Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Rob Anderson losing his cool

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-08, 08:11 PM
crhilton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't live in California, but I've been watching a bit of this Rob Anderson saga because it's so intriguing.

In a recent post he replied to a local newspaper editorial. The reply was careful and calculated. He tried very hard to make the author look like a radical and to make himself look like the center: Which, in the US, is the anti-rational way that we validate things.

Well, the comments got a bit different. He sort of let it all out.

At 12:00 PM, Blogger I Hate Nazi Cyclists said...

Thank you. You do not to lump all cyclists together, but many people _may_ do that from reading the text. Almost ALL of the cyclists one sees on the morning commutes are extremely friendly and behave with cars, pedestrians, etc., and are just as frustrated with the occasional biker with an attitude. Many cyclists do get angry when a commuter talking on a cell phone RACES by with a near miss. They just want to stay alive. Many commute from Marin. They may even drive an SUV, but in using a bike they may save $9 in fuel, $18 in parking, and also save money on a gym membership. And removing that one car from the VERY crowded commute is something we should all appreciate. I do! - thank you.

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Rob Anderson said...

Yes, yes, yes, we've all heard this before. SUVs, cell phones, blah, blah, blah. If you want to stay alive, you shouldn't be riding a bike from Marin to SF. Maybe their scoutmasters---or the Great God Green in the afterlife---will give them a special merit badge for Saving the Planet.

At 1:19 PM, Blogger phipps said...

Just when I was beginning to think some of the things you write are rational, you make a comment like this:

"If you want to stay alive, you shouldn't be riding a bike from Marin to SF"

As a district 5 resident and cyclist I could not vote for someone who's attitude toward cyclists is that they shouldn't be on the road at all if they care about their safety.

Don't you think it would be beneficial to us all if we took steps to make the roads safer? One of the main reasons the number of people who commute by bicycle is so low is that under current conditions many people don't feel safe.

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Rob Anderson said...

Make the roads safe for people who ride their bikes from Marin? How exactly would we do that? I don't really give a flying **** if you vote for me or not.
Old 08-29-08, 08:32 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Here's another gem from Rob Anderson:

I wouldn't ride a bike in SF or anywhere else because it is in fact dangerous (See the post excerpting cyclist Robert Hurst's book). Recall that most cycling accidents are "solo falls" and have nothing to do with other vehicles.
I'm actually rendered a bit speechless by this comment.

His own bike riding skills must be pretty similar to those of a seven year old who's just had his training wheels taken off. Moreover, he can't seem to imagine that there are others who can actually handle themselves on a bike.

Just... wow.
Old 08-29-08, 08:48 PM
ATAC49er
Banned

Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If these blog comments are published in a more general forum, I believe Mr. Anderson would see the fuse on his campaign firecracker snuffed out pretty quickly.

If I lived in his district, you can BELIEVE it would be as widely circulated as possible!
Old 08-29-08, 08:52 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by apricissimus
Here's another gem from Rob Anderson:

I'm actually rendered a bit speechless by this comment.

His own bike riding skills must be pretty similar to those of a seven year old who's just had his training wheels taken off. Moreover, he can't seem to imagine that there are others who can actually handle themselves on a bike.

Just... wow.
He attempts to use Robert Hurst's book Art of Cycling as a way to say that cycling is dangerous. And Hurst does come straight out and say precisely that. But, Hurst isn't implying that it's unmanageably or inordinately dangerous like Anderson is. Anderson is a champion of rhetoric and he knows how to use connotative meaning to persuade the crowd while waving denotative meaning as his rational basis. He doesn't belong in politics, he should be a pundit. (Actually he should be ignored, but he could be successful as a pundit).
Old 08-29-08, 11:53 PM
J A Holman
Boooga BOO

Bikes: Colnago for road, Fuji for track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crhilton
He attempts to use Robert Hurst's book Art of Cycling as a way to say that cycling is dangerous. And Hurst does come straight out and say precisely that. But, Hurst isn't implying that it's unmanageably or inordinately dangerous like Anderson is. Anderson is a champion of rhetoric and he knows how to use connotative meaning to persuade the crowd while waving denotative meaning as his rational basis. He doesn't belong in politics, he should be a pundit. (Actually he should be ignored, but he could be successful as a pundit).
He isn't a champion of anything but behaving like a bore, a bleeding idiot. There are rednecks in CAlifornia too, it is good that they have representation somewhere beyond the Whitehouse.
Old 08-30-08, 12:18 AM
keiththesnake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just who the heck is Rob Anderson, anyway?
Old 08-30-08, 01:09 AM
tehdely
Huff Puff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um, his campaign is a joke, and he doesn't reasonably expect to get more than 1% of the vote, if that.

He really doesn't give a **** if anyone votes for him, and there's nothing you can do to make him lose that he hasn't already done.

His campaign, just like his lawsuit, is there to make a point, since he's a troll and he wants the attention.

What is this, the 10th thread about Rob?
Old 08-30-08, 11:10 AM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tehdely
Um, his campaign is a joke, and he doesn't reasonably expect to get more than 1% of the vote, if that.

