Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 09-10-16, 02:23 AM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
Great innovation, you don't have a problem forgetting when you are clipped in as apposed to just on the basic pedal? Do have have completely different ride styles for each? One for beating up hills and racing around, one for leasurely peddling the lakeside?

I imagine it would be great training aid for those wanting to ease into clipless.
I use the bike 90%for fitness training with shimano mtb shoes, and wear normal shoes when cycling in town. It took me 1/2 day to get used to it.
Old 09-10-16, 03:35 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lt Stonez
I use the bike 90%for fitness training with shimano mtb shoes, and wear normal shoes when cycling in town. It took me 1/2 day to get used to it.

Perfect!
Old 09-10-16, 07:52 AM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
I replaced the pedals on my new Sirrus Comp carbon with a similar pedal from Shimano, they're called trekking pedals, PD-T780 XT's. They're black, double sided with flat one side and SPD on the other, they were very easy to get used to. I think going this way is the perfect solution for providing the flexibility of what footwear you can use while riding.
Old 09-11-16, 02:06 PM
funbikerchick

Bikes: Liv Avail Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After a little ove a year on a 2016 Sirrus Sport Disc, I bought a 2017 Sirrus Sport Carbon Disc. I would post a picture but it looks like I cant just upload it directly and too lazy to use a picture hosting site.

Edit. I just remembered that I can actually upload pics directly from my computer so here she is...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike.jpg (68.8 KB, 734 views)

Last edited by funbikerchick; 09-13-16 at 06:15 PM.
Likes For funbikerchick:
Old 09-11-16, 02:09 PM
funbikerchick

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prtyich
Good choice, I've put about 800 miles on mine and it provides a great ride.
Really glad to hear that. Haven't had a chance to ride it more than around the parking lot. One thing, it turns out the bike comes with the binder post rack connection points so.I didn't need to order a different one.
Old 09-11-16, 03:00 PM
Jaxjag
Very Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by funbikerchick
After a little ove a year on a 2016 Sirrus Sport Disc, I bought a 2017 Sirrus Sport Carbon Disc. I would post a picture but it looks like I cant just upload it directly and too lazy to use a picture hosting site.
I get mine fitted and pick it up tomorrow. Very excited.
Old 09-13-16, 01:24 PM
qtran414

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sirrus Aluminum vs Carbon Weight Savings/Benefits?

I have been riding an old heavy mountain bike to work from the mid 90s and looking to buy a hybrid. My LBS has both the 2016 Sirrus Elite Disk on sale for $850 and 2016 Sirrus Elite Carbon for $1200. I am relatively new and wanted to get opinions on do you think its worth the extra money to spring for the Carbon. How much weight does the switch actually net you, what does that typically mean in terms of increased speed, and are there any other benefits to carbon over Aluminum?

I plan to ride this thing to work and on weekend, but have not plans to train for races or do any endurance races or anything. I'm pretty new at this so any info would be great.
Old 09-13-16, 04:10 PM
prtyich

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon, Dahon Vitesse P18

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qtran414
I have been riding an old heavy mountain bike to work from the mid 90s and looking to buy a hybrid. My LBS has both the 2016 Sirrus Elite Disk on sale for $850 and 2016 Sirrus Elite Carbon for $1200. I am relatively new and wanted to get opinions on do you think its worth the extra money to spring for the Carbon. How much weight does the switch actually net you, what does that typically mean in terms of increased speed, and are there any other benefits to carbon over Aluminum?

I plan to ride this thing to work and on weekend, but have not plans to train for races or do any endurance races or anything. I'm pretty new at this so any info would be great.
Grab the Elite carbon for $1,200 right away, its a great bike (close cousin of my sport carbon). I rode Dahon folders for the last 12 years and the Sirrus is a rocket compared to them as it is probably about 8-10 lbs lighter. The first few weeks I actually had some problems controlling the bike in tight spots / going down steep hills as it is so much faster than what I had been using.

