Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Heel Drops While Pedaling

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Heel Drops While Pedaling

Old 05-20-19, 02:54 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by ncr
His secret weapon was his high gear pedalling technique which made him unbeatable against the clock in non climbing time trials, because compared to the natural pedalling of other riders it gave him minutes of extra pedalling time at high power output in each of these TT's. It was not suitable for low gear climbing and because of its much higher gear effect was not suitable for sprinting.
That makes zero sense from both a physiological perspective and a biomechanical one.

Cadence does not just magically give you extra power.
Old 05-20-19, 02:57 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by ncr
You don't have to change your pedalling style, you can learn an extra one for use where it would be more suitable. Swimmers have several techniques. Leaving the cost aside, why do so many road racers hate riding time trials?
That's like asking why bigger riders hate climbs. Or smaller riders hate crosswinds.

People tend to gravitate towards what they're good at. People that are good at time trialing like to time trial. Shocking.
Old 05-20-19, 03:11 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Yet another Ignore: ncr.

-Bandera
Old 05-21-19, 05:51 AM
ncr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
That makes zero sense from both a physiological perspective and a biomechanical one.

Cadence does not just magically give you extra power.
No magic involved, it does when you know how to make maximal use of the dead spot sector (11-1 o'c). The stupid objective of expensive oval shaped chainrings is to slow down crank speed where most effective tangential force is being applied to the crank (2-4 o'c) and move it faster through TDC, but the problems with this idea are the accelerations and decelerations are almost insignificant, muscles cannot cope with the repetitive sudden changes that are necessary and riders are already applying high power in this sector. The sensible objective of Anquetil's special TT pedalling technique was to more than double this sector where most effective tangential force is normally applied, by extending it back before TDC, which meant he could apply additional high power where all natural pedallers' legs were idling or applying minimal torque, giving him many minutes of extra high power application time over a 60 minute period.
Old 05-22-19, 06:25 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by ncr
No magic involved, it does when you know how to make maximal use of the dead spot sector (11-1 o'c). The stupid objective of expensive oval shaped chainrings is to slow down crank speed where most effective tangential force is being applied to the crank (2-4 o'c) and move it faster through TDC, but the problems with this idea are the accelerations and decelerations are almost insignificant, muscles cannot cope with the repetitive sudden changes that are necessary and riders are already applying high power in this sector. The sensible objective of Anquetil's special TT pedalling technique was to more than double this sector where most effective tangential force is normally applied, by extending it back before TDC, which meant he could apply additional high power where all natural pedallers' legs were idling or applying minimal torque, giving him many minutes of extra high power application time over a 60 minute period.
No magic involved, just your imagination?

You just made up everything you just said. All of that is ridiculous.
Old 05-23-19, 05:32 AM
ncr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No magic involved, just your imagination?

You just made up everything you just said. All of that is ridiculous.
You are right, it began in my imagination, the success lay in bringing it to fruition.
https://jamesclear.com/dick-fosbury
Old 05-23-19, 08:11 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
..Think constant torque on the BB produced by the torque of both cranks added together. You're trying to put as little pressure on the pedals as possible commensurate with the desired power output at the current RPM - i.e. push forward + pull back = push down + pull up, the latter term usually being zero. ...

I don't want to nit-pic but this isn't very clear. Your power depends on the pressure on the pedal at your given RPM and crank. Do you mean to minimize the peak pressure?

And obviously, ankle of foot bottom w/r to horizontal is a function of saddle height, since extended knee angle is effectively fixed by human mechanics.

This is what throws me in these discussions that emphasize where the foot is so much. My foot angle depends how I feel like pedaling at the moment. The variation more than accounts for any minute change in saddle height, unless you're talking an inch or two plus or minus. The knee angle is determined by that - how I flex my ankle - and by where I sit on the saddle. And these are all fluid enough (plus, I don't use clipless so add float to that) that small changes in saddle height, and saddle forward or back, aren't all that determinate. So, at least it's not obvious to me that those angles are determined by the saddle's position and mechanics.
Old 05-23-19, 08:53 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I don't want to nit-pic but this isn't very clear. Your power depends on the pressure on the pedal at your given RPM and crank. Do you mean to minimize the peak pressure?

