Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A BIG day for me. Before and after. Paint and decals complete.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A BIG day for me. Before and after. Paint and decals complete.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-21, 07:44 PM
Alsobay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 44 Posts
UPDATE! Build complete.A BIG day for me. Before and after. Paint and decals complete.

Seriously overjoyed with the results so far. Battled with seized bottom bracket and quill and the results are paying off. Painted and installed decals for the first time and turned out better than I could have imagined. I will be keeping the fork as is, with the thought of new chrome on the back of my mind.
Wheels chain and cables go on tomorrow. Can’t wait to ride for this for the first time ever.

UPDATE

might be up for sale soon.

Build is complete and it’s first trip was a blast!!

Not crazy about the appearance of the Continental classics. Sidewalls are to dark.

As purchased over a year ago

As is today. A big day for me 😀😀😀😀

Last edited by Alsobay; 10-29-21 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-28-21, 07:49 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1832 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 1,589 Posts
Very nice, although a bit understated for a Motta?
The original paint scheme is pretty fun, although I can understand the desire to go with something simpler.

The Campy group is looking pretty nice too!

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-28-21, 07:56 PM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Very nice, although a bit understated for a Motta?
The original paint scheme is pretty fun, although I can understand the desire to go with something simpler.

The Campy group is looking pretty nice too!

Steve in Peoria
Thank you, Steve!
Indeed, Motta bikes have some really interesting paint jobs. A few simple red and also some pearl white. I, kiiiiinda, likes the paint scheme but thought the flow was not really all that great and was not original from new. The grey was. I think this blue keeps within a vintage look and is understated and will not get tiresome to look at.

Last edited by Alsobay; 10-29-21 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-28-21, 08:00 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 702 Posts
Night and day. Great job!
Old 10-28-21, 08:10 PM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Night and day. Great job!
Thanks! Stay tuned. I have a Faggin with beautiful lugs that will return in two weeks after being plated in new chrome and fully polished. Undecided on color so might leave it to majority vote by starting a poll.
Old 10-28-21, 09:14 PM
jan230
Old Rider

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 78 Posts
Beautiful! Love the color!
Did you paint it yourself? Spray gun?
Old 10-28-21, 09:20 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
It is beautiful. You do great work. Is it an off the shelf, commercially available paint color, or specific car make-year+model Paint color code, or did custom match it to something that already was that color or a paint chart or something. The School Bus color wasn't what one probably thinks of as a great shade of Yellow for a bicycle. The black accents and how they were presented certainly did nothing but make it look shabby and low-rent. Perhaps that was the rage when it was new but the passage of time has probably led the lead person at the manufacturer who designed its color scheme to now think, oh it was all the rage when new, but in reality it looked like number two, what were we thinking, releasing a bike with that ugly of a paint scheme.
Old 10-28-21, 09:49 PM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by jan230
Beautiful! Love the color!
Did you paint it yourself? Spray gun?
I appreciate your kind words. Took a lot of searching for the right color and as it turns out is completely a rattle can paint job. From primer to clear.

Primer is automotive two part.
Paint is MTN (Montana) Gold.
Clear is SprayMax Glamour 2K

Each step involved wet color sanding to get a smooth finish.

Decals were installed referencing pre paint photos for placement. measurements were taken and blue painters tape was used as a guide to avoid misalignment. You only get one shot.

I would have done one thing different and not placed the frame on the repair stand for a couple of weeks. I need to go back and spot correct and touch up the clear coat. Wet sanding again.
Likes For Alsobay:
Old 10-28-21, 10:00 PM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
It is beautiful. You do great work. Is it an off the shelf, commercially available paint color, or specific car make-year+model Paint color code, or did custom match it to something that already was that color or a paint chart or something. The School Bus color wasn't what one probably thinks of as a great shade of Yellow for a bicycle. The black accents and how they were presented certainly did nothing but make it look shabby and low-rent. Perhaps that was the rage when it was new but the passage of time has probably led the lead person at the manufacturer who designed its color scheme to now think, oh it was all the rage when new, but in reality it looked like number two, what were we thinking, releasing a bike with that ugly of a paint scheme.
Vintage Schwinn,
Some paint jobs out there are like the bell bottoms, massively wide ties and perm hair does. It just isn’t right. The old adage “Less is more”, applies here.
im taking the approach to Bikes as I do when restoring and making mid century modern style furniture, and when I restored vintage Alfa’s and Porche’s. I have my style and it is to use only what you need. Clean lines and colors.

I found a great blue from Montana paint’s gold line, “Denim blue” after seeing how pigments hold up to the elements ( Murals and Graffiti art) I could not pass it up. $8 a can.