He really doesn't give a **** if anyone votes for him, and there's nothing you can do to make him lose that he hasn't already done.

His campaign, just like his lawsuit, is there to make a point, since he's a troll and he wants the attention.

What is this, the 10th thread about Rob?
I'm sorry, other people seemed to get a kick out of it?
Old 08-31-08, 09:06 AM
ckeizer77
Share the Road

Bikes: Torelli Montefalco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We should just stop giving this guy the time of day... really.
Old 08-31-08, 10:06 AM
Hickeydog
Crushing souls

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't get people who won't do something because "it's dangerous". Okay, jumping out of a 50 story building and stuff like that, I understand. But if you want to be safe, you lock yourself in a padded room that can survive a nuclear strike. Not a great life, but, hey, at least you'll be safe.

What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.
Old 08-31-08, 03:08 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by crhilton
I'm sorry, other people seemed to get a kick out of it?
And it provided a nice update on his continued idiot behaviour.
Thanks for the thread.
For those that don't want to read another RA thread, have you ever considered not opening them?
Old 08-31-08, 03:40 PM
tehdely
Huff Puff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Rob Anderson's "idiot behavior" has been going on for years, and years, and years, yet now that the Wall Street Journal writes about him, everyone feels the need to inveigh on his latest nonsense as it comes up.

News at 11, folks: He's a prolific blogger, and a troll. If you insist on paying him attention and debating his every word, you'll be churning out a thread every day on our dear friend.

Take a look at his blog today and note the 0 comments on nearly every article. The brief spate of national attention he got after that article has disappeared. Isn't it about time that y'all stopped giving him the time of day, too?
Old 08-31-08, 04:37 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rob Anderson's "idiot behavior" has been going on for years, and years, and years, yet now that the Wall Street Journal writes about him, everyone feels the need to inveigh on his latest nonsense as it comes up.

News at 11, folks: He's a prolific blogger, and a troll. If you insist on paying him attention and debating his every word, you'll be churning out a thread every day on our dear friend.

Take a look at his blog today and note the 0 comments on nearly every article. The brief spate of national attention he got after that article has disappeared. Isn't it about time that y'all stopped giving him the time of day, too?
I think for a lot of us, we only first heard of this guy in the past few weeks. I think we can be excused for wanting to talk about him.
Old 08-31-08, 07:57 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the thread.
For those that don't want to read another RA thread, have you ever considered not opening them?
Thank, I feel vindicated . I suppose the title was straightforward.
Old 09-01-08, 12:26 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts

If you do not want to talk about him then don't and stop trolling this thread.

Note, we are not talking to him or posting on his blog, we are talking about him.

If you hate him so much, why do you keep looking at his blog and upping his viewer count?
Old 09-01-08, 12:40 AM
tehdely
Huff Puff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you do not want to talk about him then don't and stop trolling this thread.
Rob's the troll, not me.

Note, we are not talking to him or posting on his blog, we are talking about him.
Fair enough.

If you hate him so much, why do you keep looking at his blog and upping his viewer count?
It took all of this nonsense with the Wall Street Journal to get me to look at his blog for the first time in months, something I'd sworn off of after realizing the utter futility of the exercise. It hasn't changed, and neither has he, except for the fact that he briefly got some (undeserved) attention.

Plus, the point that most seem to be missing, which comes up in all the Rob Anderson threads, is that the solution to the problem he poses is not to hate on Rob Anderson, but to reform the law (CEQA) that he exploited to delay the bike plan. What's stopping all the other Rob Andersons (and there's surely more) from doing the same?

Ah, but we'd rather have a two minutes hate. How useful. Enjoy yourselves.

I'll stay out of the rest of these threads.

Last edited by tehdely; 09-01-08 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-02-08, 01:58 PM
sasquatch2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm talking about the general 'tude exhibited by this politico and all those who spout the same stuff: their argument that bicyclists are trying to impose a way of life on everyone is backwards and that no laws should be passed to protect cycling, no infrastructure should be built. So... abolish the department of transportation, EPA, FBI... we're in charge and nobody should guide public behavior? I'm not for being told what I can and can't do, but I'm glad there are police departments, an EPA and other institutions for the public good.
Old 09-02-08, 02:20 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

Plus, the point that most seem to be missing, which comes up in all the Rob Anderson threads, is that the solution to the problem he poses is not to hate on Rob Anderson, but to reform the law (CEQA) that he exploited to delay the bike plan. What's stopping all the other Rob Andersons (and there's surely more) from doing the same?
What's stopping all the other Rob Andersons? Well hopefully there are not that many Rob Andersons out there... San Francisco does tend to breed the "odd ducks" though. And as far as the law, not too many other states have CEQA (the "C" IS California... does that help).