This is what throws me in these discussions that emphasize where the foot is so much. My foot angle depends how I feel like pedaling at the moment. The variation more than accounts for any minute change in saddle height, unless you're talking an inch or two plus or minus. The knee angle is determined by that - how I flex my ankle - and by where I sit on the saddle. And these are all fluid enough (plus, I don't use clipless so add float to that) that small changes in saddle height, and saddle forward or back, aren't all that determinate. So, at least it's not obvious to me that those angles are determined by the saddle's position and mechanics.
If you don't use full foot retention, my pedaling discussions don't apply to you. Of course clipless pedals allow more float, so I don't know what you mean by that comment.
Old 05-23-19, 01:24 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
If you don't use full foot retention, my pedaling discussions don't apply to you. Of course clipless pedals allow more float, so I don't know what you mean by that comment.
That's even less clear - pedal float is the foot's mobility, which is greater with half-clips or heaven forbid platforms, than with clipless.

Everything else applies regardless of preferred foot retention, which was more of an afterthought there - but are you acknowledging that all of these "fitting" mechanics don't really matter if you don't use clip straps or clipless?

*what I mean by the comment is, a 5mm adjustment in seat for instance, which is considered to be a large one, will have a lot less impact on your knee angle than dropping your heel just a small amount. Float, moving your foot forward or back, has the same impact. So I didn't see it as all true that knee angles are determined by the saddle position and mechanics. Unless you meant by "mechanics" the same things I'm talking about ... but you could move my saddle and I'd probably adjust my pedaling without even noticing, and my knee angles would be the same.

But forget all that if you want, I'm more curious about the question I asked. Were you getting at "peak force" on the pedals and just phrased it as "as little pressure as possible", because that isn't clear to me.

Last edited by wphamilton; 05-23-19 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 03:33 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by ncr
You are right, it began in my imagination, the success lay in bringing it to fruition.
https://jamesclear.com/dick-fosbury
Posting completely unrelated links does nothing to validate your imaginative position.
Old 05-23-19, 11:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by wphamilton
That's even less clear - pedal float is the foot's mobility, which is greater with half-clips or heaven forbid platforms, than with clipless.

Everything else applies regardless of preferred foot retention, which was more of an afterthought there - but are you acknowledging that all of these "fitting" mechanics don't really matter if you don't use clip straps or clipless?

*what I mean by the comment is, a 5mm adjustment in seat for instance, which is considered to be a large one, will have a lot less impact on your knee angle than dropping your heel just a small amount. Float, moving your foot forward or back, has the same impact. So I didn't see it as all true that knee angles are determined by the saddle position and mechanics. Unless you meant by "mechanics" the same things I'm talking about ... but you could move my saddle and I'd probably adjust my pedaling without even noticing, and my knee angles would be the same.

But forget all that if you want, I'm more curious about the question I asked. Were you getting at "peak force" on the pedals and just phrased it as "as little pressure as possible", because that isn't clear to me.
The bolded - yes, that's what I said or meant to say. People keep their knee angle the same and adjust with foot angle, or vice versa - adjust saddle height to achieve desired foot angle.

Yes, I meant to distribute pressure so as to reduce the necessary peak pressure. You see some riders bobbing over the downstroke like Eddic, hammering that downstroke. I think one gets better endurance by spinning faster and better distributing the pedal forces. With flats, the distribution is much more limited than with foot retention. When I was a kid of course I rode flats, up until I got my first road bike at 17, with rat traps and straps. It was a revelation. I was almost positive that I could do a power wheelie on the thing, but of course never could. Going over small bumps in the asphalt, I could get the front wheel off the ground briefly. I called it "turbine powered."

