Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Old 01-20-19, 06:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Fwiw,

Please tell us your age.
(67 I was in my 2nd year in US Navy, Nuke Missile Sub)

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Winter, rain, Bike Friday Pocket Llama (IGH Disc brakes) I have others.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Glaucoma .. prescription eye drops

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
speed modest , time in the saddle less ..

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
as a boy my favorite swimming place was a 12 mile ride away.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
1997, my 50th year, I toured Ireland and Scotland, 91, behind the former Iron Curtain starting from AMS..
Now I hardly leave town

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Daily to go places, how far no clue..

97 was the last time I put a battery in my touring bike's computer

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-20-19 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 03:08 PM
asilversun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! I'm 52, and just getting (back) into biking. These forums are a great resource, so thank you!

I currently own a Bridgestone XO3, but I'm also currently shopping for something that might be a little more comfortable!

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Iron supplements.

I do feel like certain things are getting a bit harder... I'm a runner, but that's taking a toll, which is why I'm moving toward cycling. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's kinder on my body (if not my wallet!).

I used to ride a lot in my 20s, but I'd call myself a newbie now. It's been a while!

Short rec rides.

Not even worth mentioning!
Old 03-15-19, 07:59 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Haven't yet done this so here goes:

Please tell us your age.

Daily: 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, Travel and Bad Weather Bike: 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, Dirt/MTB 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe

Idiopathic CHF diagnosed Nov. 1 2011
Ejection Fraction at 15-20 % currently 20-25 %
Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) implanted Dec. 3 2013 ICD
Carvedilol 2Xday, Lisinopril, Furosemide

Currently riding less than a few years ago down from average of 40 miles/day to 25-30/ day. But have added walking 3-9 miles/day to the routine

During childhood like most. Picked up again during college in the late 60’s and riding ever since.

My wife and I live near the Withlacoochee State Trail, a paved 46 mile rail trail in North Central Florida. But spend the summer months traveling in our motorhome to ride all throughout New England and Atlantic Canada.

Our best year 2017 was a little over 12k miles. Normally we ride daily between 10 and 5o miles/day (weather dependent of course) and average between 8K and 10K miles/year
Old 03-20-19, 10:06 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 485 Posts
I hadn't noticed this thread before. Don't know why...it's sitting there at the top of the page.

Please tell us your age.

Most rides (centuries, weekends, etc): 1981 Ron Cooper - only bike I've ever bought brand new
Commuter: 1986 Miyata 710
Weekend rider for less-hilly rides: 1974 Cinelli Special Corsa
Mountain Bike: 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1

I tried a "modern" bike for a while (Trek aluminum with drifters, index shifting, etc) which had some nice conveniences but didn't ride as nicely as my vintage bikes so I got rid of it. I guess I'm just a vintage curmudgeon. I do enjoy beating my younger riding partners with their ridiculously light carbon bikes.

Nope

I've slowed down since my 20s, but sped up since my 50s. Last year I rode the 130 mile 15,000 ft Markleeville Deathride and climbed Mount Whitney. This year I'm signed up for the Davis Double Century among other things. I'm regularly pulling PRs on Strava. I know this can't go on forever but I'm working on continuous fitness improvement to stave off the ravages of old age.

Got my first bike at age 9. Delivered papers in my teens. Got into biking seriously at about age 20 and have done it continuously since (though reduced effort during the child raising years).

All of the above. I frequently do 50 to 70 mile weekend rides, commute to work fairly regularly, ride centuries (and coming up a double century), and would like to get back into touring, which I haven't done for several decades.

About 3 to 5 times a week. About 5000 miles per year. Hopefully I can retire soon and ramp that number up.
Old 03-21-19, 11:21 AM
boomerbicyclist

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Bianchi Nuovo Racing, Colnago Superissimo(?)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
This thread was started in August, 2004, by DnvrFox, shortly after founding the 50+ Forum. The purpose was to give 50+ riders (new, returning, experienced) some idea of the range of what other 50+ riders do in their bicycling.

