Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is the Tern Verge S8i any good? Worth getting for $2,100? Also S8i or Brompton for

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Is the Tern Verge S8i any good? Worth getting for $2,100? Also S8i or Brompton for

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-16, 02:19 PM
TheChosenOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

commute to work as well as riding long distances?

Verge S8i | Tern Folding Bikes | United States

I don't know anything about bikes so I just need to know are all the parts good on the S8i? And is it worth $2,100? I want a bike with very little maintenance and the S8i seems like the best for me. I looked at the Bike Friday bikes with the belt drives but they're more expensive and I am not sure when I would get my bike from them but I could get S8i right away.

I am also thinking about getting the 2017 Brompton. I know it doesn't have a belt drive but it's high quality from what I heard and does what I need, fold up so I can go on the bus and subway even when they're packed.
Old 10-22-16, 07:49 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
With the Tern you have a 7% probability that the hinge will snap in two while going fast downhill. With the Brompton that probability is 2%. However with the Brompton, you will have a 32% chance of backaches on long rides.
Old 10-22-16, 09:30 PM
foldingdroid

Bikes: Birdy Monocoque, Riteway Glacier, Gios Antico

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dahoneezz
With the Tern you have a 7% probability that the hinge will snap in two while going fast downhill. With the Brompton that probability is 2%. However with the Brompton, you will have a 32% chance of backaches on long rides.
Oh my. What about Birdy bike?
Old 10-22-16, 10:50 PM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
TheChosenOne - Where are you located?

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 10-22-16, 11:47 PM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HGR3inOK
TheChosenOne - Where are you located?

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA

Bay Area/Northern California
Old 10-23-16, 06:45 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
You buy Brompton for the fold, you buy almost anything else including Tern for the comfort. The tern you posted looks great and has everything you want. (I own a Brompton)
Old 10-23-16, 07:23 AM
dahoneezz

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by foldingdroid
Oh my. What about Birdy bike?
Your Birdy bike has 0% probability of snapping in two going fast downhill.

(Dubai has no hills. Yes? )
Old 10-23-16, 07:25 AM
FInish4Finn

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The price is so questionable to me. Like a $300 steak it better be a hell of an experience. Looking at what it offers The only thing I see that is worth compared to getting a cheeper foldy and building it up is the weight of the frame. But 31lbs is still heavy compared to my Dahon Ford Taurus I got for under $200 and I plan to swap out the heavy bits for carbon fibre, making it less than 21lbs by the time I'm done with it and half the price at most than the Tern's mark. Keep in mind you will most likely spend more as the seat will need replacing to suit your own butt specs which I hope we won't go into...
As for the frame it's steel. Stainless? I suppose that's a plus side, but might as well go aluminum if it's focus is rust prevention. I think it's why the price is so high. I also asume it's beam weld. It's a better build quality vs something like the Dahon boardwalk which is done by hand. Partly why I went with the Taurus as beam weld was used on the joint for stronger bond. Cleaner weld, stainless steel and glorified price ticket it doesn't fit my own specifics of what is worth the price. For you, upkeep is the concern and honestly maintenance will always be needed as cleaning the bike after every ride, grease, lube and calibration check will always be there. It's no less trouble owning a steel bike where rust will only form if you mistreat the bike by leaving it out in the rain and more likely be stolen if so. It's selling point is low maintenance. I feel you might want to spend more on a pedestal and glass case to keep it on depending on how you treat a bike. But, that's just me.
Old 10-23-16, 07:51 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
You might consider a Xootr Swift for 599.0. There is a huge post on Swifts and they are light, very strong and can do anything any other non-suspended folder can do except they don't fold small. They do fold quickly and can be put in a suitcase although that might take a few extra minutes. My Brompton does not make my back hurt and it is also stoutly built.
Old 10-23-16, 09:15 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
commute to work as well as riding long distances?

I am also thinking about getting the 2017 Brompton. I know it doesn't have a belt drive but it's high quality from what I heard and does what I need, fold up so I can go on the bus and subway even when they're packed.
If this is a major criteria, a Brompton will be the better choice as it's fold is superior for tight quarters, and it will be much lighter to maneuver .. that will be a big deal on a packed bus .. Bromptons are capable of long distances .. My friend Jur and his wife were just out here from Australia visiting and brought two Bromptons with them, both set up for distance riding.. His a two speed, her's a 5 .. both are fit riders .. go look at both bikes you're considering.. fold them up, lug them around, lift them into tight quarters, etc .. then ride both.. then make a decision..
Old 10-23-16, 11:18 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
+1 for the Brompton.

