Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The Last Few Seconds Before You Got Hit?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The Last Few Seconds Before You Got Hit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 10:34 PM
Double0757

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for starting this thread Papa Tom! I'm always thinking about these things. Like Tls, I also hyper concentrate. There was one time I thought I was going to get hit bad. God had it where the car braked and missed me.

I was crossing a 4 lane intersection (2 lanes west and 2 east) going north to south. It's the only 1/10 mile of my 12.5 mile commute that I take the side walk and used to cross on the pedestrian walkway. The light for pedestrian crossing turn white, after checking my left for no cars, I proceeded to cross. The thing with this crosswalk, is that it's way recessed down the road, you could stack two cars from the curve to the crosswalk line. Cars comming from an interstate 65-75 mph to a 45mph road, and some turning right at the intersection, with a lot of curve to go fast on the turn.

So, as I take a second look for the second lane crossing, I see this jeep coming fast on the turn so fast he was opening to the outer lane, and thinking, stop and he hits me, go faster and he hits me anyway, so I brace for impact and went into a ball (more of an aero tuck) and close my eyes, I open my eyes to see his grill stoped as I my rear wheel clear the tip of his fender. That's the closest I ever come to been hit!

I thank God for his protection over me thru the years! I been bike riding in traffic since I was 13 years old (54 now). Have been in different countries, city and country ridding and I think I should have been hit by now, but my only explanation is that the Man upstairs have some plans for me that have not been fulfilled yet!

I now cross the intersection differently. I go with traffic and peel off on the opposite side to then cross on the crosswalk on the other side. Or if the traffic is stopped, I cross north to south, on the crosswalk, and later salmon the intersection on the other side, east to west at the shoulder. As orthodox as the latter sounds, I feel it's safe and quicker than waiting for the crosswalk sign on both side (north to south and east to west). Seen other riders do this latter one after I thought about it and executed it, giving the maneuver more validity.

Double O
Old 10-16-14, 07:32 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Great question, OP. I get hit at least twice a week, I've got it down to a science.

Sometimes, if I'm running late, I will make breakfast on the go. Something that I can eat while riding, like a burrito. Depending on how tasty it is, I'll try to sneak in one last bite before a car hits me. You never know, it could be the last bite I ever have!

This morning's burrito was especially tasty: egg, velveeta, ham cubes and a little mayo. Unfortunately, a rogue school bus driver crossed into the bike lane and scraped my left elbow on the way in to work this morning. Something took over, call it instinct, and so like a cheetah with opposable thumbs, fast as lightning I was able to switch the burrito to the other hand and finish every delicious bite.

Lesson here: make every burrito count, and keep your elbows tucked in.
Old 10-16-14, 07:37 AM
Lone

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I found myself on this big road that I never would ride on and I thought ‘I need to get off this,'" Leipheimer told Cyclingnews. "There was a sign saying 700 meters ahead there was a road to turn (to get off the road), and I was going to take it."

"I kinda actually visualized it happening (getting hit by the car) about 500 meters before it happened. It was really freaky. My first thought (after the accident) was, ‘Did I just do that to myself?' It was really traumatic."

Leipheimer recovers after getting hit by car | Cyclingnews.com
Old 10-16-14, 07:58 AM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done a lot of miles commuting and touring and, until 5 years ago had only ever injurd mysefl falling off the bike on ice (fractured ribs in 3 years out of 4!). I've been hit by two taxis and one bus in London (all from behind but all low speed) and got tapped by a Rover P6 when my pannier clip broke and my bag dropped into my rear wheel (again from behind).

My most serious injuries (rib, cheekbone, floor of my orbit and some abrasions) was a hit and run about 5 years ago. Most likely to have been a 4x4 by the injury locations (docs think the door mirror did my cheekbone). I was severely concussed and have no memory from about 10 mins before the incident till 20 mins after.

Still, all this talk of injuries - here is my funniest accident.

