Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Diamondback Insight - good first bike?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 03:02 AM
eddiehaskell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't had a bike in 15 years but I want to start riding again...maybe 6 or 7 miles at a time. Sports Authority has a 30% off coupon they said I can use which brings the bike to $238 + tax. I know Diamondback isn't a very popular brand on here, but will this bike do the job or should I keep waiting to find a better used bike on CL? The components seem equivalent to $400-500 bikes from more popular companies (7.1fx, Sirrus, Quick 6, etc.). I want to spend $350 or less.

BTW, I'm 5'11 with a 33" inseam and the sizing calculator on Diamondbacks website recommends the 19" frame. Does this sound right?
Old 08-09-13, 09:05 AM
tzolandz

Bikes: KHS Vitamin B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other than getting into the big box store vs. LBS discussion, people are going to want to know more about where/surface types and distances you plan to ride. also is this a longer term investment or something you just want to try out to see if biking is for you?
Old 08-09-13, 11:32 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Bikeapedia lists 5 different 2013 Insights.
You might provide a link to the one of interest.
How much do you weigh.

Assuming you are looking at the cheapest one, it should be adequate for smooth pavement.
Rougher ground, you may tend to bend the rear axle on the Free Wheel. Also if you are heavier, you may want a Free Hub rear vs Free Wheel.
https://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
Old 08-09-13, 11:56 AM
eddiehaskell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://m.sportsauthority.com/product...uctId=13315384

I'm 160 lbs. It would mostly be ridden on paved roads/sidewalks with the occastional dirt trail. I would say, I want something that will last me 2-3 years riding an average of maybe 20 miles per week. At that point, I could continue riding the Insight or sell it and buy something that will fit my needs. Looking at some threads on here, some people say they have rode similarly speced bikes for 10+ years.
Old 08-09-13, 12:10 PM
eddiehaskell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as LBS, couldn't I still take the bike to one for tune ups and repairs even though I didn't buy the bike there? I would hope to eventually learn how to do most of the adjustments and repairs myself.
Old 08-09-13, 01:25 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Diamondback Edgewood for a first bike so yes I think the Insight will be a good one too. It has most of the features that an expensive bike has.
I assume the frames will be similar in height. I am 5-10 with a 30" inseam so I got the 17"/medium frame. It's just enough room to stand over the bar though not the full 1"-2" recommended. I think I'm just an inbetweener when it comes to Diamondback frames.
When I got the bike I thought it best to get a more cost effective one like these to begin with. Now that I have gotten 100 miles on it I like it a lot and I already have a good idea what my future high quality bike will be.
This bike will do me very well till I am ready for something else.
Old 08-09-13, 02:20 PM
deeky

Bikes: More than my wife can keep track of

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell
It would mostly be ridden on paved roads/sidewalks with the occastional dirt trail. I would say, I want something that will last me 2-3 years riding an average of maybe 20 miles per week.
That's about what I use my Diamondback Insight RS for, maybe a few more miles per week. I've had it for a few years and it has been an excellent bike for light/moderate use, held up well even when a distracted driver turned right in front of me and I smashed right into the quarter panel. I would definitely recommend the Insight as a solid beginner bike, although I do wish I went up a size--I am 5'7'' and the 15" small frame felt great at my LBS, but I feel the 17" medium would have been better (hey, the small was at a deep discount and has been fine, soooo whatever).

Old 08-09-13, 02:34 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
I bought my wife a women's specific Diamondback Hybrid when she wanted to ride the local MUPs and Rail Trails. It's equivalent to the Men's Insight model. She has owned it about 3 years on it now and puts on about 400 miles a year, mostly on the local rail trail but I dragged her on a 46-mile road tour of the lower NJ cape, as well as a couple of of shorter road routes around Virginia Beach and it did fine for that. It's not the lightest frame, but plenty sturdy and the lower-end shimano drivetrain and wheelset have held up well.
Old 08-10-13, 03:15 AM
eddiehaskell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is also another bike there for the same price....it's the nishiki Manitoba which is also a hybrid but it has a little better front and rear derailleur (acera vs tourney/altus). I have searched my best but can't find any reviews on this bike!

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=17555036

any opinions or knowledge about this bike?

today is the last day of the sale so I have to make a decision.
Old 08-10-13, 10:58 PM
eddiehaskell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went in near closing and they already had the next week's prices on the bikes so I got the Insight 1 for $224 + $15 worth of rewards so effectively $209. seems decent but I have nothing to compare it to.
Old 08-11-13, 07:33 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute on a Diamondback Edgewood.
So far, in 2013 I've put over 1500 commuter miles on it. I rode it 936 miles in 2012.

