Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-11, 10:26 AM
Spatchka

Bikes: 1979 Schwinn Caliente - 2002 Trek 4900 Alpha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

1979 Schwinn Varsity
2002 Trek Alpha 4900

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

No pills or meds at all yet...

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

Since moving here two years ago, been hiking alot getting in shape for a go at the AT in a year or so. Now, I've added biking to the mix again.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Biked a lot in the 70's ( Colorado ), 80's ( England ) and 90's ( So.Cal ), stopped for some reason, but now back at it.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Short trips, exploring the area.

59 years old and my best sports moment is STILL standing on the side of a road in 1988, watching the 'Tour' go by in France!
Old 12-31-11, 04:33 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, glad to see you here!

Where is "NashVegas"?
Old 12-31-11, 06:05 PM
Spatchka

Bikes: 1979 Schwinn Caliente - 2002 Trek 4900 Alpha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NashVegas is what some locals refer to our city, Nashville, Tennessee.

Nice place to live after 15 years in Nebraska.
Old 01-07-12, 09:43 AM
AmFaeEmbra
NewKidInTown

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Please tell us your age.
Just 58 - call me Junior round here!

I’ve had what I call my Bumpy Bike, something like this but black and yellow - https://www.jonathanen.com/pages/Items/Apollo/Excel.jpg and without that strangely shaped back tyre :o) - for about 14-15 years and it’s still going strong after all the batterings it’s had.

I’ve had this Old Road Bike - https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4591762485_3655a84c7e_b.jpg - an Edinburgh Bike Co-op Continental Race for maybe 4 years.

But recently bought the New Road Bike - https://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/image...ortive_046.jpg - a Ribble Sportive Bianco. A great piece of kit, and I can’t see me needing to get any more after this one - I’ve been spoilt. Or to put it another way - I’m not spending any more for a bike than what that one cost unless I suddenly become very serious.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Ha! Years ago, I started taking glucosamine sulphate because my knees were giving me bother - helped a little, so I kept taking them. Because of some postural problems, I started treatment by a chiropractor 8 months ago. I haven’t taken these tablets for months now. Moral of the story - always get the right person to check you over!

I don’t think I have. My longest ride is a once a year 50-mile run for charity - I’m usually around the same time or sometimes chip a few minutes off previous times. Take away the coastal winds and I’m sure I’d be faster with every run :o) I’ve fractured the same thumb twice in ten years (different types of fracture, though!) after coming off bikes - you slow down quite quickly when that happens ;o)

Biked as a kid/teenager on some “Heinz” bikes - those ones made up of 57 varieties that most kids round my way cobbled together. Recreational cyclist for the past 14-15 years.

Weekend recreational mostly. I'm trying to squeeze out the time to go back to 1hr+ every day and I’ll then be able to take off the 25-30lbs I’ve put on since the glory days. I must say I'm getting highly motivated the more time I spend on BikeForums.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Not as often as I’d like. Probably 1200-1400pa currently.

Last edited by AmFaeEmbra; 01-10-12 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-07-12, 09:46 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome, AmFaeEmbra.

Your claims of no more bicycles fall on deaf ears!!
Old 01-07-12, 06:47 PM
AmFaeEmbra
NewKidInTown

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
What you have to remember, Dnvr, is that I'm Scots - and a TIGHT Scot at that. Bikes two and three would have to be sold before I succumbed to another road bike.

Well, bike two would definitely be sold first.

Hmmm, maybe I'll join the S-1 club instead of the N+1 :o)
Old 01-08-12, 02:26 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AmFaeEmbra
But recently bought the New Road Bike - https://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/image...ortive_046.jpg - a Ribble Sportive Bianco. A great piece of kit, and I can’t see me needing to get any more after this one - I’ve been spoilt. Or to put it another way - I’m not spending any more for a bike than what that one cost unless I suddenly become very serious.
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Welcome, AmFaeEmbra.

