Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are these genuine Continental tubes???

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 09:40 PM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Bikes: (1) Giant TCR racing bike, Ultegra/DuraAce groupo. (2) Kastle TT bike, Ultegra groupo.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I bought a pack of 4 Continental tubes on Amazon. I'm wondering... I thought Conti tubes were made in Germany? See attached pics. Do these look legit? They just came in a clear plastic bag, no box...
Old 06-13-19, 09:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I just came across an old tube of mine. Continental, made in Taiwan. The days of making anything other than perhaps the finest line of tubulars in Europe are long gone. (But at least, Continental has now gone "continental". My Continental tube was made on an island.

Ben
Old 06-13-19, 10:05 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Every Conti tube I ever bought came with a yellow valve cap.
Old 06-14-19, 12:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Those fonts look identical to a couple of old CST tubes I have -- same use of serif and sans serif, italics, etc. But with the CST logo rather than Continental. And these tubes have shorter brass colored stems. Maybe Continental licenses another manufacturer to make some tubes.

I just opened a box for a Continental Race Light tube. Totally different fonts and logo. Made in Taiwan. Black cap on the valve stem.

I have several Continental tires. Country manufacturers range from Germany to Indonesia to Taiwan to China. Conti seems to still make their top shelf tires in Germany.
Old 06-14-19, 04:17 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Ok, I bought a bunch of Conti tubes from Merlin 6 months ago. Black Butyl Rubber.

Cross 28, (25/35) boxed, "Made in China" printed on box and tubes. White lettering. Black cap. Stepped nut.

Race 28, (18/25) bagged, "Made in China" printed on tubes. White lettering. Black Cap. Stepped nut.

I thought I had a couple of Conti tubes of unknown age/providence with yellow lettering, and a bit more texture to the tubes. I'll see if I can find one.
Old 06-14-19, 04:29 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Apart from the cap (which is probably from the seller buying in bulk/OEM rather than boxed retail packaging), why do you think they are not the real thing?

Would go back and look at the Amazon description, as they will probably be described as loose, for the being made in, almost everything is made in CN/nearer the supply of rubber.

If you don't want them, send them back, and go to a LBS and buy retail boxed ones for more.
Old 06-14-19, 04:56 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
I have some Race 28 that look just like that. Boxed, bought from the LBS, with black caps. They look legit to me!
Old 06-14-19, 07:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Continental is headquartered in Germany. Doesn't mean they make their stuff in Germany.
Old 06-14-19, 08:06 AM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Bikes: (1) Giant TCR racing bike, Ultegra/DuraAce groupo. (2) Kastle TT bike, Ultegra groupo.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the posts, y'all--very helpful!

Originally Posted by canklecat
Those fonts look identical to a couple of old CST tubes I have -- same use of serif and sans serif, italics, etc. But with the CST logo rather than Continental. And these tubes have shorter brass colored stems. Maybe Continental licenses another manufacturer to make some tubes. I just opened a box for a Continental Race Light tube. Totally different fonts and logo. Made in Taiwan. Black cap on the valve stem. I have several Continental tires. Country manufacturers range from Germany to Indonesia to Taiwan to China. Conti seems to still make their top shelf tires in Germany.
Thanks for the info. Interesting that CST is using identical lettering. It may well be that Conti has contracted out some of the mfr to CST. Do the CSTs have removable valve cores, like the Contis? Just wondering.

Originally Posted by ChinookTx
I have some Race 28 that look just like that. Boxed, bought from the LBS, with black caps. They look legit to me!
Thanks for your post ! This is the most reassuring post. If yours were boxed and purchased at a LBS, they are probably authentic.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Ok, I bought a bunch of Conti tubes from Merlin 6 months ago. Black Butyl Rubber.
  • Cross 28, (25/35) boxed, "Made in China" printed on box and tubes. White lettering. Black cap. Stepped nut.
  • Race 28, (18/25) bagged, "Made in China" printed on tubes. White lettering. Black Cap. Stepped nut.
I thought I had a couple of Conti tubes of unknown age/providence with yellow lettering, and a bit more texture to the tubes. I'll see if I can find one.
What's a 'stepped nut'? Is that the sort of nut that I showed in my photo? I looked at some pictures of 'stepped nut' online, and it looks like that would be a nut that has two or more different diameters to it (i.e. not just a simple cylinder, in this case). If that's what a stepped nut is, then my tubes have stepped nuts. Thanks for the info .

CliffordK and jimc101 both mentioned tubes that were in bags rather than boxes, I guess this is normal practice, that Conti sells in bulk to dealers rather than boxing them all first.

All in all, I feel a LOT more confident that these tubes are genuine. My main concern was that they were made in China, and bagged, not boxed. But, apparently, both of those are not a problem--Conti has contracted the mfr to multiple factories all over Asia and Conti sells them in bulk to dealers. And, finally, ChinookTx compared them to boxed tubes purchased at a LBS and found them identical.

So, thanks again to everyone who posted. I love this website!

Last edited by dglevy; 06-14-19 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-14-19, 09:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rubber trees don't grow well in the northern climates , they are tropical plants..
Old 06-14-19, 10:33 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by dglevy
What's a 'stepped nut'? Is that the sort of nut that I showed in my photo? I looked at some pictures of 'stepped nut' online, and it looks like that would be a nut that has two or more different diameters to it (i.e. not just a simple cylinder, in this case). If that's what a stepped nut is, then my tubes have stepped nuts. Thanks for the info .
I think that little step to the nut is specific to Continental. My interpretation is that if you have a rim drilled for Schrader, you can turn the small diameter part of the nut towards the rim to help fill the oversized valve hole.

