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
from my experience, doing supported trips are a wonderful introduction to touring, simply for all the reasons that are apparent--they take care of the route, lodgings, food, carrying your gear, tech support if you have a problem, pickup support if you cant make the assigned route--its a win win for everyone.

it gets folks out who would be hesitant or intimidated on doing it on their own, you get real world experience riding day after day which can help with making sure that your bike fits you well and your body works well on it day after day (hands, bum, feet, you name it) and you will gain confidence from the whole experience.

Ive done personally planned trips going back 30 years, but my wife was never keen on it, so for years we did week long supported trips and for all the reasons mentioned, it was perfect for her. She has improved as a rider immensely over the years, and finally last year we did a solo trip, and it went well, partly because of the years of doing those supported trips.

An important factor with signing up on a supported trip is that its a really good kick in the keester for you to get out there and prepare yourself, ride more and gradually do longer rides--and this is key, gradually increase, and more importantly, regularly ride, and this is great for getter fitter and more comfortable on your bike for longer periods.

A shout out to the Montreal based "Velo Quebec" supported trips called "Le Grand Tour", week long, very well organized, diff distances planned out per day--a really great organization. This is the one we have done 7 or 8 times, and it seems that more andmore Americans come and do it each year.

easy to look up and find the english version of their web pages.

while yes there are lots of fit roadies (fast) folks who do it, there has always been a fair number of regular folks, of all ages, on regular hybrids or whatever, and there are always folks in their 60, 70s, heck even one or two in their 80s, who do it every year.

a nice atmosphere, not competitive, and a great support system.

so, plug for that over.

the main thing of wanting to do touring on your own is to be comfortable with riding, comfortable with route following, etc etc, so if you arent there yet on your own, do more supported trips, they are a really fun way of getting out there, but nto having to worry about the logistics.

but yes, you still have to get your keester out on your bike and ride, fitness and endurance doesnt come with any magic button.
I think this is great advice. My wife and I tour and have for years. We are on one now in Italt and France.

For many years, before retirement, we would tour with not much more than our handlebar bag for a week. So my experience says your bike is fine for that type of tour which I would do if you want to try by yourself or with a friend.

The guided tours provide a great education. After our first and only guided tour with Backroads, we new we could do it ourselves at a lower cost.

Make sure you have some basic bike & tire repair knowledge. Crazyguyonabike is a great site to learn more about touring.

Good luck
Old 05-04-19, 02:21 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Riding-wise, a multi-day, supported trip is not really any different than multi-day rids from your own house.
Old 05-04-19, 02:50 PM
djb

and learning to confidently fix a flat, and at least have a basic understanding of bike mechanic stuff will help also.
Generally though, if a bike is in great shape, its rare to have problems.
If you have no interest in doing bike stuff on your own, then having a good bike mechanic check the bike, maybe change stuff like cables, brake pads, check the wheels for spoke tensions, the basics, will mean your bike will work fine.

being comfortable with taking off a wheel and competently repairing a flat is a must though, and like I always say, it aint rocket science, and you'll feel better that you know how to do it.
Old 05-04-19, 06:24 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
If you're in NH..there's an interesting tour close by:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29695218

Some folks do the eastern leg as and out and back..very flat terrain. If you do the eastern and western route..the western has a few more hills..see the elevation plot in the link above. It may look 'challenging', but remember this is over nearly 200 miles. 3000 feet of elevation over 200 miles is pretty much nothing. RWGPS doesn't identify any climbs of any significance.

What kind of gearing does your Giant have?..if it's a fitness-hybrid..I'm guessing reasonable enough to get you started.
Old 05-05-19, 05:21 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Originally Posted by fishboat
If you're in NH..there's an interesting tour close by:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29695218

Some folks do the eastern leg as and out and back..very flat terrain. If you do the eastern and western route..the western has a few more hills..see the elevation plot in the link above. It may look 'challenging', but remember this is over nearly 200 miles. 3000 feet of elevation over 200 miles is pretty much nothing. RWGPS doesn't identify any climbs of any significance.