Some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with Dura Ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

Both are right. Read on for yourself.

Over the years, many, many posts have been added. It is one of the most viewed thread ever on the 50+ Forum. It was not a "sticky," then it was a "sticky," then it wasn't a "sticky," and, finally, it is a "sticky" again.

Feel free to browse through the many responses, and to add your own if you like. It is possible that no one will acknowledge your post - but don't feel insulted.

This is likely the most comprehensive collection of 50+ bicyclist information ever compiled, anywhere. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

Below is the original post.

(DnvrFox, the original poster to this thread, no longer posts in the 50+ forum.)

DnvrFox, the OP
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Three (so far): 1), a 2010 Bacchetta Giro I souped up w/SRAM X.0, non-factory wheels, & an FSA triple crank; 2), a desperately-in-need-of-new-paint Nuovo Racing ('82 vintage?); and 3) the other love of my life (besides my wife, of course), my late-80s/early 90s (? again) Colnago, probably a Superissimo, except that I can't find serial number nor model name anywhere on the bike, updated w/2017 11-spd. Chorus, and Zondas.

Multi-vitamins and single malt.

A lot, though this is due much more to the calendar & the weight gain that came with nineteen years behind the wheel of a city bus.

All my life, sort of: it's been more on-again, off-again, depending on life circumstances.

Mostly commuting, a local social/fundraiser call the Bridge Pedal, and the odd 'cause-I-love-it ride.

Depends utterly on the year.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
63 in early May.
Old 03-24-19, 07:22 PM
Hamstring
Knuckle Dragger

Bikes: Kona Splice

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Please tell us your age.

57 in April

Kona Splice. Get it the end of next week. Can't wait.

BP medication and lots of Ibuprophen and Acetaminophen.

Lots due to arthritis and excessive weight gain.

Probably half my life. I've been away for about 20 years now so I'm looking forward to getting back into the saddle.

I'll be doing between 15 and 20 miles for the first few months mostly to lose the weight and get back into "the groove". After that, who knows?

Zero right now but that's about to change dramatically very soon.
Old 03-24-19, 07:51 PM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Hmmm.... Let me chime in here:

Please tell us your age. 57 (I'll be 58 in a few weeks).

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Whatever they want to ride! But for me, I stay classic with a 1985 Fuji Del Rey, that I picked up a number of years ago off Craigslist here in town, from a local college kid who graduated and didn't want it anymore. It was a "garage queen" for decades and is still in amazing condition!

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Not really. Occasionally, I'll pick up some Centrum Silver 50+ multivitamins if I think about it, but most of the time, I don't take anything.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Ha ha ha... I haven't slowed down and doubt I ever will! My brain still tells me that I can do everything that I did back when I was 26!

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Biked on and off all my life. I took a bit of an absence here and there, but always came right back to it. Now that I found that C&V '85 Fuji for a steal, I am seriously back into it, and try to get out and ride as much as I can!

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. A combination of short neighborhood rides of about 6 or 7 miles, to longer rides out into the next county, looping my way back around for 42 miles total. I got into mountain biking for a little bit, but realized that too much speed while slaloming in and out of trees, is rather foolish. Besides, going airborne over ravines and tree stumps, like the "younger crowd" does isn't exactly something I desire to do.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? I try to get out and ride as much as I can, but I have a busy schedule and not much free time, being that I am active as a Shriner and also a Past Master of a Masonic lodge. My avg annual mileage is only around 800 miles.
Old 03-26-19, 09:28 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Please tell us your age. 58

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Once I really got the bug about 8 years ago (prior to that just had an entry-level hardtail and entry level road bike--decent rides, but ...average) I went all in on singlespeeding for about 4 years--singlespeed 29r mountain bike, and singlespeed Surly Cross Check as a "do everything" around town bike. However, I live right at the base of the mountains, and I have since gone back to gears. Now I sometimes ride the Cross Check (now with gears), but 90% of the time is spent on a Kona Rove ST, 650B. On road and off, about 50/50. "Road Plus" FTW

