Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What Would America Look Like

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 05-24-07, 01:47 PM
JumboRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it were illegal to use a motor vehicle for any point-to-point of less than 10 miles. I know, it is not doable for a billion reasons, but could you imagine the affect?
Old 05-24-07, 01:50 PM
Zeuser
e-Biker

Bikes: Gary Fisher, Strong GT-S eBike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
McDonald's would go out of business.
Old 05-24-07, 02:09 PM
mtnwalker

Bikes: '84 Centurion Accordo RS, '06 Gary Fisher Marlin, '06 Schwinn Fastback 27, '06 Litespeed Teramo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot less traffic thats for sure. But that is impractical especially for those who have to haul, carry a whole bunch of stuff like bags of rice, construction stuff, gardeners, etc. What would be better is if a law was passed that is similar to some Asian countries that are very congested right now. In the Philippines cars in the city are given stickers by the DMV equivalent there that specifies what days those cars can and cannot be used. If applied properly people here will be forced to plan better and carpool, ride bikes, use public transit and such. Either that or buy a second car that will cover the other days.
Old 05-24-07, 02:13 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The accident rates would plummet because most accidents are close to home.
Old 05-24-07, 02:14 PM
Elusor
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeuser
McDonald's would go out of business.
win win win
Old 05-24-07, 02:17 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe the corner grocery store would come back.
Old 05-24-07, 02:18 PM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I beg to differ on the McDonalds - they would turn into refueling stations...
Old 05-24-07, 02:20 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtnwalker
A lot less traffic thats for sure. But that is impractical especially for those who have to haul, carry a whole bunch of stuff like bags of rice, construction stuff, gardeners, etc.
I won't quibble about "impractical", but I will point out that such things do get hauled all the time without motor vehicles -- just not in the United States. People don't have cars, or more to the point, have drivable roads. And they haul all of the above. I saw suspension bridges in Nepal, footbridges rather than vehicle bridges, made with steel cables and uprights. That construction material was brought for days up footpaths, with fifty or a hundred porters to carry a big cable or steel beam. And check out what they're doing with bikes in Rwanda! Or look at what organizations like Bikes Not Bombs are doing to supply cargo bikes and trailers in Ghana!

We say "impossible" when we mean "impractical" and "impractical" when we mean "inconvenient". As you can see by looking at what's done elsewhere, these words have only local truth based on current situations. Let gas go to $10 a gallon, and we'll see how "impractical" it is to do hauling in the US with bicycles.
Old 05-24-07, 02:22 PM
JumboRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think public transit would be useful everywhere.
I think traffic would ease.
I think people would move back to the cities.
I think bikes would be more plentiful than vehicles on many arterial roads.
Old 05-24-07, 02:24 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JumboRider
I think public transit would be useful everywhere.
I think traffic would ease.
I think people would move back to the cities.
I think bikes would be more plentiful than vehicles on many arterial roads.
This would be a good thing!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-24-07, 02:31 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well, it sure would make moving to a new home a longer, more physical process.
Maybe horses and wagons would make a comeback! Well..that might not be as attractive to cyclists as some might think.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-24-07, 02:32 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by chipcom
Well, it sure would make moving to a new home a longer, more physical process.
Depends, there's always Swedish Modern minimalism!

Old 05-24-07, 02:40 PM
mtnwalker

Bikes: '84 Centurion Accordo RS, '06 Gary Fisher Marlin, '06 Schwinn Fastback 27, '06 Litespeed Teramo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
We say "impossible" when we mean "impractical" and "impractical" when we mean "inconvenient". As you can see by looking at what's done elsewhere, these words have only local truth based on current situations. Let gas go to $10 a gallon, and we'll see how "impractical" it is to do hauling in the US with bicycles.
I mean impractical. Lets say you are going to Costco to buy your groceries/home stuff/etc. NO way that stuff can fit on those bikes you showed. Even if it did, if you are living where there are hills like that over in Antioch, Pittsburgh, Livermore, etc that would be painful. And how about if you are a contractor and you have to buy lumber, bags of cement, mulch, a door, a cabinet? The multiple trips alone will kill any profitability or progress.
Old 05-24-07, 02:53 PM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I think it's impossible to legislate common sense....
Old 05-24-07, 03:00 PM
scottyk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or maybe people would downsize the amount of stuff that they have. That way, when they move, they could transport everything that they own by a few loads of a bike and trailer. You could have your friends help you and use their bikes too.
Old 05-24-07, 03:14 PM
thebankman
Stooge

Bikes: one of each

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There would be a lot of junk littering the roads if people couldn't easily transport large items for sale or to trash. Similar to what my neighborhood looks like, with neighbors hauling their unwanted items to the street corner to be taken by other neighbors or hauled away by the city dept. of public works. Except there would be a lot more couches, old projection TV's, etc. which people already don't want to deal with and illegally leave it on the street.
Old 05-24-07, 03:23 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I think the government should just tax gas to raise the price. Hey, add a $3 per gallon tax to gas in addition to the current taxes. Offset my income taxes by gas tax. Use a portion of the proceeds to develop public transportation instead of building more highways. European countries do this. Their gasoline prices are significantly higher than ours in the U.S. and I wouldn't say that it has had much of an impact on their "development" and profitable businesses.