Keep in mind, automotive primer, and clear where used. Wasn’t low buck. Not to mention all the prep and color sanding.

Last edited by Alsobay; 10-29-21 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-28-21, 10:46 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 412 Posts
Fine work, to be sure.
Old 10-28-21, 11:20 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 120 Posts
Beautiful!
Just saw you did the paint.
Kudos.
Enjoy
Old 10-28-21, 11:22 PM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by easyupbug
Fine work, to be sure.
Many thanks 👍!
Old 10-28-21, 11:25 PM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by bironi
Beautiful!
Thank You, Bironi ! Now to ride it with care for the next person who will own it in the future.

Last edited by Alsobay; 10-29-21 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-28-21, 11:32 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
I have a close to school bus yellow 1972 Colnago and it is I think Classic.
would have preferred an electric Blue one and I eventually found a ‘73 that color. That got the period Super Record, coffee house brag bike.

if I had money to burn, would look for all the pantograph bits.

I like how the Motta turned out, I often associate Motta with pearl white, so a bit of an adjustment, but I think handsome.
Old 10-28-21, 11:48 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked 2,553 Times in 1,067 Posts
Very, very nice. Excellent work.

FWIW (and it isn't much) , I like your chosen color scheme much better than the original. Much better. I probably would not have thought of that color, and I would have lost out - it looks gorgeous, in an understated elegance sort of way. Well done, and thanks for sharing it.
Old 10-29-21, 04:50 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Yep I think you have truly converted an ugly duckling into a swan.....
Old 10-29-21, 05:36 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Beautiful color choice. I agree with "understated elegance".
Old 10-29-21, 09:12 AM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by repechage
I have a close to school bus yellow 1972 Colnago and it is I think Classic.
would have preferred an electric Blue one and I eventually found a ‘73 that color. That got the period Super Record, coffee house brag bike.

if I had money to burn, would look for all the pantograph bits.

I like how the Motta turned out, I often associate Motta with pearl white, so a bit of an adjustment, but I think handsome.
Thank you! This Motta will be ridden every now and again, but I as built for the Eroica CA 2022. I actually picked up yellow paint for this one that was inspired by a Simoncini. A good looking bike for sure. I might paint a Simoncini frameset that I have squirreled away.

Not mine

Simoncini waiting to be restored
Old 10-29-21, 09:17 AM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Very, very nice. Excellent work.

FWIW (and it isn't much) , I like your chosen color scheme much better than the original. Much better. I probably would not have thought of that color, and I would have lost out - it looks gorgeous, in an understated elegance sort of way. Well done, and thanks for sharing it.
Thank you!
and FWIW your opinion means a lot. I am very humbled by the positive feedback that has been sent my way. It’s worth a lot because I’m considering, after a few restorations, offering full resto’s to the public.

Last edited by Alsobay; 10-29-21 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-29-21, 09:20 AM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by KenNC
Yep I think you have truly converted an ugly duckling into a swan.....
Quack, Quack!! 😀😀🙂
Thank you! I love bringing things back from the brink of disposal.
Old 10-29-21, 09:23 AM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Beautiful color choice. I agree with "understated elegance".
Thank You! Glad that Gianni Motta’s work is still appreciated.
Old 10-29-21, 08:19 PM
Alsobay

Update on build complete.

Finished the build photos updated.
Old 10-30-21, 10:24 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2469 Post(s)
Liked 3,185 Times in 2,005 Posts
Originally Posted by Alsobay
Thanks! Stay tuned. I have a Faggin with beautiful lugs that will return in two weeks after being plated in new chrome and fully polished. Undecided on color so might leave it to majority vote by starting a poll.
I just obtained a replacement “Fiona” Faggin for one I sent on to a BF member as it was too small, so I look forward to seeing the work you do on it.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Old 10-30-21, 10:46 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 454 Posts
I love the color and the simplicity. Nice work!

Originally Posted by Alsobay
Not crazy about the appearance of the Continental classics. Sidewalls are to dark.
I found new Continental Giro sew-ups at '70s prices. They even have removable valve cores.

Didn't mean to step on your thread - not sure how to just do thumbnails instead of full size pics.

Love the Motta!
Old 10-30-21, 11:03 AM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by Fredo76
I love the color and the simplicity. Nice work!

I found new Continental Giro sew-ups at '70s prices. They even have removable valve cores.

Didn't mean to step on your thread - not sure how to just do thumbnails instead of full size pics.

Love the Motta!
no worries. 🙂 I am in need of a couple of sets of tubulars but the prices are pretty steep. Thanks for the positive comment on th Motta. Beautiful green on your Colnago. Reminds me of Porsche Viper green

Last edited by Alsobay; 10-30-21 at 12:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.