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? No. Just eat as healthy as I can, and eat a lot as I am a super hard-gainer, high metabolism, and I start losing mass if I don't eat. The only somewhat regular post-ride supplements for me are nice big and flavorful IPA's

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I get the occasional over-use injury which slows me down from time to time, and a hernia operation a few years back which took me out for a while, but I have better aerobic fitness now (thanks to riding) than when I was 30 and just going to the gym, lifting weights, not doing this degree of cardio.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Biked on and off all my life on and off but not to this level. Really got hooked again over the last decade.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Occasional over-night creditcard tours. Bikepacking is next--all geared up with bags, etc.--just need sleeping gear. But mostly 2-5 hour rides. Very lucky to live right next to the San Gabriels here in SoCal--excellent riding.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? 4-5 times a week. On road and off so mileage various greatly.
Old 03-28-19, 03:48 PM
crobertrose
Rider

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1978 Peugeot, 1988 Bridgestone RB2, 1990 Trek 830, 2018 Fuji Jari 1.3

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Riding Again

I'm 61. Rode serious miles on road bike during warm months and mountain bike in winter to stay in shape. Life happened and stopped riding for 26 years. Last year I finally started riding again. First on my mountain bike then on my restored road bike.

1988 Bridgestone RB2, 1990 Trek 830 Antelope, 1978 Pegueot waiting to be restored and just bought a 2018 Fuji Jari 1.3 gravel bike. I ride this almost all the time currently.

Nope - Just cholesterol meds and prostate med.

Yes - but I'm still trying to overcome so many years of long work hours and no riding.

Rode a lot as a kid and in my 20's - 30's.

Training again. 20 miles is my base distance. Working up to cross US ride next year - been a life long dream.

Not near enough yet. Average only up to around 1500 year. Long ways to go.
Old 03-28-19, 05:19 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I'm going on 53 and not dead yet. Lord knows the warranty is long expired.

1995 Schwinn Centennial something Cruiser (Germaine)
1961? Rollfast middleweight cantilever frame, springer added (Rosa)
195? Rollfast middleweight bottom curved bar (aka Hawthorne) named Tempest, modified (RAT)
1954 Schwinn straightbar Hornet, named Darla

works in progress:

1946 Shelby Traveler (Tess)
1951 Rollfast ballooner (Beryl)
1962 Sears J. C. Higgins Flightliner
198? Chicago made Schwinn Cruiser

Project for my niece named Holly Huffy.
Old 04-09-19, 01:36 AM
kawartha 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

2016 Fuji Sportif 1.0 daily driver, 1973 Peugeot PX10 for special rides, 1970 Raleigh Gran Prix for fun torture rides.

Vitamins C, B12, D, E, Mg

Not much. Some things are harder, pain lasts longer, not as fast as I'd like but inside I feel the same as when I was younger.

Always had a bike since I was 8. Main transport as teenager and early twenties, now it is to keep in shape and not die.

25-50km solo rides, occasional 80-100km, 2-4 Gran Fondo type events per year.

I live in a hilly rural part of Canada with a stupid long winter. Not safe to ride in winter. During the warm season I ride every day the weather permits. My lower cutoff is about 4 degrees Celsius, I avoid rain because I hate rust and cleaning, and not crazy about winds greater than 40 km/hr. Annual mileage is about 5,000 km/year. Hope to increase that to 10K but not always possible.
Old 04-09-19, 07:14 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
First post. Just joined, but have lurked some before joining.

Please tell us your age. 54. My screen name refers to something else, but give me time and I'll get there.

What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? My current bikes are a Chinese Schwinn Jaguar 7-speed bought new in 2007 or 2008 and a used 2013 Norco Cityglide 8IGH that I just got a month ago. (EDIT: Got rid of the Jaguar in the Summer of 2019 and replaced it with a Schwinn "Speedster" Willy single speed.)
​​
Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Unfiltered local honey, B12, C, Iron, and Zinc.