Picture it - me as a 17 y.o riding his 10 speed racer slowing down (so I didn't have to unclip my straps) toward a traffic stop. On the other side of the road I see a very attractive girl with killer legs wearing a RaRa skirt (flouncy mini skirt). I look at her...... she looks at me...she smiles......I smile..... she looks shocked..... I ride straight into the back of a milk float. (it being electric I hadn't heard it pull out) NOT COOL, but at least no major damage other than to my pride.

And no, she didn't come over to see if I was ok!!

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 10-16-14, 10:31 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
I think that near misses are what keep us on our toes...
In the words of the late great George Carlin: "Near misses? F U, those were Near Hits!"
Old 10-16-14, 11:01 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I focus so intently on the task at hand that stress, thoughts about problems, home, work, whatever have no maneuvering room in my head, and fall out of my ears along the road somewhere. It's why I feel so refreshed on arrival at my destination.
This. Always 100% focus, even on 4+ hour group rides while wheel sucking, which requires the highest priority focus.

Never been hit, but if it happens, I'm sure in my last seconds I will be thinking "OK, focus on your landing".
Old 10-16-14, 11:02 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrabyte
Great question, OP. I get hit at least twice a week, I've got it down to a science.

Sometimes, if I'm running late, I will make breakfast on the go. Something that I can eat while riding, like a burrito. Depending on how tasty it is, I'll try to sneak in one last bite before a car hits me. You never know, it could be the last bite I ever have!

This morning's burrito was especially tasty: egg, velveeta, ham cubes and a little mayo. Unfortunately, a rogue school bus driver crossed into the bike lane and scraped my left elbow on the way in to work this morning. Something took over, call it instinct, and so like a cheetah with opposable thumbs, fast as lightning I was able to switch the burrito to the other hand and finish every delicious bite.

Lesson here: make every burrito count, and keep your elbows tucked in.
Twice a week ? Joking right?
Old 10-16-14, 06:34 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Never been hit, but if it happens, I'm sure in my last seconds I will be thinking "OK, focus on your landing".
Yep, that's how it was for me. It was, "Okay, now tuck, roll and keep rolling."
Old 10-16-14, 06:51 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Twice a week ? Joking right?
The guy who posted that is always jabbing at me for some reason. It's probably my supercilious hand-on-the-chin avatar that turned him off a while back. I'd ignore it.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 10-16-14 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-17-14, 10:12 AM
Hendricks97

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, Salsa Ti Fargo, Kona Electric Ute

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This sunday, it will be 2 years since I was hit by a driver on my way to work. 6:30 in the morning (still dark) with 3 blinking red lights on my helmet/bag/bike and the driver was too busy looking at his phone right up to the point when I totaled his car. He didnt see me at all until he hit me so I had no brake sounds, or any warning whatsoever. Luckily, I dont wear a mirror so I didnt get a chance to tense up and cause more damage. I vaguely remember something happening that made me think I had gotten hit, then the next thing I know, I was on the ground face down and realizing that I didnt have any shoes on. I shattered 1 vertebrae, fractured another, broke 4 ribs, and had a blood clot from my hip to my knee.
Old 10-17-14, 10:38 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
The guy who posted that is always jabbing at me for some reason. It's probably my supercilious hand-on-the-chin avatar that turned him off a while back. I'd ignore it.
Don't be silly. The way I see it, we have something in common. We both like to create dramatic fantasy situations and discuss them on BF.
Old 10-17-14, 10:46 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Hendricks97
This sunday, it will be 2 years since I was hit by a driver on my way to work. 6:30 in the morning (still dark) with 3 blinking red lights on my helmet/bag/bike and the driver was too busy looking at his phone right up to the point when I totaled his car. He didnt see me at all until he hit me so I had no brake sounds, or any warning whatsoever. Luckily, I dont wear a mirror so I didnt get a chance to tense up and cause more damage. I vaguely remember something happening that made me think I had gotten hit, then the next thing I know, I was on the ground face down and realizing that I didnt have any shoes on. I shattered 1 vertebrae, fractured another, broke 4 ribs, and had a blood clot from my hip to my knee.
I can’t say “FYA,” but I previously posted on this thread about my similar situation, about two and a half years ago.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I was riding at about 9 PM on a wide, well-lit, low volume residential suburban street with no parked cars, wearing two rear view blinkies, and right and left rear view mirrors when I got hit from behind. It was so serene that I don’t remember what I was thnking.

