Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Acquaintance is victim of Hit and Run, left on side of road

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-19, 08:44 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

My sister’s husband’s brother is a cyclist. He is a daily commuter in Winston-Salem, NC and was in a hit and run incident last night. He’s unconscious and in ICU. A super concerned lady saw his bike lights and him lying on the side of the road, stopped, called 911 and stayed with him to the hospital.

Here are links to the story and a video of him talking about riding. He’s what I’d call a pure rider. One of the officers that responded used to ride with him on weekends. I’m hoping traffic cameras will reveal who hit him.

I’ve known Robert for almost 50 years. He is a really tough guy and might just need all that strength to get through this one.

https://www.journalnow.com/news/colu...235d77838.html

https://vimeo.com/278227215

Old 03-26-19, 08:58 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
That makes me so angry.

I cannot imagine hitting a person and leaving him or her injured on the side of the road.

That takes a special kind of (fill in the blanks) person.

I hope he burns in Hell.
Old 03-26-19, 09:01 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
@jppe, your friend sounds like the kind of guy I would love to ride with.

The Campy Delta brakes look fantastic, even in the dark.

I hope for a full and speedy recovery.

Thank you for sharing the video.
Old 03-26-19, 09:04 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Wow! I just can’t believe some people. Best wishes to y’all’s family and I hope for a full recovery!
Old 03-26-19, 09:04 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
That was a great profile video... I feel like I know him too. My wish is for strength and justice to him.
Old 03-26-19, 09:34 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
That's terrible. So sorry to hear this. I hope he starts recovery soon.
Old 03-26-19, 10:22 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Great video, I hope he keeps on commuting since he enjoys it so much, but I'd understand if he stops or cuts back out of concern for his family.
Old 03-26-19, 11:46 PM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Hope all the best for your friend it can be hard commuting on a bike. Had the same thing happen to me about 4 months ago leaving work one night and got hit by a driver doing about 40 miles a hours and just take off left me pretty messed up broken neck with 5 bones and fusion surgery.but as hard as it was to heal back on the bike and still commute to work its a hard thing to give up riding.just pay alot more attention now and mounted some mirrors so I can monitor my rear a little bit now
Old 03-27-19, 06:09 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Sorry to hear this, it’s especially hard with someone you know. Hope he pulls thru.

Had a local killed 2 weeks ago on a road I’ve ridden dozens of times and is used by hundreds of cyclists on the weekends. Didn’t know him, but could have been me in that place and that time.

They need to to throw the book at people who kill others and drive away. The cops and DA’s all too often just don’t go after people as hard as they can. No plea deals, make them do a jury trial.
Old 03-27-19, 06:49 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Praying for his recovery, and comfort for the family during this difficult time.
Old 03-28-19, 04:52 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
It’s difficult to imagine what goes through the mind of a driver who leaves someone injured by the roadside. I wonder if that’s ever been studied: the calculation they must make in order to disregard the welfare of another. I hope they catch the person but most of all I hope your friend recovers.
Old 03-28-19, 05:24 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I almost wish I had not watched the video of the guy, he seems like practically a modern-day saint of cycling. Rode a fixed gear too, totally hard core. I know if I were him, all I would be thinking about is recovering and getting back out there on a bike again. I hope he gets his wish. And the driver is brought to justice and punished publicly and to great excess, as an example to others who might be tempted to nearly kill someone and leave them to die on the side of the road.
Old 03-28-19, 06:33 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
My sister’s husband’s brother is a cyclist. He is a daily commuter in Winston-Salem, NC and was in a hit and run incident last night. He’s unconscious and in ICU. A super concerned lady saw his bike lights and him lying on the side of the road, stopped, called 911 and stayed with him to the hospital.

Here are links to the story and a video of him talking about riding. He’s what I’d call a pure rider. One of the officers that responded used to ride with him on weekends. I’m hoping traffic cameras will reveal who hit him.

I’ve known Robert for almost 50 years. He is a really tough guy and might just need all that strength to get through this one

https://www.journalnow.com/news/columnists/scott_sexton/cyclist-fighting-for-life-after-second-hit-and-run-crash/article_18e9b056-413c-53d4-bee5-9a6235d77838.html

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I almost wish I had not watched the video of the guy, he seems like practically a modern-day saint of cycling. Rode a fixed gear too, totally hard core.

I know if I were him, all I would be thinking about is recovering and getting back out there on a bike again. I hope he gets his wish.

