Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Polarized Training in Hilly Area: Is it Possible?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 02:09 PM
Chris O

Bikes: Wilier Triestina GTR SL '16; Basso Gap '93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

I've been trying to modify my riding to a more polarized training schedule, with my easy days easier and my hard days harder. The challenge is I live in hilly area. Combine that with the fact I'm a big guy (100 kg) and it is nearly impossible to ride and not put in at least a few significant efforts on all the hills. A truly easy recovery ride is not much of an option around my house.

This also makes it challenging to do structured intervals with no long flat stretches. I do get plenty of random "intervals" by climbing all those short to medium hills, but it lacks structure.

If anyone has dealt with a similar scenario and come up with good strategies, I'd be interested to read them

Chris
Old 03-22-19, 03:59 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
50/34 11-36 is the gearing I use for hilly seattle commutes to keep my rides easy. Then you just have to learn to keep the power down. Usually that means 4mph at ~60rpm on 8-10% grades. Helps if you have a powermeter to watch your efforts along with HR
Old 03-22-19, 07:03 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Polarized training only means that 80% of your training sessions are easy and 20% are hard. It has nothing to do with the actual percentage of time spent at any particular intensity, though of course an easy day should be properly easy. But going up a hill isn't going to affect that concept.

With all that said, it's not really a training plan that anyone actually uses (in reality, there's a whole helluva lot of adaptations in the sub-threshold region of training), and it's certainly not one you should use if you're already questioning its practicality. I'd just ignore the entire concept and focus on getting more riding in. On a couple of days, hit the hills really hard. Other days, just get up them spinning as easily as possible. Fitness will come with consistent riding.

As far as structure, nearly all of my longer intervals are on hills (anything from 30 secs to 6 mins). Other sweetspot/threshold stuff I do through rolling hills. You just learn to push the downhills as hard as the uphills (as long as safety allows). It takes some getting used to, but it's definitely doable.
Old 03-22-19, 10:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
It's an interesting concept, but requires a lot of discipline. I tried it, but it just wasn't fun enough. I like to go fast. I like kinetic sports.

Be that as it may, it's really quite easy. Well, easy depending on the size of your hills. Around here, it's very easy to put together 50'/mile routes. On a route like that, yup, about 20% of my time is climbing if I go hard on the climbs. YMMV. The challenge is holding the effort down on the little bumps and flats.
Old 03-22-19, 10:35 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Sure, no problem. When it get so steep you can't easily spin up, get off and walk. Be sure you walk slowly enough to keep the intensity low - even walking up a steep incline can be higher intensity than you're after on easy days.
Old 03-23-19, 03:39 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I find intervals on the road are too difficult to stay in the zone so I do them on the trainer, and do my endurance / distance on the road where staying in the zone isn't as critical.
Old 03-24-19, 03:27 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
50/34 11-36 is the gearing I use for hilly seattle commutes to keep my rides easy. Then you just have to learn to keep the power down. Usually that means 4mph at ~60rpm on 8-10% grades. Helps if you have a powermeter to watch your efforts along with HR
This is along the lines of what I would try, have wide-range gears on your bike, enabling you to keep cadence up reasonably well and your power down in (I think it's) Friel zones 1 and 2.