Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

What a FUBAR tour this is turning out to be

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 07:12 PM
Talldog

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No further comment is necessary I believe.
Old 07-09-14, 08:00 PM
OrionKhan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Talldog
Must be a Froome fan.
Old 07-09-14, 08:24 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
Must be a Froome fan.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-09-14, 09:17 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I don't even get this comment. To me, this has been one of the most exciting tours in quite sometime. Ffffff time trials.

Old 07-09-14, 09:58 PM
basqueonacaad

Bikes: CDALE CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I don't even get this comment. To me, this has been one of the most exciting tours in quite sometime. Ffffff time trials.
I agree. Rain, cobbles, early climbing in Britian...obstacles to thin the field......love it!
Old 07-09-14, 10:11 PM
JT Burkard

Bikes: BMW Cruise Bike, Specialized Hardrock, Fuji Sagres, Vintage Schwinn Hollywood

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this just made the Tour more interesting than expected. Froome, Cav, Andy are all out within the first week. Contador is over 2 minutes behind. Kittle is the new sprint star (we noticed this last year) and Sagan is 3rd in points in the GC as well as leading in the Points and Young Rider. Today's stage was incredible. Lots of crashes, which is hard on the riders, but this is professional racing. You want to ride le Tour, you have to endure everything from time trials, mountain stages, and cobbles. Suck it up and ride. I was disappointed to see Quintana not even in this year after his 2nd place last year but after his incredible Giro win, I don't think he would have had enough time to recover to perform at his best. You are going to see an interesting race this year with new names and stage winners. I look forward to the next few weeks.
Old 07-09-14, 10:58 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
NBCSN must be having a stroke for the two main Anglophiles to be out of the race so early... Cavendish going out was a disappointment as he is the only guy who can even challenge Kittel in a sprint finish.... However, I think the overall could be wide open with Nibali having a good lead and having won the other two grand tours, would be an interesting story to win the TDF. Or it's possible Contador just destroys the field in the mountains and it's over by the end of the 2nd week....

And what has happened to Schleck brothers and Joaquim Rodriguez????
Old 07-10-14, 12:49 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
What would Eddy do?

[h=1]Merckx: I would have loved to race in this Tour de France[/h]
Old 07-10-14, 01:17 AM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
This is interesting. London odds makers now have Nibali a slight favorite over Contador to win the tour now.

Tour de France Betting | 2014 Tour Odds | Oddschecker

Nibali is 13/10, Contador is 7/4, Porte is 12/1
Old 07-10-14, 02:23 AM
Pibber

Bikes: cannondales 84 ST500; 87SR500; 95 CAAD 3 Silk Road 500; 99 CAAD 3 Frameset(project)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, this tour is insane, and lots of fun. Keeping us on our toes, certainly.

So glad that stick.figure Froome is out. What a boring rider he is. Utter utter bastard!
Old 07-10-14, 02:52 AM
paperbackwriter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
And what has happened to Schleck brothers and Joaquim Rodriguez????
Andy crashed and was forced to abandon because of a knee injury (he had a surgery yesterday or the day before).
Frank is just scared of the cobbles, I suppose. And bad weather. That's why he lost 8 minutes. Compared to Nibali he's not a very good bike handler, when conditions get dangerous he tends to crash himself out of the race and his brother crashed two days before... he probably didn't have it in him to take the risks.

As for Purito Rodriguez - he prepared for the Giro and he's only here because of the early crash there. So there's no way he's 100%, he's here more in hope of stage hunting and preparing for the Vuelta.

(By the way, imagine how great this Vuelta could be. Contador said many times he'll be there. Froome might decide to take his revenge. Quintana will be there. And Rodriguez too.)
Old 07-10-14, 03:26 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Thanks to Google I'm able to find out what FUBAR means.

No I don't think this Tour is ****ed Up Beyond All Reason, but maybe Talldog Really Owns Legitimate Lucidity.
Old 07-10-14, 07:36 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well, the tour isn't fubar'd, but I bet a lot of people's fantasy teams are.

Old 07-10-14, 08:36 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
No I don't think this Tour is ****ed Up Beyond All Reason, but maybe Talldog Really Owns Legitimate Lucidity.
There are at least 3 accepted versions for the R word.

Definitely not beyond all reason; also not beyond all repair.

Arguably it is beyond recognition, at least some people's recognition. It's not the typical boring sprint stages, wait for the mountains and time trials tour.

