Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Building Cross Barriers

Old 01-24-07, 05:28 PM
drumbum

Bikes: Moots CX, Redline CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building Cross Barriers

Hi all,
I'm aware of the lameness of my question; please forgive me:

Whats the best way to build a set of cyclocross barriers? Looking at constructing a couple for around my property. Standards? Materials?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-07, 06:49 PM
Walleye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made some out of 1/2" PVC pipe. I'm assuming you want a pair for practice. I think that for each barrier, i needed 10' straight PVC, two 90* elbows, and two 90* tee connectors. Out of the 10-footer, cut a 3' piece (the cross piece you'll hop), two 16" (or whatever height you want to jump) pieces for the down tubes, and four 12" pieces that will serve as bracket stands. What's nice about these is that they break before you do should you fall on them- not a feature of, say, pressure-treated 2x lumber. They are also light, and twist flat (or disassemble) should you want to take them somewhere. As far as standards go (height?), I routinely learn and forget this several times/season
Old 01-24-07, 09:09 PM
ronbridal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye
I made some out of 1/2" PVC pipe. I'm assuming you want a pair for practice. I think that for each barrier, i needed 10' straight PVC, two 90* elbows, and two 90* tee connectors. Out of the 10-footer, cut a 3' piece (the cross piece you'll hop), two 16" (or whatever height you want to jump) pieces for the down tubes, and four 12" pieces that will serve as bracket stands. What's nice about these is that they break before you do should you fall on them- not a feature of, say, pressure-treated 2x lumber. They are also light, and twist flat (or disassemble) should you want to take them somewhere. As far as standards go (height?), I routinely learn and forget this several times/season
I built something very similar but I used two horizontal bars to make it sturdier. My barriers are also a little wider. This is a very cheap way to do it and makes the hurdles very mobile as well. I have two built and stick them on my shoulder and ride down to the park to practice. Below is a picture of one of the hurdles. If you build like this, you will need two elbow joints, four tee connectors, and enough PVC. Not a bad set up. Plus you can take off the top tube and practice bunnyhops.
Old 01-24-07, 09:09 PM
ronbridal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgot the picture.

Old 01-24-07, 10:38 PM
endform
blacksheep the blemish

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur (manufactured by panasonic), Italvega Super Speciale (fixed, primary ride now), Kona 2004 JTS 10 spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could also have your 8' or whatever horizontal bar attached on both ends with a T, and then put a 16" or whatever piece on one side of each T, then pound some rebar into the ground through the open hole.
Old 01-25-07, 08:10 PM
drumbum

Bikes: Moots CX, Redline CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronbridal
Forgot the picture.

Went to Lowe's tonight and bought the same supplies as in your picture for a grand total of $4.08. Will assemble tomorrow...thanks again!
Old 01-28-07, 11:14 AM
JimmyMack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye
I did this same thing. It works great as Walleye pointed out. Very portable. If you hook up with a couple of friends for practice they will be very happy you brought them.

A folding lawn chair bag works well for carrying the parts when broken down. Practicing Barriers is not lame by any means, well maybe to the genreal public. Barrier work is essential and I commend you on your effort.