Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Premium Valve Cores

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Premium Valve Cores

Old 06-16-19, 10:46 PM
kovacsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Premium Valve Cores

Hi, Does anyone know of inner tube Shrader valve cores that do not leak air? Seems most cores leak air to a small degree, as I have to pump my tires every ride. Just wondering if there are cores on the market that are best at holding the air. Thanks!
Old 06-16-19, 11:04 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,645 Times in 4,054 Posts
Originally Posted by kovacsa
Hi, Does anyone know of inner tube Shrader valve cores that do not leak air? Seems most cores leak air to a small degree, as I have to pump my tires every ride. Just wondering if there are cores on the market that are best at holding the air. Thanks!
Every ride? How many days on average between rides?

Leaky cores happen occasionally but not all that much. Have you sprayed soapy water on the valve after topping off the air, or dunked the valve underwater in your tub or pool to see if the valve is indeed leaking?

Are we talking tubes or tubeless here?
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-16-19, 11:33 PM
kovacsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Every ride? How many days on average between rides?

Leaky cores happen occasionally but not all that much. Have you sprayed soapy water on the valve after topping off the air, or dunked the valve underwater in your tub or pool to see if the valve is indeed leaking?

Are we talking tubes or tubeless here?
Hey, We're talking tubes here. Standard inner tubes on standard tires. If I fill the tire to 70-75 psi, the next day after a ride, it might be down to 60-65. I don't think tires should drop in pressure that much after a ride and overnight. Yeah, I know the trick of dunking the tube in water. I didn't find any leaks. It seem to be an issue with any tube I've used to date (different brands, etc).
Old 06-17-19, 12:12 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Have you considered using Presta valve tubes? Schreader valves are adopted from automobile use at much lower pressures. Presta valce were designed for high bicycle pressures (and are easier to pump with hand pumps because you don't have to pump against a spring. (Also there's no loss of air when you pull the pump off. You will hear a hiss but that is air in the pump or hose, not the tube.)

With rims for Schraeder, you will need an adopter to use Presta. (Not ideal, but ordinary washers have been used for the job. Sheldon Brwn's website might be a good place to look for those adopters.

Ben
Old 06-17-19, 12:15 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
How do you know the valves are leaking?
Old 06-17-19, 12:33 AM
kovacsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
How do you know the valves are leaking?
Well, I can't say a 100% that it's the cores. I can only tell by the pressure loss overnight and after rides. Seems the mostly likely culprit considering I can't find leaks on the tube itself. (Using the bubble test). I've tried tightening the cores by screwing them in as best they'll go.
Old 06-17-19, 12:35 AM
kovacsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, Do you have the link for the site you mentioned? I was considering Presta, but my rims are Schrader. I have a feeling that Presta is better at keeping the pressure.
Old 06-17-19, 12:49 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Sounds like you have a slow leak in the tube. You may may to overfill the tube to see it in a bubble test. You may also have a small shard of glass, a thorn or a wire fragment in your tire causing the slow leak, check the inside of your tires carefully. IF the valve is leaking that would have showed up in a bubble test as well.

The most like cause of valve cores failing I found is when the tube has a sealant inside it and it gums up the core.

Old 06-17-19, 03:45 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
I too have to pump my bikes with schrader valves more often than those with presta. But not as much as You, twice a month vs once a month. Dunlop valves are a good alternative too since they use the same hole diameter. In my experience the new version without the rubber seal is as good as presta in holding pressure.
Old 06-17-19, 08:37 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Remember, rubber is a very porous material and by nature, the air molecules leak out of the inner tube. That's just the way it is and there's nothing you can do about it unless you know how to change the laws of physics AND Mother Nature.
Jon
Old 06-17-19, 08:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I add the schrader to presta conversion sleeves .. of aluminum..

My Trekking bike came with a very nice Mavic made adapter .. of plastic, that snapped into the larger hole..

Advantage ; P/V, the little nut pulls the valve seat up.. no return spring pulls the valve up..
air pressure differential inside pushes it closed.

Premium valve core? how about just a new one ? auto parts/tire store..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-17-19 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-17-19, 08:56 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I haven't come across too many faulty Schrader valves in my 60yrs lifetime and very odd that you're having multiple leaking valves. Since you haven't found any leaks even from dunking in water it may be you don't have any. Some other things to consider are if you're checking the pressure with a gauge you are losing some air each time you push the gauge on the valve giving you progressively lower readings. Do you inflate with a gauge on your pump and then take pressure measurements with a different gauge the next day? The gauges may not be calibrated the same. And as previously mentioned tubes bleed air over time. Lighter weight tubes more so and also different brands can bleed more than others.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 06-17-19 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-17-19, 09:31 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Do your car tires have to be reinflated regularly?