How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I've slowed down in regular life quite a bit, so I've been back on the bike since October 2018 and my energy level has gotten much better. Riding in the winter in my part of the world is a great time to ride.

How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Like many people, I rode a lot as a kid and teenager with two coaster brake single speeds and a 10-speed. I was an avid motorcyclist (on and off road) for a couple decades with a mountain bicycle owned during the motorcycle years. A few years after giving up motorcycles in the early 2000s, I got back into riding for exercise.

What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Short area rides in the morning or after dark. Too many cars and trucks around here to ride during the middle of the day, since road shoulders are non-existent.

How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? On track for maybe 1,000 miles per year. Just not enough time. Work, chores, family life, etc.

Last edited by FiftySix; 07-10-20 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-11-19, 02:22 PM
mb2112

Bikes: Road Bike, Mountain Bike, Commuter Bike, Gravel bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK I'll play...

Please tell us your age.

51. Really. I can't believe it myself.

Trek Fuel MTB; Bontrager Race Lite MTB; Trek Madone road bike; Surly Cross Check commuter, pub crawler, errand runner; Trek Checkpoint gravel/camping/touring

None.

Not too bad. Mostly in the last couple of years. I find it takes longer to recover from hard rides though.

BMX'er as a kid. Took a hiatus in teenage years (cars, girls, too cool), then found mtn. bikes in college and haven't stopped since.

Mtn bikes still my favorite but do mostly club road rides, some gravel races/rides, charity tours and light camping/touring.

Commute to work 3-4 days/week, plus club rides and whatever's happening on the weekend. Usually 4000-5000 miles/year.
Old 04-12-19, 12:19 PM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
Been lurking for some time, so I thought an introduction was in order, lol.

Please tell us your age.
64. Retirement right around the corner.

Just got a new Trek FX2. Very happy with it.

Nope.

Quite a bit. Bad knees, back, etc. but overall no complaints.

Rode a bike everywhere as a kid till my teen years then stopped completely. Got back into it a bit when my kids were born (had a kid seat on my old Raleigh 10 speed and took them out often). Stopped riding again when the kids were in their teens. Got back into biking about 4 years ago.

Generally do rides on bike paths and local streets around my area.

Very limited as I live in the great white north (Montreal). Still snow on the ground now (mid April) but finally clearing up. I like to get out a least 4 times a week when weather allows. Plan to increase amount when I retire.
Old 04-15-19, 12:45 PM
Cantona

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Here we go:

Please tell us your age.

I have a lot of bikes - almost all road bikes.

Nope.

I haven't slowed down that much, but then I've never been that fast. Stamina is holding up OK.

Rode a lot as a child / teenager / student. Dropped off a lot when work / marriage / home owning kicked in. Gave up smoking about 12 years ago, and replaced it with cycling / collecting bikes.

Commute / ride around town every day, regardless of weather. Try to get a decent ride in at weekends as often as I can. Always take a bike on holiday, normally Italy or France.

Every day / no idea.
Old 04-15-19, 05:07 PM
boomerbicyclist

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Bianchi Nuovo Racing, Colnago Superissimo(?)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
As I read through the posts, two things strike me:

1. The 50+ bicyclers who have responded are generally pretty sophisticated bicycling folks, riding high quality machines, road bikes, other types of bikes, and are into "real" riding, not the typical stereotype that many have of "seniors" or "elderly" riders out for a Sunday ride.

2. The number of folks who also lift weights. As you gain more maturity in life, lifting weights is increasingly important to counter natural muscle loss and to fight against osteoporosis. Unfortunately, bicycling does not help in osteo prevention at all, as it actually promotes osteoporosis, so it is really important to do the resistive exercise activities. I happen to love doing them, so it is easy for me.

We now have 78 bicyclists on the forum who have self-identified themselves as 50+.

Good job, everyone.
Thanks for the gentle nag about weights: I hate 'em because I find lifting tedious, painful, and generally futile for me (I took a weight training class my senior year of high school, and in an entire semester gained a whopping two pounds); but I do recognize the need for strength training, so thanks again. Given that my dad died at 44 [from ALS he probably contracted when on active duty in the Army], I find every day is a bonus. It's always a great day to be alive, and I'd like to keep it that way for quite a while.