The only trouble I've had with mine was a faulty wire bead on a tire, resulting in numerous blow-out flats. Changed tires and I've had no worries.
I added a mirror, lights, fenders, rack/panniers but other than those items and the tires it's fully stock.

That's my experience (so far) your mileage may vary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike_small.jpg (72.7 KB, 129 views)
Old 08-11-13, 07:40 PM
eddiehaskell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FenderTL5
I commute on a Diamondback Edgewood.
So far, in 2013 I've put over 1500 commuter miles on it. I rode it 936 miles in 2012.

The only trouble I've had with mine was a faulty wire bead on a tire, resulting in numerous blow-out flats. Changed tires and I've had no worries.
I added a mirror, lights, fenders, rack/panniers but other than those items and the tires it's fully stock.

That's my experience (so far) your mileage may vary.
Looks good. Nearly 2500 miles of relatively problems free riding seems to point toward these bikes being just as durable as any other brand.

The Edgewood's wider seat looks to be A LOT more comfy compared to the Insight which left me a little sore after an 8 mile ride.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 08-11-13 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 08:54 PM
WDH74

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic, Trek FX 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, you can always change the saddle around. I have a Wildwood Classic, which I got for Christmas because I wanted something to start out riding again after a long hiatus, and this was fairly comfortable on a test ride. But I've put several hundred miles on it this summer and am looking for something a little less cruiser like and a little more sports car like. Anyway, I like the seat on this, and will probably swap it to whatever replaces it (I was thinking about the Insight as well).
Old 08-12-13, 10:57 PM
fire

Bikes: '09 Diamondback Insight 1, '05 Trek 3700 ( now a hybrid street/cross trail bike), (Vintage model) Kent Supreme 10 speed road cruiser, BMX (just for fun), Trek Multitrack 720 and a homebuilt recumbent low-rider.

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went in near closing and they already had the next week's prices on the bikes so I got the Insight 1 for $224 + $15 worth of rewards so effectively $209. seems decent but I have nothing to compare it to.
Good deal.
I've had my 09 Insight 1 (bought used from a LBS) for over 3500 miles now, and apart from popping 2 spokes in the back wheel on separate occasions (the LBS said it's natural fatigue, more like me not being careful and clipping a pothole on the street at 19 mph at dusk) its been a great bike and trouble free. I ride about 100 miles a week, and out of my small collection, it's become my favourite bike.

Congrats on the purchase, and dont take notice of any bike snobbery, it's all about getting out there, riding, and having fun.
Old 08-12-13, 11:42 PM
eddiehaskell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fire
Good deal.
I've had my 09 Insight 1 (bought used from a LBS) for over 3500 miles now, and apart from popping 2 spokes in the back wheel on separate occasions (the LBS said it's natural fatigue, more like me not being careful and clipping a pothole on the street at 19 mph at dusk) its been a great bike and trouble free. I ride about 100 miles a week, and out of my small collection, it's become my favourite bike.

Congrats on the purchase, and dont take notice of any bike snobbery, it's all about getting out there, riding, and having fun.
Thanks. I've put in about 35 miles in two days and it's definitely fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo.jpg (33.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 08-19-13, 09:35 AM
tyoungs

Bikes: Diamondback Insight One

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Insight 1 that I frequently ride on the GAP trail here in Pittsburgh. I've had it for over a year and bought it used off Craigslist. I have used it on trails in Upstate NY as well as in central PA without problem. I do wish that the gear ratios were a bit better but otherwise I've been very happy with it. And I agree with another person who posted, pay no attention to the bike snobbery.
Old 08-20-13, 05:13 AM
pandaza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not too knowledgable with components. Looks like Diamondback just posted their 2014 bikes. How do the components on the new 2014 insight disc look?

https://www.diamondback.com/bikes-pav...d-insight-disc
Old 08-21-13, 12:16 PM
acrowder

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2011 Insight 2 and I love it. My parents got some mid-tier Treks as their hybrids, and I have to say I've compared the bikes and found that mine was better in almost every way, and was priced at $200 less.

One thing I will say though, in subsequent years they've really decreased the quality of every component on the bike in order to lower the price points. On the base Insight, they're now running Altus level and have put in a steel fork instead of that aluminum blade. Not a really big deal, but it just goes to show how they've really been aggressively cutting costs on this model.

The higher tier models might still be good, but I'm not sure. I think they may have just been adding more tiers, so what was an Insight 2 in 2011 may now be the Insight 3 or something.