I've had a Dahon Speed P8 for ~ a decade, which seems quite similar to that Tern in terms of tire's, gearing, ride, and folding. The P8 has served me very well, but the Brompton has been more of a game changer for me. Beyond just the fold, it's how it wheels while folded, well integrated quick-release capacious luggage options, and shopping cart mode that have re-kindled bicycle touring for me.

But regarding the fold, now owning both, it seems the Brompton splits a few more hairs such as: folding fun vs folding chore; small/stable enough to usual take inside vs usually lock outside; and I can carry it much further/more comfortably due to the "locked" nature of its fold (shoulder carry, like 5gal. water jug).
Old 10-23-16, 11:50 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Considering what you get with the Tern Verge S8i, and how it has wonderful components, I'd say it's fantastic for what you're looking for.

Now, the small fold of the Brommie is a total winner as well. And there are many here who luv their Brompton, and use them to commute AND for long distance riding. I see them, occasionally, on the LIRR trains, and they easily fit in the small overhead racks. When switching between trains they just "carry & go",... The ease of portability is quite wonderful. And sized and outfitted to your liking, I think it'd be the better choice.

Me, I'd go with a modified 8 speed IGH though, as it would be geared for more riding situations. Or, go 11 speed IGH - and race roadies!!!

Eventually Ill get an 11 speed Brommie myself,...and I'll be cRaZy and go disk brakes too boot!!!
Old 10-23-16, 12:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Here: disc Fork for disc Brompton Disc Brakes ? Kinetics

rear section 135 disc Brompton Forks & Rear Frames ? Kinetics

made in Glasgow Scotland.
Old 10-23-16, 12:18 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Just for perspective two years ago we ( Downtube ) introduced an 8sp Shimano Nexus internal hub with Gates belt drive 20" folder for under $800, this year we introduced 11sp Shimano Alfine hub, Gates CDX belt system with crank/BB system which has external bearings ( much more efficient than square taper ) in 16" wheel and 20" wheel models for under $1200.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 10-23-16, 01:01 PM
HGR3inOK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FInish4Finn
... As for the frame it's steel. Stainless? I suppose that's a plus side, but might as well go aluminum if it's focus is rust prevention. I think it's why the price is so high. I also asume it's beam weld. ...
To which bike are you referring?

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 10-23-16, 01:04 PM
HGR3inOK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
.. go look at both bikes you're considering.. fold them up, lug them around, lift them into tight quarters, etc .. then ride both.. then make a decision..
+1

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 10-23-16, 01:29 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by FInish4Finn
The price is so questionable to me. Like a $300 steak it better be a hell of an experience. Looking at what it offers The only thing I see that is worth compared to getting a cheeper foldy and building it up is the weight of the frame. But 31lbs is still heavy compared to my Dahon Ford Taurus I got for under $200 and I plan to swap out the heavy bits for carbon fibre, making it less than 21lbs by the time I'm done with it and half the price at most than the Tern's mark. Keep in mind you will most likely spend more as the seat will need replacing to suit your own butt specs which I hope we won't go into...
As for the frame it's steel. Stainless? I suppose that's a plus side, but might as well go aluminum if it's focus is rust prevention. I think it's why the price is so high. I also asume it's beam weld. It's a better build quality vs something like the Dahon boardwalk which is done by hand. Partly why I went with the Taurus as beam weld was used on the joint for stronger bond. Cleaner weld, stainless steel and glorified price ticket it doesn't fit my own specifics of what is worth the price. For you, upkeep is the concern and honestly maintenance will always be needed as cleaning the bike after every ride, grease, lube and calibration check will always be there. It's no less trouble owning a steel bike where rust will only form if you mistreat the bike by leaving it out in the rain and more likely be stolen if so. It's selling point is low maintenance. I feel you might want to spend more on a pedestal and glass case to keep it on depending on how you treat a bike. But, that's just me.
I ordered a Dahon Ford Taurus folding bike, and the quality was severely lacking. These bikes are Dahon's lowest models, rebranded for Ford. Totally not worth it. Upgrading it is a waste of time, as the FRAME and closing mechs aren't as strong as the higher priced Dahon offerings. Even the Speed P8 is a HUGE upgrade over these bikes. Carbon fiber upgrades on this bike? Waste of effort, money, and time. This is definitely not worth a recommendation for what the OP is looking for.
Old 10-23-16, 07:28 PM
FInish4Finn

