Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sweat in the eyes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sweat in the eyes

Old 07-24-20, 09:12 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Sweat in the eyes

Can someone give suggestions on how to keep sweat out of the eyes while riding? It is getting really hot and humid here in Atlanta. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave
Old 07-24-20, 09:17 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Halo II is the answer, nothing is perfect, but really good
Likes For Archwhorides:
Old 07-24-20, 10:58 PM
yamsyamsyams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Many wear a cycling cap or du-rag underneath the helmet to catch the sweat.
Likes For yamsyamsyams:
Old 07-24-20, 11:14 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I have been using a Sweat Gtr. They do a pretty good job of directing sweat away from your eyes.
Old 07-24-20, 11:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
A diet change. No, it won't stop the sweat but it will no longer sting - reduce salt intake big time. No, not all at once, but a gradual reduction of sodium intake will be accompanied by a reduction in salt in sweat and urine as the body adjust to maintain a healthy lever of sodium. We excrete sodium because we eat it. In cultures where salt is very expensive, the who are not wealthy eat very little, sweat very little and have no issues at all (except being proper hosts to us westerners who have to have the salt they cannot afford).

I tried this in my racing days and it worked very well. Sweat in my eyes didn't sting. I needed very little salt replenishment (but still needed the potassium, still ate the bananas and drank the E.R.G. (now Vitalyte). I never documented my sodium intake, but it was probably around 1000 mg/day, half the RDA. Tough to go much lower buying food in the US and at that, I basically could not eat processed food and even most prepared by others. Lots of reading ingredients and cooking from scratch.

Sorry, not the easy fix. And it also has the drawback of making all the food out there taste WAY TOO salty!

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-24-20, 11:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Halo II is the answer, nothing is perfect, but really good
If that's the one with a yellow plastic horizontal ridge, I cannot wear it with that ridge in front. Pressure from the helmet on the ridge gives me a headache.
Old 07-25-20, 12:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I usually wear cotton bandannas. I have so many of 'em I can wear a fresh one every day for two weeks and still have some left over. It's mostly handy in humid weather when the sweat doesn't seem to evaporate quickly. On dry hot days the sweat evaporates quickly enough that I may not bother with a bandanna. This summer has been unusually humid.

Occasionally I'll ride without a bandanna. Of my three helmets the Bell Formula MIPS is best designed to channel sweat away from the forehead and eyes. It -- and some of the other Bells including the Z20 and Stratus -- have a sweat guide pad that works well. It channels sweat to a single point about an inch in front of the face, where it drips. Sometimes the wind blows it back, but it still works pretty well for folks who'd rather not wear a bandanna or anything else on their heads.

The POC is better ventilated (although the Bell is pretty good too), and the simpler harness and pad also seem to work pretty well.
Old 07-25-20, 07:54 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A diet change. No, it won't stop the sweat but it will no longer sting - reduce salt intake big time. No, not all at once, but a gradual reduction of sodium intake will be accompanied by a reduction in salt in sweat and urine as the body adjust to maintain a healthy lever of sodium. We excrete sodium because we eat it. In cultures where salt is very expensive, the who are not wealthy eat very little, sweat very little and have no issues at all (except being proper hosts to us westerners who have to have the salt they cannot afford).

I tried this in my racing days and it worked very well. Sweat in my eyes didn't sting. I needed very little salt replenishment (but still needed the potassium, still ate the bananas and drank the E.R.G. (now Vitalyte). I never documented my sodium intake, but it was probably around 1000 mg/day, half the RDA. Tough to go much lower buying food in the US and at that, I basically could not eat processed food and even most prepared by others. Lots of reading ingredients and cooking from scratch.

Sorry, not the easy fix. And it also has the drawback of making all the food out there taste WAY TOO salty!

Ben
That's very interesting. Have to admit, I didn't expect this response. I sometimes eat a lot of salt. For instance, I ate a couple handfuls of peanuts this morning. IIRC too much sodium can increase blood pressure and increases risk of heart disease. Will probably look for ways to reduce sodium. Maybe that combined with bandanas will do the trick.

Dave
Old 07-25-20, 08:40 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Unless you've been diagnosed with high blood pressure, your sodium intake is fine. My salt loss through sweat is significant (it is the summer, after all) and a dietary change that reduced my sodium could have serious adverse effects.

The simple answer is a skullcap/doo-rag/headband under your helmet.
Old 07-25-20, 10:32 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I've been using Veo Strips this summer. I'm notorious in my club for being the guy you don't want to draft due to my excessive sweating. I'm not riding with the club right now but I'm riding a lot and it's been a pretty hot summer here in Austin also.

I wear a white skull cap and a veo strip just above my eyebrows and find the strip does the best job of diverting sweat I've experienced. The adhesive has no trouble keeping the strip in place throughout my 2-3 hour very sweaty rides. Just don't get them too close to your eyebrows unless you're looking to get some brow shaping done.

The obvious downside is they're single use, which makes them expensive if you ride a lot. I'm riding 4x a week, so I go through a box of 30 in about 7 weeks. For me though, they're worth it.

