Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant ToughRoad

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Giant ToughRoad

Old 06-12-18, 09:07 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Giant ToughRoad

Was at the local bike shop yesterday and was told the ToughRoad will be discontinued in 2019.
Old 06-12-18, 09:19 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
That doesn't sound like a good business decision. Thought those were selling very well?
Old 06-12-18, 12:56 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I think Giant left a huge gap in their product line with the cheapest ToughRoad being $910. If someone wanted a rigid 29er/700c hybrid capable of wider rubber, they don't really have any options with Giant. You could buy a $500 Giant ARX and use 700c wheels on it (they fit). Their other mainline hybrid, the Roam, has a suspension fork. It's a great seller, but everyone doesn't want suspension. The Escape is nice, but it's very much a "road" hybrid.

I think Giant should have a ToughRoad 3 and/or 4 model. Make the 3 a ~$750 bike and make the 4 a ~$600 bike. Sure, frames would be lower grade, but they do this all the time with transition from aluminum to carbon in some lines. The 3 might have the same running gear as the SLR2 (3x9 and M315 hyd disc), but give it a more basic frame with conventional seatpost and standard Giant GX-28 wheels (like the Roam has). Maybe the 4 would be a 3x8 setup with Tektro hyd or mechanical discs.

As it is, the TR is a premium brand only, and I don't think folks saw the value in paying $910 for what is, in popular perception anyway, a rigid version of the $600 Roam 2. Is the TR SLR2 worth $310 more than a Roam 2?
Old 06-12-18, 06:14 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I think Giant left a huge gap in their product line with the cheapest ToughRoad being $910. If someone wanted a rigid 29er/700c hybrid capable of wider rubber, they don't really have any options with Giant. You could buy a $500 Giant ARX and use 700c wheels on it (they fit). Their other mainline hybrid, the Roam, has a suspension fork. It's a great seller, but everyone doesn't want suspension. The Escape is nice, but it's very much a "road" hybrid.

I think Giant should have a ToughRoad 3 and/or 4 model. Make the 3 a ~$750 bike and make the 4 a ~$600 bike. Sure, frames would be lower grade, but they do this all the time with transition from aluminum to carbon in some lines. The 3 might have the same running gear as the SLR2 (3x9 and M315 hyd disc), but give it a more basic frame with conventional seatpost and standard Giant GX-28 wheels (like the Roam has). Maybe the 4 would be a 3x8 setup with Tektro hyd or mechanical discs.

As it is, the TR is a premium brand only, and I don't think folks saw the value in paying $910 for what is, in popular perception anyway, a rigid version of the $600 Roam 2. Is the TR SLR2 worth $310 more than a Roam 2?

I don't disagree with anything you have stated there, but another factor I suspect in the Toughroad's demise is that Giant improved the Roam line recently, whereas when I first bought my Toughroad, I felt the Roam was the poor cousin to the DS and Crosstrail.
Old 06-12-18, 09:21 PM
Fbody4life

Bikes: 2017 Roam2 2018 Toughroad SLR2 2015 Diamondback AxisXE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2017 Roam 2 and a 2018 ToughRoad SLR2; road them both today and the TR definitely feel like a more premium bike. I went to the bike shop with plans to buy a Escape disc for the road since I already had the Roam but the moment I felt how light the TR was I had to have one. I have to carry my bikes up and down a flight of stairs and the difference is amazing considering how beefy the TR looks. The rough areas I ride that I have to unlock the fork on the Roam to bare it I can just plow right through on the TR without a care.

Anyways I'm happy with both bikes for what I use them for and glad I bought my TR before their gone.
Old 06-12-18, 09:31 PM
Fbody4life

Bikes: 2017 Roam2 2018 Toughroad SLR2 2015 Diamondback AxisXE

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Crazy; seems this is exactly what they are doing with the FastRoad with a cheaper SL3 model coming out.
Old 06-13-18, 05:32 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Fbody4life
I have a 2017 Roam 2 and a 2018 ToughRoad SLR2; road them both today and the TR definitely feel like a more premium bike. I went to the bike shop with plans to buy a Escape disc for the road since I already had the Roam but the moment I felt how light the TR was I had to have one. I have to carry my bikes up and down a flight of stairs and the difference is amazing considering how beefy the TR looks. The rough areas I ride that I have to unlock the fork on the Roam to bare it I can just plow right through on the TR without a care.

