Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ventana El Conquistador De Montanas

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 06-10-19, 03:32 PM
rcommbikes 

Bikes: Dahon folder, Santana tandem, Trek triathlon, Haro MTB, Bike Friday

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Yet another amazing donation to our all-volunteer charity that gives away 2500 bikes a year to the needy in the Rochester, NY area. Check us out at

https://rcommunitybikes.org

We will sell this beauty to help pay our expenses. We're not quite sure where to advertise other than eBay, local pick up only. We also don't quite know what to ask for the bike. So, we're open to your suggestions on both matters. Specs follow except for a couple of items with a question mark. Very curious about the front hub which is unlabelled. Thank you, thank you, in advance. Fred.

Ventana Tandem

Model: El Conquistador de Montanas

SN: 97G253V

Crankset: Kooka 170mm, 48, 36, 24. QBP 11034A timing rings

Chains: Good condition. brand?

Headset: Chris King

Fork: Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2002.

Raer Shock: Fox Racing Shock.

Hubs: Front: ? unlabelled.

Rear: Chris King

Rims: Front: Mavic X517 36 spoke.

Rear: Mavic 121 SUP Ceramic 36 spoke.

Brakes: Front: Avid Juicy 7 hydraulic disc.

Rear: Shimano XT V brakes.

Tires: Front: Continental Vertical 26x2.3

Rear: Continental End Survival Protection Endless Edge Duraskin 26x?

Headset: Chris King.

Seatposts: Syncros.

Stems: Captain: Thompson Elite X4

Stoker: Control Tech

Saddles: Captain: Koobi Au Split FitTech

Stoker: Terry Butterfly

Bars: Captain: On One Mary

Stoker: Syntace Vector Carbon Low Rider 12 degrees.

FDR: XTR

RDR: XTR, RD-M950, 8 speed.

Cogs: 11,13,15,17,20,23,26,30.

Ground clearance is 12-3/4 at stoker bottom bracket.

At the BB spindles, the standover height is 32-3/4” captain, 29-1/2” stoker.

Captain seat tube 48cm.

Stoker seat tube 43cm.

One gouge and quite a few scratches under the bottom tube.

Serious mountain dual suspension

Nice condition. Some paint touch ups. This bike was well cared for and enjoyed.

One hearty gouge and scratches

This is a sealed bearing hub but no markings
Old 06-10-19, 07:30 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
They are fine tandems. Components are a bit dated but certainly a good ride. 3x8 drivetrain and 26" wheels are less than desirable to me but that is personal opinion.
Off the cuff I would say about $2,500 but that would be me replacing the 3x8 with a 2x10. Personal preference there though and mountain tandems are a niche market. I would recommend calling Alex at MTB Tandems to get an idea of price. Alex is the KING of the MTB tandem world IMHO.

When we built our mountain tandem, I looked at an ECDM frame but saved about $2K by having Doug at Curtlo build us a hard tail custom. 2x10 drivetrain on it.
Old 06-14-19, 02:20 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Call Ventana

Since you have the bike and serial number, call Ventana to determine its MSRP, and very importantly, the actual published size. Providing seat tube dimensions doesn't tell prospective buyers what size you're selling. And as far as how much to ask, you can find used tandem bike selling information on this forum, so I won't recreate the wheel here. However, that said, this is an old vintage that came OE with v-brakes. This is why the front hub doesn't match the King rear. 26" mountain bikes are quickly becoming dinosaurs, so you'll have to price lower accordingly.

A similar bike was recently listed on the SF Bay Area Craigslist for $3,250, which is a little high. I'd hope to pay about $2,500 for a used full suspension Ventana of this vintage. Yours will be less because it's older and lacks the rear disc brake.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-19, 06:00 AM
rcommbikes 

Bikes: Dahon folder, Santana tandem, Trek triathlon, Haro MTB, Bike Friday

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks.

Thanks, good info. I have emailed Ventana but they have not responded yet. Probably very busy right now. I’ll try the phone.
I’m still curious about the unmarked front hub. All black with no markings and cartridge bearings. I’m sure it’s a quality hub. Could it be from Marzocchi?
Old 06-17-19, 09:50 AM
TandemNut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcommbikes
Thanks, good info. I have emailed Ventana but they have not responded yet. Probably very busy right now. I’ll try the phone.
I’m still curious about the unmarked front hub. All black with no markings and cartridge bearings. I’m sure it’s a quality hub. Could it be from Marzocchi?
That's a pre-2001 version of the ECDM frame, and based on the fork, probably a 2000 or 2001 model. Looks to be in decent condition. Realistically, I'd say you'll be in the $2,000 - $2,500 range for that. If you create an ad somewhere, let me know and I'll share it on some of the group pages. Best of luck!
Old 06-17-19, 11:46 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Alex (TandemNut) knows the product well, but FWIW, I wouldn't pay more than $1200 for it. Reason is, there isn't one component I wouldn't want to immediately upgrade, and soon after that probably the frame too. The frame design is really old, rear shock old, no rear disc or mount for it. So why start with this ECDM at all? Well, if the buyer has absolutely no inclination to start the upgrade cycle, and can source maintenance for the old existing parts, then maybe. At this point in time (2019) it would be akin to buying a PC from 2000/2001... current ECDM design plus each and every part are that much better now then they were back in the day.

Anyone considering or even just curious, should check out Alex's build packages on https://mtbtandems.com/. Very very reasonable. You can of course buy just the frame and build up yourself.
Old 06-18-19, 04:19 AM
lichtgrau

Bikes: (Ti) Rabbit "soulmate" plus half a dozen "half bikes"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
If I would own that frame, I would actually think about welding on a pedestal for the rear disc brake.

The rear triangle is bare aluminum anyway and with a good welder it can finally look as if it was designed that way from the beginning.

I kind of like the frame in its late 90’s look. And when it comes to tandems used for off-road riding or tours with lots of luggage, I’m not sure about the 26” dinosaur-theory anyway.
Taken the same material, number of spokes etc. the 26”-version of a wheel is just more stable and rigid compared to 28” or 29”. And -we ride 26”- my short stoker likes it not to be chased by a giant wheel

Last edited by lichtgrau; 06-18-19 at 09:30 AM.