Made in the U.S. and invented by a guy from the Lake Tahoe area. Very personal service right now during their launch...there was a hand written thank you note in the package and after I provided a review, I got a short e-mail thanking me also. In a separate note, I also noted the cost and got a note back from them saying costs should go down as they ramp production.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-25-20, 11:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
No matter what you use, make sure to pull it down nearly to your eyebrows if it isn't working for you the first time you try it. Some do better than others, but none will do great if you don't find the position on you that they'll work well at.

I suffered for a couple months when over time, I got used to wearing my SweatVac further back on my head. I finally realized I needed to pull it down some in front and no more sweat in eyes.
Old 07-25-20, 11:23 AM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I use Head Sweats skull caps. Works fine for me.
Old 07-25-20, 11:33 AM
leo95se

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I stopped wearing cycling glasses. Not ideal because keeping debris and bugs out of eyes is important but I found when I wear them it’s significantly worse, and sweat drips onto the lens which makes me nuts.
Without them I get nice airflow on my face, and that keeps sweat rolling to the back of my head.
Old 07-25-20, 12:06 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I'm happy with a do rag or my Headsweats cycling cap. Neither is 100% effective, but both work pretty well.
Old 07-25-20, 12:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
No matter what you use, make sure to pull it down nearly to your eyebrows if it isn't working for you the first time you try it. Some do better than others, but none will do great if you don't find the position on you that they'll work well at.

I suffered for a couple months when over time, I got used to wearing my SweatVac further back on my head. I finally realized I needed to pull it down some in front and no more sweat in eyes.
For me, it's exactly the opposite. I have to push it back up to where my hairline was when I was 30. If its down to my brow the sweat runs into my eyes like nobody's business. With it pushed back, the sweat runs down behind my ears and off my chin - which I find annoying but at least I can still see.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-25-20, 01:27 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Another vote for Halo. Lots of options so you may need to try some before you find what works best for you.
Old 07-25-20, 04:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
This is probably a really bad idea, but what happens if you run some stick antiperspirant above your eyebrows?
Old 07-25-20, 05:29 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This is probably a really bad idea, but what happens if you run some stick antiperspirant above your eyebrows?
I:m thinking getting some of that antiperspirant in your eyes could be really bad.

DrIsotope. I was not suggesting a rapid change to a very low salt diet but one taking months to pull off. I started in the dead of winter and had it fine tuned maybe late July. I did not give up on using E.R.G., (now called Vitalyte) in all my waterbottles.
Old 07-25-20, 07:24 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
I don't remember where I heard this but Vaseline or even Chapstick on your eyebrows directs the sweat out of your eyes. Works like a charm. Keeps your eyebrows from getting chapped, too. (Never melts and drips into your eyes, BTW.)
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 07-25-20, 07:38 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
I don't remember where I heard this but Vaseline or even Chapstick on your eyebrows directs the sweat out of your eyes. Works like a charm. Keeps your eyebrows from getting chapped, too. (Never melts and drips into your eyes, BTW.)
Funny thought. Bag Balm would work just as well. But I would get a second tin of it.
Old 07-25-20, 08:08 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I:m thinking getting some of that antiperspirant in your eyes could be really bad.

DrIsotope. I was not suggesting a rapid change to a very low salt diet but one taking months to pull off. I started in the dead of winter and had it fine tuned maybe late July. I did not give up on using E.R.G., (now called Vitalyte) in all my waterbottles.
One summer years ago I put sunblock on my forehead. NEVER AGAIN! Talk about burning eyes. Thank goodness I had a bottle with me that had just water in it.

Cheers
Old 07-25-20, 08:15 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
One summer years ago I put sunblock on my forehead. NEVER AGAIN! Talk about burning eyes. Thank goodness I had a bottle with me that had just water in it.

Cheers
I think that's a mistake that everybody makes exactly once.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-25-20, 09:00 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
If that's the one with a yellow plastic horizontal ridge, I cannot wear it with that ridge in front. Pressure from the helmet on the ridge gives me a headache.
I've been using the Halo for so many years on my daily commutes, that I have a small depression in my forehead that the silicon strip fits into. Either that or I wear it a little lower than the helmet rim.
Old 07-27-20, 01:34 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Can someone give suggestions on how to keep sweat out of the eyes while riding? It is getting really hot and humid here in Atlanta. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave
A little headband. A lot of people recommended Halo but that was not available for me so I picked what looked like the next best thing on Amazon, Grip Grab or something, and it works wonders. It does get completely soaked as in, when I stop at the top of a climb I could wring it and lots of sweat drops out, but somehow even though it must surely be fully saturated, no sweat falls into my eyes any longer. And I tend to sweat quite a bit.
Old 07-27-20, 08:56 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I've been riding with/wearing a Walz cap for the past two years. The cap does a good job of keeping sweat out of my eyes. My issue though is the sweat landing on the inside of my sunnies, causing me visibility issues. Although I don't blame the that on the Walz cap. So, in short, I recommend the cap for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.