Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Force cars to give you 3 ft of clearance and ride with a pool noodle

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Force cars to give you 3 ft of clearance and ride with a pool noodle

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-16, 02:41 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
such an interesting discussion. and i like the photos and the jokes too.

i don't normally get to ride with cars on car-dominated roads, but when i do, it is horribly frightening when someone in a car passes by way too close at high speeds vs, someone who slows down. also if someone gives me tons of clearance takes over the lane going in the opposite direction. i think if you as a motorist want to continue your high speed, be sure to give tons of clearance - like go into the opposite direction lane. if you want to pass at a much slower speed (like my speed) i am fine with that, as long as there is 3 ft of clearance.
Old 10-21-16, 02:53 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I have zero need for nonsense such as this. I experience barely a handful of cars passing me with less than 3 feet of clearance in an entire YEAR of cycling 3,500+ miles. 99.999% of motorists change lanes to pass me.
Not nonsense if you ride in heavy traffic, and traffic moves pretty briskly. Maybe you don't commute in such an area. Neither do I, but I've ridden the roads that dude uses and I can understand why he does it. Not saying I'd do it myself.
Old 10-21-16, 04:26 PM
FullGas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I have zero need for nonsense such as this. I experience barely a handful of cars passing me with less than 3 feet of clearance in an entire YEAR of cycling 3,500+ miles. 99.999% of motorists change lanes to pass me.
I wouldn't use the stupid noodle idea either, but your situation seems to be somewhat atypical...

I just rode a 23-mile route (half of which had a dedicated bike lane) and I still got passed with less than 3' clearance by at least 5-6 vehicles.
Old 10-21-16, 04:44 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I get passed too close nearly everyday. I generally give a crazy weave into the middle of the road when traffic is coming up behind me. Scares them into a really wide berth. If I were less of an a-hole I would consider the noodle.
Old 10-21-16, 04:45 PM
keg61
short WIDE Clyde

Bikes: 2014 Nashbar flatbar roadbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I don't know... I manage not to get hit without strapping a 3' long pool noodle to my bikes. So do lots and lots of other cyclists. There are people who strap 6,000lb SUV's to their bodies and it doesn't prevent them from being hit. Hard. This fact informs my opinion that it isn't really what you adorn yourself or your bicycle with that keeps you from getting hurt out there. The fact is that the majority of drivers do not want to hurt a cyclist and this is mainly what keeps us safe. That paranoid cyclist has (obviously) never been killed previously by a distracted or malicious driver and there is no evidence that he would ever encounter one, with or without, his innovation. In Canada his odds are probably still quite low of a future incident, but America is a very different beast. Depending on a lot of different factors I could see a cyclists chances of being seriously hurt or killed actually increase due to American drivers far lower tolerance for provocative actions by others. Yes, provocative about sums it up.

Old 10-21-16, 05:56 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
If I'm passing him (on a bike) I'm going to be seriously annoyed about having to go way out into traffic to pass a bike.
Old 10-21-16, 06:16 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go take anger management counseling.

Well, the convoluted wordiness sure wore off quickly.
Old 10-23-16, 01:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I mounted a giant key to my bike's rear rack.

At least the new cars give me plenty of room.
Old 10-23-16, 05:50 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I think things like this might be effective if so many drivers didn't have an innate dislike for cyclists. As others have said, this just gives motorists a license to screw around with the guy on the bike.

The problem I have in my town is not cars passing too close, but passing way too far -- literally veering into oncoming traffic in the opposite lane to provide me with the 30 feet of space they think I need. I have tried everything to demonstrate that I do not need that much space, and I am constantly trying to direct traffic from my saddle, but they still do what they think is necessary.

I feel like, with all my years of experience and all my bike-handling skills, I'm going to cause a head-on collision some day!
Old 10-23-16, 06:26 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Michigan is moving to 5' requirement.

The Senate Voted, But the Fight is Not Over
Old 10-23-16, 06:53 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I think things like this might be effective if so many drivers didn't have an innate dislike for cyclists. As others have said, this just gives motorists a license to screw around with the guy on the bike.
I would concur with this as well. The story was just posted on the Weather Network and some of the comments, not just ones about noodle dude, but in general about cyclists, are just way out there.

