Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Lumpy Grass

Old 10-29-07, 01:50 PM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lumpy Grass

For some reason (oh, I know ... I'm puny) I have trouble with this stuff. Not dirt, not short grass, not mud or sand, but longish (4") field grass w/ soft ground underneath. It just seems to sap my momentum and I find myself struggling to keep any speed going in it. A lot of the time I find it really jarring as well which adds to the problem.

I'm a fairly light guy (140# or so), rookie (senior 4) and normally run my tires low (34-38psi). Any tips on being faster through terrain like this?
Old 10-29-07, 02:03 PM
bobbotron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shapelike
For some reason (oh, I know ... I'm puny) I have trouble with this stuff. Not dirt, not short grass, not mud or sand, but longish (4") field grass w/ soft ground underneath. It just seems to sap my momentum and I find myself struggling to keep any speed going in it. A lot of the time I find it really jarring as well which adds to the problem.

I'm a fairly light guy (140# or so), rookie (senior 4) and normally run my tires low (34-38psi). Any tips on being faster through terrain like this?
I have similar problems with lumpy grass that jars you and slows you down. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I'm really interested in seeing what other people say about this.
Old 10-29-07, 02:52 PM
Cyclist01012 
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dont plant your a** on the saddle. Float with the bike use your legs like shocks.
I find myself standing and hammering this type of stuff more then anywhere else on a course.
Old 10-29-07, 02:59 PM
JimmyMack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's just slow going. Groups get broken up on the stuff rather quickly, but no one is going to be flying by any means. It's just a long slugfest.

For short section with a paved section beforehand, you gotta get a bigger gear up to speed and ram through the stuff. You have to post a bit and allow the bike to dance underneath you, but keep pedaling. Get on the tops, and allow your arms to relax and absorb the front end. Keep your butt of the seat so the rear can dance as well. You might pedal without being in contact with the ground, but eventually you'll touch down again. Be a rock getting skipped across a lake.

A long section is a mental battle. The ground might be flat, but treat it like a long road climb. Keep the pressure on until you reach the end, but don't end your effort there. Once on the pavement, get the bike up to speed and carry some momentum. Ok, now try and recover some.
Old 10-29-07, 05:02 PM
flargle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shapelike
For some reason I have trouble with this stuff.
Join the club. It's slow terrain.

I'm with Milice here, you want to have your shocks (legs and arms) in full effect. Think of a good mogul skier or a good motocross racer going through the whoops.

But you still have to burn matches to get through the stuff fast.
Old 10-29-07, 05:17 PM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so I'm not the only one who finds this hard (yay). Thanks for the tips, all. I'll see if I can make some improvements this week when I'm practicing.