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
I ordered a Dahon Ford Taurus folding bike, and the quality was severely lacking. These bikes are Dahon's lowest models, rebranded for Ford. Totally not worth it. Upgrading it is a waste of time, as the FRAME and closing mechs aren't as strong as the higher priced Dahon offerings. Even the Speed P8 is a HUGE upgrade over these bikes. Carbon fiber upgrades on this bike? Waste of effort, money, and time. This is definitely not worth a recommendation for what the OP is looking for.
Haven't had any problems with mine. I took it touring from Quebec to Toronto round trip and use it as my daily commuter going to college for a year now. Also, I was using just that model as a ref knowing it enough. Closing mechanism is fine, even after 18 months of daily use and travel. Interesting, but to each their own I guess.
Old 10-23-16, 09:29 PM
foldingdroid

Bikes: Birdy Monocoque, Riteway Glacier, Gios Antico

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dahoneezz
Your Birdy bike has 0% probability of snapping in two going fast downhill.

(Dubai has no hills. Yes? )
No hills here in Dubai, neighboring emirates they have, Al Ain, Ras Al Khaimah, Fujairah.

How about my Dahon Mariner? It is well built and sturdy but it also folds in the frame like the brompts.
Old 10-24-16, 12:34 AM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 12boy
You might consider a Xootr Swift for 599.0. There is a huge post on Swifts and they are light, very strong and can do anything any other non-suspended folder can do except they don't fold small. They do fold quickly and can be put in a suitcase although that might take a few extra minutes. My Brompton does not make my back hurt and it is also stoutly built.

Seems decent but need something that folds in under 20 seconds

Originally Posted by BruceMetras
If this is a major criteria, a Brompton will be the better choice as it's fold is superior for tight quarters, and it will be much lighter to maneuver .. that will be a big deal on a packed bus .. Bromptons are capable of long distances .. My friend Jur and his wife were just out here from Australia visiting and brought two Bromptons with them, both set up for distance riding.. His a two speed, her's a 5 .. both are fit riders .. go look at both bikes you're considering.. fold them up, lug them around, lift them into tight quarters, etc .. then ride both.. then make a decision..

Folding is important but not that important. I don't mind something that doesn't fold as small as Brompton. Can a 6 speed Brompton go just as fast as a regular non foldable commuter bike? Also how easy/hard is it for the chain of bikes to fall off? Is it easy to put it back on if it falls out?

Originally Posted by reppans
+1 for the Brompton.

I've had a Dahon Speed P8 for ~ a decade, which seems quite similar to that Tern in terms of tire's, gearing, ride, and folding. The P8 has served me very well, but the Brompton has been more of a game changer for me. Beyond just the fold, it's how it wheels while folded, well integrated quick-release capacious luggage options, and shopping cart mode that have re-kindled bicycle touring for me.

But regarding the fold, now owning both, it seems the Brompton splits a few more hairs such as: folding fun vs folding chore; small/stable enough to usual take inside vs usually lock outside; and I can carry it much further/more comfortably due to the "locked" nature of its fold (shoulder carry, like 5gal. water jug).

After buying your Brompton, how much have you spent maintaining the bike? Or have you not needed anything done yet? Also how easy/hard is it for the chain of bikes to fall off? Is it easy to put it back on if it falls out?

Originally Posted by tds101
Considering what you get with the Tern Verge S8i, and how it has wonderful components, I'd say it's fantastic for what you're looking for.

Now, the small fold of the Brommie is a total winner as well. And there are many here who luv their Brompton, and use them to commute AND for long distance riding. I see them, occasionally, on the LIRR trains, and they easily fit in the small overhead racks. When switching between trains they just "carry & go",... The ease of portability is quite wonderful. And sized and outfitted to your liking, I think it'd be the better choice.

Me, I'd go with a modified 8 speed IGH though, as it would be geared for more riding situations. Or, go 11 speed IGH - and race roadies!!!

Eventually Ill get an 11 speed Brommie myself,...and I'll be cRaZy and go disk brakes too boot!!!

Can either of the bikes I want go just as fast as a regular non foldable commuter bike? How often would I need to take it to the shop for stuff like a tune up? This is one of the reasons why I want that Tern bike, to lower the cost in the future. Also how easy/hard is it for the chain of bikes to fall off? Is it easy to put it back on if it falls out?