While different from many recent tours, its a heck of a lot more interesting.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-10-14, 08:51 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The only really interesting stages I can remember in the last 2 or 3 tours before this one was Hushovd's performances in 2011.
Old 07-10-14, 09:10 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Funny how road improvements (modern paving surfaces, roundabouts, paint stripes, etc.) can influence the outcome as much as the short cobble sections. My take on yesterday's stage was that surface looked damned fresh smooth and with the rain it was slick. Then contrasted with the relatively short cobbles also glass smooth on top. Not surprising that a cyclocross expert won the stage. Today's stage winner Greipel's quote regarding roundabouts "...hard to stay together". Then Jens Voigt's comments about the tour being "rougher" because riders are taking more (individual) risks and taking advantage of others misinformation but leaping ahead of others slowed after a major crash.

Last edited by Jseis; 07-10-14 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-10-14, 11:45 AM
WEK

Bikes: 2014 KHS Flite 747

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here, FUBAR must mean "F****ing Unbelievably Bit***n' And Resplendent"
Old 07-10-14, 03:16 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
France needs more cobbles and more rain. Hoping for heavy snow and some hail in the mountains to weed out the girlie-men. Can we get a tornado, too?
Old 07-10-14, 04:59 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WEK
Here, FUBAR must mean "F****ing Unbelievably Bit***n' And Resplendent"
Commissioned an ensign in 1964 I was introduced to that term in flight training in 1965 and, at least then, it was "beyond all reason."

Rich
Old 07-10-14, 06:55 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
No way Talldog, this is turning out to be one heck of a Tour!
Old 07-10-14, 07:15 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I agree this is an awesome tour so far. If it's not held in trust for sunny day climbers, so much the better as far as I am concerned.
Old 07-10-14, 10:56 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm usually the first one to criticize sissy athletes but I will have to admit, along with the guys from IOM TT, these guys don't get paid enough. If really sissy athletes, like soccer players, get paid 40 mil a year to kick a ball and complain about the grass I think cyclist should get paid better than what they do. If anybody here has raced before they know it's hard enough to race on a dry sunny day on a flat course with barely any obstacles let alone rain, then cobbles, then snow then 60mph descents. On top of that you need to work 10 times harder than most... Give em a break. For me it's entertaining enough to watch them race on a clean slate, no need to throw in bears, sharks and assassins to the mix.
Old 07-11-14, 12:36 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
I'm usually the first one to criticize sissy athletes but I will have to admit, along with the guys from IOM TT, these guys don't get paid enough. If really sissy athletes, like soccer players, get paid 40 mil a year to kick a ball and complain about the grass I think cyclist should get paid better than what they do. If anybody here has raced before they know it's hard enough to race on a dry sunny day on a flat course with barely any obstacles let alone rain, then cobbles, then snow then 60mph descents. On top of that you need to work 10 times harder than most... Give em a break. For me it's entertaining enough to watch them race on a clean slate, no need to throw in bears, sharks and assassins to the mix.
i think you may be onto something. ninjas. don't forget the ninjas.
Old 07-11-14, 09:35 AM
WEK

Bikes: 2014 KHS Flite 747

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
Alas, what they "should" be paid based on the danger of the sport is entirely irrelevant. Economics of profitability dictates pay, as it should. If they wanted to make more money, they should have done something else. It's not like cycling's been highly lucrative for anyone other than the top .01% of riders historically. It's an unfortunate state of affairs, but it's true.

If the Tour is about the best professional road cyclist over a three week period under the overall toughest test, then of course it should include cobbles. Cobbles are part of professional cycling. And they are an especially important part of its toughest tests. If, however, the Tour is about the highest power-to-weight ratio over sustained inclines, then take the cobbles out. But in that case, don't pretend that it's about finding the best cyclist overall. It's about finding the best ratio who can also time trial.

Last edited by WEK; 07-11-14 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-11-14, 09:41 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WEK
Alas, what they "should" be paid based on the danger of the sport is entirely irrelevant. Economics of profitability dictates pay, as it should. If they wanted to make more money, they should have done something else. It's not like cycling's been highly lucrative for anyone other than the top .01% of riders historically. It's an unfortunate state of affairs, but it's true.
True, it all depends on what the public wants to see... priorities. Hence, we have Kim Kardashian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.