Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Someone was looking out for the cyclist I came so close to hitting

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 12:51 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts

This morning, after dropping off my cycling partner at metro stop. I was returning to the house to unload our tandem from a weekend cycling trip. I was at an light controlled intersection where the majority of vehicles in the left lane where I was make a left turn into the eastbound lanes of a 4 lane main road. The right lane at the intersection is marked for right turns only. I was going straight across to get to an access road on the other side of the intersection. The light turned green and I began to proceed straight into the intersection. A cyclist, on a road bike, in jersey and lycra, perhaps a commuter, appeared from my right making a left turn in front of me! I was able to stop and not hit him even though I had the right of way. I know he wanted to hit the light and not lose momentum but he came very close to making a injurious/deadly choice by not realizing that not everyone in that lane turns left. I realize even if he looked at the rear of my vehicle (which I doubt he did) and didn't see an activated left turn signal flashing he still may have gambled that I was going to turn left as probably 99% of the cars do at that time of day at that intersection. I was shaken, furious, while simultaneously thankful I didn't hit the guy.

I hate to lose momentum and I try to hit the green lights too. Cycling infrastructure in my area is inadequate but I just don't get the risks that some cyclists take. I don't want to hit nor be hit but it will be hard to shed tears or argue in defense of people who cycle recklessly. Had I hit the guy, I wouldn't have been surprised that, even though I had the right of way (straight across intersection on a green light), that he (or his estate) would have been able to shake down my insurance for a settlement but that's for lawyers to argue about in some other forum.
Old 08-07-18, 01:51 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have read your post several times, and still can't picture in my mind exactly what happened. I feel so dumb. Sorry.

EDIIT: OK I read it again. Sounds like the cyclist went out of the traffic lane, and then passed you on the right, then tried to cut you off while making a left turn in front of you, while you were going straight.

Sounds like a complete idiot to me. No one can control that kind of stupidity, it's a force of nature.

Last edited by Colnago Mixte; 08-07-18 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 08:30 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
That's why it's better for a cyclist to take the turn in the lane. If virtually everyone goes left, I can see the cyclist making the mistake of assuming you were turning as well, but I think taking a turn on the outside of a vehicle carries too much potential danger in any case. If he was in the lane, either behind you or in front of you, it would not have been a problem. I suspect he won't make that mistake again.
Old 08-08-18, 11:06 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
I hate to lose momentum and I try to hit the green lights too. Cycling infrastructure in my area is inadequate but I just don't get the risks that some cyclists take. I don't want to hit nor be hit but it will be hard to shed tears or argue in defense of people who cycle recklessly. Had I hit the guy, I wouldn't have been surprised that, even though I had the right of way (straight across intersection on a green light), that he (or his estate) would have been able to shake down my insurance for a settlement but that's for lawyers to argue about in some other forum.
I know you for a regular reader and contributor to this forum so I know you and I have read the same posts that appear here with regularity of drivers injuring, killing, cyclists and it is shown to be their fault without doubt, distraction the chief culprit. Nevertheless you are aware of the scant penalty these drivers suffer and you are convinced that you would have been dealt with harshly though well within your rights to cream the scofflaw cyclist that abrogated your right of way. Hmmm. Let it go. Spit happens. Every day. Seriously. This can't be the first time something sideways has happened to you in traffic. Maybe its the first time it has been a cyclist on the active end of it. Just shows how decent, overall, that most cyclists are. And makes the point very definitely that the exceptions are not worth the carrying a grudge.

There is also this: I don't know where you ride, but even here in ultra bike aware (not friendly) Portland, on all roads, but especially those striped for bikes, a bike making a left turn and trying to do it from the left side of the road will be heckled by four drivers in 10. It really ingrains the behavior to stay to the right of the road as long as possible and then make your left right at the corner. Most times I ignore the heckling and take the lane and set up for the turn just like any other vehicle would, but there you are ...
Old 08-08-18, 03:17 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
You were looking out for the cyclist and you did a great job. I hope the cyclist understands his mistake.
Old 08-08-18, 03:30 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Passing a car on the right when you intend to turn left is crazy. You would not do that driving and you should never do that on a bike. In every case that I am making a left turn from any lane that also goes straight, I will be in the middle of the lane so no motorists will be tempted to pass and go straight. Cyclist should have shifted behind you. Crazy, crazy, crazy. I wonder if he or she learned something (like FRAP is not always appropriate)
Old 08-09-18, 09:27 AM
DaveZ
DeadheadDave

Bikes: 1 Trek road bike, 1 Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious, did the bicyclist signal?
He must have assumed that every driver was turning left.
Old 08-10-18, 12:49 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveZ
Just curious, did the bicyclist signal?
He must have assumed that every driver was turning left.
I did not notice a signal as he was hammering out into the intersection. Had he signaled, i wouldn't have noticed as I didn't notice not expect someone to turn to the left from my right side.

I made the same trip yesterday at about the same time and was on the lookout for the cyclist but didn't see him. While waiting at the same intersection I took a picture which I attempted to attach to this post. After crossing and getting on the access road, I stopped for a moment to see how many cars used their signal for the left turn. In my unscientific survey, surprisingly about 80% of the cars used their signal for the left turn but.......most of those turned on the signal at the last moment.
Old 08-10-18, 03:54 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
... I was shaken, furious, while simultaneously thankful I didn't hit the guy.
I know exactly how you feel. The experience will hopefully make you and the cyclist a better participant in traffic whether on 2 or 4 wheels, but I'm guessing only you are circumspect and conscientious enough to benefit from it.

I don't think I would have anticipated a move like that either. When driving or riding or just living life, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.