Your claims of no more bicycles fall on deaf ears!!
So what is the Ribble Like in comparison to other bikes? Not a bike I know but it does have a good reputation for a respectable bike at a respectable price.

And you have to learn about N+1. it is a fact and no getting away from it. Even if you do have deep pockets and short arms.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-08-12, 06:54 AM
AmFaeEmbra
NewKidInTown

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
So what is the Ribble Like in comparison to other bikes? Not a bike I know but it does have a good reputation for a respectable bike at a respectable price.
I have a monthly subscription to Cycling Active magazine and Ribble usually have pages 2+3 of every issue - so their marketing is definitely paying dividends. Here's their review of the Sportive, and another review from Cycling Weekly - which is very similar as both magazines are from the same publisher :o) Their writers are far more eloquent than me, so I'll let them tell you.

Originally Posted by stapfam
And you have to learn about N+1. it is a fact and no getting away from it. Even if you do have deep pockets and short arms.
I have a reputation to keep up, you know! I'm already well into the N+1 thing - I promised myself that The Old Bike was being sold to make way for The New Bike but I've discovered a new low in self-motivation. Apart from the fact that there are now three bikes in the flat, I've also been told about the other equation of S-1, where you can get away with buying more for your stable apart from the very last one. S seems to stand for Spouse and/or Separation from spouse.

I know that would be a no-brainer for most on this forum, but she keeps a tidy house :o)
Old 01-08-12, 10:32 AM
peteydink

Bikes: '10 Scattante CFR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
73 for another couple of months. Also am a Clydesdale.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Performance '10 Scattante CF Race
2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Just a B complex.
3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Well I think I am in a speed up phase as I loose weight (down to 230 from 285). Average ride speed now around 13-14 mph.
4. How long have you been biking? Learned to ride a bike at 35.
5. What type of biking do you do? Mainly short rec rides. Rode RAGBRAI in 2010.
6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? Ride three to four times a week for around 20-40 miles. Rode ~3500 miles last year.
Old 01-16-12, 11:36 AM
BouncinBob
WA2IEK

Bikes: Cannondale Hooligan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My winter update...

I hope you've all been well! For the first time since labor day, I've missed a week's cycling. An upper respitory bug, and cold weather are cited. However, I did not miss work, probably because I have been riding for months and have some strenth back. Previously I'd have missed time. I did also get out to the local bike shop and upgraded my Schwinn with a Sunlite adjustable stem and a Cloud Nine full sized gel foam and spring suspension comfort seat. My bigbox cheapo mountain bike is now a hybrid!
Old 01-16-12, 05:50 PM
Peter01

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, 55:

1. Type of bike:

Cannondale Caad 10

2 Supplements:

Fish oil tablets to try and keep my heart a little stronger, and my vision better. (Not working on the vision!)

3 Slowed down?

No not really.

4 How long have you been biking?

I began at 50 when I finally realized that you do have to do exercise or you get fat. I hated jogging (didn't do it) and cycling seemed worth a try. Never looked back.

5 What type of biking do I do?

Exclusively road riding. There is a good cycling club near me with plenty of members (including plenty of older members) and they are strong on road riding.

6. How often do you bike?

3 or 4 times a week, or when I can. About 140 miles a week.

As far as I'm concerned there's no better combination of exercise, fun and social than road riding. I love it.
Old 01-16-12, 06:52 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome

peteydink

peter01

We have several folks from Oz land and peter01 you have me beat by about 1.5 years - I just turned 72 in November

Bouncinbob - keep on bouncing!!
Old 01-17-12, 06:11 PM
DNV391

Bikes: 2008 Trek 6000 and 2012 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.
Just hit the Big 50 less than a week ago and proud of it

I own a 2012 Trek Madone 5.2 with Unobtainium wheels and GPS tracking for road and a 2008 Trek 6000 for trails.

Plain old Centrum Performance multi-vitamins

The spirit is still willing but the body is in question.

Rode a bike as a kid then started running and biking in my teen years. Got back into only biking after a knee injury a few years ago.