Here are some snippets:

And as much as one can admire the attempt at ingenuity. Consider that if the bicycle maintained a steady course centimeters from the edge of the Road and used one meter to the left,all would be better.. However In reality all bike riders use a meter. Plus the meter he added ? he is now using more of the lane than he pays for. Make the cyclist pay $500 a year license plus required insurance etc.. and I wont mind as much going 15 km an hour in a 50++km zone.

Far more legislation is required for cyclists, too many of them make up their own rules.. I have no respect for the cyclist that presumes he/she can make a left turn from the left turn lane, as far as I know the space provided for cyclists is next to the right hand curb.

In our city, roads are too narrow, cyclists ride there own rules, riding on designated highways with little or no shoulder and time 2 abreast, wearing dark clothing before sunrise/after sunset......and commenting on Harry's post, when cyclists start paying for insurance and yearly validation stickers by all means....share the road!

This is the kind of attitude and general ignorance we're dealing with folks!
Old 10-23-16, 07:11 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
The problem I have in my town is not cars passing too close, but passing way too far -- literally veering into oncoming traffic in the opposite lane to provide me with the 30 feet of space they think I need. I have tried everything to demonstrate that I do not need that much space, and I am constantly trying to direct traffic from my saddle, but they still do what they think is necessary.

I feel like, with all my years of experience and all my bike-handling skills, I'm going to cause a head-on collision some day!
I have the same problem. I've been riding FRAP, with no other cars in my lane, and had oncoming cars actually drive onto the shoulder. Apparently they think I need not only my lane but theirs too. Cars passing me sometimes go out into the far shoulder as well.

A lot of drivers clearly do not have any idea where the right hand side of their vehicle is. Most vehicles, heck even pickups, can actually pass me within the lane if they're hugging the center line, but I still get cars hanging behind me, backing up traffic. If it gets bad sometimes I will stop and wave them past, and then half the time they stop too, then creep past me at a walking pace.
Old 10-23-16, 07:29 AM
funbikerchick

Bikes: Liv Avail Advanced Pro

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Drivers routinely avoid hitting black cats running out from under black cars, parked on blacktop in the dead of night, on unlit streets, and sometimes its raining. Then you have the ones that plow into police motorcycles parked at the side of the road with strobe lights flashing in three different colors and hi-viz reflective decals on both the bike and the officers uniform. its random chance that you will encounter the idiot. The reflective stuff makes you feel safer but actually what keeps you safe is the inherent competence of most road users. I know, I know... but I'm right. You don't really need any of that stuff. It won't save you from an idiot, and you don't need it for the rest. Ok, ok, you can keep the blinky with the 7 different flash patterns (even if you only use the steady mode) and the headlight, of course, and a reflective vest or jacket makes just the right statement when you are off the bike.
Really? You don't think making yourself more visible (not talking about the pool noodle) helps??? I was driving home the other night. It was dark, I was on a dark street, wooded, twisty, narrow, no street lights. Coming from the other direction was a guy on a black bike in black clothing, and no lights. He was barely visible. If I had been coming from the other direction, I could easily have been right on top of him before I saw him.
Old 10-23-16, 08:36 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
No point in arguing with you since you've backed up your position with such solid and compelling evidence. So you just go right ahead, ninja-ing in the dark with your dark clothing.
This is the funniest post of all. Since no evidence exists one way or another, it's impossible to have a fact-based discussion on this topic.
Old 10-23-16, 09:17 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by kingston
This is the funniest post of all. Since no evidence exists one way or another, it's impossible to have a fact-based discussion on this topic.
Evidence or not, it's just common sense that bright clothing and/or light against a dark background stands out better than dark clothing/no lights against a dark background. Anyone who maintains different is not worth having arguments of any kind with, or against. A five-year old could perceive this.
Old 10-23-16, 09:18 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
In my experience it's just impossible to ride a bike in heavy city traffic and keep exactly 3 feet distance between cars at all times all the time...I think that cyclist is just using the pool noodle as a "form of protest", trying to be obnoxious and to annoy the drivers and people.
Old 10-23-16, 09:27 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Evidence or not, it's just common sense that bright clothing and/or light against a dark background stands out better than dark clothing/no lights against a dark background. Anyone who maintains different is not worth having arguments of any kind with, or against. A five-year old could perceive this.
I haven't seen anyone argue in defense of no lights or reflectors at night. The argument is usually between something simple like a steady headlight/tail light with some reflectors vs. some vast array of blinking plus steady lights with reflectors everywhere that some people think is both ridiculous and obnoxious. Ride with whatever makes you feel good, but you'll never win this argument with evidence because there isn't any.
Old 10-23-16, 09:43 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by wolfchild
In my experience it's just impossible to ride a bike in heavy city traffic and keep exactly 3 feet distance between cars at all times all the time...I think that cyclist is just using the pool noodle as a "form of protest", trying to be obnoxious and to annoy the drivers and people.
I'm not sure about intentionally annoy drivers, but I do think he's trying to make a statement with the noodle, because he could make that 90% of that commute on side streets and forested trails. Just look at all the publicity he's gotten over the past few weeks.
Old 10-23-16, 09:53 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I get passed too close nearly everyday. I generally give a crazy weave into the middle of the road when traffic is coming up behind me. Scares them into a really wide berth. If I were less of an a-hole I would consider the noodle.
There are two versions of the crazy weave.

