Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V for Dirty Kanza

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V for Dirty Kanza

Old 06-02-19, 05:53 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
a 650b conversion could work will for this ride . . . .

I know the OP doesn't like the 26 inch wheels on a vintage MTB but those obviously make good C&V gravel grinders as well.
Old 06-11-19, 08:50 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Hmm forgot I started this thread. Well, I finished my fifth Dirty Kanza 200 this weekend, and it was probably the hardest one of the bunch. You get a special recognition for joining the 1000-mile club, so that was nice, and I think I'm probably going to take a break from it indefinitely because I'm freaking tired and training for a 200 mile off-road race is very hard.

I never did get around to building up a C&V bike for it, but my 11-year-old rim brake Specialized Tricross might as well be C&V in comparison to the advances in gravel bikes in the last few years. If I was to purchase a new bike I'd want disc brakes, longer chainstays (the nimble CX geo on my bike is a little sketchy on technical descents) and clearance for at least 42mm tires.

Not that any of that is a requirement--obviously I've been able to finish the thing five times on older gear. I just think it would be nice to have.

Back to C&V though -- I've learned a bit more about bikes since this thread started. I currently have an early-90s Trek 850 rigid MTB that I have turned into a bikepacking & commuter rig. This includes 650b wheels (velo orange rim brake 650 wheels that I bought from someone on here) and it has miles of tire clearance because it's a MTB. I currently have Velo Orange Crazy Bars on it, but it would easily be a good drop bar conversion.

It wouldn't be quick though. Not that I'm quick--I'm a consistent 15-16 hour finisher. But that's what I would probably do if I was going to try to run a vintage bike on this race.
Old 06-11-19, 09:09 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
In other tangentially C&V observations:

Over the years the big criticism of Rene Herse (nee Compass) tires is that they don't have sufficient puncture protection for the type of gravel that you find in the midwest. Jan has always seemed to respond to this criticism by blaming the user for not riding carefully enough, which, if you've ever ridden on gravel in the midwest, you would realize is impossible.

Well, apparently 2x DK winner and former world tour pro Ted King has been riding Rene Herse tires so I guess Jan finally listened and developed a tire with better sidewall protection, the Hurricane Ridge, which is a more traditional knobby tire--most gravel tires are more of a file tread because knobs aren't really necessary on gravel.

King hassn't said anything about punctures or flats: https://janheine.wordpress.com/2019/...with-ted-king/ However, I saw one of the other top finishers mention on Instagram that he got sprayed in the face by Orange Seal spewing from King's tire. (Can't remember who said that now, possibly Payson McElveen or Josh Berry.)

However, King came in 8th so evidently he didn't have too many problems with punctures.

This isn't meant to be a knock on Rene Herse; I've heard enough rave reviews about them I'm sure it's legit and I would like to try some. I've just never seen them on a course as rugged and unforgiving like Kanza and have always wondered how they would perform, so this is the first time there's been widely available information about that and it's interesting to see how it's played out.
Old 06-11-19, 10:52 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
If it was dry 32. If it was wet mud yeah 40 would be better obviously.
You have that backwards. And I can't imagine anyone riding DK on anything less than 38s.
Old 06-11-19, 10:54 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by ksryder
In other tangentially C&V observations:

Over the years the big criticism of Rene Herse (nee Compass) tires is that they don't have sufficient puncture protection for the type of gravel that you find in the midwest. Jan has always seemed to respond to this criticism by blaming the user for not riding carefully enough, which, if you've ever ridden on gravel in the midwest, you would realize is impossible.

Well, apparently 2x DK winner and former world tour pro Ted King has been riding Rene Herse tires so I guess Jan finally listened and developed a tire with better sidewall protection, the Hurricane Ridge, which is a more traditional knobby tire--most gravel tires are more of a file tread because knobs aren't really necessary on gravel.

King hassn't said anything about punctures or flats: https://janheine.wordpress.com/2019/...with-ted-king/ However, I saw one of the other top finishers mention on Instagram that he got sprayed in the face by Orange Seal spewing from King's tire. (Can't remember who said that now, possibly Payson McElveen or Josh Berry.)

However, King came in 8th so evidently he didn't have too many problems with punctures.

This isn't meant to be a knock on Rene Herse; I've heard enough rave reviews about them I'm sure it's legit and I would like to try some. I've just never seen them on a course as rugged and unforgiving like Kanza and have always wondered how they would perform, so this is the first time there's been widely available information about that and it's interesting to see how it's played out.
I think between the top 5 guys they had something like 10 flats. Maybe more.
Old 06-11-19, 11:08 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I think between the top 5 guys they had something like 10 flats. Maybe more.
I read the winner finished in under (EDIT) 10 hours and had 2 flats.

Average over 20 MPH for 200 miles, on dirt, is beyond belief really.

Last edited by jackbombay; 06-11-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-11-19, 01:24 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by jackbombay
I read the winner finished in under 10 hours and had 2 flats.

Average over 20 MPH for 200 miles, on dirt, is beyond belief really.
FTFY.

Yeah and 95 miles of that was solo. Colin is unreal.
Old 06-11-19, 01:32 PM
jackbombay

FTFY.

Yeah and 95 miles of that was solo. Colin is unreal.
D'oh!

Yea, 10 hours.

If I'm feeling pretty good I can go 20+ solo on pavement for a hour, maybe 2, to do it for 95 miles, on dirt?!? He must have exceedingly abnormally large lungs and heart.
Old 06-11-19, 01:34 PM
shoota 

D'oh!

Yea, 10 hours.

If I'm feeling pretty good I can go 20+ solo on pavement for a hour, maybe 2, to do it for 95 miles (after 105 miles), on dirt?!? He must have exceedingly abnormally large lungs and heart.
FTFY lol

Yeah he's a pro dude. It's his job and he was born for it. He is an absolute diesel engine.
Old 06-11-19, 01:39 PM
jackbombay

FTFY lol
The first 105 miles was the warm up?
Old 06-12-19, 08:59 AM
shoota 

The first 105 miles was the warm up?
haha pretty much!
Old 06-12-19, 09:31 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
You have that backwards. And I can't imagine anyone riding DK on anything less than 38s.
Holy zombie response Batman! 3 years ago?

Depends on road/trail conditions. Pictures I saw years ago made 32 look reasonable. More newer ones looked a lot looser, rockier, muddier.

Looks like most are using standard cyclocross sizes now - like 38-40. Use whatever you want.