Does anybody have issues with osteoarthritis? After nineteen years jockeying a city bus, my hands are arthritic, and I'm finding a loss of grip strength--a real pain, when you consider that of the four two-wheeled vehicles I own, only one has a motor. I'm definitely open to recommendations for exercises or supplements. My Colnago, my Vespa and I thank you in advance.
Old 04-18-19, 03:45 PM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Some questions:

Gary Fisher Marlin MTB and Specialized Sirrus Hybrid. Also an 80's Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke gas motor. A roadie is my next bike.

Centrum Silver and Vitamin D

I fatigue easier, but years of thyroid issues that are now resolved seems to have helped

All my life, much more serious about it now

12-15 miles at a stretch a few times a week. Occasional group rides. I would love to do a century someday.

1000 miles? not sure

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
Old 04-18-19, 05:43 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Trek DS3 with an FX6 coming in the near future.

Been taking supplements my whole life. I gobble down about 20 different ones daily
I'll be 70 in a week. I didn't really start noticing any meaningful slowing down until around 65 BUT I've been active just about my whole life. At 70 (almost) I need more breaks during a long ride (long for me) that includes steep hills. Flat ground doesn't much bother me. Now my knees are the issue.

As a kid all the time. As an adult a lot until the 1990s and then got out of it until about a year ago.

Generally recreational / exercise rides around home (it's really hilly around here) and throw in MUPs (mostly rail/trails) going at a "smell the roses" pace with my wife.

Three to four times a week I do around 25 mile per ride around home... March through around December. Add the rail/trail mileage and I'm probably in the 2500 miles a year range.
Old 04-19-19, 01:45 PM
hcgaloi

Bikes: Spcialized RockHopper (free) 1992 Trek T100 Tandem ($220) 2006 Quintana Roo Seduza ($350) 2016 Giant Fastroad ($1100)

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please tell us your age.
53 as of 2019

In order of preference:
1-Masciarelli Pitbull
2-Colnago EX-1 Evo
3-Cipollini RB800
4-Quintana Roo Seduza
5-Giant Fastroad
6-Trek T100 Tandem

One-a-Day

Mentally I have slowed down quite a bit. Things are harder to remember

2 1/2 years as of Apr/2019

Recreational, mainly to lose weight

5 times a week, and 20 miles per ride. Approximately, 3000+ mile annually
Old 04-21-19, 10:18 AM
rodgeman

Bikes: 2019 Salsa TimberJack

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Please tell us your age.

2012 Specialized Sirrus

No

Body takes longer to heal. On the plus side pain is not as big a deal.

Just got back in this year

Rec rides

2 to 3 days a week - now up to 6 miles a day
Old 04-30-19, 02:13 AM
Raceline SP

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

duel suspension mountain bikes any thing else is too hard on the old back
1997 Raceline sp when I visit my daughter.
1998 specialized fsr
most of the time is a super soft set up duel with all the latest bells and whistles but it just feels about an inch too high and a little too twitchey so I love the smaller 98 spczd fsr

betta blockers for the hills,

60% heart blockage but I’m still here

Feels like a life time to me but might be only 50 years to you.

Short to long short.
Road +park + beach path +headland climb +road +woods + park +lake +road to home 3 to 5 miles.

A few times a week. 200 to 350 aprox. My backs been too sore to much this year.

Last edited by Raceline SP; 04-30-19 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Add more info.
Old 05-08-19, 12:34 PM
bluezurich
Team Concussed/AARP

Bikes: Pinarello Stelvio, Ritchey Logic, Trek Roscoe 8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
54-ish

2016 Ritchey Logic, Campag 11, HED Belgium +
2018 Trek Roscoe 8

Nothing age related, just take the same supplements I always have as an adult

Used to be quite the mountain goat and now I c limb 99% seated and in a much easier gear (53/39 & 12-29 as opposed to 53/42 & 12-23 as a youngster)

Been road cycling since 1986, always had a bike fetish since I first learned back in 1968. Made a mountain bike before those old farts in Marin County ever did as well, lol.

