Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Red Shield.....anyone here have experience with it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 07:47 AM
Smallguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

I'm in the market for a new bike and the shop I've dealt with for a few years is recommending a trek... They also sell the Red Shield warranty package

From their description of it and what I've read on the Trek site it sounds amazing

I've also been told Trek is great to deal with if you have Red shield and they've had no issues at all with any warranty claims

has anyone here had issues with their Red Shield warranty

I'm looking at a new MTB but the road forum seems to get more traffic and more replies

PS. I know lots of people have had warranty issues as the 2nd owner please leave the bashing/ I bought the frame used and Trek screwed me over stuff out of the thread
Old 03-15-11, 08:20 AM
Adrianinkc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a 1.5 last July with the red shield plan, but I sold it in November so I didn't get to use the plan. Although it made it easier to sell since all the components where under a 5 year warranty. Keep in mind the first year is not included it starts after the year warranty by trek. I broke a couple spokes on the 1.5 and I had to pay for them until the first year of red shield.
Old 03-15-11, 09:27 AM
thcri

Bikes: Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrianinkc
I bought a 1.5 last July with the red shield plan, but I sold it in November so I didn't get to use the plan. Although it made it easier to sell since all the components where under a 5 year warranty. Keep in mind the first year is not included it starts after the year warranty by trek. I broke a couple spokes on the 1.5 and I had to pay for them until the first year of red shield.

But wouldn't your dealer have covered them under the first year or is spokes not covered under any warranty?

I usually don't buy extended warranties. However in this case I am contemplating it for two reasons. One is wear and tear is covered from what I am told. I need to read more into it but if a chain fails due to wear it is covered or any other part. The second reason is my bike did not come from the Local Bike Shop but from a place out east through an Awards Program. Having the Red Shield I think I would get better service from the LBS if they sold at least the Red Shield to me.
Old 03-15-11, 10:10 AM
Smallguy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the idea of the wear and tear with a mtb you usually give it more abuse than most road bikes will ever see

if my understanding is correct I can essentially ride my bike like it's stolen for a year and on the 366th take it to my local trek dealer and get anything and everything I need replaced... IE chain, cassette, new crank or rings.. new cables and have essentially a just off the showroom build again minus any cosmetic stuff.

it sounds too good to be true
Old 03-15-11, 10:16 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smallguy
I like the idea of the wear and tear with a mtb you usually give it more abuse than most road bikes will ever see

if my understanding is correct I can essentially ride my bike like it's stolen for a year and on the 366th take it to my local trek dealer and get anything and everything I need replaced... IE chain, cassette, new crank or rings.. new cables and have essentially a just off the showroom build again minus any cosmetic stuff.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.
Old 03-15-11, 10:25 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
what's not covered:

"exposure to weather conditions"

so, sorry, you rode your bike on a sunny day. coverage declined.
Old 03-15-11, 10:43 AM
Adrianinkc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thcri
But wouldn't your dealer have covered them under the first year or is spokes not covered under any warranty?

I usually don't buy extended warranties. However in this case I am contemplating it for two reasons. One is wear and tear is covered from what I am told. I need to read more into it but if a chain fails due to wear it is covered or any other part. The second reason is my bike did not come from the Local Bike Shop but from a place out east through an Awards Program. Having the Red Shield I think I would get better service from the LBS if they sold at least the Red Shield to me.
The lbs covered the first spoke not the 2nd or 3rd. The wheel is under warranty from trek not the spokes. From what I was told.
Old 03-15-11, 10:45 AM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider
Ding ding ding. We have a winner.
Basically. Companies are in it to make money.
Old 03-15-11, 10:46 AM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrianinkc
The lbs covered the first spoke not the 2nd or 3rd. The wheel is under warranty from trek not the spokes. From what I was told.
My understanding was that Red Shielf only covers the first anything.
Old 03-15-11, 11:24 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also, at least if my memory still works..... Most extended warranties for the most part are refundable if cancelled for the balance of the warranty. So I would think if you sold a bike early you would be able to recoup the balance of that warranty.

