Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Griffen Bikes - Anyone?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Griffen Bikes - Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-05, 04:15 PM
tourist
Closet Bike-a-holic

Bikes: '02 Cannondale R700 Road Warrior

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Griffen Bikes - Anyone?

www.griffenbike.com

I road one of these the other day. I wasn't sure I liked then, but after thinking about it some more I need to re-ride it. I was comparing it to all carbon framed bikes and there was something good about it I can't pin down. I got on it and in the first few minutes it felt like an old friend. Wierd. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with these? - Thanks

www.friscocycling.com

www.hopefellowship.net
Old 12-06-05, 02:26 PM
BATMANs

Bikes: Softride (Classic & RockeTT), Griffen Vulcan, Litech Magnesium rigid bike, Raleigh FS MTB, Lemond Zurich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand that it rides alot like steel, but weigh like CF.

Lasts as long as Titanium from what I have heard, but doesn't flex like titanium.

I have a Softride and even though is super comfy, I have been looking at the Griffen for the hills.

I'm so use to the steel Peugeot that I have grown up with that CF and Aluminum have felt alien to me.

I like to hear from others that have this bike.
Old 12-06-05, 03:50 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I rode a demo last spring, I was on the classic Kompressor frame with Dura-Ace 10. My impressions were OK until I pointed it up a long 11% grade hill. It was really fast on that hill, either sitting or standing it was stiff and sure.

Other impressions, very exotic material, it's a sintered metal, and the guy who builds them is doing pretty well on getting strong welds, but they look like crap. You are paying a premium for the material since it is not a high volume product, he is getting close to the point of being over priced. Fit is great, and the paint is really sweet on the one's I seen.
Old 12-06-05, 03:58 PM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
what about durability? Probably too early in the game, but I read about brittleness in other articles about metal matrix. Maybe we can get an engineer to pipe in on this.
Old 12-06-05, 04:44 PM
HJR

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist Team, Cervelo SuperProdigy, Colnago C50

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannot really add much regarding Griffin, I have only ridden one once a while ago but here's a thought. Not sure which model you rode, but a couple of those appear to be Cervelo-like, but the Griffens seem to cost a lot more. Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I am definitely a Cervelo fanatic, but I would recommend to check these bikes out, if you are looking at the aero-tube models.

Road:
https://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=SLT2006

TT/Tri:
https://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=P2SL2006
Old 12-07-05, 12:42 PM
BATMANs

Bikes: Softride (Classic & RockeTT), Griffen Vulcan, Litech Magnesium rigid bike, Raleigh FS MTB, Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently the salad mix of materials in the Griffen frame is not even melted, but rather fine dust squeezed together. From what I heard, the microscopic structure is like a honey comb, which absorbs shock and vibration while maintaining a rigid structure.

Pretty interesting stuff.
Old 12-07-05, 01:31 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I have a Griffen Vulcan, a TT bike. It's an ok bike. To me it seems very rigid and a fairly harsh ride. Actually reminds me of older C'dales in that regard.
This may not be an entirely fair observation on my part because my major source of comparison is a Merlin Extralight, and it's not exactly apples to apples comparing a Ti road bike to an aluminum, (albeit a fancy aluminum alloy) TT bike.
It is a fast bike, but I can't say whether its more aero or faster than other comparably priced TT bikes.
I think the Boron Carbide ceramic metal matrix frame is an idea who's time may have past. In part due to limited production, the frame costs $3500 retail. You can make a very nice CF frame for that or less (e.g. Cervelo P3, Quintaroo Lucero). I don't have the weight on my frame, but built up with D/A and Zipp 404's it weighs right at 19lbs with peddles, not really heavy for a very aero TT bike, but also not a featherweight.

The comment above about Griffen's being on the edge of over priced, I think may be an understatement. Not that Griffen is gouging, given their costs and limited production, it's just that comparable CF is now cheaper.
I bought my frame on Ebay, 2 years old, in virtually new condition for $695. I think its better than just about any TT frame you could get in that price range, but I wouldn't pay more than $1000 to $1500 for one new.

All that being said, its a pretty bike (I posted a pic in one of the TT threads) and I like the cache of having something different.
Old 12-07-05, 01:58 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BATMANs
Apparently the salad mix of materials in the Griffen frame is not even melted, but rather fine dust squeezed together. From what I heard, the microscopic structure is like a honey comb, which absorbs shock and vibration while maintaining a rigid structure.

Pretty interesting stuff.
That is what is known as a sintered metal, formed into shape under pressure.
Old 12-07-05, 04:52 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
aPic of my Griffen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
griffen.jpg (95.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 12-08-05, 11:33 AM
BATMANs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OH, that's a sexy bike.

Not my color choice.

Offtopic, what aloy wheels have the tallest sidewall for aerodynamics out there?