What kind of gearing does your Giant have?..if it's a fitness-hybrid..I'm guessing reasonable enough to get you started.
oops..I had the above link set to "private"..the link may not have worked..it's open now.
Old 05-05-19, 09:49 AM
djb

thats a nice loop, and yes 320km and 1000m climbing is nothing, very doable.

Ive ridden parts of this route on diff rides over the years, nice area to ride in and the Champlain islands road is a nice ride, as is the section to Montreal, although I havent specifically ridden those roads or maybe la route verte you did up from Burlington to here in Mtl.
When I did Mtl to Boston, I made my way down to Lake Champlain on quiet back country roads mostly, down to Rouses Point near the border in NY. Then from Rouses to the island, to Burlington and then onwards down Vt.

very pretty riding, although it does get hilly after Burlington naturally.
Old 05-05-19, 10:16 AM
fishboat

Originally Posted by djb
thats a nice loop, and yes 320km and 1000m climbing is nothing, very doable.

Ive ridden parts of this route on diff rides over the years, nice area to ride in and the Champlain islands road is a nice ride, as is the section to Montreal, although I havent specifically ridden those roads or maybe la route verte you did up from Burlington to here in Mtl.
When I did Mtl to Boston, I made my way down to Lake Champlain on quiet back country roads mostly, down to Rouses Point near the border in NY. Then from Rouses to the island, to Burlington and then onwards down Vt.

very pretty riding, although it does get hilly after Burlington naturally.
This route-link is on my "to do" list. If you have a better route, or portions of the route, I'd be interested. PM me plz..so we don't derail this thread.. thx..
Old 05-05-19, 11:28 AM
tinsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do have those grips. I put them on last summer. I really like them as they allow a couple of different hand positions.
Old 05-05-19, 11:31 AM
tinsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been looking at biking around lake champlain for a while. It is on my to do list. Gearing? 21 speeds? loL
Old 05-05-19, 11:44 AM
djb

Originally Posted by fishboat
This route-link is on my "to do" list. If you have a better route, or portions of the route, I'd be interested. PM me plz..so we don't derail this thread.. thx..
I'd have to look up stuff for specifics. Please remind me in a few days if I dont get back. I know there is a gpx file somewhere, but Id have to find it, and also look out my papers and maps from that trip.

*I just looked more closely at that route (where did you get it btw if yoiu havent done it?) and that really is a good route. I have biked from Ausable Chasm north into Quebec on a supported trip many years ago and I suspect we went along a lot of that route. The end route from there approaching Mtl is pretty much how i left Montreal, going along the st lawrence seaway spit thing etc, and the suggested route into downtown mtl is fine, Ive ridden along those areas a lot on day rides, and its really nice coming along the st lawrence and seeng the city as you approach , and btw, that route does end up being on the formula one racetrack , which is a common cycling area, in fact I was biking on it yesterday.

so all in all, thats a good route, and the areas going up the champlain islands and then up to st jean sur richelieu is a nice route also

so really, all in all, this is a nice looking route and by planning motels or whatever, and then visiting montreal, which is a neat city, it would be very nice trip.

ps, the racetrack etc is closed for the F1 race in june, so bike path access is closed, but thats easy for you to find out when and avoid it. Id still look up the track when you would want to cmoe, just in case there is a triatholon or something going on that day.

other thatn that, it looks good. No real need for me to look up details of my route, as this is perfectly fine as is.
Vermont is a great place to ride, there are lots of really nice routes there, look up the state cycling route map, its a great resource.
Old 05-05-19, 03:39 PM
fishboat

@djb..thank you for your thoughts..very helpful. The route came from searching various Burlington to Mtl routes on Ride with GPS(where you reviewed the route). If one looks at a number of routes you can sort of see the route folks tend to take..then tweak them a bit depending on personal interests(hopping on some gravel, routing past a camping area..etc..)
Old 05-05-19, 04:53 PM
djb

no problem, my pleasure

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.