Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't find barrel adjuster

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 06:05 AM
bmca620

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Specialized Diverge A1 with a Shimano Claris and I'm having trouble figuring out where the barrel adjuster for the front or rear derailleur is.

I can see two likely places it could be but I can't turn either to adjust.

I wanted to attach some pictures showing where I think the barrel adjuster for the rear derailleur could be but I'm not allowed to yet. One is on the rear derailleur itself and the other is under the down tube.

Could anyone point out to me where I'm going wrong? Is there some way I need to turn them? Am I looking in the wrong places?

Thanks
Old 06-16-19, 06:19 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
The one on the rear derailleur is right where the cable enters the derailleur. Out front, there usually is none at the derailleur. It can be an inline adjuster (somewhere along the cable) or on the cable boss on the downtube.

Old 06-16-19, 06:23 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
First, only try adjusting with a slack cable. On the rear, shift into your lowest gear, quit pedaling, then shift into your highest gear. This will give you maximum slack. On the front, it's opposite.

Often an adjuster will seize onto the housing end. When the cable is slack, try pulling the housing out of the adjuster and be sure this isn't happening.

Then try loosening the adjuster. It should be able to thread all the way out. Inspect the threads for corrosion and damage and repair as needed.
Old 06-16-19, 09:23 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
It will be easier to adjust and less likely to strip/bind if you relieve the cable tension before making the adjustments. Same with derailleur limit screws; don't try to drive the screw against the spring, pull the der away from the screw, then turn it.
Old 06-16-19, 01:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
functionally, on the repair stand, the back location lets me see what the adjustment changes..
Old 06-17-19, 07:35 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Welcome. If you google "bicycle part names" you will see lots of diagrams showing part names which can vary by manufacturer or source. The top tube adjuster might on some diagrams be identified as a "housing stop". Also searching for "derailleur adjustment" will find lots of help showing you how and why to turn the adjuster. The Park Tool website and Park Tool videos on You Tube would be good starting points.