Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 03:53 PM
Amazingrace

Bikes: Specialized Dolce, Marin mtn bike, Terry Precision, Groceries Clunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Fraidy Cat" when iit comes to snow

Originally Posted by dr1445
signing on today, i was old slow and in the way, no i am just older, slow and in the way. i have been riding since oct 09, getting in about 50-60 freezing cold miles a week but i am thankful the roads have been mostly snow free here in ct. i am riding an ancient 1972 puch, 8spd triple with flat and bars and a trek 800 snow bike.
Dear Dr1445,
Surely there has been snow by now where you are in CT. We just got another slush pile here yesterday in NYC.

I turned 68 in December (which I don't mind since 68 is the new 48) but the odometer so far in 2010 currently reads a pitiful 46 on my Specialized Dolce comp. I have done more miles on the stationary bike in the gym than I can ever remember doing in the dead of winter. I'm willing to go out in temps as low as 30, but the snow and subsequent ice that freezes on our NYC roads, even in Central Park, scares me. I've fallen enough over the years & don't want the ice (which inevitably shows up ih the middle of the streets, as well as the sides, since shovelers push snow out away from their curbs & cars).

You all are such inspirational geezers -- can you help this geezer find a way to ride outdoors?
Old 02-17-10, 11:35 PM
theyorkieterror
theyorkieterror

Bikes: Mongoose

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lead,follow or step aside

Can we say, carry on and peddle on. Age is just a number in time. First man to die (without permission) wins.
2 kinds of ships at sea, targets and submarines
Old 02-18-10, 08:36 PM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
i built up this old trek 800 18". i should be on a 20" but for snow riding with ancient legs a little closer to the ground doesn't seem to hurt things. the roads have been mostly clear with short snow falls like in the pic. the pic is after 8 miles in the snow with no problems other than having to push the 2" wide knobby tires. it helps to only use the rear brake so you don't wash out the front end and keep your speed down. if you are really worried about traction you can go studded tires. note that the seat is higher than the bars, keeping the weight bias forward and the wheel well planted. i have done 10+ miles on this set up no problem, except for cold toes.

Last edited by dr1445; 02-19-10 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-19-10, 06:25 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does snow hang up in the finders and mess you up?

You put hot water in the bottle rack?
Old 02-19-10, 08:07 AM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

i started the season without fenders, but a back full of sand and salt quickly changed my mind. generally the winter winds are always a head wind no mater which point of the compass i ride, the constant wind is more of a problem than snow packed fenders. during the last snow the wind was silent, with no road noise, just gliding along in a relative white silence. perhaps if i started with hot water it might be handy to defrost any frozen parts.
Old 02-19-10, 09:08 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't life wonderful.

Gliding along in a Winter Wonder Land.

I think the hot water will freeze faster then cold water!

On my city and touring bikes I have racks on the back that keep the water off my back.
Old 02-19-10, 09:45 AM
dr1445

my first attempt at a rear fender was a large plastic laundry soap jug, cut down with the neck attached to the seat post via hose clamps. it helped but not enough, so i splurged on fenders. i am happy with the compromise.
Old 02-19-10, 02:14 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
I find that fenders without mud flaps don't keep the chain and bottom bracket clean. Blumels used to come with mudflaps, but now I make them out of milk bottles, and attach them with duct tape.
Old 02-19-10, 08:53 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are going to take it inside then just wash it. If you can find a hose that runs.

What this I read about never using WD40 on your running gear??? I have been using for ever!
Old 02-20-10, 05:46 AM
dr1445

i use a bucket of hot water, and walmart spray lube to displace the water on the chain, otherwise the next day you will find rust on the chain. that was before fenders and with a particularly nasty collection of sand a salt. unfortunately winter riding requires close and frequent attention to chain maintenance, which makes wd40 or a similar product very useful. i have not searched for a long term solution to lube the chain during the winter since it collects sand and salt so quickly. even running a dry chain with the dupont teflon dry lube doesn't work well in winter conditions.
Old 02-20-10, 06:27 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run in dust, dirt and grit. I think oil makes it messy so I'll just stay with WD40.
I wash and spray every Friday and it seems to run very well, almost no noise, sounds great.
I sound like a locomotive coming down the road.
Old 02-22-10, 04:46 PM
bluteswagon
old un

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if there is a guts award you will be considered
Old 02-25-10, 01:57 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have to take my hat off to you who ride in the cold. Heck, I get cold here at 50 degrees in Mesa Arizona. I do get quite a bite of ridding in though.
We spent last summer in the Lake Placid area and I put 2300 miles on the old Felt in those hills. Sure was good training for the race I was in when I got
back in November. The Tour De Tucson 109 mile wasn't quite a cake walk, but much easer after spending the summer in the Adirondack Mountains.
Old 03-05-10, 09:41 PM
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I made it!

