Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

102mm Chorus BB 10 speed record crank.. enough clearance??

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-16-19, 02:58 PM
Augie B

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am building my old Lemond Buenos Aires into a full Campy Bike, the Lemond has English threads. I have a 10 speed record crank but the bottom bracket That I was using with this crank is Italian (102mm)and will not work with the Lemond. so I ordered a new 102mm Chorus bb w/ English threads. I am a bit worried that the crank won’t have enough spacing from the frame. The Bike originally had an Octalink Shimano 105 crank that was much wider, but I think these cranks used a different taper that allows enough clearance with a smaller spindle... does anyone know if this is true?

Last edited by Augie B; 06-17-19 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Confusing text
Old 06-16-19, 03:12 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Augie B
I am building my old Lemond Buenos Aires into a full Campy Bike. I have a 10 speed record crank but the bottom bracket for said crank is Italian (102mm) so I ordered a new 102mm Chorus bb w/ English threads. I am a bit worried that the crank won’t have enough spacing from the frame but I think these cranks used a different taper that allows enough clearance with a smaller spindle... does anyone know if this is true?
Confusing information here. Is the frame English threaded or Italian? The spindle length for either for your crank is the same as is the spindle length for most Chorus and Record cranks. Whether your frame is English or Italian the bottom bracket spindle is the same length. The 102mm bb does not change length for English threading
Old 06-16-19, 07:18 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Italian thread is a different size cup and on one side is threaded different from English. There is nothing you can do to make an English threaded BB fit into a bike that is set up for Italian.

A 102 mm BB is pretty much the standard for 10 speed campy with a double. It fit perfectly fine on my steel bike with a 130mm rear hub.

I currently run that crank on a cross bike with 135mm rear hub. That bike is 1x. I had to get a little funny to get a chain line to work on it.

Also to clarify, Campy ISO and nearly everything else JIS are 2 degree taper. Campy is just ever so slightly smaller. A ISO crank on a JIS bb will stick out 4.5mm further. A JIS crank on a ISO crank will be 4.5 mm further in, and may bottom out if the crank has been reinstalled a bunch of times. It's usually fine to ride if you account for this difference when you buy the new BB.
Old 06-17-19, 07:38 AM
Augie B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Confusing information here. Is the frame English threaded or Italian? The spindle length for either for your crank is the same as is the spindle length for most Chorus and Record cranks. Whether your frame is English or Italian the bottom bracket spindle is the same length. The 102mm bb does not change length for English threading
Let me clarify, the bike was originally had an English threaded octalink 105 crank. The bottom bracket I had for this crank was an Italian threaded 102 mm Omni racer bb... sorry for confusion...
Old 06-17-19, 07:46 AM
Augie B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Italian thread is a different size cup and on one side is threaded different from English. There is nothing you can do to make an English threaded BB fit into a bike that is set up for Italian.

A 102 mm BB is pretty much the standard for 10 speed campy with a double. It fit perfectly fine on my steel bike with a 130mm rear hub.

I currently run that crank on a cross bike with 135mm rear hub. That bike is 1x. I had to get a little funny to get a chain line to work on it.

Also to clarify, Campy ISO and nearly everything else JIS are 2 degree taper. Campy is just ever so slightly smaller. A ISO crank on a JIS bb will stick out 4.5mm further. A JIS crank on a ISO crank will be 4.5 mm further in, and may bottom out if the crank has been reinstalled a bunch of times. It's usually fine to ride if you account for this difference when you buy the new BB.
I will have to edit my post so it’s more clear. The bike is English, I have a bb for my record crank but it’s Italian, I ordered a new English bb that has the same 102 mm spindle as the Italian bb I have now. I was about 75% sure that these later record and chorus cranks didn’t require as long of a bb as you would usually use.

My bike is also 130mm rear spacing, so hopefully it will work as it did on yours!
Old 06-17-19, 08:17 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
I bet you will be fine.
Old 06-17-19, 02:15 PM
Augie B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I bet you will be fine.
I think you’re right, but if I’m not ...I will have a nice bb for sale 😂
Old 06-17-19, 09:26 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
You should be fine. Otherwise, I think the next length up is 111 or 115, which was intended for a triple.