Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIV

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIV

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 03:09 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,602 Times in 3,466 Posts
Originally Posted by Makel
Vodka

Oh wait wrong thread.

Well, maybe not.
Nope, you're in the right place.
Old 05-29-19, 03:11 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by gnome
Vodka is good. Whiskey is better.
This. Bourbon to be specific.
Old 05-29-19, 03:13 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by LowCel
Starting weight (10/21/18) - 295 lbs
Current weight (5/29/19) - 217 lbs
Goal weight - 195 lbs
Old 05-29-19, 03:16 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Excuse my French, but my effin' alternator is not charging the battery, which explains why my battery was dead. Damn thing needs to be towed to NJ. At least it's still under warranty (barely). This is the third major problem I have had with my Forester in less than 3 years and 7,500 miles. Yes. 7,500 miles.
Old 05-29-19, 03:23 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by datlas
OK I am back from Xray and good news is NO fracture. They say likely a mild shoulder separation.

Story is 20 miles into our ride, I was on the front and getting ready to make a left turn. Was sticking left arm out and looking ahead for possible oncoming cars....and obviously not looking closely at the road. There was a divot or small hole in the pavement (I don't know how big but big enough) and apparently I went over it, and since I had weight on the right hood only, it caused the front wheel to turn suddenly and I went down. I don't know for sure my speed but it was likely 15-20 MPH, medium but not high. I landed on my right hip and right shoulder, rolled over and then minor bang to my head/helmet, I think I only rolled over once, and came to rest on the side of the road in some grass. The initial impact was on the pavement and was pretty hard. I was dazed for a minute or two, but all my friends reminded me to stay down and rest. I took about 5 minutes to gather myself. Other soft tissue injuries include skinning my left thumb tip and left palm (small area thanks to my gloves) and road rash on my right forearm and right hip.

The crash also hurt my bike, both hoods got banged up/twisted and the hood covers torn at the front. Saddle and bars twisted, but otherwise bike was ok. So after a few minutes I felt well enough to continue to ride. The only problem was that every time I tried to move my right arm (like going from drops to hoods) I got really bad pain at the tip of my shoulder. We went about 5 miles to the rest stop and I used the restroom to wash off my hands, and we finished the ride.

I got home and took 4 advil and 2 tylenol, put some nice frozen veggies on my shoulder, and went to get an Xray. Coincidentally I had agreed to drive my neighbor to get a CT scan so I drove him and got my Xray there, as above good news is nothing broken. Taking my jersey off was a challenge, I only had a half zipper and every time I tried to raise my right arm the pain was/is pretty bad.

I will have to look for some vodka to take tonight.
One word: Ice.
Old 05-29-19, 03:46 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
One word: Ice.
On the shoulder? Or in the vodka??
Old 05-29-19, 03:52 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
Copying my Facebook post.

It’s been a while, time for another update. I haven’t really been losing much weight since I started riding but I have been getting stronger and I think I’ve been losing some fat and gaining muscle. For the time being I’m okay with that. Once the temps start falling I will concentrate more on the weight loss. Right now I’m making sure I eat enough to ride bikes and I’m just enjoying myself.

Starting weight (10/21/18) - 295 lbs
Current weight (5/29/19) - 217 lbs
Goal weight - 195 lbs

My biggest goal was to get back on a bicycle which I have done. My first ride was on 3/23/19. On 4/13/19 I celebrated three weeks on the bike by riding 60 miles. Then on 5/25/19 I celebrated two months on the bike by riding 100 miles. So far I have ridden 1,102 miles since I started back.

Congratulations! Not an easy thing to do.
Old 05-29-19, 04:04 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
@datlas stop trying to compete with Rowan and trainsnorter, you're clearly a rookie at this stuff
Heal quickly!
New helmet hand wringing should ensue immediately.
Old 05-29-19, 04:16 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 388 Posts
both.
Old 05-29-19, 04:17 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

My helmet is not obviously crushed but given what happened I think I will look for a new one to be safe. It's a 4 year old Prevail which I really like. Unsure what I should get to replace it. Should I ask in the 41??
do eet.
Old 05-29-19, 04:17 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Originally Posted by Pirkaus
@datlas stop trying to compete with Rowan and trainsnorter, you're clearly a rookie at this stuff
Heal quickly!
New helmet hand wringing should ensue immediately.
this.
Old 05-29-19, 04:18 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Tomorrow will be New Bike Day, but not for me -

