Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Bar Ends input, again...

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Bar Ends input, again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 08:57 AM
Eric91Z

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sequioa Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar Ends input, again...

Yes, I searched and found some information on this, but not quite what I am looking for. Just got a 2018 Trek Verve 3 that comes with the Bontrager Satellite IsoZone Plus lock-on ergo grips. So far, think the grips themselves are fine, but looking to add bar ends for additional hand positions. These do have a locking cap on the end, so looking for for the following:

1. Bolt on bar ends to go on end of bars and work with the stock Bontrager grips, for now.
2. Not looking to swap to Ergon grips - some day, yes, but not now.
3. LBS recommended the standard Bontrager bar ends to do with Bontrager grips.
4. Whatever I go with needs to leave the bar end open to mount a Mirrycle bar end mirror

So, couple of options considering so far:

1. Bontrager bar ends
2. Profile Design boxer bar end

Any others that are that same style, roughly same size, that would work or others have used and like? Again, looking for something that works with stock grips already on there, not looking to swap entire bar, and not wanting/needing dropped bar kind of riding - just switched to this Verve after years of road bikes due to shoulder issues...

All input appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 03-16-18, 11:05 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I bought the SQLabs Innerbarends because I think bars inward of the grips are better than outer bar ends. I haven't mounted them yet so no real world experience.

https://www.sq-lab.com/shop/en/New-p...rends-411.html

Review ? SQlab 311 Handlebars, 411 Innerbarends and 711 SY Grips
Old 03-16-18, 11:07 AM
Eric91Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sal Bandini
I bought the SQLabs Innerbarends because I think bars inward of the grips are better than outer bar ends. I haven't mounted them yet so no real world experience.

https://www.sq-lab.com/shop/en/New-p...rends-411.html

Review ? SQlab 311 Handlebars, 411 Innerbarends and 711 SY Grips
Thanks for that input, but am really looking for outer bar ends. Due to shoulder issue and general overall size, bringing my hands in further it not what I am looking to do.
Old 03-16-18, 11:23 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric91Z
Thanks for that input, but am really looking for outer bar ends. Due to shoulder issue and general overall size, bringing my hands in further it not what I am looking to do.
The problem is, when you install bar ends, you move your primary hand position in because generally, you need to push the grips in to make room for the bar ends. So adding bar ends might make things worse, not better. FWIW, I like the concept of the inner bar ends as an occasional aero position on a flat bar.
Old 03-16-18, 01:07 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Eric, I'm in much the same boat as you. I have a 2015 Verve 3, and I have bar ends on it that are similar to the Profile Design ones. Truth, they were on an old MTB that I bought for parts, and I swapped the bar ends to my Verve. I scored a similar set in anodized silver color for my Trek 750 of the local List of Craig for 5 bucks.

I like the outer ones for the same purpose as you -- to mount mirrors. Yes, the grips do need to slide in a bit to accomodate them, but with the handlebar as wide as it is already, I find that an acceptable compromise. I've tried to like road bikes, but I just don't like how narrow the bar usually is (40-50cm). My hybrid bars are in the 58-62cm range, and I'd go even wider if I were buying a replacement bar.
Old 03-16-18, 01:10 PM
Eric91Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Eric, I'm in much the same boat as you. I have a 2015 Verve 3, and I have bar ends on it that are similar to the Profile Design ones. Truth, they were on an old MTB that I bought for parts, and I swapped the bar ends to my Verve. I scored a similar set in anodized silver color for my Trek 750 of the local List of Craig for 5 bucks.