And last but not least, the whole notion of what Rob Anderson threw up fails the common sense test... therefore not likely to be an issue when a couple ounces of brain are used.
Old 09-02-08, 05:43 PM
tehdely
Huff Puff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
What's stopping all the other Rob Andersons? Well hopefully there are not that many Rob Andersons out there... San Francisco does tend to breed the "odd ducks" though.
There's plenty. Hell, half of this city (out in "The Avenues") is actually quite politically conservative (by California standards) and car-dominated. You think Rob's the only one who doesn't see the logic in taking away car lanes for bikes? Ask any of the people who speed through my neighborhood on Fell/Oak streets to get out to the Sunset district what they think... (I live in the district which Rob is running to represent btw, and it's a very very liberal area. He'll get 1% of the vote, if that)

And as far as the law, not too many other states have CEQA (the "C" IS California... does that help).
Great, CEQA is still the problem, not Rob.

And last but not least, the whole notion of what Rob Anderson threw up fails the common sense test... therefore not likely to be an issue when a couple ounces of brain are used.
I'm guessing the judge who issued the injunction based on Rob's complaint had at least a "couple ounces of brain". The problem is that CEQA defines environmental quality by many standards including the quality of automobile traffic flow (automobile "level of service"). Hence the efforts to refine the law here in San Francisco. And don't think that it's not similar elsewhere...

Rob pointed out that the bike plan could have an impact on traffic flow, which CEQA considers an environmental impact, and made the valid argument that the city's failure to do a thorough environmental impact report on the bike plan was thus in violation of CEQA. A judge agreed. It's not about "common sense"; it's about the law. You can go on being smug; I have to live in a city where you can't even build a new bike rack because the city didn't do its homework and a judge *****-slapped them.

Anyone with any "common sense" should stop paying attention to the troll who brought this issue on and get involved in advocacy to change the definition of environmental impact to stop relying so heavily on automobile level of service.

Last edited by tehdely; 09-02-08 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-02-08, 06:20 PM
genec
genec

Anyone with any "common sense" should stop paying attention to the troll who brought this issue on and get involved in advocacy to change the definition of environmental impact to stop relying so heavily on automobile level of service.
I stand corrected. I did not realize the CEQA wasn't really about improving the environment... (as in air we breath and water we drink) but also about automobile "level of service."

Yup, yet something else subsidized for the auto user.

So what can the ordinary citizen do? Is there a petition or what?
Old 09-03-08, 12:08 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
that level of service metric weighted to autocentrism is troubling.

maybe rob andersons efforts will help restrict autocentric planning guidelines in california.
Old 09-03-08, 12:31 AM
tehdely
Huff Puff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stand corrected. I did not realize the CEQA wasn't really about improving the environment... (as in air we breath and water we drink) but also about automobile "level of service."

Yup, yet something else subsidized for the auto user.
Well, CEQA is about a lot of things, but unfortunately, ALOS is one of the metrics taken into account. Looking back to when the law was enacted, it's no surprise. It's important to keep in mind just how recent the idea that the private automobile isn't the end-all be-all of transportation really is for a lot of lawmakers.

So what can the ordinary citizen do? Is there a petition or what?
Bother your lawmaker, more or less. The San Francisco Bike Coalition has a bunch of resources on "level of service" reform, though some of them are only San Francisco-specific. It'd be good to find out what the regulations in your particular area are like. Laws and planning codes are more frequently copied and pasted between locales than people believe... one of the major victories against auto-centric development in the last few years has been the inclusion of some more "new urbanist" ideas in the manual which is used as the basis for most city's planning codes. There's a lot of progress to be made in a lot of places. The law is always decades behind reality, which means that the law in most places is still stuck in the mindset that the private automobile is, and will always be the #1 priority.

Originally Posted by Bekologist
that level of service metric weighted to autocentrism is troubling.

maybe rob andersons efforts will help restrict autocentric planning guidelines in california.
I agree, which is why I try my best not to hate the guy. Trolls are useful idiots. Internet trolls have been responsible for a whole spate of technological improvements to forum and mailing list software Surely a public-affairs troll can have a similarly adaptive effect on the system he's abusing...
Old 09-03-08, 01:09 AM
RobertHurst

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
[...]
If by common sense you mean what is commonly thought by common idiots, then no it doesn't. Anderson's resentment rings true to many. He's received a great deal of support as some kind of ideological soulbrother of the talk radio crowd. For instance he went on Glenn Beck (talk radio tv) and Beck told him to "keep fighting the good fight." He won't be elected deputy ombudsman in SF but G Bush might call on him to become National Bike Czar.

American politics ain't about sense. Clearly.
Old 09-03-08, 12:19 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by RobertHurst
If by common sense you mean what is commonly thought by common idiots, then no it doesn't. Anderson's resentment rings true to many. He's received a great deal of support as some kind of ideological soulbrother of the talk radio crowd. For instance he went on Glenn Beck (talk radio tv) and Beck told him to "keep fighting the good fight." He won't be elected deputy ombudsman in SF but G Bush might call on him to become National Bike Czar.

American politics ain't about sense. Clearly.
Having heard Beck and read the crap by Anderson (and along similar but very disquieting lines, the stuff from Forester) I have to fully agree with you.

These folks want to live in their cars and feel that anything that supports that mentality is "game on."

Is it any wonder why we are at war in Iraq?