The funny thing is that I wasn't the driving force on this. I was all for letting him save his money and pay for at least half of the bike, but the wife came to me yesterday and said that she thought that we should get him one for his bday tomorrow. Not too many geared 20-inchers out there, but this one seemed to be one of the better values available locally. He's going to love being able to shift.
very cool.
Old 05-29-19, 05:06 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
My helmet is not obviously crushed but given what happened I think I will look for a new one to be safe. It's a 4 year old Prevail which I really like. Unsure what I should get to replace it. Should I ask in the 41??
I know you are a doctor, but trust me on this -- head protection is worth more than anything else, including the bike.
Old 05-29-19, 05:08 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts

To all of the above.
Old 05-29-19, 05:11 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I am at home and in my hammock.
But still on mobile.
Three dogs in the room with me, two of them beneath the hammock. And one cat. There is a fourth, foster dog around here someplace
Tsa was in my bike box. I'm kinda afraid to open it. Tomorrow perhaps
Old 05-29-19, 05:19 PM
Makel

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Specialized Transition, Specialized Fate, Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
My shoulder sure hurts. Should I drink some vodka? Am at X-ray registration. One of the few perks of my job is I can order my own films.
Yes, and get a medical marijuana card while you're at it.
Old 05-29-19, 06:30 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
OK I am back from Xray and good news is NO fracture. They say likely a mild shoulder separation.

Story is 20 miles into our ride, I was on the front and getting ready to make a left turn. Was sticking left arm out and looking ahead for possible oncoming cars....and obviously not looking closely at the road. There was a divot or small hole in the pavement (I don't know how big but big enough) and apparently I went over it, and since I had weight on the right hood only, it caused the front wheel to turn suddenly and I went down. I don't know for sure my speed but it was likely 15-20 MPH, medium but not high. I landed on my right hip and right shoulder, rolled over and then minor bang to my head/helmet, I think I only rolled over once, and came to rest on the side of the road in some grass. The initial impact was on the pavement and was pretty hard. I was dazed for a minute or two, but all my friends reminded me to stay down and rest. I took about 5 minutes to gather myself. Other soft tissue injuries include skinning my left thumb tip and left palm (small area thanks to my gloves) and road rash on my right forearm and right hip.

The crash also hurt my bike, both hoods got banged up/twisted and the hood covers torn at the front. Saddle and bars twisted, but otherwise bike was ok. So after a few minutes I felt well enough to continue to ride. The only problem was that every time I tried to move my right arm (like going from drops to hoods) I got really bad pain at the tip of my shoulder. We went about 5 miles to the rest stop and I used the restroom to wash off my hands, and we finished the ride.

I got home and took 4 advil and 2 tylenol, put some nice frozen veggies on my shoulder, and went to get an Xray. Coincidentally I had agreed to drive my neighbor to get a CT scan so I drove him and got my Xray there, as above good news is nothing broken. Taking my jersey off was a challenge, I only had a half zipper and every time I tried to raise my right arm the pain was/is pretty bad.

Sorry to hear it. Good thing opioids are now so hard to come by in your area. Otherwise you might be tempted to take 1/2 of one. Seriously, feel better soon. At least the Saturn isn’t stick...or is it?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-29-19, 07:07 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts

Ouch. Feel better soon.
Old 05-29-19, 07:08 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Tomorrow will be New Bike Day, but not for me -

The funny thing is that I wasn't the driving force on this. I was all for letting him save his money and pay for at least half of the bike, but the wife came to me yesterday and said that she thought that we should get him one for his bday tomorrow. Not too many geared 20-inchers out there, but this one seemed to be one of the better values available locally. He's going to love being able to shift.
Old 05-29-19, 07:14 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by LAJ
Nobody comes near my BIG $ jersey with scissors.
A medic cut the helmet straps off the helmet of one of our junior racers, after a crash. A brand new Evade. She was pissed. Claims she didn't even hit her head (maybe...).
Old 05-29-19, 07:17 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by gnome
both.
Ditto.
Old 05-29-19, 07:18 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

They still make the Prevail. Now with ANGi and MIPS!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...=250934-162027
Old 05-29-19, 07:19 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Sorry to hear it. Good thing opioids are now so hard to come by in your area. Otherwise you might be tempted to take 1/2 of one. Seriously, feel better soon. At least the Saturn isn’t stick...or is it?
Saturn is stick and no power steering either. It did hurt a bit driving it, but I managed.
Old 05-29-19, 07:19 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Yes
Old 05-29-19, 07:22 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by rjones28
They still make the Prevail. Now with ANGi and MIPS!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...=250934-162027
That’s a Big $ helmet but I may still get it. Especially if I qualify for the 20% crash replacement discount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.