Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Steel is Real

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 11:22 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Steel is Real

We just had a long bitter argument about how unsafe carbon fiber bikes are.

I have since talked to an industry insider and he told me that carbon fiber frames can be make as strong and long lasting as steel frames. But, he said, then these frames would weigh about the same as steel frames. And the demand is for ultra-lights. He thinks that eventually the majority of companies will be sued out of business because the industry knows that these ultra-lights are dangerous to the point of serious injuries or even death. He thinks that it is only a matter of time before we start getting a large number of failures.

In any case, be that as it may, I have a Colnago Dream HP. This has an aluminum main triangle, a carbon fork and the rear triangle is stolen directly from the C50. Ready for the road with a seatpack on it it weights in at 22.4 lbs.

I am in the process of building up a very good steel frame. I transferred all of the parts from my broken C40 to it. Presently the only thing I'm missing is the control cables, bar tape and seatpack. I put it on the scale yesterday and it weighs 22.11 lbs. And it has heavy Campy Atlanta wheels on it.

Now the C40 was two lbs lighter but you have to remember that I had a non-catastrophic failure of a fork that caused me to crash at high speed. And my friend had a catastrophic failure of his C40 for no reason at all luckily while he was on a bike path going about 5 mph. He got away with a severely broken small finger that will never regain full motion. And in 15 more minutes he would have been on a 40 mph descent.

For those that absolutely MUST have ultra-lights you can now buy top of the line titanium frames for half the price of the top of the line carbon frames. There is still the problem of the carbon forks but at that price savings you can replace the fork every two years and feel perfectly safe.

So there really is no reason to take chances with your life on a full carbon bike.

The problem is that people invest a lot of confidence in their own judgement and tend to pay no attention whatsoever to facts and statistics. So I don't expect many if any to pay any attention to this post.
Old 08-17-16, 11:29 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Everything is real, man. Like, even unreal things are real. It's trippy.
Old 08-17-16, 11:32 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Not this poor, tired, cloth-eared, moth-eaten pantomime dead horse again, surely?

Make ... It ... Stop.
Likes For badger1:
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,535 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag

Whoa! You just blew my mind, dude.

Have a feeling one bucket won't be enough.

rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'm too fredly to consider anything other than steel...
Old 08-17-16, 11:34 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by badger1
Not this poor, tired, cloth-eared, moth-eaten pantomime dead horse again, surely?

Make ... It ... Stop.

Heh. Yeah. These thread usually aren't even mildly entertaining. For entertainment, check out the thread about Fred trying to drop some guy on an MUP.
Old 08-17-16, 11:35 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by cyclintom

I have since talked to an industry insider and he told me that carbon fiber frames can be make as strong and long lasting as steel frames. But, he said, then these frames would weigh about the same as steel frames. And the demand is for ultra-lights. He thinks that eventually the majority of companies will be sued out of business because the industry knows that these ultra-lights are dangerous to the point of serious injuries or even death. He thinks that it is only a matter of time before we start getting a large number of failures.

In any case, be that as it may, I have a Colnago Dream HP. This has an aluminum main triangle, a carbon fork and the rear triangle is stolen directly from the C50. Ready for the road with a seatpack on it it weights in at 22.4 lbs.

I am in the process of building up a very good steel frame. I transferred all of the parts from my broken C40 to it. Presently the only thing I'm missing is the control cables, bar tape and seatpack. I put it on the scale yesterday and it weighs 22.11 lbs. And it has heavy Campy Atlanta wheels on it.

Now the C40 was two lbs lighter but you have to remember that I had a non-catastrophic failure of a fork that caused me to crash at high speed. And my friend had a catastrophic failure of his C40 for no reason at all luckily while he was on a bike path going about 5 mph. He got away with a severely broken small finger that will never regain full motion. And in 15 more minutes he would have been on a 40 mph descent.

For those that absolutely MUST have ultra-lights you can now buy top of the line titanium frames for half the price of the top of the line carbon frames. There is still the problem of the carbon forks but at that price savings you can replace the fork every two years and feel perfectly safe.

So there really is no reason to take chances with your life on a full carbon bike.

The problem is that people invest a lot of confidence in their own judgement and tend to pay no attention whatsoever to facts and statistics. So I don't expect many if any to pay any attention to this post.
... but it's fun to play! So, re. in bold above: incorrect. The reason most of us won't pay any (further, in my case) attention to your post, as was the case with your previous thread, is that it is a pile of nonsense.

That is all.
Likes For badger1:
Old 08-17-16, 11:38 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
He thinks that it is only a matter of time before we start getting a large number of failures.
As long as there's somebody in the world who thinks that, it must be true. We'll call it the bikepocalypse.
Old 08-17-16, 11:39 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Heh. Yeah. These thread usually aren't even mildly entertaining. For entertainment, check out the thread about Fred trying to drop some guy on an MUP.
Oh I have; I've even proffered you congratulations! A classic in terms both of its entertainment value and your serious point -- the two are not at all unrelated.
Old 08-17-16, 11:39 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Wait a minute, I just talked to a schizophrenic who says steel bikes are going to turn against their owners one day, it's only a matter of time before millions of people are murdered. We just agreed that any crazy thing a person believes is true so that rules out carbon and steel bikes. Guess we all need bamboo, huh?
Old 08-17-16, 11:41 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
...carbon fiber frames can be make as strong and long lasting as steel frames. But, he said, then these frames would weigh about the same as steel frames. ....

plastic resin - no it cannot be made to last as long as steel (in a landfill yes, but not in a mechanical application)
Old 08-17-16, 11:45 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
Or maybe Elon Musk is right.... and all of this is only a simulation. After all hasn't it been determined that neutrons are all merely swirling energy vortexes.... with no actual mass.

Ultra-light is always barely stable enough to be useful.... it doesn't matter whether it is steel or plastic.
Old 08-17-16, 12:00 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Wait a minute, I just talked to a schizophrenic who says steel bikes are going to turn against their owners one day, it's only a matter of time before millions of people are murdered.

I talked to him after you did. He's already changed his mind.
Old 08-17-16, 12:06 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts

I have since talked to an industry insider....
Ah! The same 'industry insider' whose words you misrepresented to make the same point two weeks ago?
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1073471-danger-carbon-fiber-bikes.html

Give up. You are a liar and a loser.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 08-17-16, 12:16 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger1
Oh I have; I've even proffered you congratulations! A classic in terms both of its entertainment value and your serious point -- the two are not at all unrelated.
Didn't you just say you weren't going to pay any further attention to this string? That it was all a bunch of nunsense since it offered real statistics?

Or is your attention span so short you don't even remember saying that you weren't going to post any longer?
Old 08-17-16, 12:16 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
The fact that you still are caring about the weight of your bike down to the hundredth of a pound and justifying the difference in three tenths of a pound between two metal bikes shows exactly why CF bikes and ultralightness in general is very much here to stay.

All my bikes are steel. One is around 24-25#, one is in the 30# range, the other two are 33-34#ish. I arguably have more fun on the 34#ish pound Schwinn than I do on the 24 and some change pound Peugeot. So really, you don't even have to risk your life on lightweight steel bikes, just go for the all out, fully lugged, hi-ten steel beasts. I ran mine into a chainlink fence the other day. Stuck the front wheel between my legs, manhandled the handlebars back into roughly the right place (been on two rides since, they aren't straight, but I keep forgetting/can't be bothered to fix it), and continued on. Couldn't do that with a lightweight wheel set!
Old 08-17-16, 12:28 PM
PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In on p1
Old 08-17-16, 12:33 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Still on page one and already off the tracks. Closing this before it goes any further.