I do have this memory, not of the immediate impact, and perhaps not even real, of my feet coming out of my clipped-on cycling shoes. Nothing then until vague memories of the hubbub at the scene. I now scan my rear more frequently than before.

IMO, rear view mirrors are the best way to bolster your confidnce on the road.
The immediately preceding circumstances were so comfortable that I had not been scanning rearward to see it coming. That view may well have dissuaded me from further cycling, whereas I now strive to ride more eagerly than before.
Old 12-17-14, 01:27 PM
tbo

Bikes: 2018 Trek FX7.3

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Last few seconds? I have no idea whatsoever. Last thing I remember is telling DW (Dear Wife) that I was leaving and the next I was in the ER waiting for CT tech. Big concussion.

According to DW, I called her 3 times to come pick me up because I had a crash with a car and please bring the bike rack. The same conversation, with absolutely no memory of any of the previous calls. When she got there, she informs me that I even told her the preferred local hospital for head injuries and how to get there. I remember none of this.

BTW, I was wearing a new helmet and it barely had a scratch on it. They may be good for fractures and stuff, but lousy for concussions. Replaced it like a good boy after the crash.
Old 12-17-14, 02:00 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've ridden more than 100,000 miles since the year 2000, and many more miles before I started tracking them. I've never been hit by a car or truck although I've had a couple of spills when my bike slid out on corners. I'm either very lucky or I'm doing something right. I like to think that it's not just luck. I try to be very alert and defensive when riding, and have avoided many accidents by being vigilant. I also wear brightly colored jerseys/jackets/vests and use front and rear lights when its dark or dim outside.

I have observed that most of the cycling fatalities that you hear about in the news involve people who do not appear to be very safety conscious. They are often riding in the dark with no lights and dark clothing. They usually aren't wearing helmets. Etc, etc.
Old 12-17-14, 02:17 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Knock wood, no car bike collisions in 6 years of steady commuting. 1 off the bike, rider error issue, small scrape. I really rely on my situational awareness, lots of great cross over skills from mt biking. Also like my side view mirror as well. I find a helmet light at night a great way to get a drivers attention, nuff said.
Old 02-01-15, 01:51 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
So what was different for you, in your head, in your physical state, or in the function of your bike in the few minutes/seconds leading up to that awful moment when your luck ran out and you found yourself sprawled out on the street? Did you make a mistake, maybe lose your concentration, or was it just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time?
The only time I tangled with a car was my own fault for being young and ignorant and riding willy-nilly like a kid. I passed a line of cars stopped for a left turner on the right. When the first car turned left, the next car immediately turned right, into me. I watched the gap between the fender and the granite curb close too fast to react, and flipped over the hood doing a shoulder-roll into the middle of the intersection. So...never pass on the right!
Old 02-01-15, 06:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Been Lucky & moved to a smallerTown .. was at a Crosswalk just east of the roundabout 1 car stopped , the 2nd one was coming too fast for the conditions ,(wet)
rear ended the 1st .. I left them to the Insurance info Exchange amongst themselves , and continued across ..

[Knock wood ]
Old 02-02-15, 08:09 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tbo
BTW, I was wearing a new helmet and it barely had a scratch on it. They may be good for fractures and stuff, but lousy for concussions. Replaced it like a good boy after the crash.
FWIW, CPSC rated helmets have almost no concussion protection given what we now know about what causes concussions. You want a MIPS helmet for that, they take into account research into brain injury done since the CPSC standard was set into stone and never altered since. After learning about this stuff, I bought a POC Trabec Race MIPS helmet. I got it on sale for about $150 I think. Normally a bit over $200.
Old 02-05-15, 12:37 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Two things:

Vectors: Remember computing vectors in high school math?
This is conservation of energy and momentum.
Old 02-05-15, 01:57 PM
randallovelace

Bikes: Huffy Rockcreek (dual suspension)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been cycling on and off for the better part of 30 years. I've only been hit two times. The first time I was in a left turn lane at speed (as green arrow was lit), car hit me from rear, catapulted me off the bicycle, I landed on my back and slid well into the intersection. I had very little skin left on my back, bicycle was totalled, no damage to the car. The second time I was riding in a bike lane and a car right turned in front of me, I ended with a badly bruised left arm (minor wobble to front tire), they ended with no back passenger door glass. Neither time did I hear the car, and I did not have any type of mirror. I don't think the mirror would have helped in the first, but may have been helpful for the second one.

