Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

fastest rolling CX tire on hardpack/pavement?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 03-09-07, 01:36 PM
yairi
é wot?

Bikes: Gary Fisher Montare, 1973 Bottechia, IRO Jamie Roy,1998 Cervelo Eyre Tri, 1982 Peugeot Sport fixed gear, and some kind of red bike hanging in the rafters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking I'd like to stick with 'cross tires on my commuter. It will see some light trail duty this summer but mainly hardpack/dirt roads, and will mostly be running on pavement. What's the consensus on which (clincher) tire will be fastest in these conditions? I'm thinking of the Vittoria Cross EVO XN perhaps? My commute is really short so I don't need especially long life.
Old 03-09-07, 02:36 PM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Tricross came standard with Borough CX Pros. They feel fast. The only thing I don't like about them is that dirt and mud tends to stick to them when wet.
Old 03-09-07, 03:13 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I find the Richy Speedmax to be pretty fast. Thy do not have a very aggressive tread on the tops but the sides have some nice knobs for cornering.
Old 03-09-07, 03:20 PM
dewaday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out Continental TravelContact. Smooth tops, with knob treads down the sides, inflate to 90psi for road riding. Not the best for loose stuff, but might be right for what you describe.
Old 03-10-07, 11:26 AM
justinb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on the Speedmax. Just don't corner hard in the rain.
Old 03-10-07, 08:16 PM
kartoffel
velosipedist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride on Avocet Fasgrips, 700x32c.

The fastest tire on hard surfaces is a high pressure slick. To roll fast on soft surfaces too, pick a wide tires and reduce the air pressure when you go offroad. Avocet slicks are surprisingly grippy offroad when aired down to 30-35 psi. For me, cornering performance on pavement is more critical than on soft surfaces. Cars are dangerous and unpredictable, yet I can ride slicks in the dirt just fine.

Semi-slicks are great for CX racing, since you get the speed of a slick with better offroad cornering performance. The tradeoff, however, is that they corner for &%#! on pavement.
Old 03-10-07, 11:21 PM
yairi
é wot?

Bikes: Gary Fisher Montare, 1973 Bottechia, IRO Jamie Roy,1998 Cervelo Eyre Tri, 1982 Peugeot Sport fixed gear, and some kind of red bike hanging in the rafters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kartoffel
Semi-slicks are great for CX racing, since you get the speed of a slick with better offroad cornering performance. The tradeoff, however, is that they corner for &%#! on pavement.
Yeah, that's why I like the idea of those Vittorias I mentioned ... actually the Cross XN Pro. Full file tread, no knobs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
xxnpro.jpg (88.5 KB, 111 views)
Old 03-11-07, 12:10 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Continental Travelcontacts.
Old 04-11-07, 08:04 AM
yairi
é wot?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I did end up going with the Vittorias ... just put them on my bike yesterday (got tired of rolling with the studded Schwalbes just for the two little ice patches on the way to work).

They are indeed very fast. Not sure if they are fast enough to merit the warning label on the box - "These tires are built for low rolling resistance and SPEED" but definitely quick ... grippy too. They are quite a ways off from a 32c though - measured at 28mm wide! I think they should still do fine for the light trail duty I envisaged for them though. We shall see soon
Old 04-11-07, 09:54 AM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kartoffel
I ride on Avocet Fasgrips, 700x32c.

The fastest tire on hard surfaces is a high pressure slick. To roll fast on soft surfaces too, pick a wide tires and reduce the air pressure when you go offroad. Avocet slicks are surprisingly grippy offroad when aired down to 30-35 psi. For me, cornering performance on pavement is more critical than on soft surfaces. Cars are dangerous and unpredictable, yet I can ride slicks in the dirt just fine.

the avocet cross tires are fast on the road and enough traction for hardpack...https://www.avocet.com/tirepages/cross_2_specs.html
Old 04-11-07, 03:59 PM
delay
I am an incurable.

Bikes: IRO Mark V pro (RIP), Bianchi Giro, Giant Xtc1, Redline Conquest Pro, Kelly Deluxe singlespeed.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maxxis Raze
Old 04-11-07, 04:20 PM
thatguy
hehe... member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I have to say, for what you're describing, you probably don't NEED a cyclocross tire. There are dozens of choices out there designed for commuters that will make your pavement riding 100 times nicer and still allow you to ride dirt roads, trails and pretty much anything short of a mud bog. Plus they're usually cheaper. I did a quick search and universal cycles has a ton of choices. For example:

700x40 $14ea
Old 04-12-07, 06:24 PM
JimmyMack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rubinos are fast on the pavement, and hard packed......untill you have to turn ;P
Old 04-21-07, 07:50 AM
arcticbiker
1coolrider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Update after riding for a while?

Yairi,

How do you like the Evo XN Pro's? What rim are you using? Clincher? I'm thinking about the same tire for similar use. Thanks!
Old 04-21-07, 10:41 AM
yairi
é wot?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely love them. Almost as fast as a road tire on pavement, still have good traction on dirt/gravel. 120tpi casing so they have a very nice ride. I do kinda wish they were a little wider, but it hasn't been an issue. I'm using the clinchers, yes, although I just bought a set of tubulars for another bike
Old 05-11-07, 09:51 AM
arcticbiker
1coolrider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yairi
Absolutely love them. Almost as fast as a road tire on pavement, still have good traction on dirt/gravel. 120tpi casing so they have a very nice ride. I do kinda wish they were a little wider, but it hasn't been an issue. I'm using the clinchers, yes, although I just bought a set of tubulars for another bike
What width rim are you using? Will the tire fit a standard road rim, say a Ksyrium?
Thanks!
Old 05-11-07, 10:48 AM
yairi
é wot?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I'm using a regular width road rim. No problem. I think it would be safe to say that any CX tire would work on road rims.
Old 05-11-07, 04:09 PM
KeatonR

Bikes: Gunnar Hyper XF, Jamis Dragon Race, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Ritchey Speedmax or Bontrager Jones CX (the latter are the tires that came on my Poprad, really fast).