Anyways I'm happy with both bikes for what I use them for and glad I bought my TR before their gone.
That fork is heavy and cheap on the Roam...
Old 06-13-18, 06:05 AM
hokiefyd 

Crazy; seems this is exactly what they are doing with the FastRoad with a cheaper SL3 model coming out.
I probably would have strongly considered something like a $750 ToughRoad SLR3 or SL3 or 3 or whatever they would have called it, before I bought my Roam 2.
Old 06-13-18, 06:08 AM
hokiefyd 

The rough areas I ride that I have to unlock the fork on the Roam to bare it I can just plow right through on the TR without a care.
Your Roam will (should!) take the same size tires as on the TR. I have 50mm Schwalbe Hurricanes on my 2018 Roam. I presume the 2017 frame is the same as far as tire clearance goes. I have been running with my fork locked more, now that I have the larger tires. If I unlock the fork, it feels about like a Honda Goldwing or something -- you just can't feel the bumps. I like the choice -- but I have been running "locked" more often lately.
Old 06-13-18, 04:26 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Is that all of the Toughroad series ... in other words including the SLR GX models as well do you know??
Old 06-14-18, 06:12 AM
prj71

I'm not sure if the dropbar version will be dropped. The guy at the bikeshop just said ToughRoad.

Seems Giant is trying to find the bike that fits into the light off-road / gravel adventure category. At one time they had the Revolt, AnyRoad and ToughRoad offered at the same time. Then they dropped the Revolt in 2018. Now just left with the AnyRoad and ToughRoad.

Hopefully the guy at the bike shop is wrong and they keep the ToughRoad around.

Last edited by prj71; 06-14-18 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-15-18, 07:19 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Is the TR SLR2 worth $310 more than a Roam 2?
The biggest problem i see is the Toughroad SLR Tiagra model is separated by $50 to the much superior TCX SLR 105.
Old 06-15-18, 10:20 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I'm not sure if the dropbar version will be dropped. The guy at the bikeshop just said ToughRoad.

Seems Giant is trying to find the bike that fits into the light off-road / gravel adventure category. At one time they had the Revolt, AnyRoad and ToughRoad offered at the same time. Then they dropped the Revolt in 2018. Now just left with the AnyRoad and ToughRoad.

Hopefully the guy at the bike shop is wrong and they keep the ToughRoad around.
It's continuing in at least one dropbar model in the U.S.: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...ad-slr-gx-2019

Don't know about demand for the original Toughroad in the U.S., but according to my lbs it's been pretty weak up here.
Old 06-15-18, 02:33 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Sad to see it go. i have the 2016 SLR1 and bought it as NOS (it was the LBs owners private bike with few miles). At original MSRP i would probably not bought it.
For the price they asked the SLR 2 should have been a 1x11 or at least a 2x10. Definitely not a 3x anything for $900. and that was before I was informed enough and felt comfortable enough to buy bikes online.

The LBS still has 2017 TR ($780 asking for an S-size of SLR 2 - but that may be just hard to sell S-sizes)

It is the almost only hybrid with rigid fork that fits large tires.

For the money they also should have had Through-axles and other goodies. The proprietary D-shaped seatpost is more a disadvantage since any seatpost replacement will be costly.

i love mine, and don't' mind paying money for good stuff. but i see how it was unpopular due to weird marketing decisions. The color schemes also didn't help. Just keep the black/gray and don't do neon green, blue etc.

The GX (dropbar) still has a 2019 model, but seems to have low-grade components. $1,050 for a 2x8 drivetrain bike is a non-starter these days. The higher 2018 levels had SRAM brakes, which is a deal stopper for me.
Old 06-15-18, 04:42 PM
Witterings

I wonder if it falls into the "mid range" category where the spec isn't quite good enough / value for money for the real enthusiast in comparison to some of the other offerings with 105's / through axles and yet the every other week 10 miler / occasional weekend cyclist it's too expensive in comparison to say a $400/500 hybrid where if you're not a hard rider you won't see that much benefit.

Personally I see the gravel bike arena as the market with the biggest potential for sales I would have thought but they and all the other manufacturers are ramming the price up in comparison to say a hybrid / MTB and also against reasonable quality road bikes and whilst every serious cyclist (tongue in cheek) or everyday commuter cyclist might appreciate the benefits against cost the weekend cyclist won't so it doesn't really satisfy one end or the other of the market.