Neither time did I get angry at the driver, bicycles are hard to see (both happened in daytime hours), we are the smallest thing on the road.
Old 02-05-15, 02:11 PM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you mind a motorcyclists perspective?

I was riding, with my wife on the back, down one of our favorite curvy two lanes. Heading to lunch but taking the 'long way'. Came around a corner and did everything "right". I saw a vehicle stopped at a driveway, I hovered over my front brake, eased off the throttle a bit. Everything they teach you to do in anticipating that this driver doesn't see you, and pulled out in front of you. He's on the left side of the road. As we're coming down, he pulls out; but not left, he turns right. And completely overshoots his lane, and is suddenly facing us head on. No shoulder, I rode the white line, he panicked and stopped, we clipped him. I'd like to say my great handling skills came into play but it was probably a little luck, faith and instinct. I kept the bike up. We came to a complete stop. Looked back and saw my damaged saddlebags and saw this guy speeding off. So in those seconds I'm not sure what was happening. Actually, I thought I was going to crash. Of course, this was at 55-60mph (I did brake, hard, and probably made 'impact' at 15mph though). I absolutely had no thought of "How do I not crash", my thoughts were "How do I survive this crash". I wear protective gear (jacket and pants and gloves made of abrasion resistant material with armor, and a full face helmet. Unusual on a cruiser; but hey. I like my skin.) So I distinctly remember glancing over at the side of the road and trying to pick a spot to land. Which; was the wrong thing to do (You go where you look). But even so, THAT'S what was going through my head. Where can I direct (as if I had any control) my soon to be flung body in order to avoid serious injury. Thankfully, we came out without a scratch. And when the highway patrol tracked this yahoo down, they arrested him and charged him. And he made a deal (he had no insurance, AND no drivers license); that if he paid me CASH to cover the damage to the bike, they'd drop the hit and run charge and just get him for causing a motor vehicle accident, improper lane usage, and careless and imprudent driving; along with driving without insurance and driving without a license. (But it essentially took prison time off of the table.) He took the deal, I fixed the bike, all was well with the world.
Old 02-05-15, 02:40 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Warning, I use R-rated language in this clip (turn off the sound if that will offend you):

That is the closest I've been to a collision in the last 20 years, I am a defensive driver/rider. But it's things like this clip that remind me to trust nothing on the roads: it's day light, I have my bike lights on, I'm in the traffic lane - I should be EASY to see. But she makes that left turn into my path.

What was going through my head? Don't over-brake and go OTB (my rear wheel was lifting) and make noise (you can hear that). I'm not certain, but I think my big voice helped wake up the driver and got her to stop. If she did not stop where she did, I'd have plowed in the side of the car.
Old 02-05-15, 02:51 PM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You caught that quick! You were definitely paying attention. I've seen lots of videos like that on YouTube. No reaction, or a far too delayed reaction. I think you reacted immediately and correctly. Kudos!
Old 02-05-15, 02:52 PM
randallovelace

Bikes: Huffy Rockcreek (dual suspension)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a sports whistle for that - I found they notice it a lot more than my yelling.
Old 02-05-15, 02:58 PM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by randallovelace
I have a sports whistle for that - I found they notice it a lot more than my yelling.
Maybe we all need these:

I know, though, that loud horns have 'backfired' in some motorcycle circumstances. In essence, had they done nothing but brake, the vehicle probably would've cleared their path in time. But they hit the horn, the vehicle stopped dead in the road (A natural reaction to a distracted driver) and then they plow into the stopped car.
Attached Images

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.