But, in general, it doesn't do much.

As far as tires, I think the tan sidewall cross-hatch tires (gators, gator hardshell, 4S, 4000, etc) tires are all made in Europe.

However, the black sidewall tires such as the Continental Sport tires are Asian imports.

I still have to find a Continental Tube with yellow writing, and a little rougher surface, but I'd guess those would be European made, but may well be discontinued.

I can understand your dismay, expecting a European manufactured product, and receiving something that may well be made in the same factory as Kenda, and every other brand tube.

I wonder what they sell in Germany.
Old 06-14-19, 11:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Schwalbe has them too .... centers the stem in a schrader sized rim hole...
Old 06-14-19, 11:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
So what if it is made in the same factory? Even here in the USA there are factories that make products for other completely separate companies to sell under their own name. The factory doing so frequently makes the products to the individual specification of each different company. So they really can't be considered the same products just because they came from the same source. Quality is maintained or not maintained by the specifications made by the company that is contracting with the actual factory making the product.
Old 06-14-19, 03:57 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
My favorite tubes are made in... Indonesia. I don't care where the factory is, or if the workers look like me. I'll happily pay for good tubes.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-14-19, 06:55 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Rubber trees don't grow well in the northern climates , they are tropical plants..
I suspect most tubes come out of a barrel of oil now days
Old 06-17-19, 12:25 PM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think that little step to the nut is specific to Continental. My interpretation is that if you have a rim drilled for Schrader, you can turn the small diameter part of the nut towards the rim to help fill the oversized valve hole. But, in general, it doesn't do much.
As far as tires, I think the tan sidewall cross-hatch tires (gators, gator hardshell, 4S, 4000, etc) tires are all made in Europe. However, the black sidewall tires such as the Continental Sport tires are Asian imports. I still have to find a Continental Tube with yellow writing, and a little rougher surface, but I'd guess those would be European made, but may well be discontinued.
I can understand your dismay, expecting a European manufactured product, and receiving something that may well be made in the same factory as Kenda, and every other brand tube. I wonder what they sell in Germany.
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Schwalbe has them too .... centers the stem in a schrader sized rim hole...
Thanks for the additional info

I'm not actually dismayed about the factories being Asia, I was just concerned about counterfeiting. I bought some 'Eveready' button batteries on Amazon and it turned out they weren't fresh retail batteries and probably weren't Eveready either. (One of the many reasons I call the company Scamazon...)

I always wondered why some of those nuts are stepped and some aren't. Now I know why, thanks. (I had that situation with my commuter bike, didn't know I could just used a stepped nut, bought some small aluminum spacers to adapt schrader rims to presta tubes instead--they worked fine.)
Likes For dglevy:
Old 06-17-19, 12:35 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I thought that the Conti tubes came with the removable Presta valve.
Old 06-17-19, 12:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

maybe if you specify your dealer order them.. thru regular distribution

Thus, not so prone to faux sources, as thru Amazon .. as you say..

Old 06-18-19, 01:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by dglevy
...Interesting that CST is using identical lettering. It may well be that Conti has contracted out some of the mfr to CST. Do the CSTs have removable valve cores, like the Contis?...
Nope, at least not the CST tubes I have. The core is not removable. At least it's not designed for a core removal tool. It might be possible to remove the core using pliers, or to file the threads flat to accommodate a core tool. I might try that on an old CST tube that's been patched too many times. (I tend to reuse tubes until they have about half a dozen patches.)
Old 06-19-19, 09:37 AM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
I thought that the Conti tubes came with the removable presta valve.
Originally Posted by canklecat
Nope, at least not the CST tubes I have. The core is not removable. At least it's not designed for a core removal tool. It might be possible to remove the core using pliers, or to file the threads flat to accommodate a core tool. I might try that on an old CST tube that's been patched too many times. (I tend to reuse tubes until they have about half a dozen patches.)
I had at least one Conti tube before these bagged ones. I'm pretty sure I bought it at a LBS and it had a removable valve core just like these ones*. All you need to remove it is needle nose pliers to unscrew it; the thread are shaved off on the sides so it's easy to grip.

*I remember very clearly b/c I didn't know about removable cores at the time and thought I had gotten a flat when, in fact, the core had merely become slightly unscrewed--which I only figured out after removing the tube from the tire and putting it under water to find the 'puncture'...
Old 06-19-19, 10:24 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Yeah, I had a persistent leak in a new Schrader tube that turned out to be due to a loose valve core. Now I check 'em first before using. One of my mini-pumps includes a Presta valve core tool.

Supposedly screw-on air pump chucks can loosen valve cores, but so far I haven't had that problem.
Old 06-20-19, 12:43 AM
rollalongnow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
Continental is headquartered in Germany. Doesn't mean they make their stuff in Germany.
Indeed. Their site will tell you which products are made in Germany. Only their top products are still made in Germany. I think my tubes said Taiwan. I use “Top Contact IIs” for tires and they are made in Germany.
Old 06-20-19, 01:15 AM
lexicooper914

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I am a genius