Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Fuji Absolute 1.0 for 700$... legit?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-12, 08:51 PM
bwh318

Bikes: Schwinn Frontier MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm considering pulling the trigger and buying the Fuji Absolute 1.0 that BikesDirect has up for sale, but I'm hesitant. I've heard mixed things about BD, and I'm just trying to get a sense of whether or not this is a good deal. Right now I'm looking to either buy a solid hybrid or road bike in the 600-800 range, and this is too tempting to pass up (all 105 flat bar road components). Halp!

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fuji/absolute_1.htm
Old 04-27-12, 09:46 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, BD is legit and the bike has been available for that price for several months (while stocks last.) You can search this forum for more info on the bike. You are advised to buy one frame size larger than normal. And beware this bike has a short head tube so it's intended for riders who want a pretty aggressive road bike style position / bike fit.
Old 04-27-12, 11:28 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dunbar
Yes, BD is legit and the bike has been available for that price for several months (while stocks last.) You can search this forum for more info on the bike. You are advised to buy one frame size larger than normal. And beware this bike has a short head tube so it's intended for riders who want a pretty aggressive road bike style position / bike fit.
I purchased an Absolute 1.0 a few years back and I did have to get one size larger than what fit me from Trek, Specialized, and Giant.

I addressed the overly aggressive position by swapping out the fixed stem for an adjustable stem. This adds a bit of weight. Intended to purchase a fixed stem which matched my angle and length settings from the adjustable but haven't gotten around to it.
Old 04-28-12, 09:26 AM
erg79

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar previously had the Absolute 1.0 for close to $600. So the Bikes Direct deal is legit, and they're supposed to have very good customer service (no experience with them myself). There have been a few threads in the past about the Absolute 1.0 from BD (as well as Nashbar), so do some searching and see what others have said. I don't remember reading a bad word.
Old 04-28-12, 10:31 AM
SHOFINE

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts
I just bought a sweet bike from them for my wife. A Motebecane Jubilee 8 spd IGH for $399. It was delivered in 3 days and I put it together in less than an hour. I jacked the seat and rode it and loved it. I think my wife is gonna abandon her Electra Amsterdam now!
Old 04-28-12, 11:00 AM
FlatSix911

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, this is the real deal ...

Originally Posted by bwh318
I'm considering pulling the trigger and buying the Fuji Absolute 1.0 that BikesDirect has up for sale, but I'm hesitant. I've heard mixed things about BD, and I'm just trying to get a sense of whether or not this is a good deal. Right now I'm looking to either buy a solid hybrid or road bike in the 600-800 range, and this is too tempting to pass up (all 105 flat bar road components). Halp!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
absolute1_600.jpg (65.5 KB, 260 views)

Last edited by FlatSix911; 04-28-12 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-28-12, 04:56 PM
ChowChow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bwh318

It's a very good deal. I would say hurry up before it is sold out. I've purchase the Fuji Absolute 2.0 from them and all I have is good things to say about it and BD. The deal for the Fuji Absolute 2.0 was so good, that most of the stock is already sold out.
Old 04-28-12, 09:06 PM
slumlord

Bikes: '10 Fuji Absolute 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just bought a 1.0 from someone off CL who didn't like the 19'. I'm 6'0 and it's just fine. The selle royal seat is ok comfy and shifts really nice, personally i like the over aggressiveness this bike vs other hybrids, it's closest to road bike than the others. just with a straight bar setup, and the more aggressive posture helps since it's a pretty decently fast bike.

Almost got this bike instead, but like the white more and don't like the rainbow arch on the 2011's

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1093964_-1___

Last edited by slumlord; 04-28-12 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-13-12, 02:21 PM
ChanceG

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac Pro SRAM 2010 Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slumlord
i just bought a 1.0 from someone off CL who didn't like the 19'. I'm 6'0 and it's just fine. The selle royal seat is ok comfy and shifts really nice, personally i like the over aggressiveness this bike vs other hybrids, it's closest to road bike than the others. just with a straight bar setup, and the more aggressive posture helps since it's a pretty decently fast bike.