The carbon frame also makes a big difference in absorbing road shocks, which is a big deal for me living in a large city with horrendous roads. Spend the extra $$ and get the Elite carbon, you will be happy you did.
Old 09-13-16, 06:34 PM
funbikerchick

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I don't do any competition either. I first bought a Sirrus Sport Disc for $650 in July 2015. I thought that was a lot of money and didn't want to spend more on a bike in case I didn't ride it a lot. Well, I just picked up a 2017 Sirrus Sport Carbon Disc for $1220. So, if you are sure you will truly ride a lot, get the Sirrus Comp Carbon for $1200. That is a good price and you will love it. Definitely worth the extra cash for the carbon fiber frame in my opinion.
Old 09-14-16, 05:12 AM
Clamms

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say buy the elite disc for $850. It will be such a major upgrade from your 90's bike that you'll be 100% thrilled with it. Once you load up the bike for your day at work, saving a few pounds on the frame won't really mean all that much. Then you can use the extra $350 you saved to buy all the accessories you're gonna need - front and back lights, fenders, a rack and trunk bag/panniers, a good lock, stuff to repair a flat tire, helmet, etc (this stuff really adds up). But really just get whichever bike you like best, you'll be so happy either way.

Last edited by Clamms; 09-14-16 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-14-16, 06:48 AM
TMassimo

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon '16

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I haven't been reading much into it, but seems that carbon frames are a controversial topic. Some people say that they're not safe, but others argue that they're as safe, maybe safer, as other frames. In fairness, most pro racers use carbon frames, and it's hard to find a medium-quality bike without at least a carbon fork. But my LSB advised me not to put a lock mount on the frame because it might put too much pressure on the frame. So should you worry?

Carbon Fiber Warning

Personally, I'd choose the Sirrus with the carbon frame. However, if I had to choose between a bike with carbon frame and one with better components I'd choose the latter. I find the extra gears make for a more enjoyable ride.

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bik...6-e60ec9e61579

Last edited by TMassimo; 09-14-16 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-14-16, 11:53 AM
TMassimo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't mean to go off topic and turn this thread into a debate about carbon frames, but since I mentioned it I just wanna say this...

Well, I've just returned from my LBS. I took the bike this morning to the LBS for the free checkup (they offer a free check-up within 4 weeks after purchase). So I asked to one of the guy there who seems to be quite knowledgeable about bikes about the strength of carbon frame and my safety. Should I be concerned about my safety? His answer was a confident no. The technology of CF since they were first used has improved a lot. Nowadays they're pretty much as strong as aluminium. It's not just pro road racers that use CF, but they're used everywhere (MB race, DH race, and other extreme races). Also, it doesn't seem to make sense that a bike company would produce bikes that are unsafe to ride.

I feel much relieved now

carry on...
Old 09-14-16, 02:18 PM
Jaxjag
Very Old Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by funbikerchick

Edit. I just remembered that I can actually upload pics directly from my computer so here she is...
Thanks for posting that! Now I don't need to. That is my new ride except none of the extra goodies.
Old 09-14-16, 02:25 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MHO, the whole carbon frame safety fuss is much ado about nothing. Any product can have sudden catastrophic failure due to unseen design or manufacturing defects that pass the quality control process. To extrapolate from the few that fail to the "all carbon frames are a deathtrap" is really an intellectual fallacy.

I just bought my last ... really ... bike. I now have 13 bikes, road, mt, fat mt, hybrid, tri, folder. The last 6 of those have been carbon frames.

Fear of being seriously hurt or killed by a catastrophic failure of a bicycle component is so far down on my list of worries that ... it's not there. My fear of being killed by a motorist is much, much higher on the list -- and it's pretty non-existant too.

Yeah, we all have fears - bikes, no. Ask me to climb more than 3 rungs on a ladder and I'm outta there, been terrified of heights since birth.
Old 09-14-16, 04:18 PM
funbikerchick

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaxjag
Thanks for posting that! Now I don't need to. That is my new ride except none of the extra goodies.
My grandson makes gun of me for the extra weight of the rack, bag and contents. I don't pack light. lol
Old 09-14-16, 04:23 PM
Jaxjag
Very Old Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't pack that light either. Unfortunately, its all me.
Old 09-14-16, 08:39 PM
prtyich

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon, Dahon Vitesse P18

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jaxjag
I don't pack that light either. Unfortunately, its all me.
Who said the two of you could copy me and buy MY bike? I had it first, you know...

If I see either of you I will take a pic of both of us standing next to our bikes and send it into Specialized; maybe they'll send us water bottles or something for being such good customers.
Old 09-15-16, 04:54 AM
Jaxjag
Very Old Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
Old 09-18-16, 06:41 PM
qtran414

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sirrus Elite Disk!