Originally Posted by downtube
Just for perspective two years ago we ( Downtube ) introduced an 8sp Shimano Nexus internal hub with Gates belt drive 20" folder for under $800, this year we introduced 11sp Shimano Alfine hub, Gates CDX belt system with crank/BB system which has external bearings ( much more efficient than square taper ) in 16" wheel and 20" wheel models for under $1200.

Thanks,
Yan

I'll check those bikes out
Old 10-24-16, 09:36 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I got my Brompton in May or June... probably have ~400-500 miles on it. Only thing I've done is center the brakes to the rims once (may have been a hair off off from new). My shop offers a free 1st tune-up but I haven't used it, nor do I expect too since I like to tinker with bikes myself. Chain never fell off on the B. My Dahon used to due to derailleur/wide cassette combined with short chain stay, but I have a guide roller now that has solved that problem. Anyways, it's always easy to pop to chain back on.

Folders can go just as fast as regular bikes - it's all in the gearing. Actually the world speed record (~51 mph?) on an upright/faired bicycle is on a 17" wheeled Moulton.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-26-16, 04:00 PM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks
Old 10-30-16, 12:21 AM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any more opinions on the S8i? There's a 67% chance I'll get that than the other folding bikes. I would get a Bike Friday but seems like all the configurations I come up with is over my budget and if something needs to be done with the warranty or anything else, I gotta send it back to them instead of going to local shop for the first year or however long warranty is.

Old 10-30-16, 02:17 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
Any more opinions on the S8i? There's a 67% chance I'll get that than the other folding bikes. I would get a Bike Friday but seems like all the configurations I come up with is over my budget and if something needs to be done with the warranty or anything else, I gotta send it back to them instead of going to local shop for the first year or however long warranty is.

I think it's a nice bike, but I wouldn't want to lug it around on buses and trains. It's going to be a big package for those spaces, and quite heavy with the IGH and generator hubs. In my opinion the S8i functions as a daily commuter that can be folded at home and office to save space, and occasionally be tossed in a car. It's not what you need for the multi-modal transportation you plan to do.
Old 10-30-16, 11:37 AM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I think it's a nice bike, but I wouldn't want to lug it around on buses and trains. It's going to be a big package for those spaces, and quite heavy with the IGH and generator hubs. In my opinion the S8i functions as a daily commuter that can be folded at home and office to save space, and occasionally be tossed in a car. It's not what you need for the multi-modal transportation you plan to do.
I tend to agree with Joe.

For starters I would look at the best selling Dahon---the Mariner--.

Nice wide gearing---Fenders, Rack.
Very close to the same folding as the Tern.
I would Never buy a generator front hub. LED lights with just 3 AAA batteries will last most people a full winter season of riding and cost just a few dollars. The drag of the generator hub and the added complexity of wires running all over your bike for the lights---bahhh.

By definition your bike as a daily folded commuter will get beat around. Snag one of the wires on your generator lights? Ugg.

The modern folders rarely have issues with the chain coming off.

These are the priorities in your purchase from my point of view.

Fenders ---yes
Rack---yes/no--I would really try to just take enough stuff with me that fits in my Messenger bag and not use a rack if possible--simple and light as possible
Easy Fold --yes
As light as reasonable---yes
Rides well---yes

Mariner 26 pounds --S8i 31.5 pounds---that is a big jump

Buying a Mariner is a great test of your theory of biking/ dual mode commuting. It will do anything your S8i will do, is lighter, faster, and much simpler. Any bike shop can work on it cheaply. Don't be afraid of your local bike shop, they are most likely very easy going knowledgeable guys. If you have a problem with your S8i IGH there are not many bike shops that work on them.

If you don't like the Mariner after trying it you can easily sell the Mariner for $400. A $180 loss from your purchase.

If the S8i doesn't work you will be lucky to sell it for 1k---Expensive folders are hard to resell without a significant loss. Bromptons will lose less in a short term resell $1400 down to $1k.

There are a couple of Stocking Brompton shops---like nyce---that you can go try the bike you are interested in and take it home with you.

The gearing on the Mariner and the S8i is far superior to the gearing on the Brompton. My opinion.

I have an IGH Dahon and a Swift.

I hope this helps. Folding bikes can add a lot of fun to your life. Always tossing it in the trunk of your car when traveling is a huge plus.

Good luck

All of my bikes weigh less than 30 pounds, even my full suspension mountain bikes---31.5 is a very heavy folder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.