Ride duration ranges from 1 hour and up depending on weather, mood, and IOR quotient (Idiots On Road).

Try to ride daily for cardio training. Around 1500 to 2000 or so.
Old 01-19-12, 03:00 PM
capnjack52

Bikes: 1985 Trek 2000, 2013 Bianchi Oltre XR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Seasoned Rider ...

Please tell us your age.
Just celebrated my 60th a week ago, though I don't feel a day over 59 ...

Bought a new Puch Marco Polo to take on a long Mediterranean deployment with the Navy in 1978 and, a few years later, a new 1985 Trek 2000 (full Dura Ace and tubulars) which I still ride to this day. Contemplating a new steel Italian bike ... to go with my other steel Italian, a 2003 Ducati ST4s.

None. Tried taking glucosamine/chondroitin a while back, but didn't see any benefit from it.

I may not have the snap that I had in my younger years, but speed and endurance haven't faded too much. Ran daily for @ 12 years, but worn/torn medial menisci and bilateral arthroscopies 2x put an end to that, though I've been able to continue refereeing competitive football (soccer) for the last 18 years.

Been riding on and off since I was a kid, fairly steadily since '84.

At the moment, long work hours and caring for my 91 yo father restrict riding time, but I get in short/medium training rides when I can. FWIW, Dad gave up two-wheeling @ 3 years ago - along with kayaking and roller skating - because of inner ear balance problems, but he's still rolling along on a Trek Pure trike. There's my example, folks!

As mentioned, time constraints have limited riding time, so I'm under 1k per year right now. However, turning 60 has provided a new impetus to get out and ride!
Old 01-20-12, 02:37 AM
Peter01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bouncin Bob, you're way in front of me. Doing all that at 72 - - I take my hat off to you. May you continue for many years to come, and enjoy it.
Old 01-21-12, 03:47 PM
BouncinBob
WA2IEK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Originally Posted by Peter01
Bouncin Bob, you're way in front of me. Doing all that at 72 - - I take my hat off to you. May you continue for many years to come, and enjoy it.
Welcome to the board Peter! I think you might have me mistaken for DnvrFox. I am only one of the Fifty-plus year oldsters. By the way, most of the seventy-plus year oldsters here are faster and have more range than me, so mount up on that bike and start cranking it!

Last edited by BouncinBob; 01-21-12 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-21-12, 03:57 PM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
56 years old in 2 weeks and 3 days

88 Schwinn Circuit
89 Schwinn CrissCross
2003 Trek 5200 (ride this most of the time)
GNC Mega Men 50+ and Sport
Omega 3 1000 mg per day

Not much

Since I was a kid. Took it up again in 88 for about 5 years or so, and then again in early 2011

Like to do rides above 20 miles

4-5 times a week, depending on schedule
Old 01-22-12, 04:20 PM
Peter01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the correction Bob.

Looking forward to my seventies now!
Old 01-23-12, 08:46 AM
wwilson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw Palmetto

[QUOTE=Nightshade;592158]I have used this supplement for number of years on advice from my doctor. It helps and as others have stated, no other affectsnoted
Old 01-23-12, 02:36 PM
bluenosee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I'm 55 and started biking last summer. I have a $100 bike and I bought it just to see if I would enjoy biking. I like to run, but I have been finding it hard on the old knees so I thought I would give biking a try. I started out doing 25kms aride, then uped it to 50. The lastr few I did was around 90kms , but then the snow came it that was that. I don't take any vitamins etc and I don't watch what I eat. I hope to upgrade to a decent road bike soon. I have no intention of "slowing down" and would love to bike across the country when I retire.
Old 01-27-12, 10:46 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
I'll be 64 this Sunday. While still fairly fast on the flats, I'm a lot slower on the hills. It's because of weight. Not that I'm particularly heavy at 5'11" and 175 pounds. However, on the rare occasions I've slimmed down to 160 for some hard rides, I've felt like I was 25 again, and ridden like it.

