Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

29er Choice: SS Rigid or Entry-level suspension/low level components

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 02-13-14, 05:15 PM
aquateen

Bikes: CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

After years of road riding I have recently begun mountain biking. I inherited an older entry level 26er HT (suntour fork/acera derailleurs/v brakes) but I think I'd like to go 29er. If I get a new bike, I probably won't be able to afford anything with decent components or suspension anyway so should I just go rigid SS? Most of my riding will be in Patapsco State Park in Maryland which is hilly/fairly technical.
Old 02-13-14, 05:38 PM
Millerad1651

Bikes: 2007 Kona King Kikapu - 2012 Raleigh Misceo Trail - 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento - 1989 Nishiki Blazer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you thought about used, or are you set on brand new? I didn't have a huge budget, so I looked around what used bikes were available. I wasn't set on a 29er, I'm not really a fan, but I saw plenty for $600-800. Most we're a year to two old, mid level bikes. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can definitely stretch your money a little further buying used.
Old 02-13-14, 05:43 PM
aquateen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With road bike stuff I have no problem going used but I don't know anything about suspension systems and whether anything is in good shape or not. The idea of not dealing with them/servicing them appeals to me.
Old 02-13-14, 06:37 PM
Glynn Sluder

Bikes: Specialized RH SS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could look around for some used SS rigid bikes on biking forums. Under "singlespeed bikes" on eebay there are 4 or 5 from 200 to 999 bucks, some higher too. Some frames if you might want to build one as well.
Old 02-13-14, 07:49 PM
Millerad1651

Bikes: 2007 Kona King Kikapu - 2012 Raleigh Misceo Trail - 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento - 1989 Nishiki Blazer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aquateen
With road bike stuff I have no problem going used but I don't know anything about suspension systems and whether anything is in good shape or not. The idea of not dealing with them/servicing them appeals to me.
Just like anything else used, you can tell by looking how it's been treated. I did a lot of googling, and a lot of searching mtbr.com for a couple months. There are actually quite a few nice ones out there. You can always take it to a shop and have them check it out, just like taking a used car to a shop you trust before buying. There's always the people who have to have the newest and greatest, and let go of last years model for a hell of a discount. Or the guy who decides to but the most expensive bike, and rides it twice, then it sits for a year next to his $2000 golf clubs.
i picked up a real nice FS bike for a third of its original cost, and it was hardly ridden.
Old 02-13-14, 10:07 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
In your position I'd probably look for an older, probably 26", hardtail with a decentish fork, maybe disc brakes. Unless you're stoked on the rigid idea, then go wild.

What exactly is your budget?
Old 02-14-14, 07:00 AM
aquateen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
budget is a good question, especially considering my wife is next in line for a new bike I would probably have to stay under $500 but i'm also going to stay on this current hardtail for a while to make sure this mountain biking thing sticks with me. i just wanted to get an idea of what people would pick if they HAD to either have a fully rigid ss or an entry level hardtail.
Old 02-14-14, 02:26 PM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you could go a little more than $500, the bike in the link below is a pretty good deal. Comes in other sizes too. It's a little above entry level but certainly not over kill.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Marin-A...ht_6693wt_1053
Old 02-14-14, 03:37 PM
jbenkert111
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deerfly
If you could go a little more than $500, the bike in the link below is a pretty good deal. Comes in other sizes too. It's a little above entry level but certainly not over kill.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Marin-A...ht_6693wt_1053
Along this same line of bikes, right now on ebay they have a Marin Pioneer Trail DISC 26er at a starting bid of $329. This bike is not a 29er and only comes with a Suntour fork. It retails for $599. I recently bid on one and got it for $329 plus $42 shipping and have been more then happy with it. I am also new to mtb and had no trouble putting it together. Also it says 19 inch size, but they will send you another size if you ask. I live near and ride at patapsco.
Old 02-14-14, 03:40 PM
aquateen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yeah the specs of your bike are pretty much the same as the 26er i have now. i just wanted to get an idea of what other people would do given those choices. i feel like if i went ss i've get a better value on wheels/frame/brakes and save on the other components
Old 02-14-14, 04:48 PM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah the specs of your bike are pretty much the same as the 26er i have now. i just wanted to get an idea of what other people would do given those choices. i feel like if i went ss i've get a better value on wheels/frame/brakes and save on the other components
Which bike are you referring to? The specs on the bike in the link I provided are better than what you described in your original post. Plus, it's a 29er, which is what you said you were looking for.
Old 02-14-14, 05:06 PM
aquateen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
sorry, i mixed up my components levels a bit i guess. thanks for the link.
Old 02-14-14, 05:28 PM
jbenkert111
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deerfly
Which bike are you referring to? The specs on the bike in the link I provided are better than what you described in your original post. Plus, it's a 29er, which is what you said you were looking for.