Almost got this bike instead, but like the white more and don't like the rainbow arch on the 2011's

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1093964_-1___
Hey wanted to know how that 19" frame fit you on the Fuji Absolute 1.0 being 6'? I'm also 6' and was thinking about trying the 19" since the price is so good. But I don't want it cramped up. What is your arm length? And the overall ride quality.
Old 05-13-12, 06:00 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am only 5'7" and the 19" is almost a perfect fit for me. It is definitely a small 19 as I fit a 17.5" in the Trek FX line and a 17 from Specialized.

Frankly, I am quite surprised that someone who is 6' would find the 19" in the Fuji Absolute line to be a good fit. The 17" cockpit was too cramped for me.

(EDIT: Looks like they changed the frame geometry (or the stem) along the line. Mine is a 2006 and the effective top tube in the 19" frame was 555 mm. But the 2010 19" shows an effective top tube of 575 mm. I suspect I would fit the 17" from 2010/2011.)

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 05-13-12 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-13-12, 11:05 PM
eddiehaskell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The specs on bikedirect say the 19" Fuji 1.0 has a standover height of 29.5". The 19" 2010 coda sport I ordered has a standover height of 31"....I'm under 6ft and thought it may be too small. Seems like a 19" Fuji would be way too small for a 6 footer. Even the 21" frame is only 31". I wonder if the specs on bikedirect are correct or if they have the old sizing listed....or maybe the fujis they have are old models?
Old 05-14-12, 12:46 AM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Standover height isn't really relevant to comfort on the bike. Frankly, I think the only reason it's even talked about anymore is liability.

With regards to the 2010 Fuji Absolute the short head tube (shorter than many road race bikes) creates a lot of saddle-to-bar drop. And yes the long top tube and stem will really stretch you out but that is easily dialed out with a shorter stem. It really depends on your cycling inseam but I'd be surprised if the 21" wasn't the best option for a 6' individual.

Last edited by Dunbar; 05-14-12 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-18-12, 01:02 PM
14hours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for digging up a month old thread, but I figured this better than starting a new one since it is on topic.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Absolute 1.0 on BD, but decided to do some research first. It seems like the majority of comments out there are positive for BD. The only question I have is in reference to the choosing a size. I am 5.7-5.8" and I test road a Absolute 3.0 and was told 17" was the right size for me (and it felt good to me). However, I saw people saying to choose one size bigger when ordering form BD on this thread. That seemed to be when it came to different brand names though. So the question is, since the bike I tried at the store was a 17" Fuji, am I good getting the 17" off of BD? The 19" is sold out. (the one in the store did have adjustable handle bars)

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-18-12, 04:56 PM
digitalFX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the exact same bike not too long ago. I'm 5'10" and the 17" is just barely big enough for me so you should be fine. This is the second bike I've purchased from bikesdirect and they are a pleasure to deal with, I highly recommend them. I had a tire blow out on my first ride and they sent me a new tire and tube without question.
Old 06-18-12, 07:38 PM
14hours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalFX
I bought the exact same bike not too long ago. I'm 5'10" and the 17" is just barely big enough for me so you should be fine. This is the second bike I've purchased from bikesdirect and they are a pleasure to deal with, I highly recommend them. I had a tire blow out on my first ride and they sent me a new tire and tube without question.
Should I be skeptical of a response from a member who just joined today, who's only post was a reply to my question about BD? Could it be someone with an investment of some sort in bikes direct?
Old 06-19-12, 05:22 AM
addictedhealer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would do it in a heart beat if i had the cash, I love the Fuji 1.0. One of my favorite bikes.
Old 06-19-12, 01:38 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 14hours
Should I be skeptical of a response from a member who just joined today, who's only post was a reply to my question about BD? Could it be someone with an investment of some sort in bikes direct?
Kind of like a paranoid poster with only 11 posts. Come conspiracy theorists, when are you going to admit BD is legit?
Old 06-19-12, 03:27 PM
digitalFX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definatly not a conspiracy, I only joined (and found this post) because I was searching for gearing setups for this exact bike. I feel like my low gear isn't low enough, although it could be me just being spoiled by my MTB.