Thanks for the opinions guys. I rode the Elite Disk and the Elite Carbon back to back and felt the carbon a hair snappier, but could've been placebo. Then had the guys at the shop throw both on the scale and turns out the Elite Disk is 24.5 pounds vs 24 pounds on th Carbon. Only half a pound so saved the 300 bucks and am ecstatic!
Old 09-19-16, 09:34 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Good choice - you will love it!
Old 09-19-16, 03:03 PM
n0thing

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the opinions guys. I rode the Elite Disk and the Elite Carbon back to back and felt the carbon a hair snappier, but could've been placebo. Then had the guys at the shop throw both on the scale and turns out the Elite Disk is 24.5 pounds vs 24 pounds on th Carbon. Only half a pound so saved the 300 bucks and am ecstatic!
That's astounding that there's such a little difference. What size frame was that? I weighed my Sirrus Comp Disc (size medium) at just under 24lbs on my scale at home.

Congrats on the bike!
Old 09-19-16, 09:35 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Congrats! Post some pics, I'm on a '16 non-disc Elite myself and absolutely love it.
Old 09-20-16, 10:05 AM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
...have to chime in here with my own observations after experiencing my Sirrus Comp carbon for almost two months. The reason you get a carbon framed bike isn't just because it's lighter. After having several aluminum framed bikes over the last number of years and then taking out the Comp carbon for a good test ride I can honestly say that I was amazed at the different characteristics between carbon and aluminum - how smooth the ride was, how precise the handling felt. I was all set to get the aluminum version but the carbon was on year end clear out and they said I should give it a test ride. Have to say that I really appreciate their suggestion now. I've now been on many long rides on the new carbon bike and I'm free of any discomfort, particularly in my hands, fore arms and wrists. And even the age old sore bum issues that plague so many of us haven't been an issue. Reading about the characteristics of carbon indicated that they reduce a lot of vibration and "road buzz", so maybe those things were irritating those physical areas, that and the fact the geometry of the carbon Sirrus just fits my body so much better than what I was previously riding...
I now look forward to every chance I can get to take this amazing bike out for a ride...!!
Old 09-20-16, 01:00 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by n0thing
That's astounding that there's such a little difference. What size frame was that? I weighed my Sirrus Comp Disc (size medium) at just under 24lbs on my scale at home.

Congrats on the bike!
I don't know the actual numbers, but the carbon frame/fork itself was maybe 1.0-1.5 pounds lighter vs Al frame/Al fork. However the other components for the baseline carbon frame Sirrus are "lower" down the pecking order, and no doubt heavier, therefore eating some of the weight savings with a carbon frame. When I switched by Allex from Claris groupset to 105 groupset along with 11 speed Shimano wheels, the bike lost about 1.5 pounds from those two changes.
Old 09-20-16, 04:24 PM
TMassimo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trainchaser
...have to chime in here with my own observations after experiencing my Sirrus Comp carbon for almost two months. The reason you get a carbon framed bike isn't just because it's lighter. After having several aluminum framed bikes over the last number of years and then taking out the Comp carbon for a good test ride I can honestly say that I was amazed at the different characteristics between carbon and aluminum - how smooth the ride was, how precise the handling felt. I was all set to get the aluminum version but the carbon was on year end clear out and they said I should give it a test ride. Have to say that I really appreciate their suggestion now. I've now been on many long rides on the new carbon bike and I'm free of any discomfort, particularly in my hands, fore arms and wrists. And even the age old sore bum issues that plague so many of us haven't been an issue. Reading about the characteristics of carbon indicated that they reduce a lot of vibration and "road buzz", so maybe those things were irritating those physical areas, that and the fact the geometry of the carbon Sirrus just fits my body so much better than what I was previously riding...
I now look forward to every chance I can get to take this amazing bike out for a ride...!!
I entirely agree. CF does indeed make for a smoother, more comfortable and generally pleasing riding experience.

me
I this bike! It's the equivalent of driving a Porche - it just feels quality - and is fast! I see all these puny riders lol on their Walmart's hybrids pedalling like gerbils and me just woosh effortlessly overtaking them. Awesome!

Last edited by TMassimo; 09-22-16 at 02:33 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.