Trying to answer what maybe your question is: I get max pedal force maybe at 4:30, which corresponds to 10:30 on the other side, probably the weakest point in the circle. If you pedal one-legged to exhaustion with foot retention, one starts getting a slack chain right about 10:30, probably because our weak hip flexors are almost fully contracted and out of gas at that point. So the idea is to achieve as balanced a stroke as possible by getting the opposite torques to keep adding up to a constant number. Of course that isn't really practical even if it is possible, but that's the idea. Smooth it up, they say.
Old 05-25-19, 12:41 PM
ncr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trying to answer what maybe your question is: I get max pedal force maybe at 4:30, which corresponds to 10:30 on the other side, probably the weakest point in the circle. If you pedal one-legged to exhaustion with foot retention, one starts getting a slack chain right about 10:30, probably because our weak hip flexors are almost fully contracted and out of gas at that point. So the idea is to achieve as balanced a stroke as possible by getting the opposite torques to keep adding up to a constant number. Of course that isn't really practical even if it is possible, but that's the idea. Smooth it up, they say.
Why is that max pedal force occurring so late in your downstroke, where from the torque/force aspect it is less effective. Smoothing it up is the way but only when you are applying maximal forces to your cranks.
Old 05-25-19, 01:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by ncr
Why is that max pedal force occurring so late in your downstroke, where from the torque/force aspect it is less effective. Smoothing it up is the way but only when you are applying maximal forces to your cranks.
Yup, you got that exactly right. Something is definitely up, namely neuromuscular control, the whole point of my posts on this subject. I do it that way on purpose so as to even out total force on the chain throughout the pedaling cycle. I have some serious hamstrings and decent hip flexors. Next time you go out, try to pedal without consciously pushing down on the pedals at all. An interesting drill is to get on the flat, put the bike in a low gear, and pedal very fast with only the shoe uppers, leaving air between your socks and the shoe sole. Not saying that's how one should normally pedal, but trying to pedal that way is very interesting. Obviously that cannot be done without foot retention.
Old 05-25-19, 06:10 PM
ncr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, you got that exactly right. Something is definitely up, namely neuromuscular control, the whole point of my posts on this subject. I do it that way on purpose so as to even out total force on the chain throughout the pedaling cycle. I have some serious hamstrings and decent hip flexors. Next time you go out, try to pedal without consciously pushing down on the pedals at all. An interesting drill is to get on the flat, put the bike in a low gear, and pedal very fast with only the shoe uppers, leaving air between your socks and the shoe sole. Not saying that's how one should normally pedal, but trying to pedal that way is very interesting. Obviously that cannot be done without foot retention.

"What occurs during the latent period of muscle contraction

Muscle Contraction:

Muscle contraction is dependent on electrical impulses from nerves. For example, when a person wants to contract the muscles in their leg in order to walk, the brain will send electrical impulses to the nerves of these muscles. Once these muscles receive these electrical impulses from the nerves, it will trigger a series of events that cause the muscles to contract.

Answer and Explanation:

The latent period of muscle contraction refers to the very short period of time between when the muscle receives the electrical impulse from the nerve and when the muscle actually contracts. During this time, the nerve impulse travels along the sarcolemma (membrane that covers muscle fibers) to the sarcoplasmic reticulum, which is a structure in muscles that releases calcium ions into the muscle. Once the calcium ions enter the muscle, actin and myosin filaments will bind which causes the muscle to contract."

============================================================================================

It is noticeable in the graphs of many natural pedallers that their peak torque is occurring after 3 o'c, that latent period in muscles probably explains why. For that reason it has been suggested that you should start your downstroke at 12 o'c or before. In your case you are attempting to apply a minimal force over the top when you should have already started your downstroke, pushing peak torque application further down. I spent 17 years experimenting with every possible technique, including the one you mention of neutralizing the downward force but that's too stressful on the weakest muscles as demonstrated by Powercranks. I also noticed the more you attempt to apply torque during the upstroke, the more you reduce your downstroke pedal power because you are splitting your brain's concentration.
Old 05-27-19, 10:51 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by ncr

"What occurs during the latent period of muscle contraction

Muscle Contraction:

Muscle contraction is dependent on electrical impulses from nerves. For example, when a person wants to contract the muscles in their leg in order to walk, the brain will send electrical impulses to the nerves of these muscles. Once these muscles receive these electrical impulses from the nerves, it will trigger a series of events that cause the muscles to contract.

Answer and Explanation:

The latent period of muscle contraction refers to the very short period of time between when the muscle receives the electrical impulse from the nerve and when the muscle actually contracts. During this time, the nerve impulse travels along the sarcolemma (membrane that covers muscle fibers) to the sarcoplasmic reticulum, which is a structure in muscles that releases calcium ions into the muscle. Once the calcium ions enter the muscle, actin and myosin filaments will bind which causes the muscle to contract."

============================================================================================

It is noticeable in the graphs of many natural pedallers that their peak torque is occurring after 3 o'c, that latent period in muscles probably explains why. For that reason it has been suggested that you should start your downstroke at 12 o'c or before. In your case you are attempting to apply a minimal force over the top when you should have already started your downstroke, pushing peak torque application further down. I spent 17 years experimenting with every possible technique, including the one you mention of neutralizing the downward force but that's too stressful on the weakest muscles as demonstrated by Powercranks. I also noticed the more you attempt to apply torque during the upstroke, the more you reduce your downstroke pedal power because you are splitting your brain's concentration.
Latency deosn't happen/certainly isn't an issue with any trained athlete. Otherwise players could miss the basket and hit their golf ball into the woods. Which happens, but can be trained out. Neuromuscular coordination happens all by itself with training. Pedaling efficiently is only hard on weak muscles if they're weak. Training fixes that, too. One of the reasons I slaughter all my stronger-than-I buddies on hill sprints is that I still can pull up hard enough to lift the bike off the ground. That comes from pedaling practice. Beat you - I've been working on it for 25 years. I can still remember the day I successfully executed 3 proper pedal strokes in a row.