Well, it works that way in WA State anyways.... ymmv.

Lots of people who purchase this kind of coverage for a car for instance never bother to cancel it when they sell or trade in a car after a few years. Often times forgetting that they would get a refund of the balance if they just contacted the warranty company.
Old 03-15-11, 11:34 AM
thcri

Bikes: Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallguy

That does bring up an interesting point. My LBS asked me how many miles a year I plan on putting on the bike. With that he told me that on an average I would go through 3 chains in the 5 years. Which would pay for 75% of plan in itself. But I think they would frown if you walked in and asked for all to be replaced.

Originally Posted by Velo Gator
My understanding was that Red Shielf only covers the first anything.
See above.

Like I said before I am not a fan of extended warranties but I just felt overall that I would get better service out of my LBS since I did not get the bike from them.
Old 05-22-17, 11:58 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well they have had my bike for a week and I went in and they are waiting for parts. They are replacing my entire 10sp group set minus the brake calipers with a 11sp group set. He said it was about 1200 bucks worth of parts. Red Shield warranty has way more then paid for itself.
Old 05-22-17, 04:12 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
ZOMBIE THREAD...LOL

FYI...Trek no longer offers Red Shield or the warranty program they put in its place after that actually covered CRASHES...which the underwriters decided not to re-up for so they had to discontinue the program due to too many claims being paid out.

That said, I had Red Shield on my 2012 Trek and it definitely paid for itself with replacement Ultegra crank (I had 105), New upgraded wheel set plus cables, bottom brackets and chains....
Old 05-22-17, 06:50 PM
shokhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I know, no more Red Shield, Trek has there own type of Red Shield.
Old 05-23-17, 10:53 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by shokhead
Yes I know, no more Red Shield, Trek has there own type of Red Shield.

Unsure what you mean? Red Shield "was" Trek's warranty program. That was replaced Trek Care Plus a more comprehensive program which was discontinued in 2014. I worked at a Trek store when the program was ended and they no longer offer ANY warranty program. Which is a bummer since I purchased my Domane in 2015 and this year added an Emonda....neither have the warranty program as it is no longer offered.
Old 05-23-17, 11:22 AM
shokhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red Shield was another insur that Trek used. Trek owns Trek care. That's was when I asked the difference it was well with Red Shield if it was close we would go a head and fix/replace. With Trek care it has to be worn/broke before we will. They still have at least at the Trek shop I use Trek Care or whatever they call it.

• Normal wear and tear coverage on select components
  • Accidental damage coverage on frames and select components
  • Extended factory warranty inclusive of already great Trek Care warranty plan
  • Three years of coverage
  • Coverage starts on day one
  • Easy repairs/replacements at any authorized Trek Care Plus retailer
  • No out of pocket expenses
  • No deductible
  • No hidden fees
  • Plan is transferable (owner to owner)
Trek Care Plus

Last edited by shokhead; 05-23-17 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-23-17, 12:55 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
they offer the package to make money. meaning that it costs you more than it costs them, on average. doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth it for some people.

for instance, i'm sure my brother-in-law would never get a good night's sleep again if he thought there was even the slightest chance that there could be some sort of defect, that was attributable to the manufacturer, that he would have to pay to get fixed, unless he had paid an exorbitant amount for a promise, no matter how unlikely it would be honored, that he would somehow be compensated.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 05-23-17 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-23-17, 02:40 PM
shokhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well a couple of chains and cassettes and cables will pay for the insurance if you ride enough miles. Someone that does not ride much like 50 miles a week might not get the money's worth put of it.
Old 05-30-17, 12:34 PM
shokhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I got A complete 11sp groupset because nothing10sp works with the 11sp. $1500 bucks worth of parts. All I paid was 200 bucks labor. Guy told me within next 6 months, Velo care I think he called it which is nation wide like Red Shield was.
Old 06-10-17, 08:47 PM
shokhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know if it's because it's new or it's an 11 sp but it sure is sweet and works great!