Last edited by acrowder; 08-21-13 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-21-13, 12:21 PM
acrowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks good. Nearly 2500 miles of relatively problems free riding seems to point toward these bikes being just as durable as any other brand.

The Edgewood's wider seat looks to be A LOT more comfy compared to the Insight which left me a little sore after an 8 mile ride.
Edgewoods are really more of an old man's bike. The seat is wider, sure, but the real difference is the frame geometry. The front end of the bike is VERY tall, to sit you upright. That said, I think they're decent bikes. They're actually well made, with one exception - in my experience, all of them seem to have the same lasko crank and I have literally never seen one where the chainrings were straight.

Originally Posted by WDH74
Well, you can always change the saddle around. I have a Wildwood Classic, which I got for Christmas because I wanted something to start out riding again after a long hiatus, and this was fairly comfortable on a test ride. But I've put several hundred miles on it this summer and am looking for something a little less cruiser like and a little more sports car like. Anyway, I like the seat on this, and will probably swap it to whatever replaces it (I was thinking about the Insight as well).
Not a fan of Wildwoods. They're cheaply made, and unnecessarily beefy. They'd be alright if they were just put on an Outlook frame, but instead they've got the heaviest steel frame possible. If you're trying to get in shape and want something that will slow you down, I guess they'd be an okay choice.
Old 08-21-13, 04:32 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acrowder
Edgewoods are really more of an old man's bike. The seat is wider, sure, but the real difference is the frame geometry. The front end of the bike is VERY tall, to sit you upright. That said, I think they're decent bikes.
There called comfort bikes for a reason.
Old 08-21-13, 10:01 PM
WDH74

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic, Trek FX 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acrowder
Not a fan of Wildwoods. They're cheaply made, and unnecessarily beefy. They'd be alright if they were just put on an Outlook frame, but instead they've got the heaviest steel frame possible. If you're trying to get in shape and want something that will slow you down, I guess they'd be an okay choice.
No, they make (or at least made up until last year) both aluminum and steel Wildwoods-the steel was called the "Citi" model. I tried both and agree that the steel one weighed way too much, even my old steel Schwinn felt lighter and that thing weighs a ton. I can't speak for the quality, but to my unschooled eyes it doesn't seem any worse than other Diamondbacks I've ridden. Mine's certainly stood up well to some pretty hard use over the past months with no issues.
Old 08-23-13, 09:30 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
I haven't had a bike in 15 years but I want to start riding again...maybe 6 or 7 miles at a time. Sports Authority has a 30% off coupon they said I can use which brings the bike to $238 + tax. I know Diamondback isn't a very popular brand on here, but will this bike do the job or should I keep waiting to find a better used bike on CL? The components seem equivalent to $400-500 bikes from more popular companies (7.1fx, Sirrus, Quick 6, etc.). I want to spend $350 or less.

BTW, I'm 5'11 with a 33" inseam and the sizing calculator on Diamondbacks website recommends the 19" frame. Does this sound right?
Hi Eddie,
In my opinion the base Insight will work for.
I have a Trek 7.4FX. Back in April we vacationed in Palm Desert, CA and I rented a base Insight for a week. Perhaps I was just happy to be able to ride while I was on vacation, but I found the Insight absolutely acceptable.
Enjoy it and just ride!
Best regards to you, Wally and, of course, the Beaver!
Old 08-23-13, 07:09 PM
acrowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aubiecat
There called comfort bikes for a reason.
Yeah, I'm not sure what he was looking for.

Originally Posted by WDH74
No, they make (or at least made up until last year) both aluminum and steel Wildwoods-the steel was called the "Citi" model. I tried both and agree that the steel one weighed way too much, even my old steel Schwinn felt lighter and that thing weighs a ton. I can't speak for the quality, but to my unschooled eyes it doesn't seem any worse than other Diamondbacks I've ridden. Mine's certainly stood up well to some pretty hard use over the past months with no issues.
I actually didn't know that, I'm glad it exists though. I still hate most everything about those bikes, but it's definitely enough for a recreational rider. Beats a Wal-Mart bike.
Old 06-11-16, 11:59 AM
Keystone1132

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In reference to the Diamondback Edgewood, what is the best mirror for his bike?
Old 06-14-16, 06:11 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
I bought one with an aluminum fork. Many Insight 1s , though, come with a hi-ten steel fork. I really like mine, and couldn't believe the deal I got on it. Seems like a versatile bike. I do 30+ mile rides on mine. I don't pound on it. Works fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.