And gas at $7-$10 a gallon still gives the rich the option to drive around their 8,10, 12 cylinder vehicles. It would take me off the roads for most things. But truthfully, most of us could get 90 percent of what we need to do with the use of other transportation if it were dependable, cost effective, and readily available. I know I'm going to hear the argument about the salesman, construction worker, etc. that need their vehicle to do business. No argument from me on that... just price the cost of gas into your end product. It's just a cost of doing business and if your product is necessary for us or we want it bad enough.. we'll pay the higher price (just like we do for gas.)

I need my car at times too. When I do, i'll pay whatever I have to for the gas. For most people, driving habits haven't changed with gas prices going from $1 per gallon to $3.50 per gallon. But, I think at $10 per gallon they would. It's also nice to know that you could avoid paying some taxes by not buying gasoline... it would actually be more fair... the rich that could afford lots of gas and buy it would be paying a larger portion of the taxes.. (I would encourage them to have 16 cylinder vehicles that get 4 mpg).. and the proceeds would go toward buses, trains, light rail, MUP's, and bike lanes.
Old 05-24-07, 03:23 PM
jmeier
The wrong side of normal

Bikes: '98 GT Agressor/ just gifted Iron Horse Maverick/ Cannondale Synapse Sport (FAST)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take to distance from 10 to 4 miles and try it then, with exceptions for heavy load days...
for some inspiration, just look to Europe, where until a few years ago, people did daily shopping and walked/rode to most places they went on a daily basis. if it was too far for that, they took mass transit...
I try to live near work and amenities...thats my decision...2 min to store on bike, 5 min to about 20 restaurants, 18 min to work, 10 min to theater...
people are jealous that its so simple for us to get what we need, yet they are the ones who chose to live in a McMansion in the burbs with only 1 road out of their subdivision and 5 miles to the grocery store on a 6 lane road... suckers
Old 05-24-07, 03:26 PM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
What would American look like? Like a lot of the rest of the world!
Old 05-24-07, 03:27 PM
lima_bean

Bikes: Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing that would REALLY happen:

People would move farther out into the suburbs. Cities would suffer massive population decline. Everyone would drive 11 miles to the store.

after 8pm and on weekends every city would look like downtown chicago at night, or that first scene in 28 days later. (you can go blocks and blocks among the skyscrapers without seeing a single car or person after 8pm or on sundays here, the loop completely evacuates).

Last edited by lima_bean; 05-25-07 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-24-07, 03:31 PM
mtnwalker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
It's also nice to know that you could avoid paying some taxes by not buying gasoline... it would actually be more fair... the rich that could afford lots of gas and buy it would be paying a larger portion of the taxes.. (I would encourage them to have 16 cylinder vehicles that get 4 mpg).. and the proceeds would go toward buses, trains, light rail, MUP's, and bike lanes.
Agreed. I would happily get rid of my vehicle too if there was reliable public transportation and I was paying less taxes. Unfortunately though this may not happen at all. The US is just too car-centric and people in power are tied to the oil industry. Even at $10/gallon people will still drive their vehicles no matter what. Maybe if an EMP bomb went off a mile up in the atmosphere then people will stop driving cars.
Old 05-24-07, 03:39 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by lima_bean
The only thing that would REALLY happen:

People would move farther out into the suburbs. Cities would suffer massive population decline.

after 8pm and on weekends every city would look like downtown chicago at night, or that first scene in 28 days later. (you can go blocks and blocks among the skyscrapers without seeing a single car or person after 8pm or on sundays here, the loop completely).
Sounds like cycling heaven!

Old 05-24-07, 03:41 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtnwalker
I mean impractical. Lets say you are going to Costco to buy your groceries/home stuff/etc. NO way that stuff can fit on those bikes you showed.
No? Really? You buy so much at Costco that you couldn't even fit it on the coffee bike or the trailer bike? Well hey, if that's true, all I can say is that if you lived like most of the world, you wouldn't be buying so much stuff that you couldn't carry it home on a bicycle

This is the core of the issue, I think, mtnwalker: if we want to continue to "live like Americans", then yes, we "need" cars. But "living like Americans" is a historical anomaly. It's not the destiny of the human race and it's not something the planet can support. As a friend said to me at the time of the collapse of the Soviet Union, "there's not enough oil in the world for them to live like we do."

I'm not a luddite and I'm not into sackcloth and ashes. I just think that this is where our consumption is eventually going to take us: into a time where we're going to learn some new "practical" realities.
Old 05-24-07, 03:58 PM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Netherlands with hills.
Old 05-24-07, 04:00 PM
thelazywon

Bikes: 2013 Lynskey R340, 2014 Specialized Tricross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who is going to do the farming? Or are we going to hand carry the crops from the field to the barn? Get a grip. America must have powered trans. to remain the incredibly rich place it is. I guess we could ban cars altogether, but get used to buying a 20 dollar bike instead of a zillion dollar Cervelo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.