Your brain isn't supposed to be involved at all. It's all done by programming the spinal ganglions. It's like skiing. First day of the season I can ski moguls just fine though it took me a decade to get the hang of it long ago. Practice, practice, practice. Never give up.

There was that rider who tested Powercranks for a whole season and found that they didn't do anything for him. He could ride them just fine the first day. Now why would that be? It's a BF myth that Powercranks don't work:
My first 90 Days with PowerCranks
https://texastailwind.wordpress.com/...ycling/page/3/
You're not supposed to pull up hard, just lift your foot and the weight of the crank. W/O Powercranks, you don't even have to lift the weight of the crank. One-legged pedaling is good, too. I've done that for a couple decades. Works good.
Old 05-27-19, 12:47 PM
rubiksoval

It's a BF myth that Powercranks don't work:

Wow. That's not a BF thing. That's a real-world thing.

Powercranks are a joke.
Old 05-27-19, 06:28 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Wow. That's not a BF thing. That's a real-world thing.

Powercranks are a joke.
This old dog is still learning new tricks and getting better at the old ones. Too bad they've taken the PDF of this behind a paywall but here's the abstract.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21507064

I had a lot of biceps femoris activation on the Sunday Rabbit ride. As the thousands of feet of climbing added up, it got easier and easier to stay with or chase down the leaders. Worked on that some more today, riding tandem with my wife. Legs are just slaughtered. OLP for recovery and then gym tomorrow. 13 Strava PRs Sunday.

Absolutely they matter.
Old 05-27-19, 07:21 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
There's nothing in there that indicates that the power improvements are attributable to PowerCranks.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 05-27-19, 08:11 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by seau grateau
There's nothing in there that indicates that the power improvements are attributable to PowerCranks.
I might point out that it's not up to you to question the tester's decisions and results. See below:

Better yet, those who wish to advocate against training with Powercranks please indicate how many hundred miles you trained with them before realizing that you weren't getting any results.

I haven't trained with them, not being willing to spend the money on that. Instead, I've trained those same muscles using very high cadence and one-legged pedaling, training myself to minimize pedal forces at high efforts. That's worked. It's the greater muscular endurance of that approach which those pedaling studies point out.

Of course one would not race or ride a fondo with Powercranks. There are times when one has to concentrate on hammering the downstroke for short periods. Though those times are only a tiny percentage of ride time, they are often at critical points. One has to train that ability, too.
Old 05-27-19, 08:28 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I might point out that it's not up to you to question the tester's decisions and results.
Yes it is. However, it's not up to you to imply that there's a causative relationship there when there isn't.
Old 05-27-19, 10:14 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
This was also my conclusion after reading the article at the link.
Old 05-28-19, 05:20 AM
rubiksoval

Absolutely they matter.

As an aside, I find it flabbergasting that you drink the cool-aide of a decade-old fad like powercranks but go on and on about data and results and the like, and yet you still don't use a power meter.

Probably the quintessential training tool to both qualify and quantify your training and performance. I'm hoping you get one at some point. I think it'll be very insightful.
Old 05-28-19, 10:09 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Next up.........Velotrons and crank length.
Old 05-28-19, 11:31 AM
ncr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
OH NO!! Noel Crowley (ncr) has also infiltrated this forum with his myths about Anquetil and pedalling technique . He's been challenged -- and arguably discredited -- a hundred times on this Cycling News Forum thread (and other forums) and, after more than ten years, is yet to come up with an ounce of proof that his "tricks" do anything, despite being reminded many times that all he has to do is some testing with a power metre. He calls himself "Back Door" on there, after formerly being "coapman" (I think he was banned, so he had to get back on through the 'back door').
Can you quote one example where I was discredited ? That change in username was caused by a difficulty in trying to log in after the forum was shut down for a couple of days while changes were taking place. Frank Day inventor of Powercranks was banned because of his nonsensical claim that training with his independent cranks could increase pedal power by up to 40 %.
Old 05-28-19, 07:17 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

As an aside, I find it flabbergasting that you drink the cool-aide of a decade-old fad like powercranks but go on and on about data and results and the like, and yet you still don't use a power meter.

Probably the quintessential training tool to both qualify and quantify your training and performance. I'm hoping you get one at some point. I think it'll be very insightful.
+1, especially with PMs nowadays that can determine torque effectiveness and pedalling smoothness it should be easy to determine if pulling up is more effective

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.