Deerfly, I think he was referring to my post about the Pioneer Trail.
Old 02-14-14, 06:42 PM
Millerad1651

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those Marins on eBay are a pretty decent deal. I think for less than $75 more you can get the next level they make. I was very close to picking one of them up when a local craigslist deal popped up for a FS Kona for $560. All of those Marin's have pretty good reviews.
Old 02-14-14, 08:26 PM
Glynn Sluder

Bikes: Specialized RH SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...330710988.html

https://frederick.craigslist.org/bik/4295970065.html

Couple decent bikes in your area.
Old 02-14-14, 09:23 PM
aquateen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not too many people like the single speed option?
Old 02-14-14, 10:03 PM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not too many people like the single speed option?
Like you I ride in fairly hilly areas and I personally would not consider a single speed. I like having the options.
Old 02-15-14, 06:43 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
You always have the option of putting a rigid fork on whatever used bike you can find. A used steel rigid fork can be found pretty cheap. I just bought one for my surly karate monkey for $60 shipped.

Lots of people around me here in Wv ride SS and I have no idea how in the hell they do it lol. I just bought a second bike the before mentioned used karate monkey for $400 setup geared and with an old suspension fork. I did have to put some new drive train bits on it but I'm pretty happy with it. I keep looking for something used. Hit local facebook groups, pinkbike, ebay and of coarse craigslist. Scored my monkey off a local bike group on facebook. Those Marins are a pretty good deal too.
Old 02-15-14, 08:22 AM
ncfisherman

Bikes: Canfield Yelli Screamy, Pivot Mach5, Specialized Roubaix, '65 Hercules, '79 Schwinn Stingray Lil Chic, '68 Schwinn Stingray Fastback, '89 Specialized Allez Epic, '86 Battaglin World Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SS 29er's are all over the place here. I rode one for a couple years and really enjoyed it. It's really not that hard getting used to pedaling one gear. One thing I would never go back to is a rigid fork though.
Old 02-15-14, 09:04 AM
aquateen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i used to ride a single speed cross bike and loved that
Old 02-15-14, 11:15 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For that low of a budget, I would stick with what you have and wait until you can afford an upgrade. Getting basically the same level of bike with the only difference being the size of wheels wouldn't do it for me. I I bought an old '97 Gary fisher Wahoo rigid and fixed it up and will ride it until I can spend enough to get a great bike. Are you having fun on the bike you have? If yes, keep it until you can really upgrade.
Old 02-15-14, 11:49 AM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SS mtb is a great bike to have in the quiver, but a very poor only mtb.

As a couple posters have alluded to, since the whole niner and 275 thing came on, people are practically giving away really, really nice 26 inch bikes. You can get a couple year old gently loved pro level dual suspension bike used for a bit over a grand on ebay. Less for a rigid bike with a fork.

The depreciation is sad really, but it is a major opportunity.

Save up for something like that.
Old 02-15-14, 12:00 PM
BenPS
will stop for donuts

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't go rigid or SS. Hardtail is okay, but I agree with there being a lot of cheap, nice, used 26ers out there. If you can't find anything local on CL, the pinkbike.com buy/sell has a lot of bikes
Old 02-15-14, 12:02 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mean, seriously. Here is a couple years old Santa Cruz Blur with full XT that has a buy it now of $1250.

This was 4k or more out the door and it's been up for awhile. Accepting offers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Santa-Cruz-B...item3cdc62a951
Old 02-15-14, 01:47 PM
aquateen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i guess i'm not crazy about having to keep suspension systems maintained especially since the technology seems to be progressing in that area fairly rapidly. also, i really want to work on my handling for cross season and going rigid would force me to get better faster.

i'm definitely going to keep riding my 26er for now but i feel like i would be a little more confident with a larger wheelbase with a lot of the stream crossings near me. also since i have a crappy suntour fork i'm soaking up a lot of the abuse.

thanks for all the ideas/comments

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.