Where as I rode 35-100 miles per ride in my salad days, I do 17-33 now with an occasional 50-60 here and there. Usually it's a one bottle ride.

100 miles per week these days. So with a long winter and little top no riding those days, approx 2500-3200 miles per year.
Old 05-12-19, 03:12 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
Interesting!! For 15 years this thread has stayed around, with folks continuing to post, yet there is no real useful purpose, except perhaps historical. Does anyone read it regularly or even sporadically? I've been around in one form or another since this was originally posted. Approaching 80yo next November.

Last edited by gobicycling; 05-12-19 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 12:05 PM
Mrgncty1 

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
73, been biking 65 years. No special supplements or anything like that. Slowed a bit
but retirement makes biking time easier to find. Ride a Trek 420, Bianchi
Tangent, or Riv SimpleOne, mostly city/trail, maybe 2k/year, anywhere from
5-50 miles st a time. (hard to ride all year in Chicago).
Old 06-17-19, 11:38 PM
Ruthless

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dnvrfox
this thread was started in august, 2004, by dnvrfox, shortly after founding the 50+ forum. The purpose was to give 50+ riders (new, returning, experienced) some idea of the range of what other 50+ riders do in their bicycling.

some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with dura ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

both are right. Read on for yourself.

over the years, many, many posts have been added. It is one of the most viewed thread ever on the 50+ forum. It was not a "sticky," then it was a "sticky," then it wasn't a "sticky," and, finally, it is a "sticky" again.

feel free to browse through the many responses, and to add your own if you like. It is possible that no one will acknowledge your post - but don't feel insulted.

this is likely the most comprehensive collection of 50+ bicyclist information ever compiled, anywhere. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

below is the original post.

(dnvrfox, the original poster to this thread, no longer posts in the 50+ forum.)

dnvrfox, the op
i thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age. 59

Takara nobu 26 by 4
schwinn sidewinder mountain bike 26 by 1.95
this one will be a gravel bike it will always be a work in progress.

I'm supposed to

Very much. In more than one way. Too many old injuries.

I did when i was younger. Just getting back in the saddle. Thank goodness for fat bikes

Very short rec rides

Right now maybe 2 miles for this year
still falling over.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

Originally Posted by dnvrfox
we have identified 46 of us who are 50+, including 9 who are 60-64.

I will be 65 soon, so i almost fit the next category. 65-69.

A couple of thoughts on some place (forum, thread, whatever) dedicated to folks 50+

1. Folks who are 50+ and who are considering starting a fitness program are at times quite unsure about themselves, what they can do, what goals might be appropriate, training techniques, etc. When they discover a forum such as bicycleforum in their search for answers, it may be comforting to see that they are not alone - that there are others engaged in similar pursuits.

I see a number of introductory posts like "at 52, i am old, but want to start getting exercise. Etc., etc." some folks think they are way over the hill at 50, likely because they feel that way. A senior place allows them to discover what other folks their age and older are doing in the way of fitness.

2. Some of the younger folks on the forum believe that someone 50+ is "elderly" and pretty much also over the hill. Likely this is the example that they have at home in their own family. I think it is eye=opening to some of them to see that folks 50+ go on centuries, tours, can ride litespeeds and airborne and bent's (not just "comfort" bikes) and bike 1000's of miles each year. Some weight lift, run and do other things. It is nice to have a place where they can see the combined "force" of 50+ riders at least in this forum, and may also give the younger folks the impetus to get their own family non-exercising members involved in some fitness activities.

3. Much of the perception of what folks 50+ can and should do fitness-wise, in the fitness world, in the press, in md's eyes, is generally very light modified exercises - that kind of thing. The things that folks 50+ do as expressed in this forum just blows that concept away.

But anyway, these are my thoughts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.