Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Stand Hack!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-17, 09:32 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
$29.99 at Aldis I think. (and yes, someone pointed out pinching the cables a while ago and I use the seat post now.)

Old 11-17-17, 10:40 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Really, I'm sorry. But - that ladder thing is just pathetic. I learned how to tie a bike from the ceiling with a cord when I was a child. And, I still use that technique when necessary. People talk about cheap bike stands all the time. I can make one for about $0.50 worth of nylon cord and coat hangers any day of the week.
We're saying the same thing, one of us just has to make himself feel better by insulting the OP. Now you've peaked my curiosity....I would love to see a cord and coat hanger bike stand.
Old 11-17-17, 10:49 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
LMAO, looks like something I would do after drinking too much beer. Please, get a life. Sorry, but IMHO just about anything is better than that contraption. Hang some parachute cord from the ceiling with a couple hooks or something.
Really, I'm sorry. But - that ladder thing is just pathetic. I learned how to tie a bike from the ceiling with a cord when I was a child. And, I still use that technique when necessary. People talk about cheap bike stands all the time. I can make one for about $0.50 worth of nylon cord and coat hangers any day of the week.
Rude.

This ladder works in a pinch. If a rope is better for you, so be it. But being on a cord, it seems it would not be as stable as a ladder and would move as you work on it. So until you are perfect, please don't judge other people. The ladder works for the purpose for the op.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-18-17, 09:54 AM
MikeGodwin
that's who

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know why people are so offended by this idea, I think it would be really useful if you just wanted to pull a wheel or check some adjustments quick. I use a hook in my garage to hold the saddle. Not nearly as good as the ladder for that, actually. A cord from the ceiling seems like it would be in the way most of the time. Whereas you can put the ladder away and my hook is always on the wall holding up the weed whacker. I do most stuff on a stand, but the hook is really useful for quick repairs where I don't want to take my saddlebag off. If you buy a $30 stand from Aldi you have to live with a $30 stand, which is a punishment I'm not willing to suffer.
Old 11-18-17, 07:21 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
We're saying the same thing, one of us just has to make himself feel better by insulting the OP. Now you've peaked my curiosity....I would love to see a cord and coat hanger bike stand.
It's hard to see. But, the Club Fuji is hanging from the rafters in my garage from cheap parachute cord. The hooks were made from leftover #6AWG BSDC. Put a little plastic tubing over the copper to prevent scratching the paint. Just use this technique to take pictures of bikes now. But, when I was a kid - this is how I'd work on my bikes. Easy Peasy. Be good. Have fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fuji Club 100.jpg (256.7 KB, 74 views)
Old 11-18-17, 10:12 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

I still think it would move when applying torque
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-19-17, 07:40 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Yeah, I think in a pinch, I'd rather go with the ladder than the hook and rope.
Old 11-19-17, 09:17 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jj1091
The ladder sort of limits your access to the bike, but hey, it works. I've never had a bike stand, I just turn my bikes upside down and put a piece of carpet under the handlebars and seat.
Well, look who's super rich and can afford to have extra carpets lying around...while the rest of us poor folks are setting our bikes upside down in bare concrete!!!
Old 11-20-17, 05:43 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
Well, look who's super rich and can afford to have extra carpets lying around...while the rest of us poor folks are setting our bikes upside down in bare concrete!!!
My dog apparently feels the same about my piece of carpet. If I fail to secure the door into my shop, that's the one place he heads for in his eternal quest for spots to mark. So, it's not a really NICE piece of carpet....
Old 11-20-17, 12:44 PM
m7ickey

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape City

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
While necessity remains the mother of invention, it's not a work stand unless you can use it to do... work. That's a bike hanging from a ladder, which makes it easier to take the wheels off.

Beyond that, I'm not the only one that sees that humpback-bow in the saddle in pic #2, from it having load placed on it in a way it was never intended to, right? Wouldn't recommend leaving it like that for long periods.
It's just an optical illusion/camera angle, didn't bow anything.
Old 11-20-17, 12:49 PM
m7ickey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
Looks like you're in a garage. If you have exposed rafters, tie some loops of rope around them. You can hang the bike by the seat and handlebars to work on it.

But a real bike stand is better than any of this stuff, and not too expensive. I've got one that folds up stashed in my computer room. Definitely worth the investment for me.
That's my basement, no easy way too hang, very low ceiling, limited work space, etc. I am going to take a closer look though to see if its possible
Old 11-20-17, 12:51 PM
m7ickey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LMAO, looks like something I would do after drinking too much beer. Please, get a life. Sorry, but IMHO just about anything is better than that contraption. Hang some parachute cord from the ceiling with a couple hooks or something.
Move along then, I don't give a **** what you think

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 11-20-17 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 12:53 PM
m7ickey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I suppose it is alright if you want to calibrate your derailleurs, but not much after that. You would have a hard time removing a crank. Even removing/installing wheels would be more difficult
Actually, removing and installing wheels is exactly what I use it for and it works like a charm
Old 11-20-17, 01:05 PM
m7ickey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, didn't check this post for over a week and had to laugh at the discussion that ensued. I needed a way to easily swap wheels. This worked. It was free. BTW, no way the bike would ever fall off unless I was trying to make it fall off. Its not perfect but I can run my bike to my basement, hang it, swap out my summer wheels for my winter studded set, STAY WARM while doing it and off I go. Sure there are better ways, none cheaper than free though. Also cleaned and oiled my chain, adjusted derailer and brakes while hanging on the FREE hanger. Can't think of any work I want to do on my bike that can't be accomplished with my hack. Ya'll debate all you want, someone will use this idea which was my only point in posting. As with any large group of people, you will always have some.... Peace.
Mickey
Old 11-20-17, 08:27 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Well I for one, learned something from this. I think it's pretty cool. I'll most likely do this rather than pull out my stand and set it up.