Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Brake Pads - Help Needed

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Brake Pads - Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 12:34 PM
m7ickey

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake Pads - Help Needed

OK, I'm now confused. My brake pads squeak like crazy (front only, not sure why, cleaned, set camber, etc) and wet weather stopping isn't very good. So I went in search of replacements. I have Tektro linear pull brakes on my Giant Escape City. One thing that they don't do very well is list things for Hybrids, everything falls under "road" or "MTB". Anyway, I measured the length of the pad which are approx. 60mm. The bolt is centered on the pad. Almost all replacements I see for v-style brakes have the bolt offset from center. They also measure about 72mm. So now I'm unsure what I need. I was considering this: https://www.ebay.com/p/Kool-Stop-Bic...661&opts=opick

But again, its longer than the stock pads and has a bolt that is offset from center. Does this matter?

These pads are similar to what I currently have: https://www.amazon.com/Flying-Wheels...1375445&sr=1-4

Also, What would you recommend?

If a longer pad with an offset bolt works on my wheels what is the advantage to this design?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mickey
Old 11-22-17, 01:24 PM
jase33

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@m7ickey Are you able to find a model number on the brake assembly somewhere? That would help direct a search for the correct pad. All I remember about Tektro v-brakes is if it has 4 grooves in the pad its "MTB" and if it has 3 grooves it for "Road".
Old 11-22-17, 01:36 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Longer pads work better, IMO, as there is more surface area to come into contact with the rim. I recently bought some inexpensive Jagwire Mountain Sport 72mm pads and they were a definite improvement over the stock pads on my Tektro brakes.

My brakes squeal a little bit too, but over time it's gotten better. In the past I've adjusted my brake pads using two business cards and they still squealed. I don't bother any more.

If you want better stopping power in wet conditions get the salmon colored pads. I never ride in the rain so I just buy the cheap stuff and it works great.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 11-22-17 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-22-17, 07:43 PM
m7ickey

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Figured out what to buy and that longer pads are ok for a hybrid as long as clearance issues are ok which I'm hoping they are since these are 18mm longer than installed ones. I got these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kool-Stop-D...gAAOSwVlVaAjVz

I have these (and had to laugh at the no squealing guarantee):Yiwu Rock Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd

My number one hope is better breaking in wet conditions, reviews are excellent, squealing is secondary concern. Coming home this morning in the rain is what convinced me to look around.
Old 11-22-17, 09:21 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
You can't beat Kool Stop Salmon!