Last March I had a heart attack. My cardiologist told me I'd probably never be as strong a rider again. I'm somewhat of a contrarian. To prove that young whippersnapper wrong, I was back on my bike - albeit slowly - a week after my heart attack, and I started pushing myself a few weeks later.

I have no qualms about riding the steepest hills I can find, and once in a while I'll push it to the max for several seconds to crest a steep climb. On the other hand, I do carry a vial of nitroglycerin tablets.

I'm thinking I might try riding my age on Sunday (battling winter weather with forecast of mid-70 temps here in Los Angeles). I still have and ride my French Follis road bike I've had since 1962, when I was 14.

Riding my fixed gear bike is another way to feel 25 again. So Monday I'm picking up a new fixie, as a birthday present to myself.

I'm not ready to slow down yet.

Last edited by icyclist; 01-28-12 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-29-12, 04:30 PM
BouncinBob
WA2IEK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Senior Hooligan! Or, a Clydesdale on a Cannondale!

Bluenosee, Icyclist, good to read about your progress, overcoming the budget and health barriers, etc, I have come into some good luck today, My brother's children are all off on their own now and he and his wife are moving to Nevada. One of his sons had a 2010 Cannondale Holligan 8, a compact "urban commuter" bike and was trying to sell but didn't. I wound up with it and put on new Innova kevlar tires and 5x thick Slime tubes today, same like I'd done with my Schwinns. I found that I am faster on pavement with this little bike than with the Schwinns, although of course the Schwinns are much better on dirt. The Cannondale will become my new primary street commuter bike! Here's a photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0030-1.jpg (92.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by BouncinBob; 01-29-12 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-29-12, 07:58 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
It sure is great to see all the new members coming here and the progress. Y'all stick around and keep posting in the forum, please.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-30-12, 10:54 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I am 52 and have been actively riding since I was 12 and got my first '10 speed". I have younger kids (11 and 6) and we have been doing a summer family week tours since my oldest was 6. We ride a tandem with a Trail-a bike behind it, Loaded up for a tour we weigh 480 pounds or so and I have geared down the thing so I can keep going when the kids poop out. (and I REALLY appreciate when I get a chance to go out solo on my single Salsa Fargo!.) Summer tours have included around Lake Champlain, Pgh to DC,, Across NY on Erie Canal, and some others. I did my first tour when I was 30, a solo ride from Pittsburgh to Portland ME. I am now a big advocate of touring with kids and do just about anything I can to get families into it. I even do presentations at the local REI store on it.

I have never looked at this forum before as I never thought 50+ touring was much different from 50- touring,,, I just keep going out there until I can't any more I guess. I ride intermittently as I never have enough time to ride regularly. I do not train much before a tour but get in a little extra at least, Most everything seems to be holding up well. My only secret if there is one is I take 3000 MG of Omega 3 fish oil every day. It is good for heart health, to prevent strokes and has, for me at least is amazingly effective at reducing my chronic lower back pain. It took about 7 - 8 months before I started to see pain benefits and I slip back to normal painful self if I stop taking it for a week or so. If you try fish oil, get the 100% omega 3 not the 3-6-9 blend that is cheaper. You already have too much 6 and 9 in your system already, and the omega 3 is all that you really will benefit from. Also be sure it is molecularly distilled to eliminate mercury and PCBs.

I never think about riding much more than one pedal stroke at a time. That seems to be the best way to look back at the end of a season and see you rode 1000 or more miles. If yI look ahead at 1000 miles to go, I'd never make it. Every hill, every season one stroke at a time. I plan to ride trans AM the same way when I finally retire in 15 years or so (I hope), one stroke at a time and never thinking ahead at how far I have to go, just looking back occasionally at how far I have been.

Keep the rubber side down!

Last edited by dwmckee; 01-31-12 at 08:58 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 02-01-12, 07:18 PM
Peter01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I've heard good things about taking Omega 3 tablets. Whilst I don't like taking supplements, and don't even really use gels, I do take fish oil. I think there's many good reasons, including reducing your risk of heart attack, and at 55 that has to be good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.