The first one is the "I'm inexperienced and don't really know what I'm doing so it would be wise to do your best to avoid me" - Works the best on a Divvy

The second one is the "I'm a total a-hole with no regard for traffic laws, and I'm just as likely to bunny hop up onto the sidewalk as swerve right in front of you, so look out." - Works the best on a fixie

They both work better than a pool noodle.
Old 10-23-16, 10:28 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I haven't seen anyone argue in defense of no lights or reflectors at night. The argument is usually between something simple like a steady headlight/tail light with some reflectors vs. some vast array of blinking plus steady lights with reflectors everywhere that some people think is both ridiculous and obnoxious. Ride with whatever makes you feel good, but you'll never win this argument with evidence because there isn't any.
All the evidence I need is anecdotal from my own experience.
As a driver ( who had a career driving some of the largest vehicles on the road), a visible cyclist gives me much more decision making time to approach safely.
As a cyclist who frequently rides in the dark, an adequate (not over the top) lighting system, and reflective vest makes traffic pass me with more clearance and care than they do in daylight.
Old 10-23-16, 10:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Only a rear Facing Tail Gunner can actually Force someone to give you a wide berth..

what you want is to have a courteous, aware, motorist approaching you from the rear In a large vehicle ..

and IDK How many of those in New York, Brooklyn or otherwise, There Are..

'/,

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-23-16 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-23-16, 01:17 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
All the evidence I need is anecdotal from my own experience.
As a driver ( who had a career driving some of the largest vehicles on the road), a visible cyclist gives me much more decision making time to approach safely.
As a cyclist who frequently rides in the dark, an adequate (not over the top) lighting system, and reflective vest makes traffic pass me with more clearance and care than they do in daylight.
The disagreement is usually about what constitutes "over the top". For example, I consider strapping a pool noodle to the back of your bike to be "over the top". There is obviously at least one person who thinks that's a perfectly reasonable thing to do based on their own personal life experience of anecdotal evidence.
Old 10-23-16, 05:35 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I'm not sure about intentionally annoy drivers, but I do think he's trying to make a statement with the noodle, because he could make that 90% of that commute on side streets and forested trails.

That's what he should do... But obviously his motive is to attract publicity and make a statement.
Old 10-23-16, 07:33 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I've commuted for over a decade and haven't had the need to filter yet. That said, I hardly ever get close passes either. I like this better than a flash flag, which seems to draw motorist antagonism.
I feel like it's a decent solution, better than the rear blinking lights with crazy flash patterns. It depends on whether you're prioritizing looking good or being safe, but if I'm going to look silly anyways this looks like a good solution to keep cars from passing to close - creates a visual sign of how far away to be, but doesn't risk damaging anyone's car. I'd also wear a helmet camera like the guy is doing, my experience (mostly not in cycling) is that a-holes who are going to try to hassle you because they think you look silly get a lot shier about doing so when they know they're on video and they might have to try to justify their actions later in court.
Old 10-23-16, 08:32 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
In the article, Warren Huska had received a lot of positive comments from motorists and the negative comments aren't more than before. That's downtown Toronto.

Your locale may be different. Only one way to find out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.