I like the outer ones for the same purpose as you -- to mount mirrors. Yes, the grips do need to slide in a bit to accomodate them, but with the handlebar as wide as it is already, I find that an acceptable compromise. I've tried to like road bikes, but I just don't like how narrow the bar usually is (40-50cm). My hybrid bars are in the 58-62cm range, and I'd go even wider if I were buying a replacement bar.
Yeah, I don’t want/need narrow any more. Looking for comfort and nothing about me is aerodynamic anyway! Just looking for more hand placement options on the straight bar. And looks like you would have to slide grips in only an inch or so anyway.
Old 03-16-18, 01:23 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Yeah, I don’t want/need narrow any more. Looking for comfort and nothing about me is aerodynamic anyway! Just looking for more hand placement options on the straight bar. And looks like you would have to slide grips in only an inch or so anyway.
Yeah, it does take 2cm or so off the effective "grip width" of each half of the handle bar (where you place your hands). I'm biking for comfort/recreation/pleasure/exercise, and aerodynamics isn't in my list of priorities. In theory, the less aerodynamic I am, the more exercise I get. Ha! My riding position is upright enough, and I often have enough other drag on my bike (pannier racks and sometimes bags), that the position of my grip won't matter there anyway.
Old 03-16-18, 01:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
IDK if you are willing to replace the bars with a simple round one , to then fit Ergon grip/bar ends onto...

there is a relatively seamless transition from wide comfort grip to bar end, then...
Old 03-16-18, 01:53 PM
Eric91Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
IDK if you are willing to replace the bars with a simple round one , to then fit Ergon grip/bar ends onto...
As far as I can tell, the bars are round ones. I pulled the Bontrager grips off and it is a round bar they are mounted on. Ergon grips/ends should fit fine, but since I already have an Ergo grip on there, for now just looking to add bar ends themselves that work with the Bontrager grips.
Old 03-16-18, 02:04 PM
Sal Bandini

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
As far as I can tell, the bars are round ones. I pulled the Bontrager grips off and it is a round bar they are mounted on. Ergon grips/ends should fit fine, but since I already have an Ergo grip on there, for now just looking to add bar ends themselves that work with the Bontrager grips.
My wife has Trek Neko with ergo grips. I replaced them with Ergon grip and bar ends. The Ergon had bigger "ergo" pad area than the Bontrager. I don't know how yours compare, though. Maybe check out the Ergon at LBS and see how they compare to yours.
Old 03-16-18, 02:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Your choice, of course, But you will have that uncomfortable corner that the bar end clamps around the bar ,
and a separate clamp for your grip..

Then OTOH Trekking Figure 8 bend bars offer abundant alternative hand holds..
Old 03-16-18, 02:13 PM
Eric91Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sal Bandini
My wife has Trek Neko with ergo grips. I replaced them with Ergon grip and bar ends. The Ergon had bigger "ergo" pad area than the Bontrager. I don't know how yours compare, though. Maybe check out the Ergon at LBS and see how they compare to yours.
My wife just got a Trek FX2 with ergo grips and the ergo grips on my Verve 3 are much bigger than her’s. The ones on my Verve 3 seem very similar to the Ergon GP series grips.

Yes, I have looked at and considered the Ergo GP5 grips, but for 1/3 of the price I can add bar ends to my existing ergo grips that are comfortable and long ways from wearing out (just got the bike).
Old 03-16-18, 02:17 PM
Sal Bandini

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My wife just got a Trek FX2 with ergo grips and the ergo grips on my Verve 3 are much bigger than her’s. The ones on my Verve 3 seem very similar to the Ergon GP series grips.

Yes, I have looked at and considered the Ergo GP5 grips, but for 1/3 of the price I can add bar ends to my existing ergo grips that are comfortable and long ways from wearing out (just got the bike).
Yes, the GP5 were quite expensive.
Old 03-19-18, 09:19 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I don't know what constraints you are under, but I really love the Specialized P2 Barendz on my bikes. Very comfortable, and my Myrricle sticks right in the end of the bar. I have changed both ny bikes to these, and put them on my son's bikes as well.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/p2...=219373-130805

Edit: just as a point of information, I used to like Ergon GP-1 Grips the best, but bought a pair of Specialized equivalents really cheap one afternoon, and I like them better. I prefer the clamp on the other end, and they are very slightly softer, which makes them more comfortable. Just a little more forgiving to my older hands. Plus, they were available in colors and sizes.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...=220318-131247

Just other options to consider.

Last edited by Wanderer; 03-19-18 at 09:24 AM.