Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Friction shifting with 11 speed Campagnolo

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Friction shifting with 11 speed Campagnolo

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-19, 11:33 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
As many have said already, don't use vintage shifters with modern 9+ speed cassettes. Modern shifters have a larger diameter barrel so they both pull more cable (for the wider cassette) and often have longer levers that make precision shifting easier.
Old 06-01-19, 08:57 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuromori
I suspect it has to do with how clunky shifting from the cassette/chain combo is and personal tolerance for clicks is. A very slick shifting chain/cassette combo shifts quietly and shifts easily, then wants to shift out of gear easily at the shift gate, and overall doesn't give very positive feedback. Some people also don't notice the ticking every wheel revolution when the chain moves off center slightly at the shift gate and touches the next cog and don't feel it's worth trimming if they even notice. Even on index systems you see a lot of people that need a half turn of the barrel adjuster but they don't notice the ticking.

Curious what the lever throw in the biggest cog is though.
I have a musical ear/recording engineer ear/trained ear. I have physical challenges, my cadence is very unusual, and I own one bike with indexing, one without. I listen to my body, my bikes. My legs move imperfectly. I never miss a shift with friction shifting, I sometimes miss one indexed (even adjusted to the nines). I never forgot how to friction shift. Friction shift, I can get it to work at the right moment, and around how I pedal. SIS muffs the low gears unless I'm moving in sync. Maybe, I am a spastic retrogrouch. If so, then I may get a second C&V and be done with life. Your mileage and legs will vary.
Old 06-01-19, 09:16 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
More photos of your bike please sir
Old 06-01-19, 09:25 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Kent T
I have a musical ear/recording engineer ear/trained ear. I have physical challenges, my cadence is very unusual, and I own one bike with indexing, one without. I listen to my body, my bikes. My legs move imperfectly. I never miss a shift with friction shifting, I sometimes miss one indexed (even adjusted to the nines). I never forgot how to friction shift. Friction shift, I can get it to work at the right moment, and around how I pedal. SIS muffs the low gears unless I'm moving in sync. Maybe, I am a spastic retrogrouch. If so, then I may get a second C&V and be done with life. Your mileage and legs will vary.
Are you talking about friction shifting with modern index chain and cogs, or friction shifting on older equipment? Because my point is that shifting aids that help with indexing also have some drawbacks with friction.
Old 06-01-19, 09:34 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Ha! Drives me nuts. I'm not old school enough to like friction shifting. It's hard to use di2 and then use friction lol
For the front di2 can't be beat but for the rear have a friction bike and like it it's almost flawless just sucks having to reach down over having it on the bars but the shifting on friction is nice on hills give a little tug and u shift 4 or 5 cogs if u want
Old 06-02-19, 07:32 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfool
For the front di2 can't be beat but for the rear have a friction bike and like it it's almost flawless just sucks having to reach down over having it on the bars but the shifting on friction is nice on hills give a little tug and u shift 4 or 5 cogs if u want
You can do that with electronic too. And still not have to reach down.
Old 06-02-19, 12:41 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
You can do that with electronic too. And still not have to reach down.
Don't think mine does I need to hold the button down and it will shift one at a time but not 3 or 4 at a time maybe there is a way to set it but I don't know how to do it
Old 06-02-19, 06:41 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Don't think mine does I need to hold the button down and it will shift one at a time but not 3 or 4 at a time maybe there is a way to set it but I don't know how to do it
That's what I meant. I think we're picking nits at this point.
Old 06-02-19, 06:49 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
As many have said already, don't use vintage shifters with modern 9+ speed cassettes. Modern shifters have a larger diameter barrel so they both pull more cable (for the wider cassette) and often have longer levers that make precision shifting easier.
There are vintage 'big barrel' shifters.....Campy made several versions.

These are shifting a 10sp cassette....

Old 06-03-19, 05:11 AM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuromori
Are you talking about friction shifting with modern index chain and cogs, or friction shifting on older equipment? Because my point is that shifting aids that help with indexing also have some drawbacks with friction.
Older equipment, pre indexing. In this case SunTour VxGT.
Old 06-03-19, 05:15 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Ultra-shift