This could explain why they're continuing with the one they are as they've found most of the sales are at the lower end and an entry point for someone to try an alternative to a hybrid .... unless they just haven't released the rest of the range for next year yet and there's a host of goodies to come

In which case I might delay my purchasing of one for a while as I'm happy with last years model (think they messed up with delivery in the UK this year as they're only just about to arrive so have missed a good month / two of the season before they're in the shops) and with the new ones being announced and I'm not the most popular medium size may see if I can pick up a bargain in a couple of months
Old 06-18-18, 12:06 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
The proprietary D-shaped seatpost is more a disadvantage since any seatpost replacement will be costly.
On this type of bike, I'm not sure why you would have to replace the seatpost. I have the Dfuse seatpost on my Giant Fastroad and I love it. The seat is perfectly aligned all the time.

i love mine, and don't' mind paying money for good stuff. but i see how it was unpopular due to weird marketing decisions. The color schemes also didn't help. Just keep the black/gray and don't do neon green, blue etc.
Agreee on the color schemes. Some of them are a little too feminine for my tastes.
Old 06-20-18, 01:47 PM
cycling705

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ageee on the color schemes. Some of them are a little too feminine for my tastes.
Giant does have some head-scratching color schemes and designs. If I was in the market for a new bike, although not all, some of their color schemes would actually turn me away.
Old 06-20-18, 04:03 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by cycling705
Giant does have some head-scratching color schemes and designs. If I was in the market for a new bike, although not all, some of their color schemes would actually turn me away.
It's funny what appeals to different people and you quoted someone saying their colours are a bit feminine ... I don't find them feminine (but I've only been looking at the SLR GX range) but I do find them a bit bland when there are so many more vibrant and eye catching schemes out there .. that said I'd probably end up reluctantly buying the one with the more boring colour scheme if it had the best spec I was after for the money.
Old 06-20-18, 09:05 PM
HerrKaLeun

On this type of bike, I'm not sure why you would have to replace the seatpost. I have the Dfuse seatpost on my Giant Fastroad and I love it. The seat is perfectly aligned all the time.
+1 on the alignment, that is nice.
But I have the carbon seatpost and couldn't just easily buy an aluminum post for the tow bike. If D-shaped was industry standard, it would be nice, but proprietary sucks.
Old 06-21-18, 06:56 AM
cycling705

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
It's funny what appeals to different people and you quoted someone saying their colours are a bit feminine ... I don't find them feminine (but I've only been looking at the SLR GX range) but I do find them a bit bland when there are so many more vibrant and eye catching schemes out there .. that said I'd probably end up reluctantly buying the one with the more boring colour scheme if it had the best spec I was after for the money.
You are right - what is bland to me could be inspiring to someone else. I guess it's all in personal preference, as with anything.

One example that I was referring to relates to the ToughRoad SLR2. The 2017 model was one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen. It was downright sharp. However, the 2018 model of the SLR1 was (at least to me) too "busy" and hard on the eyes.

Again though, I'm sure other people see these two color schemes in an opposite manner. Giant surely has done plenty of market research to see what people are interested in.

Last edited by cycling705; 06-21-18 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-21-18, 04:31 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by cycling705

Again though, I'm sure other people see these two color schemes in an opposite manner. Giant surely has done plenty of market research to see what people are interested in.
The fact that sales were so low they discontinue the TR proves their market research had... room for improvement...
Old 06-22-18, 06:24 AM
cycling705

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
The fact that sales were so low they discontinued the TR proves their market research had... room for improvement...
Very true.
Old 06-23-18, 07:10 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Witterings
This looks feminine to me. I would buy the SLR 1 if it wasn't for the girly color scheme. They've girlied up their mens mountain bikes as well. Save the girly colors for their Liv brand of bikes.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/toughroad-slr-1-2017

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/toughroad-slr-1
Old 07-10-18, 07:37 AM
hokiefyd 

It looks like the 2019 ToughRoad is on the Giant website. They have an SLR 1 ($1,300), an SLR 2 ($950), and an SLR GX 3 ($1,050 - drop bar version). Maybe that one bike shop had bad info. Or maybe it'll be discontinued after the 2019 model year?
Old 07-10-18, 12:13 PM
prj71

Thanks for the update.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.