3/5/45 -> 3/5/05 = 65 yrs.

And what's even better, I commuted three days this week including today, my birthday.
Old 03-05-10, 09:57 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wake
3/5/45 -> 3/5/05 = 65 yrs.

And what's even better, I commuted three days this week including today, my birthday.
You might want to proof read your dates. Are you in some sort of strange time warp?

Anyway, congrats.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-05-10 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-06-10, 01:23 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whaaaaat?

Anyway, have a happy.
Old 03-06-10, 10:58 AM
ClarkinHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW--What a lucky break--I just turned 65 last month so I QUALIFY!! Sort of like being "pre-approved" for a credit card . . .

Seriously, I'm also looking for a chain lube solution. From what I've read, you really have to take the chain off and soak it in oil to get it inside the links where it is needed--then drip dry, I guess and store until next rotation. Obviously 2 chains with "missing links" quick-release links are needed for this. So far I've been running new chains with factory lubricant, but I'm gonna have to make a lube decision soon. What oil? I've read more arguments than I can remember. I will probably use a synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1. I wish I really knew what to do.

This business about washing the chain in simple green (or similar) and then rinsing with water, drip dry just blows my mind. Tell me why rinse water isn't going to get inside the chain and cause rust like rain and road water. But even Sheldon says to do this--it would have been considered crazy back in the old days.
Old 03-08-10, 06:17 PM
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
You might want to proof read your dates. Are you in some sort of strange time warp?

Anyway, congrats.
Ooops - alzheimers is nipping at my heels. '05 was the year I ran the Boston Marathon.

Yes, I'm definitely in a strange time warp!
Old 03-24-10, 01:30 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
The recent rains have really cleaned the roads of salt and sand in Mass, The warm weather was great, but it isn't going to last. I just hope that they don't salt the roads if it snows again.
Old 03-29-10, 03:11 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wake
Ooops - alzheimers is nipping at my heels. '05 was the year I ran the Boston Marathon.

Yes, I'm definitely in a strange time warp!

So how old are you young man?

Sheeeet, ran the marathon 5 years ago, I can't run across the street!
Old 03-29-10, 07:08 PM
Ian Baillie

Bikes: Avanti Modra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gee,
I take my hat off to you guys still riding in all that Snow, I did it for years back in the UK in my younger days.
Now that I am 71 yoa and living in Sunny Australia I don't have to worry about the cold and Ice.
Well done , just keep those pedals spinning.
Cheers Ian
Old 03-30-10, 08:00 PM
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Burr
So how old are you young man?

Sheeeet, ran the marathon 5 years ago, I can't run across the street!
I'm pretty sure I'm 65 (bday 3/5/45).

I have the same experience with marathoning. I did 4 of them in 2004-2005, and two of them were in 3:54. But arthritis in my hips won't let me do any more than a mile or two. I feel lucky to have done well for a couple of years around age 60, finishing in the top 4 or 5 in the age group in many races.

I'm glad I can bike without problems (so far). I'm trying to put off hip replacement as long as possible.
Old 03-30-10, 10:50 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wake, you are doing great!

Keep pushing as long as you enjoy it.

I understand waiting on the hip.

I'm 68 and so far I an very lucky with my health. I'm a diabetic 18 years but no problem yet. If it taste good I can't have it.

I lift three days and cycle three days.
I'm happy.
Old 04-22-10, 10:02 AM
pokey1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
will be 70 yo on 5/1 but gf won't agree lol -- just started riding again did 8 mi yesterday
Old 04-22-10, 08:00 PM
peterlonz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the time you read this I will have hit 65.
Have been doing quite well, mostly flat riding on Queenslands Gold Coast.
Generally I aim for four 25 Km rides per week to keep fit, typically I average this distance at about 22Km/hr.
Not spectacular I know, & I always feel a bit knackered after my ride.
Anyway to the point:
Today I developed early in my ride, what I think was cramp in my upper left leg.
I was able to continue slowly with pain & could not ride the pain away.
This is a "first" & I am a bit concerned, you don't want to find yourself disabled unexpectedly far from home.
Has anyone similar experiences or tips that might be usefully employed to prevent this.
BTW I take a magnesium vitamin pill daily.
Thanks
Peter O

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.