And the driver is brought to justice and punished publicly and to great excess, as an example to others who might be tempted to nearly kill someone and leave them to die on the side of the road.
Hi @jppe,

My most sincere dittoes to all the above posts. I couldn't view that video from my current location.

Perhaps you may recall that I sent you a (belated) post after your own cycling accident, with reference to my own hit-and-run encounter and an inspiring tale of recovery (My assailant got jail time.).
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...I had intentions of sending you this story after I read of your injury, but you know how it goes ...especially to find it in the archives.

In any case I'm moved to post it here, as I have done for other subscribers who sustained serious injuries, FYA:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
….Here’s a rehab story I learned of, almost as a mystical experience. It's also about trauma, but IMO holds out the hope of healing when things seem bleak.

When I was about two weeks into my hospital stay, I was watching …[follow the link]

This episode gave me a first glimmer of hope that I would be on the bike again.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-28-19 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-28-19, 08:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
my cousin's nephew (from her "other" side of the family) that i don't know personally, a middle schooler, was struck by a car & put in a drug induced coma to help with the healing. maybe they can treat your sister’s husband’s brother the same way. best wishes
Old 03-28-19, 08:05 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Hard to even respond when people are this disgusting. Jppe, please let your brother-in-law know his family is in the minds of many concerned and caring people.

Prayers and peace. Doug
Old 03-28-19, 08:22 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 3,026 Posts
Very well spoken and cool guy. I hope he makes it back in fact he will make it back.
Old 03-28-19, 09:16 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
That makes me so angry.
I cannot imagine hitting a person and leaving him or her injured on the side of the road.
That takes a special kind of (fill in the blanks) person.
I hope he burns in Hell.
The sociopaths of the world, according to my reading on the subject by psychologists, number about 3% of the population. One characteristic of such people is that they care nothing for anyone but themselves. It is not too surprising that such people drive carelessly and then drive off after running someone down, so as not to be inconvenienced.
Old 03-28-19, 09:50 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
What a guy! Just the kind of person you want to hang with. I hope he gets better, and soon.

Hit and run drivers belong in jail ... the really is NO excuse, even if they are a "scared kid." And getting away with something like this requires a conspiracy of silence. I hope someone does the right thing and drops a dime on whoever it is, and that they spend significant time in jail for it.

Old 03-28-19, 10:21 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts

I’ve known Robert for almost 50 years. He is a really tough guy and might just need all that strength to get through this one.

https://www.journalnow.com/news/colu...235d77838.html

Hi jppe - very sad and I hope your friend makes a very speedy recovery. Not to be a nit-picker, but noticed in the otherwise very enjoyable video, he does not appear to use a mirror and at about 3:15 min into the video he moves out of the bike lane, without looking behind and giving no hand signal to the vehicle approaching from behind.. Not good practice IMHO.
Old 03-28-19, 12:07 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
My sympathies and prayers are with your friend.
I lost a cycling friend Jan 11th this year. Some ****er rear-ended him and killed him on the spot.
Jon
Old 03-29-19, 12:36 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Thank you for posting. This scenario is what scares all of us.

Every injury hit-and-run should carry a stiffer penalty than an injury DUI -- too often the motorist will hide out until he dries out.

I am also very concerned about the rise in motorist distractions -- everything from cell phones to navigation aids to those damnably distracting touch screen controls Tesla and others insist on installing. Give me good old-fashioned tactile buttons, knobs, and switches that I can operate without averting my gaze from the road. Distracted drivers are worse than drunk, drugged, or stoned drivers, because they outnumber them.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-29-19, 02:30 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

For those that followed the thread on Rowan’s head injury know how each head injury situation and recovery is different. Robert is hanging in there but remains unconscious. There are small indicators of improvement but also setbacks. Time will tell.

No one has come forward yet to accept responsibility but I’m betting they’ll determine who did it.
Old 03-29-19, 04:23 PM
dicktill

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
<snip> A super concerned lady saw his bike lights and him lying on the side of the road, stopped, called 911 <snip>
My best wishes and prayers for your friend Robert.

The scenario of lying in a ditch unconscious and no one seeing you is a good reason to use the free ROAD ID app, which will send a text to up to five people if you don't move for five minutes (you can override that if you intentionally stop). The text will include your position. https://www.roadid.com/pages/road-id-app A ROAD ID bracelet ain't a bad idea either.
Old 04-05-19, 05:34 AM
car knocker
Bicyclist

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
How is he doing?

Any word on him?
Old 04-05-19, 12:42 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by car knocker
Any word on him?
Robert remains unconscious. You might have seen my other post where they now have a suspect, they found the car but are still searching for the driver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.