Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike purchase tips for first time buyer?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 01:20 PM
malipsitz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking to purchase a bike for the first time and would love some advice about what bike to buy.

It will primarily be used for my 8 mile round-trip commute in Boston (i.e., mediocre roads) and some other similar distance rides. I'm interested in getting a single speed and would love a very light bike. I've preferred riding with bullhorn handlebars in the past, so that would be nice, as well.

My primary concern is speed. I don't really need racks or anything like that -- usually I'll just have a light backpack with me. My secondary concern is durability. I'm 5-9 and 155 lbs, so I'm not too worried about excessive weight on the bike, but I'd like it to last.

I'd like to keep it in the 3-digit price range, and ideally closer to $500-ish. I know I can go out and spend a ton but I don't think I'd appreciate what I'm getting quite yet.

I know very little about specific models and brands, so any specific recommendations would be very much appreciated!
Old 08-08-13, 01:35 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by malipsitz
I'm looking to purchase a bike for the first time and would love some advice about what bike to buy.

It will primarily be used for my 8 mile round-trip commute in Boston (i.e., mediocre roads) and some other similar distance rides. I'm interested in getting a single speed and would love a very light bike. I've preferred riding with bullhorn handlebars in the past, so that would be nice, as well.

My primary concern is speed. I don't really need racks or anything like that -- usually I'll just have a light backpack with me. My secondary concern is durability. I'm 5-9 and 155 lbs, so I'm not too worried about excessive weight on the bike, but I'd like it to last.

I'd like to keep it in the 3-digit price range, and ideally closer to $500-ish. I know I can go out and spend a ton but I don't think I'd appreciate what I'm getting quite yet.

I know very little about specific models and brands, so any specific recommendations would be very much appreciated!
Your light backpack will be great until it's not.

Buy a bike you like to look at, if you don't you won't ride it.

Don't judge a bike at the store buy it's saddle, you're going to replace it.

Don't buy a bike at the local bike megastore no matter the deal the people there are stupid (with a few exceptions)

Because you've never heard of the brand doesn't make them bad

You don't need a race bike of any sort no matter how "normal" they are.

If the salesperson could be your kid, leave.

No 700x23's are not OK to commute in (if clinchers)

Remember to save $100 of your budget for everything else i.e. the stuff that makes the ride comfortable

Yes you're commuter should have 28 or more spokes peer wheel, no this is not hip and no you're light weight doesn't compensate.

=========

If you don't feel like riding don't, if it becomes a burden you won't do it.

Find a peaceful way to work if you can, if not find the combative part of your personality.

You own the ******** road when it's necessary no matter what the drivers behind you think.

The shoulder in the winter is bad on many levels.
Old 08-08-13, 01:39 PM
malipsitz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To clarify, I've commuted via bike in the past. I've just never purchased a bike myself. The last one I rode consistently was borrowed. So, thanks for the advice, Germany_chris, but it's not really what I'm looking for. I'm looking for tips on which brands, models, etc fit my criteria.

Thanks everyone
Old 08-08-13, 02:03 PM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were you, I would spend some time shopping at the local shops. Wheelworks is my shop of choice in the greater Boston area, but International has its supporters, as does Back Bay. I heard about a new shop- very commuter oriented opening in Somerville recently,so maybe check them out as well. Don't worry about brand- anything in a real bike shop is going to be of good quality. It is ALL ABOUT FIT & FEEL. Ride everything they suggest, and everything that looks like it might be right. Ask questions- lots of questions, even if you think they are dumb questions. The right bike will tell you it is the right bike.
Old 08-08-13, 02:16 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
This one. $850. No rack or fender mounts. Sensible tires for commuting. Cheaper than Surly.

https://www.masibikes.com/bikes/compe...ale-cx-ss-2013
Old 08-08-13, 02:20 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have experience with bikes, I would suggest searching craigslist. It is likely you can find a really great deal if you spend the time. Just try out a lot of bikes until you find one that feels good and then negotiate. Brand does not matter. Though I would suggest avoiding carbon fiber, particularly if used or in the price range your specifying, for a commuting bike.
Old 08-08-13, 02:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If the only place you find a bike is on the internet , it will be hard to test ride it , before you even know if it fits you.
Old 08-08-13, 03:00 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
No rack or fender mounts.
That doesn't sound sensible for commuting.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-08-13, 03:03 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by dynaryder
That doesn't sound sensible for commuting.
OP says in his first post that he doesn't need them.
Old 08-08-13, 03:10 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're assuming he just doesn't know that he needs them yet.
Old 08-08-13, 03:16 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually,he said:
Originally Posted by malipsitz
I don't really need racks or anything like that -- usually I'll just have a light backpack with me.
He didn't mention fenders,and he prolly will eventually want them.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-08-13, 03:32 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by bkrownd
We're assuming he just doesn't know that he needs them yet.
Yeah maybe... but lots of folks (including me until a few years ago) are fine with being fair weather commuters. I assumed he knows what kind of riding he'll be doing.