Not likely, nor do the tens of millions of others in service.

Most cores do not leak air to a small degree.
Old 06-17-19, 10:00 AM
AnkleWork

Top quality Schrader cores are available from aircraft supply sources -- precisely made with teflon seals and strong springs. Good luck.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 06-17-19 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-17-19, 10:11 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
70-75 psi is the threshold where a small pressure drop is normal by the next day. And are you sure you're not just noticing the small amount of pressure lost when you pull off the hose? After pumping, try putting the pump head back on and seeing what your gauge reads. You might be surprised.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-17-19, 10:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
I've not had any issues with presta or schrader valve cores no matter how cheap the tube I use. Rubber is permeable to air. The thinner the tube the quicker it'll lose air.

I've heard that latex tubes will loose air quicker than butyl. Some have said they have to pump them up every day. Don't know personally as butyl tubes are fine for me at the moment. And butyl tubes tend to go five to seven days without needing a top-off.
Old 06-17-19, 10:28 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Have you considered using Presta valve tubes? Schreader valves are adopted from automobile use at much lower pressures. Presta valce were designed for high bicycle pressures (and are easier to pump with hand pumps because you don't have to pump against a spring. (Also there's no loss of air when you pull the pump off. You will hear a hiss but that is air in the pump or hose, not the tube.)
I don't think that most of that is true. Schrader valves are found lots of places besides relatively low pressure automobile tires. Trucks, for instance commonly use around 100psi tire pressure and they use Schrader valves. How about your home air conditioner? Lots higher pressure and they are expected to not leak at all. The pumping against the spring is something else that's never made sense to me. Every Schrader chuck I've ever seen has a little finger that depresses the spring. Losing air when you remove the chuck, however, is an issue that I do believe in. I just don't think you lose very much unless you're a real klutz.

IF YOU HAVE AN AIR COMPRESSOR, Schrader valves beat Prestas all day long. Schrader valves can use a chuck that just pushes against, rather than threads onto, the valve stem. I can inflate a Schrader valve tire while I'm still messing with the Presta chuck.
Old 06-17-19, 10:35 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Mountain bike shocks use schrader valves and are pumped over 200 psi.
Old 06-17-19, 10:57 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I don't think that most of that is true. Schrader valves are found lots of places besides relatively low pressure automobile tires. Trucks, for instance commonly use around 100psi tire pressure and they use Schrader valves. How about your home air conditioner? Lots higher pressure and they are expected to not leak at all. The pumping against the spring is something else that's never made sense to me. Every Schrader chuck I've ever seen has a little finger that depresses the spring. Losing air when you remove the chuck, however, is an issue that I do believe in. I just don't think you lose very much unless you're a real klutz.

IF YOU HAVE AN AIR COMPRESSOR, Schrader valves beat Prestas all day long. Schrader valves can use a chuck that just pushes against, rather than threads onto, the valve stem. I can inflate a Schrader valve tire while I'm still messing with the Presta chuck.
You have presta valves that require threading the chuck onto the valve stem? How strange, I've never seen one.
Old 06-17-19, 11:00 AM
AnkleWork

+1
And 4,000 psi hydraulic systems.
Old 06-17-19, 11:01 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts

You have presta valves that require threading the chuck onto the valve stem? I've never seen one. I get your press on compressor tip... But the other part I don't.
Old 06-17-19, 12:43 PM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
They are used in air-conditioning units that have a lot higher pressure and don't leak. Your problem is elsewhere.
Old 06-17-19, 01:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Plenty of press-on presta chucks are available. I've never used a screw-on presta chuck with a compressor, only with some ol' Lezyne floor pump.
Old 06-17-19, 01:25 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

When I'm a bike mechanic, I typically prefer presta. So much easier to get the air out of a tube when a customer gets new tires, or moves tires and tubes to a new set of wheels.

At home It doesn't matter much to me. I like schraeder tubeless valves a little better than presta, since the orifice is bigger, so tire beads are a little easier to set.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-17-19 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 04:07 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by baconshakes
This is an old wives' tale (Shrader [sic] valves only being good for low pressure) that is belied by the fact that MTB shocks have successfully used Shrader [sic] valves for much higher pressure applications (200+ psi) for decades.
"Schrader"
(citation)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.