Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help with Tiagra Flightdeck 9 sp rear brifter -- doesn't shift to smaller cog easily

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Help with Tiagra Flightdeck 9 sp rear brifter -- doesn't shift to smaller cog easily

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 12:30 PM
tastewar

Bikes: 1981 Panasonic DX-2000, 1986 Cannondale SR500, 1991 Specialized Crossroads, ???? Surly Long Haul Trucker (700c)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My daughter just bought a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th...) hand Bianchi Volpe, and it has a couple of mechanical issues I'm looking to fix. The one I'm most concerned about at the moment, because I have the least experience with it, is a problem shifting the rear derailleur. Shifting to a larger cog works fine, but using the smaller, inner lever to upshift to a smaller cog doesn't work well. The outer lever comes along for the ride, and it doesn't end up shifting. On the repair stand, I can hold the outer lever stationary, and then shift the inner lever, and it works fine. But there's some reason that the outer lever is coming along and not allowing the shift to occur naturally.

Has anyone had this kind of experience with Shimano Flightdeck and know what to do?

Thank you!
Old 06-16-19, 12:53 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Not Flight Deck specific, but be really certain that your inner wire is not fraying inside the shifter (or elsewhere); if the head breaks off inside you will have the devil of a time getting it out.
Old 06-16-19, 12:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Odds are it's the cable . friction is resisting the return spring ... unhook the cable to confirm..

Of course Indexing works from an aligned frame hanger as a foundation..
Old 06-16-19, 02:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Shimano did have a known problem with an internal spring failure on some STI units many years ago. The problem resulted in the brake lever blade being dragged along the sweep of the secondary/release lever. This would make upshifting inconsistent at best. Simple finger on the brake blade, holding it in place, during the upshift solves the problem but is a pain to do. I just spent the time/effort to clean and lube a Dura Ace lever set only to discover that this lever sweep movement issue was present (and until the common "old gummy lube" problem was fixed one couldn't tell how the rest of the function was) Andy
Old 06-16-19, 04:35 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Odds are it's the cable . friction is resisting the return spring ... unhook the cable to confirm..

Of course Indexing works from an aligned frame hanger as a foundation..
Pull the cable to go up uses hand strength. To go down requires the derailleur spring.
Lube the cable, shifter and shifter with wd or similar.
Old 06-16-19, 04:54 PM
tastewar

Bikes: 1981 Panasonic DX-2000, 1986 Cannondale SR500, 1991 Specialized Crossroads, ???? Surly Long Haul Trucker (700c)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So... thanks dsbrantjr for the reminder. I had a similar problem on a totally different set of shifters in the past which *was* related to a fraying cable. So I did replace the cable on this one, to no avail. In fact, the cable looked quite new. Seems like it could well be the issue that AndrewRStewart mentioned. Is there a good guide available on servicing these, so I'd know how best to clean out any possible old gummy lube?
Old 06-16-19, 07:24 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

If the problem IS gummy old lube the solution is very well documented on this and many other online sources. Soak the shifter pods in a solvent to clean out the old lube. Spray in light weight lube then a heavier lube after working in the light weight stuff. My earlier post was to suggest the problem is NOT gummy lube. Just that gummy lube can hide other issues.

Gummy lube problems usually present as the levers moving through their sweep, as before, but don't have any ratchet function happening. Andy
Old 06-16-19, 09:03 PM
tastewar

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OK, and there is no replacement spring, correct? Best choice is sourcing a replacement unit on eBay?
Old 06-16-19, 10:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Shimano never intended their STI shifters (road or MtB) to be serviceable outside of applying lube. Spare parts were never stocked, at times complete shift pods/levers sub assemblies have been out there. But like many companies Shimano finds it too costly to produce repair parts for much of it's products much past a few years of being current.

I would go through the exercise of cleaning out and relubing the old shifter before you go further. Either you'll find out the problem was gummy lube or you'll be sure of the need to replace. Andy
Old 06-17-19, 05:20 AM
tastewar

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-17-19, 07:47 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I would go through the exercise of cleaning out and relubing the old shifter before you go further.
Me too. Cheap to try and my bet is that will fix it.