Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Linda Ronstadt, 1978

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Linda Ronstadt, 1978

Old 11-14-19, 04:10 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 3,397 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
From what I've read, she's afflicted with Progressive Supraneuclear Palsy, which is what killed my wife, Patti, after seven years. The realization that Linda has had it at least that long but is in much better condition (the last two years, I was feeding Patti thru a tube in her stomach four times a day, she could no longer swallow) had me both amazed, and hoping that she's got more than a few years left. Dude
Dude, I'm putting you on my heroes list immediately.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 11-14-19, 05:22 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
From what I've read, she's afflicted with Progressive Supraneuclear Palsy, which is what killed my wife, Patti, after seven years. The realization that Linda has had it at least that long but is in much better condition (the last two years, I was feeding Patti thru a tube in her stomach four times a day, she could no longer swallow) had me both amazed, and hoping that she's got more than a few years left. The unfortunate reality is that it is going to kill her.
My Dad had a major stroke and we cared for him in our home for a decade. People have NO CLUE what it is like till they lived it. People used to say to my sister "What is your job?" when she would be up at three a.m. attending to his needs. That is how clueless and insensitive people are. In what really matters in life you are a hero sir. You really loved her obviously and it will be a better day when you are reunited with her in the world to come. God bless you.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 11-14-19 at 05:22 PM. Reason: add
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 11-14-19, 06:02 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
I am ashamed to admit this is the first time I have seen her. She is quite beautiful. I have heard good things about her music so I will give it a try.
I don't know if I would listen to her music. It might get you in trouble. I've heard it is scandalous.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-14-19, 06:59 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
From what I've read, she's afflicted with Progressive Supraneuclear Palsy, which is what killed my wife, Patti, after seven years. The realization that Linda has had it at least that long but is in much better condition (the last two years, I was feeding Patti thru a tube in her stomach four times a day, she could no longer swallow) had me both amazed, and hoping that she's got more than a few years left. The unfortunate reality is that it is going to kill her.
I am sorry for your loss. Seriously. Until you've watched a spouse (and the family) go through hell with sickness no one can understand how it changes your life forever. I fortunately, have not. But I have a couple of close friends that have, and I watched their pain as they went through the ordeal.
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 11-15-19, 11:07 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
I am sorry for your loss. Seriously. Until you've watched a spouse (and the family) go through hell with sickness no one can understand how it changes your life forever. I fortunately, have not. But I have a couple of close friends that have, and I watched their pain as they went through the ordeal.
I learned three things out of that whole experience:

1. It's amazing what you can accomplish when life forces you to face the situation, and you're too stupid to realize you can't do it.

2. Karmic balance. I lost a very loved wife. And in the process I gained another. My current wife was the 0700-1500 nursing aide shift to care for her, and was with Patti at the time she died. I was definitely rewarded for the efforts I put in.

3. Never underestimate the pleasant surprises you'll get in the process, and enjoy them. First off, my cat. Yes, my cat. Two shifts of nursing aides to assist me, Maggie at 0700-1500 and another woman 1500-2100 and put Patti to bed. At which point my cat Linus parks himself alongside her, 2100-0000 when I'd finally come to bed, coming to get me in the next room if she tried to get out of bed or do anything other than lie there and sleep. It gave me three hours to go on line, have a beer and just unwind so I could get to sleep. And on the day the EMT's came to rush Patti to the hospital for the last time, they had a hell of a time getting him out of the way.

Also, some of you may remember the photo shoot I did four years ago of the old bike shop I'd put together at the previous house in Montpelier. That was a major sanity block. Once the nursing aide came on duty I'd disappear across the driveway and start wrenching bikes. That, more than anything else, got me thru this.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 11-18-19, 02:27 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Linda doing backup on Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy"

Likes For dweenk:
Old 12-13-19, 06:15 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 707 Posts
It breaks my heart to see Linda with Parkinsons and not be able to sing. Her music in spanish is what i grew up listening to and when my dad showed me an early picture of her I instantly forgot about my 5th grade school crush.
Old 12-13-19, 06:18 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
It breaks my heart to see Linda with Parkinsons and not be able to sing. Her music in spanish is what i grew up listening to and when my dad showed me an early picture of her I instantly forgot about my 5th grade school crush.
Sometimes it's best to go with what they were than with what they are.
Old 12-13-19, 06:28 PM
Goofball

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
She let pompeo have it pretty good 😀
Likes For Goofball:
Old 12-13-20, 04:15 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
There's a really powerful 40-minute doc on HBO right now, called Linda and the Mockingbirds. She and Jackson Browne travel with some young Mexican Americans to Mexico and share their traditional music.

Old 12-22-20, 11:10 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
The full feature doc, Linda Ronstadt: the Sound of my Voice (2019) popped up on hbomax. Really good show.
Old 12-23-20, 07:51 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Wait everyone is staying on topic and talking about Linda Ronstadt and no one is discussing the fact that the brake cable is being run underneath the handlebars? WTF is happening to the C&V forum?
On her that cable looks awesome!
Old 12-23-20, 08:32 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I also had a super bigly crush on her in the late 70's and 80's!!
Ooooooooh baby baby......
Sad that she cannot sing anymore because of health issues.......
Really hope she gets better and sings again!
That's a nice thought, but not possible.
Old 12-23-20, 08:45 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
1. It's amazing what you can accomplish when life forces you to face the situation, and you're too stupid to realize you can't do it.
The version of this that I concocted for myself based on a lower-grade version of what you went through is: It's amazing what you can do and what you deal with when you don't have a choice.

As for Linda, my biggest memory is of 18 year old me pulling the car over to listen - no, not listen, be completely absorbed by - her singing "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me." It was dark, and it was just me, Linda and the night.. Four minutes of magic.
Old 12-24-20, 09:38 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy

Just thought I'd add to this thread with a mention of one of Linda's pals, Lowell George.
She sang some back up on a couple of George's tunes, and gave Little Feat quite a boost
when she recorded and released George's song, Willin'.
And speaking of Little Feat, a quick mention of another great one lost. The other half of one of the
greatest guitarist pairings ever. Paul Barrere. Who provided the perfect counterpoint to George's slide.
Photo by Peter Asher.
I met him. Richmond, VA at the 'slip. They were playing as the Blues Busters, I think. I drove 3 hours, met my bud at 5 pm at a running store, and off we went....I don't think he told his wife. At 2 am, Paul wrote him a note. "Dear Julie, please excuse Gene from gym class. He forgot his jockstrap." I don't understand why she wasn't just thrilled. She let me stay there but Gene spent the night in my VW van parked in the driveway.
Likes For RobbieTunes: