Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 01:51 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I was non-exempt salary when I was a reporter. Basically, it was assumed that I worked a minimum of 40 hours a week and did not track hours. If there was some extraneous event that forced me to work a substantial amount of overtime, I could get extra pay, but it was kind of discouraged to submit that, except for the sports reporters.
Old 08-29-18, 02:22 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I've done salary (37.5h/week) with overtime pay -but as mentioned above- it wasn't a good idea to ask for it too often. I only ever put in for it if I had to come in on a weekend.

A few times I stayed really late and my manager asked why I didn't submit an OT form. I always responded "I don't claim overtime because you don't give me **** for coming in late all the time."
Old 09-03-18, 09:15 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
The problem with a lot of race type group rides is the weekend warrior crowd treats them like legit no holds barred closed street races and they do stupid, dangerous **** which causes crashes and pisses off drivers.There are exceptions to this rule, but like MDcatV I tend to stick to a few groups that I trust.
I go to local race rides 4x a week - just go fast enough and the only guys left are people you can trust.
Old 09-04-18, 06:59 AM
topflightpro

Took a car load of stuff to the local rescue mission this week. Sent a box of stuff to my brother and nephews. And took two large boxes of stuff to local consignment stores.

Also threw out or recycled a ton of stuff.

I've put in calls to a couple other nonprofits to donate old, too large professional clothing.

Ultimately, I opted to just do everything the easy way rather than have a garage sale. I may still post some things to craigslist or my company's internal classifieds. (I'm a little embarrassed to use the company classifieds though. I mean, some people sell all kinds of crap, and it would be a good place to try to sell my dress shirts. I have about a dozen of them (11 Brooks Brothers, 1 Banana Republic) that are just too big for me. A few have seen quite a bit of use. About half have been worn fewer than a half dozen times. And one or two may not have been worn at all.
Old 09-04-18, 09:55 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
When you get older you look more forward to getting rid of stuff than actually getting stuff.

I still have clothes from the 90's.
Old 09-04-18, 11:36 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by furiousferret
When you get older you look more forward to getting rid of stuff than actually getting stuff.

Yes. I find myself more and more wanting to live a minimalist life. This conflicts, however, with the hording tendencies that I inherited from my mother and grandmother.
Old 09-05-18, 03:02 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Has anyone tried the IRS Witholding calculator recently?

I did it at the beginning of the year when the tax stuff changed so I could update my W-4, which I did, and it gave a reasonable answer.

I did it again yesterday to double check, and now it says my tax liability will be $0 and I'll overpay by thousands of dollars if I continue what I'm doing. Considering what I make this seems unlikely and I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong or the calculator is broken.
Old 09-05-18, 04:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret

I know I have at least one article of clothing from the 80s -- my letter jacket. (Still fits, thanks to cycling!) Oh and a pair of Birkenstocks that has been recorked and resoled twice.
Old 09-06-18, 07:23 AM
topflightpro

I bought a used wheelset online. The guy lives about three hours away in another state. These are the shipping rates from BikeFlights. It's actually faster and cheaper to use FedEx Ground over FedEx Express. Kind of blew my mind.

Also, FedEx tracking says the wheelset, which was delivered to FedEx this morning, will be delivered by the end of the day today. I don't know if I really expect that, but we will see.
Old 09-06-18, 12:05 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by topflightpro

I bought a used wheelset online. The guy lives about three hours away in another state. These are the shipping rates from BikeFlights. It's actually faster and cheaper to use FedEx Ground over FedEx Express. Kind of blew my mind.

Also, FedEx tracking says the wheelset, which was delivered to FedEx this morning, will be delivered by the end of the day today. I don't know if I really expect that, but we will see.
If I had to guess, I'd say Express is guaranteed, and that's why it's more expensive. But it definitely is strange. Would be impressive if they did same day for a wheelset for $16.
Old 09-07-18, 07:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I've forgotten what it was like to be sore in the more "gym exercise" parts of your body.

We've got two young boys that ride the greenway with me sometimes. They've had a lot of construction making it difficult to navigate recently. It's been time, so bought a hitch and am picking up the rack after work today.

The freaking Curt hitch, what a total POS to install. It's beefy and solid, but the holes didn't line up for ****. I had to use ratchet straps around the hitch and the other end around the rear wheel to pull the arm of the hitch so the holes lined up.

Yeah, I left the bolts I already had in loose enough for some slop.

It's on, that thing is NEVER coming back off.

Upper body is so sore from pressing that thing up and down and getting the bolts in.
Old 09-07-18, 10:31 AM
topflightpro

Weird. I've installed several Curt hitches and they've all lined up perfectly. Granted, the instructions are often not very good, but that is why I typically google it first to watch a video or two to find out the tricks and tips Curt doesn't include.
Old 09-07-18, 11:21 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Could be Curt is good and Mitsubishi isn't the best at matching dimensions.
Old 09-09-18, 10:36 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
A friend just started riding and "leads" an easy ride with many beer stops. She and I managed to get my wife to come along (my wife has a bike but doesn't ride ever and almost can't even ride).

At the end of the "ride" (6 hours and 22 miles) we have one block of hill to get home and my wife powered up half way super hard and then ran out of gas.

We sat down inside.

Kairee: "My guads hurt".
Me: "you dialed it up to 400 watts on that hill tho"
Kairee: "I droped the hamer"

LOL
Old 09-11-18, 10:05 AM
topflightpro

There's a hurricane heading my way. Despite living a couple hundred miles inland, it could still be a Category 3 storm when it gets here. I'm debating whether to go out to my in-laws or stay through the storm.

My wife is fine. She took a new job that is 4 hours west of us, so we are now living apart full time. (It was only part time the last two years.)

And I did not get the job I applied for up in Pennsylvania. It was a cool position that paid well, and I really wanted it. But I wasn't exactly sure I wanted to move there. It also would have greatly increased the distance between my wife and me.
Old 09-11-18, 12:25 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
My boss just bought a fixer upper on one of the barrier islands. His financing almost did not go through due to how bad the roof is. He was eventually able to get the mortgage reapproved, but he is now facing issues related to flood insurance due to the roof still not being fixed a month later. Apparently the contractors entirely dropped the ball and the roof still is not done, and if it isn't done by Friday he was told that his house will no longer be covered. There is a non negligible chance that when the hurricane hits his house may be uninsured...
Old 09-11-18, 12:30 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Yeah, that's a tough call.

My parents are on the coast, right in the path, but they've decided to stay. They're about 30 feet ASL, not quite half a mile from the intracoastal waterway, and about 3/4 mile from the beach.

Storm surge is supposed to be 15-20 feet.

I wish they would leave, but they're both still pretty fit, only in their 60s, and they don't want to leave, so I can't make them.
Old 09-11-18, 12:32 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
My boss just bought a fixer upper on one of the barrier islands. His financing almost did not go through due to how bad the roof is. He was eventually able to get the mortgage reapproved, but he is now facing issues related to flood insurance due to the roof still not being fixed a month later. Apparently the contractors entirely dropped the ball and the roof still is not done, and if it isn't done by Friday he was told that his house will no longer be covered. There is a non negligible chance that when the hurricane hits his house may be uninsured...
I would think in that case the bank would go to war with the insurer and it would get sorted out. The bank has an even bigger stake in the house than your boss does.

I would still be unable to sleep though if I were him.
Old 09-13-18, 08:05 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Tried to convince my parents to bail yesterday, my mom was ready, but my dad wanted to stay. She didn't want to leave him alone, so they're both staying. Looks like it's tracking every so slightly north of them (30 miles maybe) so hopefully they won't get the worst of it.
Old 09-13-18, 02:35 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
https://www.velonews.com/2018/09/new...of-gfns_478621

Haute buys GFNS.

Let's see where this goes. I couldn't go, but had a work group do the Boone GFNS event. They said it was pretty well done, but was NOT very good about route markings or having attendants at route turns directing people. Maybe I was faster coming through, but AOMM had police and volunteers at every route turn. Like every turn. Not sure people's experiences with either.

It sounds silly, but the power of the finisher medal (and a nice one) can be a participation driver. Our folks also said there were no finisher items at all. It was a bit of a bum to finish AOMM and get a patch when people run "Hungry Turkey 5k" at Thanksgiving and get massive bling. Lol.
Old 09-13-18, 08:17 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Just ordered a dropper and some really meatty tires for my mountain bike. Going to be riding in Moab here in a few weeks and my skills are no good. Hopefully gonna have a fun time on some really rad terrain.
Old 09-14-18, 06:30 AM
topflightpro

I took my rather old 26" FS mtb out a couple weeks ago. Either I need to pump up the rear shock or it is shot, because the suspension linkage was sitting up against the seat tube most of the ride - when it wasn't banging off it, that is.
Old 09-14-18, 12:17 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I took my rather old 26" FS mtb out a couple weeks ago. Either I need to pump up the rear shock or it is shot, because the suspension linkage was sitting up against the seat tube most of the ride - when it wasn't banging off it, that is.
If you haven't ridden a "modern" mountain bike in a while, you'll be blown away at how good the more recent stuff is. Like.. I would have a hard time telling someone to buy anything (even top, of the top line) from like 2014 or older. As an example, my 120 xc bike with xc tires rides better on downhills than an old 26inch dh bike with full squish suspension setup. It's actually crazy.
Old 09-14-18, 05:09 PM
topflightpro

That's what I keep hearing.
Old 09-17-18, 06:46 AM
topflightpro

Now that the hurricane has mostly passed, we are getting hit with a bunch of tornado warnings. My coworkers were wondering where do we go in our building in the event of a tornado.

I told them we just have to go to the basement, and that if you hit Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B, A, B, Start, Start, the elevator will take you there.

I don't think they get the reference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.