When I went foul weather commuter as well... I bought another bike!

Anyway - sitz - a SS/FG cyclocross bike like the Masi I posted is a good choice. If the similar one you find at your LBS has fender eyelets, all the better. A Surly cross check SS is one but will be about $200 more.
Old 08-08-13, 04:20 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I just wanted to say that the absolute, #1 item for buying a new bike is buying the right **size** bike.

Components, brand, etc are all secondary. Even with brand it's only a difference between walmart/target brans and "real" bike brands. Basically if the retail price of your bike is $350 or more you're generally fine. I've had to replace a wheel on an $800 bike, but it's not like the whole thing broke down or anything.

P.S. Oh, and almost certainly if you commute for a while you will find it much easier to have a rack. You don't need panniers, but nearly everyone who commute finds that a rear rack bag is a lot better than a backpack. Rack mounts are so common as well, that I wouldn't buy anything without them.
Old 08-12-13, 01:27 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
don't get emotionally attached, don't rush it, always be prepared to walk, use multiple dealers, start out of town and work your way back to your own neighborhood, because as you learn you become less of a dork/ass. you don't want to embarrass yourself in your own town
Old 08-12-13, 01:38 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
TT X-Over

Attached Images
Old 08-12-13, 04:07 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott.htm
Old 08-14-13, 02:29 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah maybe... but lots of folks (including me until a few years ago) are fine with being fair weather commuters.
There's plenty of other stuff your wheels can throw up on you besides water.
Old 08-15-13, 07:18 AM
DrPangloss

Bikes: RANS Alterra, Jamis Coda, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Jamis Coda:

https://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applica...cat_grp=strt_2

but I'm not sure whether you prefer drop bars. If so, Jamis has steel road bikes like the Aurora, Quest and Satellite. One advantage of the Coda is the wide tire clearance, as well. I'm running 35s with fenders on, which means you can probably accommodate 38s on this bike.

Why steel bikes? I prefer them for their looks, and the plusher ride. Maybe the latter is just in my head, but I swear, I feel more comfortable on the Jamis than on my other bike with an Aluminum frame and Carbon fork, all things being sort of equal (tire pressure and load.) And I go over tons of tree roots and bad roads on my commute, also in the Boston area.

Why Jamis? I'm shallow and just prefer Jamis' paint job, color and design. The scroll pattern on the frame gives the bike a more classic look, in my eyes.

I hate second-guessing people on their preferences, but keep an open mind on the availability of fenders and rack mounts. I love racks because it's easier to get groceries and take-out when you have them. The take-out is indispensable for me during lunch time at work.

Anyway, enjoy the test rides!
Old 08-15-13, 07:56 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'm going to be a little non-PC but here's my two cents. Not specific brands but in general.

Malipsitz at 155 pounds any bike is going to be more durable than it would be for larger folks. You don't have to worry so much about wheels, or whether your tire is big enough, or that the crank's going to bend. Flex isn't the issue that it can be with 200+ pound guys and track sprinters. So you have more feasible choices. I would operate under the assumption that the frame (ie, "brand") isn't that big of a differentiator at that price range and select based on a minimum level of components. Which on a single speed would be the rear wheel and hub, brakes, headset and bottom bracket (I guess, I'm not into the single-speed scene). Something to think about, lower end single speeds can be heavier than you'd expect compared to stripping parts off a decent road bike. Shimano components are good, even at the low end.

I'll be non-pc about the fenders and rack also. They are convenient, but not necessary if you'd rather keep them off your fast road bike. I'm that way myself and it isn't a hardship.
Old 08-15-13, 09:34 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Go to the REI store and check out their closeouts. Some incredible deals to be had.
Old 08-15-13, 10:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
https://www.marketantique.com/cambridg.htm

go down to the basement