Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Why do Craigslist sellers overprice folding bikes?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 02:53 AM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it due to ignorance? Or do folding bikes depreciate really slowly? Am I missing something here?
Old 07-20-12, 03:24 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it could be due to the fact that the used market for folders is a small one. Most people just have their cherished folders laying about for that hopefully, not too distant trip to europe or somewhere. Also, many people remember paying quite a bit for their folders, just before vacationing several years ago and haven't used it, but just for a couple of trips, and feel that they didn't quite get their "money's worth" out of the darned thing. They would therefore, tend to want to recoup a portion of their perceived loss.

Chances are, they really don't want to part with their Bromptons and Fridays, but finance dictates otherwise, in this dwindling economy. They therefore, hold the line on their prices.

Last edited by SlimRider; 07-20-12 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-20-12, 05:00 AM
jolly_ross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's only worth what someone will pay for it; Equally, if someone pays the price then that's what it was worth.

The market is all - if the bikes sell then they're not overpriced.
Old 07-20-12, 05:49 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Why are most bikes on CL overpriced? I routinely see BSO's that are listed for anywhere from 90%-120% of retail, and all they need is a "tuneup" and "air in the tires" and it will be "ready to ride"....RIIIIIGHT!

A lot of people have this strange idea that their stuff is worth more than everybody elses, even when there is evidence to the contrary. I stopped by a thrift store in a small town in SC the other day. He had several 3 speeds, wanted $150 a piece for them, they all needed work, some more than others, they were stored outside in the weather. None of them were high quality, most were Ross, Huffy or Sears. I would not have paid more than $75 for the best of them and that would be a stretch. He still has them.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-20-12, 07:39 AM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Training.Wheels
Is it due to ignorance? Or do folding bikes depreciate really slowly? Am I missing something here?
Since there are no listing fees, sellers can ask whatever they want and how many times they want it. If they are listing fees, sellers usually either price it accordingly to sell or don't list them too many times. You can always counteroffer. A friend of mine always drive a very hard bargain and managed to have bought a few used Giants for a pretty good nice and almost all the time he went to buy and pick it up, the sellers were almost always mad that he or she had to like give it away at 50 to 70% off what they paid for for something that's used very little. But that's life I guess, because if you need it, you wouldn't be listing in Craigslist anyhow..

You should check out PinkBike. They are even more outrageous as they cater towards high end bikes.
Old 07-20-12, 09:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bound to be a cross reference between EPay for some pricing of previous sales

Brompton's hold their value, so they do.

but like when I resold mine the buyer got a lot of free labor and some parts replacements.

other sellers sell, pass the wear and tear issues off, to the buyer ,
then mechanics that like things working properly, put the work in to fix that..

my Brompton #2, donated some parts to Brompton #1, when it resold,
so I could keep some of the more expensive upgrades.
Old 07-20-12, 09:49 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here in the NW U.S., it isn't just folding bikes. It is common for someone to say, I only rode it twice, and expects to get near full retail. Hint, the warranty on a new frame is worth something and so is the free tune ups that many LBS offer.
Old 07-20-12, 10:01 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificcyclist
Since there are no listing fees, sellers can ask whatever they want and how many times they want it. If they are listing fees, sellers usually either price it accordingly to sell or don't list them too many times. You can always counteroffer. A friend of mine always drive a very hard bargain and managed to have bought a few used Giants for a pretty good nice and almost all the time he went to buy and pick it up, the sellers were almost always mad that he or she had to like give it away at 50 to 70% off what they paid for for something that's used very little. But that's life I guess, because if you need it, you wouldn't be listing in Craigslist anyhow..

You should check out PinkBike. They are even more outrageous as they cater towards high end bikes.
I see outrageous prices on Epay too. There is a NOS Sturmey Archer dyno hub from 1955 that has been listed and relisted for over 6 months with a $400 price tag...it is still there. IMHO that hub is worth $150 tops and only if someone is looking for that particular part. I can buy used dynohubs for ~$50 all day long. There was someone that was listing a Raleigh Roadster (DL-1 Tourist) for $499 because it was rare (looked like crap too) I paid $135 for mine and it is in excellent condition.

People can value their stuff at whatever they want, if someone is willing to pay the price that is their choice, otherwise the proud owner can hold onto it for a while longer. On the opposite side of the coin you have people that want everything for next to nothing and won't pay a reasonable price for a product, they can walk away with nothing too.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 07-20-12 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-20-12, 11:10 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
heck on craigslist in my area I've seen the craptastic schwinn tango folding bikes used going for $180 and even $200!?! I doubt anyone would pay for this crap because it lists for $200 at the store brand new! (plus tax). They all say used for a month. I guess after the month they learned that a low end folding bike from a big box store isn't really that good to commute with. The workers at the store didn't even know how to fold them when I asked them so I doubt the workmanship was there when they put it together!
Old 07-20-12, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

The workers at the store didn't even know how to fold them when I asked them so I doubt the workmanship was there when they put it together!
hate to break the news to you but they were not made in Toronto..
Old 07-20-12, 02:47 PM
az2008

Bikes: Schwinn Avenue (Walmart), Former owner of Mongoose Paver. (I have the notable distinction of purchasing the last Paver!)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Azreal911
The workers at the store didn't even know how to fold them when I asked them so I doubt the workmanship was there when they put it together!
That's the biggest downside to BBBs (big-box bikes). The in-store assembly is *really* bad. It's not just the store assembly, but they don't open up the factory assembly (bearings) to check grease and readjust. The factory grease (looks more like Cosmoline, a preservative) and adjustment is almost always horrendous. Way too tight, gritty, indexed feeling.

I've had *very* good experiences with BBBs. But, I completely disassemble them, clean, re-grease and adjust the bearings. The difference is like night and day. If someone's willing to put that kind of sweat equity into them, they can be very good bikes for the money. Otherwise, it's likely to be a huge disappointment.

It's kind of a Catch-22. If someone's willing to do the work, they're also going to benefit from doing their own on-going maintenance, which will be a huge money saver. OTOH, if they are averse to doing the initial overhaul (which I believe is imperative), they're going to find themselves making repeated trips to the LBS for everything going wrong with the bike. (My LBS likes BBBs because they get a lot of maintenance business.).

Relevant to this thread: I picked up a Schwinn Avenue (non-folder, Walmart) for a co-worker who was walking 3 miles to work (after a long period of unemployment, losing his car, etc.). The guy selling it on Craigslist kept saying "these cost $500 new." I pointed out how they're $250 new at Walmart. He lowered his voice and said in a groan: "I know... but the local Schwinn dealer sold it to me for $300 used, leading me to believe it was a bike he sold new. I just want to get my money back."

The bearings on that bike were terribly overtightened. They barely spun freely. So, to me, it was a dual observation. A BBB can be a very negative experience, which it must have been for this guy. But, LBSs aren't everything they're cracked up to be either. The local Schwinn dealer preyed on this guy. As did another LBS who wanted to unload a clunky, over-priced *cruiser* on my co-worker to use for commuting.

The good news is, after overhauling that bike, it rides very sweet. When my co-worker rode it for the first time his face was radiating. His first words were "I can't believe how effortlessly this thing rides. (compared to the cruiser).". He's totally bitten by the bug, making plans to upgrade components, etc.

But, defintely true: If he'd bought one from Walmart and rode it "off the shelf," it would have been a disappointment. IMO, the bike I bought on CL was unrideable. Someone had a bad experience, traded it into the Schwinn LBS, who pawned it off to an unwitting newbie as an LBS bike. Evidentally the LBS did nothing to the bike because the bearings were in really bad adjustment. That's two people with a bad experience to my one co-worker who's having a good experience.

Last edited by az2008; 07-20-12 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 07:49 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Training.Wheels
It is because all manner of stuff of CL is brutally overpriced. I see 500$ Huffy Aerowinds for sale regularly. It has little to do with folding bikes.

Note to the above poster: many LBSs now do minimal set up. They remove the bike from the box and make a few allen wrench adjustments and inflate the tires. Few go beyond that. Most bikes that come from China need overhaul and grease IME, no matter the brand.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 07-21-12, 02:06 AM
az2008

Bikes: Schwinn Avenue (Walmart), Former owner of Mongoose Paver. (I have the notable distinction of purchasing the last Paver!)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
Most bikes that come from China need overhaul and grease IME, no matter the brand.
I agree. One of the better LBSs near me told me their brands come in the same condition I described for BBBs. (I didn't know most LBSs do minimal setup though.). There's a forum for BBBs (www.bigboxbikes.com). A guy who assembles them for an unnamed retailer said he spends 8 minutes. I assume LBSs do more than that.
Old 07-22-12, 09:13 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most of what I ride are BBB level bikes but as has already been mentioned, I tear the bike down and re-assemble it correctly. Not to say that parts such as derailleurs, shifters, rims or spokes are of high quality but they're definitely servicable and should last for a few years of year round riding. When I worked at my LBS I did the same thing to all bikes be they low, mid or high end bikes... I repacked and adjusted all bearings, adjusted derailleurs and shifters and trued the wheels. The fact is that even some of the expensive bikes with long standing reputable names are lacking in the assembly department straight from the factory (many of which come from China... gasp). With a BBB you have a poorly setup bike to begin with and then, in most cases, it was assembled at the department store by someone who may know what a screwdriver, adjustable wrench and pliers are and how to use them (as a pry bar, hammer and wrench respectively) but don't know the first thing about properly assembling a bike. In some extreme cases I've even seen things like handlebars adjusted with the forks pointed backwards... a double face-palm moment.
Old 07-23-12, 07:58 AM
Azreal911

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

hate to break the news to you but they were not made in Toronto..

Of course I know that! but the big box stores get them in boxes with assembly still required, who else do you think has to put them together? yeah the kids in the back room on their summer job. Compare that to the workmanship of a real bike shop which will tension the bolts correctly and make sure the spokes and wheels run true as well as loctite certain parts.
Old 07-23-12, 09:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Antiques pickers and the Vegas pawn shop shows are on TV, now .

maybe a place to see what Haggling over a Price , looks like ..
Old 07-23-12, 04:59 PM
social suicide

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
You could win the lottery or you could be bbc bikes on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1968...item519dccef61
Old 07-23-12, 05:50 PM
mancunian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is definitely a perception that folding bikes don't depreciate -- this article mentions it as a reason they get stolen alot at least in the UK:

https://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...iew-helen-pidd

on the other hand, MY perception that you never know what someone has done to a bike before you get it is why i DIDNt want to start with a second-hand folder no matter how much cheaper it would be.....
Old 07-23-12, 08:19 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Azreal911
Compare that to the workmanship of a real bike shop which will tension the bolts correctly and make sure the spokes and wheels run true as well as loctite certain parts.
In my experience (30 plus years of wrenching) this is no longer true. I've had to repair the sloppy work of pretty much every shop in town at some point. Bikes are taken out of the box and given minimal adjustment and prep. Maybe tightened with an allen wrench here and there. Lower down the price chain, the more likely this is true.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 07-24-12, 10:03 AM
keke

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8 and Mezzo D9

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by social suicide
You could win the lottery or you could be bbc bikes on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1968...item519dccef61
WTH? Why so pricey?
Old 07-24-12, 12:40 PM
Azreal911

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by keke
WTH? Why so pricey?
it's not even refreshed, well if there is a sucker willing to pay for that then there is your market price
Old 07-24-12, 02:31 PM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by keke
WTH? Why so pricey?
BBCBikes doesn't move a lot of bikes, he's looking for the one sucker... well known seller of overpriced stuff. Some of it is OK, but it's always about 5-10x market.
Old 07-24-12, 02:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Why not ask all your CL sellers?

Asking Here is is like sitting in the bleachers commenting
on someone else's last play on the field..
Old 07-25-12, 08:46 AM
BadBoy10

Bikes: Mercier Mini Velo, Rivendell Quickbeam, 80's Hampton Beach Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I overpaid.

I don't know. Good question/observation. I agree-often the ish on CL is over dang priced.

Sadly, I am a seller's dream. I rarely negotiate. I don't do it in retail stores and I don't haggle people on Craigslist.
If the price is ridiculous --I don't contact the person.
If I take the time to set an appointment, go and see the merchandise (yeah usually a bicycle) then I pay the price requested because my decision at the point has been made --I just want to ensure optimum condition of the item.

Usually, I grossly overpay but never have buyer's remorse.

If I seee, likee --I buyee.
Old 07-25-12, 08:53 AM
BadBoy10

Bikes: Mercier Mini Velo, Rivendell Quickbeam, 80's Hampton Beach Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cycle_maven
BBCBikes doesn't move a lot of bikes, he's looking for the one sucker... well known seller of overpriced stuff. Some of it is OK, but it's always about 5-10x market.
We have "one" in South Florida. I purchased from him ---a piece of crap four years ago. He has the personality of a wall and I was so excited drove to Coral Gables and well he had the personality of a wall. Had to have this "vintage Schwinn." I was that sucker. Got the bike home and what a piece of ****. In hindsight, the bicycle was worth zilch. Half the time, I don't think they even clean the bicycle. They put on those $12 tires, a little WD-40 and throw the word "vintage" on the ad. I didn't have the heart to sell it and after repeated postings on CL--I couldn't give the thing away.

At some point, we have to realize the majority of our material items are not holy relics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.